Register

Mixed Martial Arts

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

25 Apr 2012 14:04

lackluster main event...

can't vs. won't....

Hyping a fight with fake-*** "bad-blood" is pathetic and makes the sport look like WWE.
dirkvijf

14 May 2012 20:23

The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

06 Jul 2012 14:32

OK, this is the one we have been waiting for. For some reason I think Sonnen will get worked this time.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/UFC-148-Silva-vs-Sonnen-2-Preview-43953
"He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife." - Al Czervik
User avatar ChrisE

29 Dec 2013 05:45

What a sickening injury that Anderson Silva got. I don't think he will be back from that. Not just the extent of the injury, but there's bound to be psychological scars about doing it in the future and whether he can overcome it in his head to do kicks, blocks, etc once again.

The Rousey/Tate fight was entertaining.
User avatar gooner

29 Dec 2013 07:05

Not going to post it, but here is a link to a photo.

[color="DarkRed"]WARNING[/color]! Thus is one of the most gruesome sports injuries ever.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

29 Dec 2013 07:33

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Not going to post it, but here is a link to a photo.

[color="DarkRed"]WARNING[/color]! Thus is one of the most gruesome sports injuries ever.

Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg mentioned Corey Hill's injury when they were discussing what happened to Silva.

I'm not going to post the image but there is pictures and a video in the link below of it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/graphic-ufc-fighter-anderson-silva-suffers-gruesome-leg-injury-article-1.1560623?
User avatar gooner

28 Sep 2014 00:09

I will be hoping Dustin Poirier beats Conor McGregor tonight. A lorry load of Irish fans gone over to it but I find McGregor a very dislikeable character and find it nauseating the hype he has got over here considering the level of opposition he has fought so far.

That fight against Brandao in July in Dublin was a joke and it was entirely done to keep him on winning ways. That was main event and the card as a whole was embarrassing. For me, McGregor is the most overhyped Irish sportsperson of all time. He has appeared multiple times on national tv chat shows and RTE have done documentaries on him following around. All this while other Irish sports stars who have achieved more and carry themselves well in public get largely little in comparison by way of attention.

Hope Poirier ends all this nonsense tonight. I would be disgusted if this is the kind of sports person people over here want to put on a pedestal.
User avatar gooner

26 Jul 2015 03:37

Dillashaw looked good tonight. Tate looked good too, but what's next? Nice stand-up battle between Barboza and Felder. Nice move Lazon (good sportsmanship too).

I hope next Saturday is a great fight!
jmdirt

02 Aug 2015 18:01

While it wasn't as much fight as I would have liked to see, RR demonstrated once again that she is simply the best woman fighter. She just has too many weapons. I want to see her fight Cyborg, but only if Cyborg is clean and can get to a reasonable weight. I don't want to see RR fight a man, nor will I say "she could win vs. most of the guys 130 and below", but a man with her complete skill set would be the world champ too.

Some of the other action on the main card was good. As expected, it was very Brazilian style fighting which is a little different than what us USAers usually see. Gadeha vs. Aguilar was solid.
jmdirt

Re:

03 Aug 2015 09:22

jmdirt wrote:While it wasn't as much fight as I would have liked to see, RR demonstrated once again that she is simply the best woman fighter. She just has too many weapons. I want to see her fight Cyborg, but only if Cyborg is clean and can get to a reasonable weight. I don't want to see RR fight a man, nor will I say "she could win vs. most of the guys 130 and below", but a man with her complete skill set would be the world champ too.

Some of the other action on the main card was good. As expected, it was very Brazilian style fighting which is a little different than what us USAers usually see. Gadeha vs. Aguilar was solid.

Ronda is far and away the best female fight in MMA and all credit too her for being so diligent in her training, however she isn’t a complete fighter by any means and there are plenty of male fighters who are just as skilled, she is way ahead of the other women currently competing though.
User avatar The Principal Sheep

Re: Re:

03 Aug 2015 18:28

The Principal Sheep wrote:
jmdirt wrote:While it wasn't as much fight as I would have liked to see, RR demonstrated once again that she is simply the best woman fighter. She just has too many weapons. I want to see her fight Cyborg, but only if Cyborg is clean and can get to a reasonable weight. I don't want to see RR fight a man, nor will I say "she could win vs. most of the guys 130 and below", but a man with her complete skill set would be the world champ too.

Ronda is far and away the best female fight in MMA and all credit too her for being so diligent in her training, however she isn’t a complete fighter by any means and there are plenty of male fighters who are just as skilled, she is way ahead of the other women currently competing though.

She can win via Judo (!), Boxing/kickboxing, and Muay Thai, that's pretty complete (Sonnen agreed with my Tweet that she is one of the most complete! :D ). A big part of this win was Correia focusing on Rousey's Judo so RR beat another way. Most of RR's fights are too short for her to demonstrate her skill set though. The competition does make a difference because at each men's weight class there are 10 guys who can win. That's not a knock on RR though. If anything its a knock on the other woman. Woman's combat fields will likely never be as deep as men's.
EDIT: Okamoto agrees with me too.
jmdirt

04 Aug 2015 12:00

Athlete of the year.

I like the way Meisha Tate tweeted that she would last longer than that. I'm not sure if that's a challenge, or what, but Rousey has already beaten her twice. Though is there anyone left to fight RR? Zingano was supposed to last longer than she dd. Same with Correia. Do they get rematches?

RR has already blown through the competition. But she, and women's MMA is already a gold mine now that we are seeing an extremely high skill level from the fighters. So if I were Dana White, I'd write a big check and start developing as many female fighters as possible, as its likely to take a year to get someone able to even compete with RR. But the long tern dividends here could pay off well.

As to RR fighting a man, I hope it never happens. It becomes a side show then. Unless Floyd Mayweather wants to get into MMA. I'd watch that, because Floyd has a long history of liking to hit women. I'd pay to see Ronda beat his *** to a pulp.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

04 Aug 2015 12:48

jmdirt wrote:
She can win via Judo (!), Boxing/kickboxing, and Muay Thai, that's pretty complete (Sonnen agreed with my Tweet that she is one of the most complete! :D ). A big part of this win was Correia focusing on Rousey's Judo so RR beat another way. Most of RR's fights are too short for her to demonstrate her skill set though. The competition does make a difference because at each men's weight class there are 10 guys who can win. That's not a knock on RR though. If anything its a knock on the other woman. Woman's combat fields will likely never be as deep as men's.
EDIT: Okamoto agrees with me too.

Like I said, in womens MMA she's way ahead and her oppenents are really making her look good but it's not her fault there's no serious competition. Her stand up though when performing is still middling and that's an area where she does have room for improvement but I'm not sure if she'll ever really be challenged as any possible opponent will likely be rushed and fed to her early or Ronda will disappear to hollywood for good. If there is someone out there they'll need to be another olympian type who lives to compete and dominate.
User avatar The Principal Sheep

15 Nov 2015 06:14

YES!!! Holmes beat Rousey!!

Amazing to see Rousey breakdown...I think once she realized she couldn't get Holmes onto the mat, she had a bit of a mental breakdown...just my opinion. Holmes looked so calm and collected.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

15 Nov 2015 08:08

Jspear wrote:YES!!! Holmes beat Rousey!!

Amazing to see Rousey breakdown...I think once she realized she couldn't get Holmes onto the mat, she had a bit of a mental breakdown...just my opinion. Holmes looked so calm and collected.

Worst title defense since Don King persuaded Mike Tyson to be Buster Douglas's punching bag. Rousey made little effort to take down Holmes, she was determined to prove a point by finishing it standing up. Unfortunately, her only strategy appeared to be letting Holmes beat her face until she'd burned out her arms. Her coach should be fired for not persuading her to follow a different strategy after the first round.

That's one of the great things about MMA compared to boxing. So many ways to lose, so few ways to win.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

15 Nov 2015 13:41

StyrbjornSterki wrote:

Worst title defense since Don King persuaded Mike Tyson to be Buster Douglas's punching bag. Rousey made little effort to take down Holmes, she was determined to prove a point by finishing it standing up. Unfortunately, her only strategy appeared to be letting Holmes beat her face until she'd burned out her arms. Her coach should be fired (then shot in the head and his body tossed in a dumpster) for not persuading her to follow a different strategy after the first round.

That's one of the great things about MMA compared to boxing. So many ways to lose, so few ways to win.

This imo was her undoing. Honestly I think her pride didn't allow her to change tactics for the 2nd round.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

15 Nov 2015 13:53

RR stretched herself too thin for too long now. That works OK when you are superior to the lady across from you, but HH is unlike anyone else that RR has faced (experience, skill, athleticism). I agree that RR's game plan should have been Judo. Maybe RR and her team underestimated HH? I'm ready for the rematch!
jmdirt

15 Nov 2015 14:19

I'm glad it happened. RR saturation was at the end with me, with the mean mugging and greatest of all time talk.

Oh yeah, the double standard about her beating her ex BF vs if it would have been the other way around is pretty nauseating, but expected.
Spawn of e

Re:

15 Nov 2015 15:20

The key was Holm's footwork, compared to her the rest of the division is slow and plodding. Normally Ronda just bullrushes her opponents because the have baad footwork and lack ko power or the accurary to hurt her when she closes the distance, but Holly Holm is a great counterpuncher and her footwork is fantastic.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re:

15 Nov 2015 16:32

Spawn of e wrote:I'm glad it happened. RR saturation was at the end with me, with the mean mugging and greatest of all time talk.

The hype was getting a bit too much, it wasn't just in terms of MMA, it was also in the realms of the leading sportswoman in the world. Then the movies, wrestlemania stuff. Ronda's a great fighter but it was going overboard. I never like that domination in any sport, so I have to say it was good for the division to see it being shaken up a bit. Otherwise after this, we may have got Tate III. A rematch on the card for UFC 200 next July with Holly has already been touted around.

The downfall I'm looking forward to seeing is McGregor's.
User avatar gooner

PreviousNext

Return to General