Log in:  

Register

Mixed Martial Arts

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Apr 2012 16:55

I have trained in past with brother valentijn overeem. he always seemed big talent but bit unstable. valentijn was always incredibel talent but horrible stamina because he cut weight for light heavyweight. he is now a monster and above all mentally relaxed. that's what makes him a champion. no stress and he enjoys everything. he'll be back for sure. just like josh barnett
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,174
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

11 Apr 2012 16:58

ChrisE wrote:Well, well. What a shock. :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7776159/ufc-heavyweight-alistair-overeem-fails-doping-test-nevada-commission-says

Anybody that has even remotely followed this guy's transformation from skinny light heavyweight to now knows WTF was going on.


he was never a skinny lightheavyweight and besides he was 18/19 back then. is normal that you grow. look at stevan strufe. he fought against a teammate of me 6 years ago when he was 2.12 and barely 100 kg. now he is what 120? semmy schilt had the same too.


and btw. what an idiot is dana white. he only talks so much bs. he's a mark for his own fighters. he's a fanboy and a hater of everything he can't get. see fedor. I hope to god some japanese promotion can turn mma upside down again like in the late 90s with pride
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,174
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

11 Apr 2012 21:23

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he was never a skinny lightheavyweight and besides he was 18/19 back then. is normal that you grow. look at stevan strufe. he fought against a teammate of me 6 years ago when he was 2.12 and barely 100 kg. now he is what 120? semmy schilt had the same too.


and btw. what an idiot is dana white. he only talks so much bs. he's a mark for his own fighters. he's a fanboy and a hater of everything he can't get. see fedor. I hope to god some japanese promotion can turn mma upside down again like in the late 90s with pride


The japanese pride stuff was good. Well I even like a good Sumo Basho from back in the day. But these days there is way too many gajin in Sumo. It is disapointing. :eek:
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,307
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

12 Apr 2012 01:23

Barry Bonds would be envious.

The one line that caught me off guard though is this:
[color="Navy"]
"The Dutch kickboxing champion can take a second urine test, but will need commission approval for a license to fight Dos Santos as scheduled May 26."
[/color]

A second test?? You mean he can wait a week or two until the ratio in his body settles closer to normal, then take another test, and if the results show under the 6:1 ratio he's allowed to fight? Is he also then considered negative??? :confused:

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he was never a skinny LHW and besides he was 18/19 back then.


Actually, he was 26 in that photo in the middle and looks almost 40lbs heavier just two years later, all of it muscle. Even in the photo at the most left, he was 23.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,219
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

12 Apr 2012 12:18

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I have trained in past with brother valentijn overeem. he always seemed big talent but bit unstable. valentijn was always incredibel talent but horrible stamina because he cut weight for light heavyweight. he is now a monster and above all mentally relaxed. that's what makes him a champion. no stress and he enjoys everything. he'll be back for sure. just like josh barnett


The second use of Valentijn should be Alistair I think....

Besides that, Valentijn isn't very good, come on, you never tap to strikes....
dirkvijf
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 05 Apr 2012 10:58

re:

12 Apr 2012 12:27

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Barry Bonds would be envious.

The one line that caught me off guard though is this:
[color="Navy"]
"The Dutch kickboxing champion can take a second urine test, but will need commission approval for a license to fight Dos Santos as scheduled May 26."
[/color]

A second test?? You mean he can wait a week or two until the ratio in his body settles closer to normal, then take another test, and if the results show under the 6:1 ratio he's allowed to fight? Is he also then considered negative??? :confused:

Actually, he was 26 in that photo in the middle and looks almost 40lbs heavier just two years later, all of it muscle. Even in the photo at the most left, he was 23.


Well you are missing one and also the biggest point here.... currently he is not licensed by the NSAC, so he has done absolutely nothing wrong.

Before they will grant him a license though, he needs to be tested again.
dirkvijf
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 05 Apr 2012 10:58

12 Apr 2012 13:00

BTW, why not change the topic name to mma Talk?

MMA is more then only UFC, and to be completly honest, the UFC is one of the worst things ever to happen to the sport of mma.
dirkvijf
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 05 Apr 2012 10:58

12 Apr 2012 19:40

I'll change the title of the topic, if everyone agrees. Mostly would like Chris to chime in as it's sort of his thread.

dirkvijf wrote:Well you are missing one and also the biggest point here.... currently he is not licensed by the NSAC, so he has done absolutely nothing wrong.

Before they will grant him a license though, he needs to be tested again.


So, he tests positive for testosterone, and has done nothing wrong because he doesn't have a license? That's brilliant.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,219
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

13 Apr 2012 01:35

I agree with changing the name. Bellator, Strikeforce, Dream etc should also be included in the discussion. Plus some classic WEC, K1 and Pride could be discussed
The computer is smarter than me Bjarne, I no need to understand computer it need understand me - Carlos Sastre in Overcoming
RIP - Swordsman
RIP - Craig1985

Wallace wrote:In Lance's prime, you could take all the drugs you wanted, whenever you wanted. Ah, those were the days... If you put Contador on the program Lance was on in his prime, it would be like watching a bicycle duct-taped to the space shuttle go up the alps. You have to factor all that in when figuring out which one is the most talented
User avatar El Imbatido
Member
 
Posts: 1,348
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 13:22
Location: Australia

13 Apr 2012 07:58

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I'll change the title of the topic, if everyone agrees. Mostly would like Chris to chime in as it's sort of his thread.



So, he tests positive for testosterone, and has done nothing wrong because he doesn't have a license? That's brilliant.


Yes, it's very crooked, and also the reason why mma is still in its baby shoes.
Zuffa is also paying the lawyer of Overeem who aso represented Michael Jackson and Paris Hilton in other cases, so obviously they don't really care about his tests.

As long as Dana White and Mob brothers Fertitta keep treating the UFC as a popularity contest, the sport will never surpass being "entertainment".

I really miss the Pride days....
dirkvijf
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 05 Apr 2012 10:58

13 Apr 2012 13:43

Go ahead and change the title.
"He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife." - Al Czervik
User avatar ChrisE
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,492
Joined: 18 May 2009 20:14

13 Apr 2012 13:55

Good!

let me kick off with some other mma talk than UFC.

Who also can't wait for the fight of 2012?

Aoki - Alvarez II at bellator 20-04-2012
dirkvijf
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 05 Apr 2012 10:58

13 Apr 2012 14:21

Going to MMA trial this weekend.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,174
Joined: 30 Sep 2011 10:17
Location: Rubber Plantation.

13 Apr 2012 22:12

‘I liked him. He was as tough as nails. Mentally...the toughest person I have ever come across’
User avatar Cobblestoned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,169
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 17:20
Location: Not from Germany

13 Apr 2012 22:15

Zam_Olyas wrote:Going to MMA trial this weekend.


What, to fight?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,907
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

16 Apr 2012 08:09

dirkvijf wrote:The second use of Valentijn should be Alistair I think....

Besides that, Valentijn isn't very good, come on, you never tap to strikes....


valentijn is a coward for tapping to punches. but he is good, as in skilled
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,174
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

16 Apr 2012 08:09

dirkvijf wrote:BTW, why not change the topic name to mma Talk?

MMA is more then only UFC, and to be completly honest, the UFC is one of the worst things ever to happen to the sport of mma.


agreed.


....
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,174
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

16 Apr 2012 08:11

dirkvijf wrote:Yes, it's very crooked, and also the reason why mma is still in its baby shoes.
Zuffa is also paying the lawyer of Overeem who aso represented Michael Jackson and Paris Hilton in other cases, so obviously they don't really care about his tests.

As long as Dana White and Mob brothers Fertitta keep treating the UFC as a popularity contest, the sport will never surpass being "entertainment".

I really miss the Pride days....


they never tested much in pride either. it was far worse but I don't care about that too much. steroids don't make you a better fighter overall.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Veteran
 
Posts: 16,174
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

19 Apr 2012 04:51

I'm not really a "caged violence" person, but as far as athletes I always wanted to do one of those Ultimate Fighter guys after they lost a fight. These huge muscle dudes often just collapse in a puddle of tears after they lose a fight. They're so vulnerable right at that moment I can just see them saying "OK" and throwing their legs in their air and letting me have my way with them. It's like life isn't worth living right in that moment. And the fact that they're often a bruised and bloody mess is a turn on as well.

But that's just a fantasy. If they took offense they could probably kill me pretty easily, but that's half the turn on..
FresnoRider
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 15 Apr 2012 09:42

20 Apr 2012 20:12

User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,174
Joined: 30 Sep 2011 10:17
Location: Rubber Plantation.

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Back to top