Register

Mixed Martial Arts

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

Re: Mixed Martial Arts

22 Nov 2017 00:35

Shin-Gi-Tai...

Shin: in MMA, killer instinct, the will to suffer more than your opponent.

Gi: skills. You can learn them.

Tai: the physical part, that can mitigate a small disadvantage with regards to skills, that can make you outlast the opponent (i.e. your strength bar in the video game doesn't go to red as fast as your opponent), endurance while you are explosive, that's why you dope.

There's no substitute for mental toughness and skills. Or at least no quick substitute, hence the say that you can't turn a donkey into a Kentucky Derby winner. Shrinks, training can improve a fighter. But the low hanging fruit is Tai: after round one and your opponent is at 80%, you're at 90%. after round two your opponent is at 70% and you're at 85%. Or just over-power. It can be natural, and you're a great athlete, or it can be...and you're a fraud.

That's Jones, Spider, Brock, and plenty more.

I would venture to say that MMA is more dirty than any sport. That's why GSP left, The come-back was risky, you don't show up with a knife at a gunfight with all the doping going on. Maybe that's why he chose Bisping.

GSP: stop or you will meet a Lance, who may not get busted and your legacy is tainted. Just a Connor smack and go. Big money.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

22 Nov 2017 15:10

Tonton wrote:Shin-Gi-Tai...

Shin: in MMA, killer instinct, the will to suffer more than your opponent.

Gi: skills. You can learn them.

Tai: the physical part, that can mitigate a small disadvantage with regards to skills, that can make you outlast the opponent (i.e. your strength bar in the video game doesn't go to red as fast as your opponent), endurance while you are explosive, that's why you dope.

There's no substitute for mental toughness and skills. Or at least no quick substitute, hence the say that you can't turn a donkey into a Kentucky Derby winner. Shrinks, training can improve a fighter. But the low hanging fruit is Tai: after round one and your opponent is at 80%, you're at 90%. after round two your opponent is at 70% and you're at 85%. Or just over-power. It can be natural, and you're a great athlete, or it can be...and you're a fraud.

That's Jones, Spider, Brock, and plenty more.

I would venture to say that MMA is more dirty than any sport. That's why GSP left, The come-back was risky, you don't show up with a knife at a gunfight with all the doping going on. Maybe that's why he chose Bisping.

GSP: stop or you will meet a Lance, who may not get busted and your legacy is tainted. Just a Connor smack and go. Big money.

NOT. We probably should engage in that discussion here though.
jmdirt

28 Nov 2017 16:31

A former UFC fighter just got 10 months in the dock for accepting a bribe to take a dive at Fight Night 79 (2015) in Seoul.

A sudden swing in the betting tipped off UFC officials that the fight might have been fixed so they went to Bang Tae-hyun and gave him a very pointed warning before the fight. His sentence was reduced because he both won the fight and gave back the money but the online story offers no detail as to how the police might have known he repaid the bribe, or what the proof was that he had accepted it in the first place. The fight took place two years ago today and Bang (is that not the perfect name for a fighter?) apparently is still both alive and ambulatory, so it seems to me he has been treated much more harshly by the Korean legal system than the Korean mafia (but maybe we should reserve judgement on that account until we've seen how he fares after 10 months in the nick).

AFAIK this is the first public acknowledgement of fight fixing in the UFC, but it does give one to wonder, is this the only time it's happened or merely the first time anyone's been caught?
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

04 Dec 2017 20:33

GSP now is on the UFC's sick list due to colitis. He is famous for the anxiety bouts he experiences before a fight, which can't help in that regard. I think this probably comes closer to the truth of why he skipped out on four years fighting than tales of "unfairness" due to the UFC's slipshod policing of PEDs. If he's looking for an honourable "out" from fighting for a living, this looks bespoke. But considering the result of the Bisping fight, and considering how few of his final pre-layoff fights he managed to score a finish on, I can't help but wonder whether he isn't a more formidable fighter with the extra one stone. I don't think he ever in his career scored such an blatant "walk-off" KO as he did against Bisping.

Speaking of GSP, in short order we've had two knockouts in the octagon -- Bisping's (via GSP) and 'Reem's (via Ngannou) -- that were about as violent a "snap-the-head-straight-back" KTFOs as I've ever seen. Overeem lying stiff on the canvas like he was clutching a high voltage wire was just frightening. Ngannou appears to have punching prowess to make Mike Tyson jealous.

08 Dec 2017 17:47

Right on queue, GSP has relinquished the middleweight title for 'health reasons."

Anderson Silva's coach claims the Spider tested positive owing to contaminated supplements (how original!). Also claims they will be testing those supplements (future tense) to confirm they were the cause. Which probably means they're shopping at this moment for contaminated supplements to be the scapegoat. In Brazil, this should not be too challenging.

Roy "Big Country" Nelson gets Matt Mitrione on 16 February at Bellator 194 in the heavyweight grand prix. Should be quite a watchable bang-fest, even if you're not a fan of Bellator. They've fought once before, in 2012, and Nelson won by TKO in the first. But it was only Mitrone's seventh MMA bout and Nelson's 25th. Coming off a dramatic "Rocky-esque" win over The Last Emperor, Mitrione starts the tourney as the odd-on favourite. I like watching both these guys fight because guys there's no show-boating, no finesse. Just two very large men, each promising to push your face in.

The UFC cleared Mark Hunt to resume fighting after a battery of tests at the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health in Las Vegas. Dana White pulled Hunt from all fight cards after Hunt wrote a letter to PlayersVoice.com.au complaining he wasn't sleeping well, he was forgetting things and slurring his words. Next Hunt sued the UFC claiming his words were being taken out of context. To which DW replied in a letter to the Daily Telegraph asking how is it possible to take the words Hunt himself wrote out of context. The letter ends with a bit of self-serving promotion, DW claiming the fighter's health always comes first (except, of course, for when the promotions' concerns come first.

Yesterday 21:32

MMA Fighting is reporting that Jon 'Bones' Jones was administered and "passed" a polygraph test in which he stated he had taken NO PEDS in the run-up to UFC 214.

I have no idea if a poly holds water with USADA (or WADA).

Previous

Return to General