Register

Mixed Martial Arts

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re:

07 Jun 2016 08:53

Too young, far to young for a guy whose providing for his family, and though I didn't share it he was popular with many fans but likely only had a few more big money fights coming to him, such a shame.
User avatar The Principal Sheep

Re: Re:

07 Jun 2016 18:27

The Principal Sheep wrote:

Too young, far to young for a guy whose providing for his family, and though I didn't share it he was popular with many fans but likely only had a few more big money fights coming to him, such a shame.

Yes too young. I wonder what caused the heart attack?
jmdirt

07 Jun 2016 22:41

jmdirt wrote:Yes too young. I wonder what caused the heart attack?

There's no story here unless the press can link his death to some fashion of drug abuse, PEDs or recreational (not that they haven't already tried), but the facts are he was a 42-year-old black man with a BMI of >30. The USA's CDC lists heart disease as the leading cause of death for all black men (24%), as well as for those in specifically his age bracket (21.8%). I doubt it's any more complicated than that. And unless there was a tox screen done, and something suspicious turns up, that's probably all we'll ever know.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

Re:

08 Jun 2016 13:42

StyrbjornSterki wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Yes too young. I wonder what caused the heart attack?

There's no story here unless the press can link his death to some fashion of drug abuse, PEDs or recreational (not that they haven't already tried), but the facts are he was a 42-year-old black man with a BMI of >30. The USA's CDC lists heart disease as the leading cause of death for all black men (24%), as well as for those in specifically his age bracket (21.8%). I doubt it's any more complicated than that. And unless there was a tox screen done, and something suspicious turns up, that's probably all we'll ever know.

Steroid use crossed my mind of course, but I was thinking genetic defect.

BMI is a useless measurement of health (especially for muscular athletes): a height to weight ratio tells you nothing about body composition. 5' 10", 200 lbs, 30% body fat, 5' 10", 200 lbs, 20% body fat, and 5' 10", 200 lbs, 10% body fat have the same BMI. What was his body composition? % body fat , % muscle (+other tissue)?
jmdirt

11 Jun 2016 19:12

Official COD was congestive hear failure.

21 Jun 2016 16:28

UFC's in-house rules require that a fighter must have made himself available for drug testing for the four months previous to a contest. But the date of his signing for UFC 200 (9 July, Las Vegas) left Brock Lesnar too little time to meet that provision, so they granted him an exemption.

And just to make up for missed opportunity, last week Lesnar was OOCed by USADA five times. Five.

I'm thinking USADA need to put fresh batteries in their randomizer.

Re:

21 Jun 2016 18:38

StyrbjornSterki wrote:UFC's in-house rules require that a fighter must have made himself available for drug testing for the four months previous to a contest. But the date of his signing for UFC 200 (9 July, Las Vegas) left Brock Lesnar too little time to meet that provision, so they granted him an exemption.

And just to make up for missed opportunity, last week Lesnar was OOCed by USADA five times. Five.

I'm thinking USADA need to put fresh batteries in their randomizer.

:eek: They can target test, but HFS Lesner is not important enough to test five times in a week! That's a waste of resources!
jmdirt

23 Jun 2016 14:33

Fox Sports reported a couple of days ago that Georges St Pierre is shopping for an un-retirement (title) fight. Because he sees (current champ) Michael Bisping as a push-over? That seems to be a widespread opinion. There's also that Bisping is very vocal in his criticism about fighters who previously had a TUE for TRT, or who he still believes are juiced. So maybe GSP sees a come-back as justifiable against an opponent he believes is cleans, and the fact The Count isn't widely viewed as a credible title holder is incidental. Regardless, I think its a bad idea because three years (obviously) has given GSP too much time to forget why he retired. Too much time to convince himself he was better at the end than he really was. Not to mention the symptoms of traumatic brain injury he cited among his reasons for retiring in the first place. The brain damage likely will only accelerate from this point.

The rumours of the sale of the UFC have been swirling for some weeks, and the UFC remain vehement in their denials, but now the 'pundits' are speaking of it as a done deal. The rest is just tidying up the loose ends.

EDIT:
And if you're a fan of Rampage Jackson, (after a year's layoff) he fights Satoshi Ishii tomorrow at Bellator 157. This will be Ishii's first fight in the USA, and Jackson is heavily favoured, but it is a catchweight fight and Ishii is the heavier by two and a half stone, and an Olympic gold medal judoka to boot. If he can get Jackson to the mat without Jackson turning his head about, this could be interesting.

25 Jun 2016 15:01

Rampage won, but the two minute 'highlight' real that I saw didn't look that great.
jmdirt

05 Jul 2016 14:52

Jackson looked rubbish but I'd say Ishii earned himself a return fight, should he want to fight in the USA again.

Matt Mitrione has been cleared to fight again on 16 July. Which seems a bit soon, since this happened to him just 24 June. But he's had an MRI and been cleared, so there you go. You have to love a fighter who'll accept such a quick turn-around, especially if he smiles from being punched in the face.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts

07 Jul 2016 14:30

Jon Jones had a suspicious OOC on 16 June and UFC have pulled him from the UFC 200 fight card. I can't find any speculation regarding the substance. When they fought before, both Cormier's and Jone's T/E ratios were upside-down, which is highly suspicious, but that was pre-USADA. UFC have announced Lesnar-Hunt will move to the headline fight, but I suppose there also remains the possibility that they could find someone mental enough to take a fight with Cormier on two day's notice (I'm thinking Alexander Gustaffson), presuming Cormier would agree to the switch. Jones' manager, in the meanwhile proclaims Bones is innocent.

07 Jul 2016 16:46

StyrbjornSterki wrote:Jon Jones had a suspicious OOC on 16 June and UFC have pulled him from the UFC 200 fight card. I can't find any speculation regarding the substance. When they fought before, both Cormier's and Jone's T/E ratios were upside-down, which is highly suspicious, but that was pre-USADA. UFC have announced Lesnar-Hunt will move to the headline fight, but I suppose there also remains the possibility that they could find someone mental enough to take a fight with Cormier on two day's notice (I'm thinking Alexander Gustaffson), presuming Cormier would agree to the switch. Jones' manager, in the meanwhile proclaims Bones is innocent.

Yeah, he's innocent alright...

His self destructive behavior will spell his doom.

It's too bad, I really enjoy watching him fight. He's one of the best I've ever seen but if he can't follow the rules in and out of the octagon, I'm afraid he'll be the MMA's version of Mike Tyson.. :confused:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

08 Jul 2016 15:59

Irondan wrote:
StyrbjornSterki wrote:... Jones' manager, in the meanwhile proclaims Bones is innocent.

Yeah, he's innocent alright...

His self destructive behavior will spell his doom.

It's too bad, I really enjoy watching him fight. He's one of the best I've ever seen but if he can't follow the rules in and out of the octagon, I'm afraid he'll be the MMA's version of Mike Tyson.. :confused:

Quite an apt comparison, IMHO.

Anderson "The Spider" Silva volunteered to fill in for Jones, and White accepted. Silva last fought at light heavy in 2012 (UFC 153), when he defeated Stephan Bonner. Tate-Nunes moves to the top of the card.

I still haven't found an 'intelligent guess' what Jones's positive was for but White has said it was for two banned substances.

EDIT:
Jones is blaming tainted supplements but the supplement company wasted no time countering that it could not be their product because they use no banned substances and have extensive independent testing done.

09 Jul 2016 16:23

Jones's B sample also came back positive. White says he tested for two different agents, which give me to believe he knows more about the particulars than he's letting on. White says he's not taking Jones's calls.

I still can't find even any educated guesses what it might have been (except peptides, which was a shot in the dark). This was Jones's sixth test of the year, which leaves the question, how did he suddenly come to fail? Did he fail to follow his customary program, did he decide this was a good time to try a new PED, or could USADA getting better at their job?

10 Jul 2016 23:25

The ladies division is wild! I like that any one of them could win on any given night! So does AN get RR or HH now? AN looked WAY bigger than MT.
jmdirt

11 Jul 2016 18:35

User avatar JackRabbitSlims

Re:

11 Jul 2016 22:39

jmdirt

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2016 14:21

I didn't remember that Dana White wasn't part of the original ownership group, but now that I reflect on the old days of the MMA I remember when the promoter was in huge financial difficulty, and even talked about shuttering the entire operation. I would assume that's when the White group took over now they're worth billions for their hard work and taking a gamble. What a great country! :D
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

12 Jul 2016 16:12

jmdirt wrote:The ladies division is wild! I like that any one of them could win on any given night! So does AN get RR or HH now? AN looked WAY bigger than MT.

Last I heard him remark to it, Dana said R3 will get whomever wears the belt on her return. I haven't looked into Nunes's "street weight" but the Brazilians across the board are notorious for their weight-cutting.

The Ferttitas bought the UFC about UFC 40, but even with all their financial backing (read: dad's money), it stayed underwater until UFC 100 (hindered, no doubt, by widespread misunderstanding of the sport, which Zuffa have made great headway in correcting). If MMA Payout's estimate of 1-1.2m is accurate (actual numbers won't be available for weeks yet), UFC 200 will be no threat to eclipse UFC 100 as the high water mark for PPV sales (@1.6m). Which will leave speculation what might have been if Jones-Cormier II had come off, but Jones-Cormier I only sold 800,000 PPVs.

Both Rashad Evans and Chael Sonnen are saying Jon Jones tested positive for two estrogen-blockers. This is a possible indicator he was on post-cycle therapy, coming off a "cycle" of anabolic steroids. Natural Test production is depressed when on cycle, so symptoms of excessive estrogen, like gynecomastia (AKA bitch's tits), can appear immediately post-cycle, when the exogenous Test is withdrawn but before the testes have regained normal output.

On PCT, an anti-estrogen (SERM) typically is accompanied by hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin), which mimics the natural luteinizing hormone to trigger the testes into resuming natural production all the sooner (a function of the HPG axis). When Jones said he was accused of taking something he couldn't even pronounce, hCG was the first banned substance I thought of.

AASs also would explain why his T/E ratio was as low as 0.19:1 during testing prior to Jones-Cormier I (UFC 182). The OOC might have been administered early enough into his PCT that endogenous Test production was still depressed but long enough into his course of diuretics that no exogenous Test remained. NSAC did a CIR test on account of the abnormal T/E, but it came back cleans.

In a recent Joe Rogan Experience podcast, Chael Sonnen tells the tale (which he alleges he heard from eye-witnesses) that USADA showed up unexpectedly at Jones's gym in the run-up to Jones-Johnson at UFC 187 (23 May, 2015), which never came off, on account of Jones's hit-and-run incident. The story alleges that Jones panicked at the approach of the USADA men and hid under the cage, thinking they'd leave once convinced he was not there. This was prior to the UFC signing with USADA, before fighters were obliged to keep the organisation apprised of their location, so there would have been no penalty for Jones being unlocatable. But instead of leaving, the USADA men took a seat and waited until the gym closed for the day and everyone (except Jones, hiding under the ring) went home for the night.

All of which only got Jones off the hook temporarily, because USADA got wind of how they had been duped, and moved Jones's name to the top of their hit list. Sonnen says they were so vexed, in fact, they figured Jones must have had to go to answer the call of nature at some point while he was in hiding, so they even tried (unsuccessfully?) to get a warrant to test the floor under the cage for Jones's urine.

Sonnen also speculates that this one positive was so far in advance of the match, and the OOCs were coming with such regularity, that there likely are other (possible) positives that USADA just haven't finished testing yet.

14 Jul 2016 15:34

GSP's striking coach, Freddie Roach, claims Michael Bisping turned down a title defense against Georges.

USADA have said that as far as they are concerned, Brock Lesnar "remains subject to USADA testing and the UFC anti-doping policy," unless and until he informs the UFC that he has retired from their organisation.

ESPN are reporting that WME have contracted to keep Dana White on as president of the UFC for five years. White gets salary, plus a growth-based incentive, plus 9% of the net, plus ~$360m USD for his stake in Zuffa's ownership. Considering the UFC's recent annual net, this puts White in the same neighborhood as the commissioner of the USA's National Football League, Roger Goodell.

PreviousNext

Return to General