Register

Mixed Martial Arts

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

24 Feb 2018 17:12

StyrbjornSterki wrote:Could it be that Rockhold reads the CN forums? Because he's moving to LHW.

I think that's a good move.

RE: my walking weight opinion: He says he is 210 so he should only be able to cut to 200.
jmdirt

06 Mar 2018 19:27

The latest rumour is that Dana White is shopping for the next fight for Brock Lesnar. A blogger at The Bloody Elbow suggests DW should book Lesnar -v- Bones Jones at the Tokyo Dome (which is beyond USADA's authority) and stipulate there will be NO drug testing. He's speculating 70,000 live gate plus a million PPVs (but I think the PPVs for such a fight would be much higher).

And Bellator is slowly drifting toward becoming a full-time Celebrity MMA. They've just announced a May contest between Roy "Big Country" Nelson (who was just eliminated from the heavyweight tournament by Matt Mitrione) against Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipović. And there's a rumour that won't die that the Ice Man hisself, Chuck Liddell, is interested in one more fight ...somewhere. Liddell and DW are BFFs but I have suspicions that even Dana White isn't mercenary enough to put 48-year-old Chuck back in the ring against any of his current stable of LHWs. So if it happens, my money's on Bellator.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

Re:

07 Mar 2018 03:20

StyrbjornSterki wrote:The latest rumour is that Dana White is shopping for the next fight for Brock Lesnar. A blogger at The Bloody Elbow suggests DW should book Lesnar -v- Bones Jones at the Tokyo Dome (which is beyond USADA's authority) and stipulate there will be NO drug testing. He's speculating 70,000 live gate plus a million PPVs (but I think the PPVs for such a fight would be much higher).

And Bellator is slowly drifting toward becoming a full-time Celebrity MMA. They've just announced a May contest between Roy "Big Country" Nelson (who was just eliminated from the heavyweight tournament by Matt Mitrione) against Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipović. And there's a rumour that won't die that the Ice Man hisself, Chuck Liddell, is interested in one more fight ...somewhere. Liddell and DW are BFFs but I have suspicions that even Dana White isn't mercenary enough to put 48-year-old Chuck back in the ring against any of his current stable of LHWs. So if it happens, my money's on Bellator.

I'll only watch Lesnar vs. Jones if its to the death! :eek: :lol:
jmdirt

07 Mar 2018 20:34

I've always thought letting Cyborg into the UFC was a mistake because she would kill their women's division (and for not necessarily good reasons). She was (roughly) a 15-to-1 favourite at UFC 222, and how many fans would pay $60 USD to watch what was predicted to be such a lopsided fight? She's not an 'elegant' fighter by any definition I am familiar with, so her fights lack aesthetic appeal. Knowing what a mismatch it was before they made it, it beggars imagination why they would make such a fight the main event at a UFC (as opposed to a Fight Night or a UFC on Fox). Early reports are it was the lowest-selling PPV they've had in 10 years, even lower than Demitrious :"Mighty Mouse" Johnson's numerous underperformances. And to add insult to injury, she'll be paid half a million USD, not including any win bonus or a rumoured percentage of the gate. Which adds up to a rather un-healthy chunk of an already meagre profit.

PEDs dealer to the stars, Victor Conte (of BALCO fame) has offered that he thinks that Jon Jones is the victim of tainted steroids. Not a tainted supplement, a tainted steroid. The steroids themselves are among the more expensive of PEDs, which makes it unlikely to the extreme that they could accidentally find their way into a bottle of much cheaper "supplements" such as creatine or hydroxycut. He thinks Jones believed what he was taking was some anabolic steroid or other which he believed was undetectable, but which contained at least some detectable level of Turinabol, which is an old school GDR PED (think: young Jan Ullrich), and is highly detectable.

My regular MMA news aggregator crashed last week and I missed this bit of news. Jones latest doping violation occurred at a fight in Anaheim, California, and last week he appeared before the California athletic commission to argue his case. It did not go well for Bones, in part because his only defence came from an "expert" witness who based his argument on information from a body building website. During the hearing, board members also spoke disdainfully to Jones, borderline mockingly, and ended up lifting his California fighting licence and fining him $205,000. Jones didn't help his case in the least by admitting he had never read USADA's mandatory anti-PEDs training guide, and that the signature on the training materials attesting that he had read them was a forgery.

And he still has the USADA "come to Jesus" to look forward to, which could result in a 1 to 4 year (retroactive) suspension. My guess is he's looking at the bigger end of that unless he comes up with a more cogent defence. He "technically" could re-apply for a California licence as early as this coming August but board members suggested they would not consider it until he has served out whatever suspension USADA hands out.

Implied but not stated, Conte clearly numbers among those who are in a position to know who believe that there are anabolic steroids which USADA's tests don't catch.

The latest Ice Man rumour is that Liddel is set to sign a 3-fight deal with Bellator, after which he will be paid to be their shill.

And speaking of Bellator, I found this Cro Cop meme amusing.

If you weren't aware, his motto is "Right leg, hospital. Left leg, cemetery."

Some are questioning whether the upcoming Bellator fight is legal because Cro Cop took a Rizin fight in Japan (and out of USADA's jurisdiction) while he was supposed to have been serving a 2-year USADA suspension for an HGH positive. I like watching Cro-Cop fight because he is a legitimate real-world bad-ass. His day job is as a police anti-terrorist commando. And there's no mystery to his fight trategy. The overwhelming majority of his bouts end with somebody knocked out.

And under the heading, "You call that news? an Australian study claims MMA fighters are the most aggressive weight-cutters in all of pugilism.

06 Apr 2018 03:57

jmdirt

06 Apr 2018 13:53

His pride and elevated sense of self worth are higher than most anyone I can think of. What a stupid, criminal thing to do. I hope there’s some actual consequences.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

06 Apr 2018 17:15

Jspear wrote:His pride and elevated sense of self worth are higher than most anyone I can think of. What a stupid, criminal thing to do. I hope there’s some actual consequences.

I found his over the top showman bravado entertaining. He has gone WAY beyond that with this criminal activity. He might have $100 Mil in the bank, but he just took away other fighters' ability to make money. The payday from this fight is what those people live on, now they won't get that check (actually they should get in from CMcG). What if Borg's eye doesn't heel correctly?! CMcG might have changed this kids life forever!

I don't buy pay per view, but I frequently go to a fun event to watch UFC. If CMcG does ever fight again I will not watch.
jmdirt

06 Apr 2018 17:19

He's done. He and Jon Jones should go into business together. I'm thinking maybe building demolitions, or hiring out to put on rowdy parties so the landlord will terminate your lease. Or a gourmet food truck.

At the moment it looks like three fighters will be pulled from the card because of that incident. One is one of McGregor's peeps, who was pulled as a disciplinary measure, and the other two were inside the bus and injured by flying glass. I don't see DW ever forgiving McGregor for muffing-up three fights on the same card.

On top of that, Max Holloway failed his medical (for reasons not yet disclosed) so the card is down to 10 fights and they've moved Magomedsharipov vs Bochniak to the headliner. The UFC can't give away tickets when the main event is a featherweight fight, even if it's a championship bout, so I expect a lot of people who'd bought PPVs & live tickets will be asking for their money back.

DW has remarked that he won't try to bail McGregor out this time. Oddsmakers are giving better than even money that McG will do jail time for this and lose his contract with the UFC.

06 Apr 2018 21:14

I just had a telephone conversation with a friend who is a YUGE fan of perfeshnal wrasslin'. He's seen the video of the loading dock incident and he SWEARS it was produced by Vince McMahon. He thinks there were too many cellphone videographers stationed too ideally to follow the action for it not to have been pre-planned coverage. And to him it bore all the earmarks of an unstaged (but staged) McMahon live event. And he also mentions that the WWE's biggest event of the year -- Wrestlemania -- happens to be scheduled to take place this weekend (albeit in a different city). So he also thinks this was McGregor auditioning for a job in the WWE. Which he passed, in flying colours.

Whilst we were on the phone I was watching the video of McGregor's court appearance (FF to ~33 minutes to see McGregor perp-walked into the courtroom). When it was done he was ordered to bond out for $50,000. I was surprised he didn't pull a gold Rolex President off his wrist and toss it to the judge and tell her, "Keep the change, sweetheart."

Re:

07 Apr 2018 15:18

You can take the thug off the streets, but you can never take the streets out of a thug.

This behavior also stinks of roid rage..
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

07 Apr 2018 15:31

That was my thought too.

(but, I have too say, that trolley throw beats any bike toss I've ever seen)
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

07 Apr 2018 15:45

Mr. McGregor is probably the 3rd dumbest pugilist/MMA fighter that I can recall of in my years of following combat sport.

Heres' my top five dummies...

1 - Mike Tyson
2 - Tommy Morrison
3 - Conar McGregor
4 - Jon Jones
5 - Evander Holyfield
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

07 Apr 2018 15:50

It's an occupational hazard. Not good to start from a low base, however.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re:

07 Apr 2018 15:53

macbindle wrote:It's an occupational hazard. Not good to start from a low base, however.

All the money in the world can't fix stupid, but it does however, allow stupidity to shine brightly. :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

07 Apr 2018 16:05

StyrbjornSterki wrote:I just had a telephone conversation with a friend who is a YUGE fan of perfeshnal wrasslin'. He's seen the video of the loading dock incident and he SWEARS it was produced by Vince McMahon. He thinks there were too many cellphone videographers stationed too ideally to follow the action for it not to have been pre-planned coverage. And to him it bore all the earmarks of an unstaged (but staged) McMahon live event. And he also mentions that the WWE's biggest event of the year -- Wrestlemania -- happens to be scheduled to take place this weekend (albeit in a different city). So he also thinks this was McGregor auditioning for a job in the WWE. Which he passed, in flying colours.

Whilst we were on the phone I was watching the video of McGregor's court appearance (FF to ~33 minutes to see McGregor perp-walked into the courtroom). When it was done he was ordered to bond out for $50,000. I was surprised he didn't pull a gold Rolex President off his wrist and toss it to the judge and tell her, "Keep the change, sweetheart."

Yep, there is a ton of stuff on the www about it being a planned/staged thing, but I have to repeat, he took money from other fighters and damaged Borg's eye.
jmdirt

07 Apr 2018 17:59

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was partially scriped/pre-arranged and Conor just took it way to far, the UFC loves to use fake drama, staged weigh-in brawls and Professional Wrestling stuff like that to ssell fights.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

09 Apr 2018 17:23

The plot thickens.

I found out that Dana DID attend Wrestlemania in New Orleans in support of Ronda Rousey. Las week, BTW, DW said Brock Lesnar was still under contract to the UFC and they're looking at the Miocic-va-Cormier winner (which means Miocic) for Lesnar's next fight.

And it looks like Rose Namajunas is fo realz. Thug controlled the ring and the pace of the fight for nearly the entire 25 minutes. And when it was done, Joanna's face looked like she'd used it to stop a runaway locomotive. By comparison, Namajuna's face looked like she'd just finished a Vogue cover shoot. On the bright side, Jklmnbhjklmnb's acting performance when they announced the decision bodes well for her future in the WWE.

I haven't watched it yet but R3's reviews at Wrestlemania generally are quite good.

And Dana's stance on McGregor seems already to be softening.

09 Apr 2018 20:44

Max Holloway is claiming the doctors pulled him from the UFC 223 fight just because they didn't like the way he looked. He says they'd been checking on him daily, including checking his vitals, in the days before the weigh-in, knowing he was undergoing weight-cutting all the while. They came to check on him the morning of the weigh-in and learning he still had a couple more pounds to go, and without even bothering to check his vitals, they DQ'd him.

Max was very conciliatory in his statement, even complimentary of the medical staff. The thing is, I don't know their protocol for making a statement to the press. I know USADA never comments on their findings unless the fighter makes a statement first, and especially if the fighter tries to weasel out of a positive by impugning the test. And this definitely is a matter of the fighter's right to medical privacy, so I don't know if they could make a statement, even if the fighter lied about why they'd DQ'd him. But I have a hard time swallowing the "they didn't like the way I looked" explanation.

10 Jun 2018 16:04

Romero missed wight again. He missed it for two reason: he has to cut 45-55 lbs, and he is max *CLINIC*. Actually its both amazing and dangerous that he can get so close to 155 from 200+. I know that he isn't doing the entire load at cut time, but his walking weight is 200+, I've even read as much as 220-225!

Covington? Interim champ, but can he become the champ?

Is Holm back in the mix? At 135, 145, both?
jmdirt

Re:

12 Jun 2018 17:22

jmdirt wrote:Romero missed wight again. He missed it for two reason: he has to cut 45-55 lbs, and he is max *CLINIC*. Actually its both amazing and dangerous that he can get so close to 155 from 200+. I know that he isn't doing the entire load at cut time, but his walking weight is 200+, I've even read as much as 220-225!...

Romero claims he missed it because a fight commissioner arbitrarily reduced his two-hour mulligan to just one hour. The two-hour mulligan is always taken with medical supervision, and the doctors were fine with him taking the full two hours, but the commissioner overruled them.

PreviousNext

Return to General