Register

The one and only official job/school thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 Apr 2012 21:00

@Hitch and @Rickshaw you should read Thomas Bernhard's autobiography, there is some powerful stuff about his time at a nazi/catholic boarding school during and after WW2 in Salzburg
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

13 Apr 2012 06:28

Glenn_Wilson wrote:Could not be that long ago because hitch mentions mobile phones in his post. :eek:

Could've been something like this:

:p

[SIZE="5"]Just kidding![/SIZE] I don't really think you're a bunch of oldies.
[SIZE="1"]Just somewhat mature in age.[/SIZE]
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

18 Jun 2012 09:23

I hope everyone who had exams graduated. I'm happy to say I did and to University we go::cool:
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

18 Jun 2012 17:20

RedheadDane wrote:Could've been something like this:

:p

[SIZE="5"]Just kidding![/SIZE] I don't really think you're a bunch of oldies.
[SIZE="1"]Just somewhat mature in age.[/SIZE]

Hitch is just as old as me.. :o
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

18 Jun 2012 17:20

Red Rick wrote:I hope everyone who had exams graduated. I'm happy to say I did and to University we go::cool:

Wooohooo congrats!!!!
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

18 Jun 2012 17:21

I am doing nothing atm. :cool:
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

18 Jun 2012 18:28

LaFlorecita wrote:I am doing nothing atm. :cool:

Why is that? Doing nothing can't be good although i can be fun though:D
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

18 Jun 2012 19:00

LaFlorecita wrote:I am doing nothing atm. :cool:

This surprises me.

[color="White"]*wink wink*[/color]
Signed,

13th best mountainbiker of the World (2004)
18th best mountainbiker of the World (2005)
Cyclingnews Reader Polls
User avatar boomcie

18 Jun 2012 20:20

Red Rick wrote:Why is that? Doing nothing can't be good although i can be fun though:D

Just got my masters :) but don't have a job or something like that.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

18 Jun 2012 20:23

boomcie wrote:This surprises me.

Oh really?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

18 Jun 2012 21:54

I'm a Company Director.
Its a very small company and I'm also the only employee, but it works better for tax to be a director.
Swifty's Cakes

18 Jun 2012 22:33

ElChingon wrote:Well you may say things are crap now, whether it be school, job (or lack of), etc. but just you wait till the next step up in life, you'll be flashing back and thinking, man it was pretty damn nice back then. . . . .

Maybe, maybe not. Some folks just never do look back with any pleasant thoughts on the schooling of their teenage years. Some folks pretty much blow off the learning of those years, and do real well in university.

However, blowing off the learning available in those high school, or gymnasium, or whatever you call it in your country - does most frequently delay you getting where ever it is you decide you want to go. Totally blowing it off - as dropping out or not getting to university is very negative in terms of the options you have available in life. But, if you are planning on going to university, you are probably only soft-pedaling what you could do. (Like taking a B instead of an A, or a C instead of a B).

I say all this with hindsight. I attended our 40th high school graduation reunion a few years ago. For me, those years were formative - but it was because of my peer group more than the school. I did have one teacher who is still a friend - but he taught me more about life than he did in the classroom. We were neighbors and he was something of a mentor to me. Most of the other teachers I barely remember.
User avatar hiero2

18 Jun 2012 22:36

Not doing anything at the moment. Finished upper secondary school, which is kinda like senior high. Actual school ended in February but had exams till late March, haven't done anything useful since then. Applied to a university, but didn't really make an effort 'cause I have to do my military service in January.

Maybe I'll just hang around till January.

Got to say I hated school too. I found learning things that aren't useful in any way to be extremely stupid. Music, arts and crafts shouldn't be subjects at all. And literature shouldn't be taught either. And in mathematics they teach a billion things that you're not likely to use at all in your life after the exam.
Nastyy

19 Jun 2012 03:05

So things that actually have meaning to a lot of people shouldn't be taught? What should be taught than? Only applied mathematics and applied sience?
What about the foundations for anything like that? How would people get them if they only learned the directly applieable parts of it? Who'd ever find the foundations for that again?

And out of curiosity: what is the meaning of "useful" in the way you are using it?

Or to make it short:
if you don't learn anything about life or the general meaning of things, why would you learn at all and not rather be dead already? It seems to me nothing is left anymore, if the foundation of anything like independent thought is killed off before it can even arise.
User avatar Rechtschreibfehler

19 Jun 2012 03:20

Some of the replies here serve to enforce "classy" debates that go on in the other sections of the forum...

I know it will be pain to your ears or brain but some of you needed to listen more in school.

And definitely Euclidean geometry should of been mastered not just taught, then some Differential geometry to bend your brain like a pretzel (I know overkill but when you're there its like seeing the inside of the world). Logic anyone?

+10 billion Rechtschreibfehler
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 09:37

Rechtschreibfehler wrote:So things that actually have meaning to a lot of people shouldn't be taught? What should be taught than? Only applied mathematics and applied sience?
What about the foundations for anything like that? How would people get them if they only learned the directly applieable parts of it? Who'd ever find the foundations for that again?

And out of curiosity: what is the meaning of "useful" in the way you are using it?

Or to make it short:
if you don't learn anything about life or the general meaning of things, why would you learn at all and not rather be dead already? It seems to me nothing is left anymore, if the foundation of anything like independent thought is killed off before it can even arise.

By things that have a meaning to people I suppose you mean music, arts and crafts. Those are hobbies and a vast majority doesn't indulge themselves in those hobbies and they really serve a purpose in school for a small percentage.
In Finnish curriculum music means that you sing in school or play instruments if you know how to, 80% of the class doesn't do either so it's useless.
Arts is pretty much the same, you just draw and most are crappy drawers and it's not like you get any better 'cause nobody teaches you to get better. Crafts is useless, because again a very small percentage will ever do something remotely close to that again. If you have to have crafts then make it useful and teach things that come up in mundane life, not how to make ornaments.
Many things in life have a meaning to me but I don't expect them to be taught in school, 'cause they serve no meaning to most of my peers.

And by useful I mean things that serve a purpose to you in your later life and you can think "oh great they taught me this at school so I know how to handle this" when you encounter a problem. So far drawing or singing has never got me out of trouble. Neither do I think that those things are sophisticating in any way. Million things could be said to be sophisticating that aren't taught in school.

School is supposed to be about educating people, not making them waste their time with things that aren't relevant at all. Elementary school math is okay, you learn all the basic stuff there. But after that in upper secondary school here in Finland, you are taught things that are of no use unless you decide to pursue a career in mathematical field. To most people it is just a waste of time learning things that you forget soon and never have to use again. School should be less mandatory in terms of subjects you have to study. You should be able to choose subjects that are useful to you in your future when you go to university and so on or choose subjects that hold a meaning to you. Education would be more efficient that way and people could concentrate on things that they find interesting/useful and all the unnecessary crap could be left out.
Nastyy

19 Jun 2012 09:56

Nastyy wrote:By things that have a meaning to people I suppose you mean music, arts and crafts. Those are hobbies and a vast majority doesn't indulge themselves in those hobbies and they really serve a purpose in school for a small percentage.
In Finnish curriculum music means that you sing in school or play instruments if you know how to, 80% of the class doesn't do either so it's useless.
Arts is pretty much the same, you just draw and most are crappy drawers and it's not like you get any better 'cause nobody teaches you to get better. Crafts is useless, because again a very small percentage will ever do something remotely close to that again. If you have to have crafts then make it useful and teach things that come up in mundane life, not how to make ornaments.
Many things in life have a meaning to me but I don't expect them to be taught in school, 'cause they serve no meaning to most of my peers.

And by useful I mean things that serve a purpose to you in your later life and you can think "oh great they taught me this at school so I know how to handle this" when you encounter a problem. So far drawing or singing has never got me out of trouble. Neither do I think that those things are sophisticating in any way. Million things could be said to be sophisticating that aren't taught in school.

School is supposed to be about educating people, not making them waste their time with things that aren't relevant at all. Elementary school math is okay, you learn all the basic stuff there. But after that in upper secondary school here in Finland, you are taught things that are of no use unless you decide to pursue a career in mathematical field. To most people it is just a waste of time learning things that you forget soon and never have to use again. School should be less mandatory in terms of subjects you have to study. You should be able to choose subjects that are useful to you in your future when you go to university and so on or choose subjects that hold a meaning to you. Education would be more efficient that way and people could concentrate on things that they find interesting/useful and all the unnecessary crap could be left out.

But secondary school isn't compulsory is it?
Do you suggest that you start at university after primary school?
User avatar Magnus

19 Jun 2012 10:13

Magnus wrote:But secondary school isn't compulsory is it?
Do you suggest that you start at university after primary school?

Of course not but you have to choose between upper secondary school or vocational school. If you want to go to university you go to upper secondary school, you can get to a university after vocational school too but it is much harder and probably 5% or even less of those who finish vocational school even apply to a university.

And even though secondary school is voluntarily, after you go there, most of the courses are mandatory.
Nastyy

19 Jun 2012 11:24

Had three exams after this semester, two I failed the third I don't know about [SIZE="2"](but I hope)[/SIZE]
One of those I failed I don't even really know what went wrong, the other was a classical case of brain meltdown...
Halfway through my BA, which I'll have to take over four years instead of the usual three.
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 15:43

LaFlorecita wrote:J[color="black"][/color]ust got my masters :) but don't have a job or something like that.

Masters in what?
Spanish?::-) :
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General