Log in:  

Register

Mixed Martial Arts

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

13 Jun 2018 14:21

StyrbjornSterki wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Romero missed wight again. He missed it for two reason: he has to cut 45-55 lbs, and he is max *CLINIC*. Actually its both amazing and dangerous that he can get so close to 155 from 200+. I know that he isn't doing the entire load at cut time, but his walking weight is 200+, I've even read as much as 220-225!...

Romero claims he missed it because a fight commissioner arbitrarily reduced his two-hour mulligan to just one hour. The two-hour mulligan is always taken with medical supervision, and the doctors were fine with him taking the full two hours, but the commissioner overruled them.

Yah, I saw Romero say that. Really the issue is that a 200+ lb man shouldn't be fighting at 155.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,056
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Re:

13 Jun 2018 20:58

jmdirt wrote:Yah, I saw Romero say that. Really the issue is that a 200+ lb man shouldn't be fighting at 155.

I'm in complete agreement with that but you an I disagree about how to do it. Rather than check the fighters weights at random between fights, I think they should just weigh them twice, once the day before (as is the current practice) to satisy the promoters and the bookies, and again before they're allowed the the locker room before the fight. Because you can't stay dehydrated for a full day (or longer) and still be an effective fighter.

The traditional system in essence rewards cheating.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki
Member
 
Posts: 907
Joined: 18 Jul 2010 22:00

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2018 02:53

StyrbjornSterki wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Yah, I saw Romero say that. Really the issue is that a 200+ lb man shouldn't be fighting at 155.

I'm in complete agreement with that but you an I disagree about how to do it. Rather than check the fighters weights at random between fights, I think they should just weigh them twice, once the day before (as is the current practice) to satisy the promoters and the bookies, and again before they're allowed the the locker room before the fight. Because you can't stay dehydrated for a full day (or longer) and still be an effective fighter.

The traditional system in essence rewards cheating.

I am all for day of fight weigh in.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,056
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

07 Jul 2018 15:05

Big heavy weight fight tonight...who ya got?
Another good heavy weight fight on the card too.
Some other fights on the card that could be good as well.
Holloway is out for concussion.

EDIT: :surprised:
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,056
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

09 Jul 2018 05:08

jmdirt wrote:Big heavy weight fight tonight...who ya got?
Another good heavy weight fight on the card too.
Some other fights on the card that could be good as well.
Holloway is out for concussion.

EDIT: :surprised:


I was waiting for Vince McMahon to burst into the octagon right behind Lesnar.
Nighttrain99
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 21 Sep 2013 03:26
Location: Charleston

05 Aug 2018 14:42

OK, round between Cody and TJ. I wish Dean would have let Cody take a few more shots and go down instead of stopping it.
I haven't watched the pre-main event yet, but it sounds like it was good.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,056
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Mixed Martial Arts

14 Aug 2018 17:23

GSP quoted on MMA Junkie:

“(Sonnen) proposed to do a weigh-in the day of the fight,” St-Pierre said during a news conference in Australia that was captured by Submission Radio. “So what he proposes, basically – we have weigh-in the night before the fight, like we normally do. But now, because the weigh-in is in the morning, people say, ‘Oh, I have more time to recuperate,’ so they try to cut more weight.

“And it’s sad to say, but sometimes I’m thinking, ‘Are we going to wait (for) someone (to) die out there to change things?’ I mean, it’s ridiculous. So what Chael’s proposed is very smart.”


Nobody listened to GSP about PEDs so I doubt this recommendation will fare any better.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki
Member
 
Posts: 907
Joined: 18 Jul 2010 22:00

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests

Back to top