Register

Mixed Martial Arts

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Mixed Martial Arts

26 Jan 2012 21:55

I don't know if a thread has ever been started about the UFC or MMA in general, but I follow the sport alot and would like to discuss if any of you are game.

Here is what is coming on this weekend:

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFCFox2#/fight

A couple of pretty good fights here.

I haven't seen Davis fight except in highlights, and Evans is coming off of a long layoff. Davis is a lot "bigger", longer, etc. I think he takes it.

The fight I am really looking forward to is Bisping vs Sonnen. I would have rather seen Sonnen and Munoz, but Munoz got injured a couple of weeks ago. Props for Bisping for stepping up.

I really don't know who to pick. If it was 5 rounds I would easily pick Sonnen, but I think Bisping may be able to run from him for 3 rounds. Remember the only reason he lost to Henderson is he got caught late, else he would have won that fight with this strategy.

I can't stand either one of these guys, especially Sonnen. But, I would like for Sonnen to get another crack at Silva though I don't think Silva wants any part of that.
"He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife." - Al Czervik
User avatar ChrisE

26 Jan 2012 22:06

ChrisE wrote:I don't know if a thread has ever been started about the UFC or MMA in general, but I follow the sport alot and would like to discuss if any of you are game.

Here is what is coming on this weekend:

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFCFox2#/fight

A couple of pretty good fights here.

I haven't seen Davis fight except in highlights, and Evans is coming off of a long layoff. Davis is a lot "bigger", longer, etc. I think he takes it.

The fight I am really looking forward to is Bisping vs Sonnen. I would have rather seen Sonnen and Munoz, but Munoz got injured a couple of weeks ago. Props for Bisping for stepping up.

I really don't know who to pick. If it was 5 rounds I would easily pick Sonnen, but I think Bisping may be able to run from him for 3 rounds. Remember the only reason he lost to Henderson is he got caught late, else he would have won that fight with this strategy.

I can't stand either one of these guys, especially Sonnen. But, I would like for Sonnen to get another crack at Silva though I don't think Silva wants any part of that.

Great thread Chris E. I am a huge fan too. I want sonnen to win, so that he will fight anderson silva...with sonnen careers on ufc on the line just like he says in 136 :)
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

26 Jan 2012 22:15

I think jones would win over evans or davis.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

26 Jan 2012 22:40

User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

26 Jan 2012 22:41

First there was this.

Then this.

Now comes this

The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

26 Jan 2012 22:50

Zam_Olyas wrote:I think jones would win over evans or davis.

Nobody is beating Jones, though with Davis' size he may pose problems. I may be off base here with Davis beating Evans....Evans is a smart fighter and could very well get by him.

I have never seen a fighter like Jon Jones. I'm sure he will move up to HW eventually.
User avatar ChrisE

26 Jan 2012 22:57

Don't watch it much anymore, but I have to admit I think it's structured really well, and now that the rules are concise and the safety oversight is there, it's a very well run sport, especially the UFC, obviously.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

26 Jan 2012 22:58

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Don't watch it much anymore, but I have to admit I think it's structured really well, and now that the rules are concise and the safety oversight is there, it's a very well run sport, especially the UFC, obviously.

What I don't like is the fighters aren't free agents. Some of them make dirt.
User avatar ChrisE

27 Jan 2012 00:12

Yeah, I heard that on ESPN I think last week.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

27 Jan 2012 01:50

Did he even hear it? It wasn't that trashy and the UFC guy brought up good points on what progress they had made and how many millionaires they had made, and disputed some of the pay rate, saying the bottom line is that fighters get about 50% of revenue, just like other major sports. I think ESPN did bring up a good point about prelim fighters getting low pay while locked into 3-fight contracts and somewhat at the mercy of UFC and the promoters.

But White is exactly correct when he says ESPN never covers them and never does bios or anything on their fighters. Not on TV and not on the radio. The same criticisms have been leveled at ESPN from tennis, golf and other popular sports. ESPN covers football, baseball and basketball. All other sports are side shows to them.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

29 Jan 2012 08:07

Chael Sonnen has issues!

That was THE most bizarre post fight 'interview' I have ever seen.. Joe Rogan was like WTF just happened?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Chael+Sonnen+beats+Michael+Bisping+gives+bizarre+post+fight+interview/6068117/story.html
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964

29 Jan 2012 14:55

Spider1964 wrote:Chael Sonnen has issues!

That was THE most bizarre post fight 'interview' I have ever seen.. Joe Rogan was like WTF just happened?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Chael+Sonnen+beats+Michael+Bisping+gives+bizarre+post+fight+interview/6068117/story.html

He's an idiot. I understand trying to market yourself, but he has gone off the cliff.

After barely squeaking out a victory to not give your opponent credit is just total lack of class, on top of the shyt he was talking. Idiot. I am not a Silva fan but I hope Sonnen gets his *** kicked, then gets a beat down from the crowd at Rio. Serves his dumb*** right.

BTW, I had him winning 29-28, I thought he won the first and third round. Who was the idiot judge that had him 30-27 after he got worked in the second?
User avatar ChrisE

Ucf 143.

04 Feb 2012 02:01

User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

04 Feb 2012 06:54

My new favorite MMA guy wins again. Dude's 48, and looks like he's 28. Maybe the most amazing athlete in my lifetime.

User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

04 Feb 2012 14:02

Zam_Olyas wrote:Image

Im actually pretty excited about UFC 143......I think the Diaz v Conduit fight should be pretty good and it is for the interim Welterweight title as my favourite fighter Georges St Pierre is out after having surgery for his ACL in his left knee. Supposed to be back fighting in the Fall (which i think is about oct/nov/dec??)

And everybody loves Roy 'Big Country' Nelson. He looks like your average pub brawler...so i think he has a huge fanbase because so many people can relate to him....he's not your superfit, super ripped athlete...he has a massive gut and looks redneckish. I remember him fighting Junior Dos Santos (current heavyweight champ) at UFC 117 - Silva v Sonnen (man, that was an awesome fight too) and he is the first guy to take Dos Santos to a decision. He just kept getting pounded by Dos Santos but kept coming back for more. And his opponent is Fabricio Werdum......the first guy to finish Fedor Emelianenko.

So should be some good fights along with the man everybody loves to hate Josh Koscheck v Mike Pierce

Edit: Wouldn't it be awesome to have Bruce Buffer's job?? Being paid to announce the fighters and most likely having everything paid for by the UFC. Hotels, transport, food etc
The computer is smarter than me Bjarne, I no need to understand computer it need understand me - Carlos Sastre in Overcoming
RIP - Swordsman
RIP - Craig1985

Wallace wrote:In Lance's prime, you could take all the drugs you wanted, whenever you wanted. Ah, those were the days... If you put Contador on the program Lance was on in his prime, it would be like watching a bicycle duct-taped to the space shuttle go up the alps. You have to factor all that in when figuring out which one is the most talented
User avatar El Imbatido

04 Feb 2012 16:36

I hope Condit takes it, but I don't know. Diaz is tough.
User avatar ChrisE

04 Feb 2012 19:01

Just saw a 2 hour programme on Polish tv about Brock Lesnars career in MMA. I liked the guy from wwe.

In my opinion the greatest athlete in world history.

Could lift up 500 pounds no problem and at the same time do insane acrobatic moves like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32kaZifKHA

Anyway what an awesomme career and the fight against Shane Carwin where he got pummeled for 4 minutes straight, was just out of this world.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

05 Feb 2012 03:05

It's about to start now.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

05 Feb 2012 05:15

The Hitch wrote:In my opinion the greatest athlete in world history.

Let's see how he does when he's 48, like my guy. :)
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

05 Feb 2012 05:55

That was interesting...drama.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

Next

Return to General