Register

The one and only official job/school thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

23 Jun 2012 22:28

Froome19 wrote:London Oratory School?

Correct. chapeau.

I showed you mine now you show me yours.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 08:03

The Hitch wrote:21st century London. It was a school with a strong Catholic tradition - set up by some saint or something, and for this reason Tony Blair when he wanted to show he was with the Catholicism (his wife is Catholic, he was a protestant) chose to send his kids there and then half the kids in london wanted to go there and it was 10-1 to get in.

Pretty impressive that you grew up in the 21st century considering that the 21st century is only 12 years old... :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 08:09

RedheadDane wrote:Pretty impressive that you grew up in the 21st century considering that the 21st century is only 12 years old... :p

Hitch was born in either or 1989 or 1990 or 1991 so I assume he went to high school there.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 09:46

The Hitch wrote:21st century London. It was a school with a strong Catholic tradition - set up by some saint or something, and for this reason Tony Blair when he wanted to show he was with the Catholicism (his wife is Catholic, he was a protestant) chose to send his kids there and then half the kids in london wanted to go there and it was 10-1 to get in.

Not on ability though, the main criteria was to prove you knew the Catholic prayers and get signed documents from priests that you go to church every day :rolleyes:

So yeah it was a bit extreme for these reasons.

You lucky ******* - you went to the Oratory. Try to be a bit more grateful for the chance you've been given.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 09:56

Taking my GCE O levels this year:(

and then GCE A levels two years after that:(

and then two years of compulsory national service in the army:(

and finally I can live the life in university:)
Oh man I'm gonna watch so much cycling after being in a mental prison for that past few years.
Proud champion of the first ever 2012 Giro d'Italia CQ game[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
User avatar dlwssonic
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 09:57

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:You lucky ******* - you went to the Oratory. Try to be a bit more grateful for the chance you've been given.

He seems to have lived such a sad childhood, wtf is there to be grateful for.
User avatar dlwssonic
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 10:02

dlwssonic wrote:He seems to have lived such a sad childhood, wtf is there to be grateful for.

No, he's being a drama queen. I know plenty of Oratorians who had a good time.

Most central London comprehensives are life ruiningly dog ****. Academic standards that would make a bright 8 year old blush.

He got a free, excellent education when he could easily have ended up in somewhere useless and had no hope for a decent future.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 10:17

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:No, he's being a drama queen. I know plenty of Oratorians who had a good time.

Most central London comprehensives are life ruiningly dog ****. Academic standards that would make a bright 8 year old blush.

He got a free, excellent education when he could easily have ended up in somewhere useless and had no hope for a decent future.

lol you calling him a drama queen reminds me of what ryo said before he got ban.
But the main point is, he had a a sad life, what does all those academic education mean if you can't live a proper childhood.
That's exactly what's wrong with my country's education system now.
User avatar dlwssonic
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 10:44

Forgive me if my heart does not bleed for children who do not know what is best for them. I reservered particular lol for you, complaining about O-levels and A-levels. Some of the easiest years of your life.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 10:51

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Forgive me if my heart does not bleed for children who do not know what is best for them. I reservered particular lol for you, complaining about O-levels and A-levels. Some of the easiest years of your life.

You sound like a bitter old man.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 10:53

LaFlorecita wrote:You sound like a bitter old man.

I'm 25 - I just think lots of teenagers are depressingly stupid and self-pitying. I do not include any specific individuals in that, but really, people who think school is a tough haul are going to have a horrible shock when they actually have to work for a living.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 10:57

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:I'm 25 - I just think lots of teenagers are depressingly stupid and self-pitying. I do not include any specific individuals in that, but really, people who think school is a tough haul are going to have a horrible shock when they actually have to work for a living.

Indeed... high school was the easy life. I never liked it back then, but looking back those years were great.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 11:10

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:I'm 25 - I just think lots of teenagers are depressingly stupid and self-pitying. I do not include any specific individuals in that, but really, people who think school is a tough haul are going to have a horrible shock when they actually have to work for a living.

This would sound so much better if you actually weren't only just 25.
DominicDecoco

24 Jun 2012 11:15

DominicDecoco wrote:This would sound so much better if you actually weren't only just 25.

Well, I do look forward to sitting in my club aged 75 railing against the youth of today.

I enjoy my job and my life, but I don't kid myself that school and Uni were actually very sweet deals. I know teenagers are shot full of hormones so its difficult to expect them to make reasonable assessments of their situation, but its still annoying to hear so much self-pity about 1st world 'problems'.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 11:20

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Forgive me if my heart does not bleed for children who do not know what is best for them. I reservered particular lol for you, complaining about O-levels and A-levels. Some of the easiest years of your life.

Maybe in england it's not that hard for you.
Here where I am there is so much stress involved in the O and A levels.
reminder to you we take the GCE not the GSCE.
GCE is the harder version for countries like malaysia and singapore.
There is so much competition involved to get positions in good colleges and universities. Everyone here is stressed up and working their asses off.
I guess you will just never understand how hard is it in some countries.

even the older generation realise how stressful our education is.
User avatar dlwssonic
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 11:27

I would have loved harder exams. The joke ones we sat meant it was difficult to demonstrate superiority.

When you have a fixed number of students, and a fixed number of good University places, the scale on the ruler is not terribly relevant (O&A levels are only meaningful for University access, nobody cares about them in the long term).
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

24 Jun 2012 11:54

Not on ability though, the main criteria was to prove you knew the Catholic prayers and get signed documents from priests that you go to church every day :rolleyes:

So yeah it was a bit extreme for these reasons.

If it was so bad, i would've made sure to get kicked out if there i would've known a better alternative. It would have been easy to get kicked out i guess, just burn a bible in class or something:rolleyes:
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

24 Jun 2012 12:07

Red Rick wrote:If it was so bad, i would've made sure to get kicked out if there i would've known a better alternative. It would have been easy to get kicked out i guess, just burn a bible in class or something:rolleyes:

User avatar hrotha
Veteran

25 Jun 2012 01:47

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:You lucky ******* - you went to the Oratory. Try to be a bit more grateful for the chance you've been given.

Oratory education standards dropped since your years.

As for the chance, pfff, yeah you are right if i ended up in 1 of the low quality chav schools where you get beaten up for your lunch money by 11 year olds completing their initiation into London street gangs then yes life would have been different.

But the other schools i (and people from my background) got accepted for were of similar quality to Oratory, only without the idiotic victorian rules system.

I'm 25 - I just think lots of teenagers are depressingly stupid and self-pitying. I do not include any specific individuals in that, but really, people who think school is a tough haul are going to have a horrible shock when they actually have to work for a living.

You are forgetting that teenagers often, even though they seem to have a more comfortable life, are very likely to get depressed.

Most 11-18 year olds find school life grim enough, especially when, with transport taken into account, its 6pm before you get home to start the marathon homework exercises.

And especially when the basic pleasures of a school day- crushes on the other sex and exercise at break times, are denied to them,

Maybe these things dont mean much to you and maybe you enjoyed the lack of girls around at school during puberty I don't know, but for many people, something to look forward to the day is essential, and many men will take the riggers of day to day work with the freedom it carries, without a whimper to escape the day to day sentence that the British Education system offers in its hands.

Dekket T wrote:Indeed... high school was the easy life. I never liked it back then, but looking back those years were great.

People generally look back with nostalgia at a lot of things. Im not saying that is the case with you but i remember some members of my family when drunk talking about the good old days under communism and how fun it was to cue outside a meat shop with food stamps for the slice of ham that was to get your family through the week.

Red Rick wrote:If it was so bad, i would've made sure to get kicked out if there i would've known a better alternative. It would have been easy to get kicked out i guess, just burn a bible in class or something

Forget expelled. These days, if i burnt a bible theyd be sending Condoleeza Rice down to plead with me not to do it again.

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Well, I do look forward to sitting in my club aged 75 railing against the youth of today.

I enjoy my job and my life, but I don't kid myself that school and Uni were actually very sweet deals. I know teenagers are shot full of hormones so its difficult to expect them to make reasonable assessments of their situation, but its still annoying to hear so much self-pity about 1st world 'problems'.

Im the first to admit my problems don't compare to what 80% of the world is going through. Its usually my answer when people ask me if i feel sad or something.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

09 Aug 2012 14:04

Introduction starts in 10 day's. I got through the numerus fixus, so ****'s gonna get awesome:cool:
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

PreviousNext

Return to General