Register

The one and only official job/school thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 Apr 2012 09:03

The Hitch wrote:I feel your pain. My secondary school (ages 11 - 16 with 17-18 optional, in this country) was the worst experience of my life.

It was a catholic nutjob school

Only boys of course. No coed. 7 years of only boys. :rolleyes:

Crappy uniforms of shirts ties and blazers to be warn in hot or cold. Shoes polished and all that.

NO SPORT.

NO RUNNING in playground allowed, not even playing football with a stone which was punishable by detention, no talking in groups of larger than 5.

No mobile phones. Having a mobile phone punished not by detention but by suspension from school for a week:rolleyes:

No visiting shops after school. Teachers posted to shops in the area to make sure no one went in. Detention if caught.

Everyone had to use the assigned train station. Years 1-3 one train station. Years 3-5 another. Teachers posted to train stations to make sure no one is using wrong station.

School lunch mandatory even if it sucked. Moreover to get to lunch 1 had to wait in a long line that got 10 minutes shorter every year. Lines were arranged based on year and then alphabetical order (surname)

No outside food allowed. If school lunch sucked, or if it run out which it sometimes did, you just had to make it through the day hungry. Tough.

If it rained, which it often does in this country we had to sit in class but got punished by detention if we tried to do our homework:rolleyes:

The school did not have the money to buy space for playground cos instead it spent thousands on its own small church and its own hymn books.

If I dig out my old rule book will probably remind myself of a lot more of these idiotic ideas.

Everytime i vistied a foreign country i felt it had robbed me of my childhood. Feel the same way right now. Hate it as much as when i left nearly 4 years ago.

rickshaw wrote:Wow! I didn't know schools as free and liberal as yours existed. ( I did but...) Age 14 to 18....

Classes 6 days a week. 3 hours of study hall a day, except Sunday when it was only 2 hours. Still not enough time to get the school work done Had to keep silence from 9:00 PM to 7:30 AM. More on "special" days. We were allowed visitors on the first Sunday of the month. All in-coming mail was opened and read by "the authorities". Alll out-going mail had to be put in a box un-sealed. The only females allowed to exist were Mothers, Sisters, Grandmothers and Aunts. Any other non-male persons were a one way ticket to hell..... That was the fun side. The place was run by an order of priests from..... can you guess? Holland!

"What does not destroy us... weakens us enough so that the next thing to come along can finish the job."

Wow guys, that sounds terrible. I went to an all boys school too and I felt kind of bitter about it, but it seems like youve have had a far worse experience. But i think the bird once free, flies higher, right ?
User avatar online-rider

12 Apr 2012 09:07

Red Rick wrote:In how many languages can you say that:p:D

Only in three that I can work with. I'm a translator, not a universal dictionary.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

12 Apr 2012 09:22

online-rider wrote:Wow guys, that sounds terrible. I went to an all boys school too and I felt kind of bitter about it, but it seems like youve have had a far worse experience. But i think the bird once free, flies higher, right ?

[SIZE="4"]How old are you people?[/SIZE] Didn't realize that all boys school still existed

hrotha wrote:Only in three that I can work with. I'm a translator, not a universal dictionary.

You disappoint me!
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

12 Apr 2012 09:52

I'm studying Actuarial Science/Insurance maths at the University of Copenhagen and work part-time in a pension/life-insurance company.
User avatar Magnus

12 Apr 2012 11:26

The Hitch wrote:I feel your pain. My secondary school (ages 11 - 16 with 17-18 optional, in this country) was the worst experience of my life.

Crappy uniforms of shirts ties and blazers to be warn in hot or cold. Shoes polished and all that.

NO SPORT.

NO RUNNING in playground allowed, not even playing football with a stone which was punishable by detention, no talking in groups of larger than 5.

No mobile phones. Having a mobile phone punished not by detention but by suspension from school for a week:rolleyes:

No visiting shops after school. Teachers posted to shops in the area to make sure no one went in. Detention if caught.

Everyone had to use the assigned train station. Years 1-3 one train station. Years 3-5 another. Teachers posted to train stations to make sure no one is using wrong station.

School lunch mandatory even if it sucked. Moreover to get to lunch 1 had to wait in a long line that got 10 minutes shorter every year. Lines were arranged based on year and then alphabetical order (surname)

No outside food allowed. If school lunch sucked, or if it run out which it sometimes did, you just had to make it through the day hungry. Tough.

If it rained, which it often does in this country we had to sit in class but got punished by detention if we tried to do our homework:rolleyes:

The school did not have the money to buy space for playground cos instead it spent thousands on its own small church and its own hymn books.

If I dig out my old rule book will probably remind myself of a lot more of these idiotic ideas.

Everytime i vistied a foreign country i felt it had robbed me of my childhood. Feel the same way right now. Hate it as much as when i left nearly 4 years ago.

Oh Gosh. I can only imagine that in black and white.

Thank god i went to a french secular mixed school.
“I’m not a human. I’m a piece of machinery. I don’t need to feel a thing. Just forge on ahead.” Haruki Murakami

"No me arranques, no me arranques”, le suplicó el de Pinto a Valverde
“Esto es una competición”, dijo Valverde.

http://enchassepatate.blogspot.com/
User avatar nobilis

12 Apr 2012 11:30

As for my job, I work as a statistician in a Research center on HIV/AIDS in France. But I resigned and going back to Lebanon, my home country to work as a freelance statistician like i used to do before, which suits me much better.
“I’m not a human. I’m a piece of machinery. I don’t need to feel a thing. Just forge on ahead.” Haruki Murakami

User avatar nobilis

12 Apr 2012 13:42

nobilis wrote:As for my job, I work as a statistician

Bayesian or frequentist ?
User avatar Magnus

12 Apr 2012 13:54

i'm a student, a future programmer
User avatar airstream

12 Apr 2012 13:58

Magnus wrote:Bayesian or frequentist ?

I'm rather frequentist. Or at least, in 95% of the times i worked on something, my approach was frequentist. :p
But i'm not rigid, and I think that Bayesian approach could be better in some situations.

User avatar nobilis

12 Apr 2012 15:56

nobilis wrote:I'm rather frequentist. Or at least, in 95% of the times i worked on something, my approach was frequentist. :p
But i'm not rigid, and I think that Bayesian approach could be better in some situations.

Me to, pretty much. Except when frequentists get overly pedantic about when you're allowed to talk about the probability of something and when it's deterministic but you just don't know the outcome.
User avatar Magnus

12 Apr 2012 16:05

I am a maths teacher so watch what you say about school
therealtimshady

12 Apr 2012 16:09

Magnus wrote:I'm studying Actuarial Science/Insurance maths at the University of Copenhagen and work part-time in a pension/life-insurance company.

Hello, fellow student! :cool:
I'm at the University of Copenhagen too, but studying a far more interesting (or far more boring, depending on the viewpoint ;) ) subject, archaeology.
Fus087

12 Apr 2012 16:34

NO SPORT.

You make my school look like heaven, really. I pity you, i'll stop complaining about mine:o
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Apr 2012 16:37

therealtimshady wrote:I am a maths teacher so watch what you say about school

What? Last year I told one of my two math teachers he was the worst teacher i've ever had, right in his face:D:D
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Apr 2012 17:11

Fus087 wrote:Hello, fellow student! :cool:
I'm at the University of Copenhagen too, but studying a far more interesting (or far more boring, depending on the viewpoint ;) ) subject, archaeology.

Well, google seems to agree with you. The first thing that pops up as a search suggestion when you type actuary is 'actuary borring job' :o
User avatar Magnus

12 Apr 2012 18:18

Red Rick wrote:What? Last year I told one of my two math teachers he was the worst teacher i've ever had, right in his face:D:D

Yeah and It hurts me now still
therealtimshady

12 Apr 2012 18:53

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:I'm a theology student at the Evangelical Theological Faculty in Leuven.

Not entirely sure what I'll do when I've finished that.

You can become a Godsdienstleerkracht :p

dude that sounds really really aweful :o
Life's too important to be taken seriously
Doping sucks

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.

hrotha wrote:You guys have an ancient barbarian mentality. Charge right in and be inevitably slaughtered by the superior foe, so that you can be buried with your sword and your silly notions of an "honorable fight".
and proud of it :D
User avatar Michielveedeebee

12 Apr 2012 19:30

RedheadDane wrote:[SIZE="4"]How old are you people?[/SIZE] Didn't realize that all boys school still existed

You disappoint me!

Could not be that long ago because hitch mentions mobile phones in his post. :eek:
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

12 Apr 2012 19:56

Wouldn't that be amusing if Hitch were about 15 years old. :D

Have to say I feel for you. I thought my education was bad. Supertramp's Bloody Well Right ran through my head all the time.

So you think you're schooling is phoney?
I guess it's hard not to agree.
You say it all depends on the money
and who is in your family tree.

Right? Right!

You're Bloody Well Right!
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

I didn't think there'd be so much interest...

12 Apr 2012 20:09

The Hitch wrote:Yeah you got me beat. way worse. when was this if you don't mind my asking.

... I graduated about 45 years ago... not dog years, human years. Funny, my wife (then girlfriend) couldn't understand why I never talked in the morning. It took years to break the silence habit. Every morning at 6:15 an alarm loud enough to wake the dead would sound. All things being equal I still wake up about 6:15. Fr. Vanden Bosch was so reactionary he made the German students learn German Script, which I think Hitler did away with in the 1940's. It was more sepia than black and white.
User avatar rickshaw

PreviousNext

Return to General