Register

The one and only official job/school thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

19 Jun 2012 16:43

Red Rick wrote:Masters in what?
Spanish?::-) :

Lololol. :) No, European Law.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 17:38

I am a school student and I am just completing my first lot of exams.
Generally my school is very competitive and so it is really a good motivation for working hard, but it is really hard to keep on top of everything.

I have had 25 Exams in the past 2 weeks and next year there is more and the next and the next year as well.

Also its an only boys school but teachers are generally friendly and rules arent that harsh. Though our playground is a concrete slab we have been trying to move for years but London is so crowded it is difficult to. We play some sport but out Sports department is pathetic basically consists of an Australian and a Scotsman who are both dropouts and cant play most sports for their life. We do play football and cricket, badmintion, Table tennis, running and basketball against other schools. Luckily we now have an indian teacher who has taken over cricket so we are now getting some proper games in.
User avatar Froome19

19 Jun 2012 18:43

I'm gonna study Biomedical Sciences, so all diseases will be gone in 10 years or they will fly up the Alp in less than half an hour because of me:D:D
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

19 Jun 2012 18:45

Red Rick wrote:I'm gonna study Biomedical Sciences, so all diseases will be gone in 10 years or they will fly up the Alp in less than half an hour because of me:D:D

Ha brilliant:D
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 18:55

Swifty's Cakes wrote:I'm a Company Director.
Its a very small company and I'm also the only employee, but it works better for tax to be a director.

Do you 'watch' people's cars for them, for a fiver?
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 19:15

He is obviously making cakes.
DominicDecoco

19 Jun 2012 19:55

DominicDecoco wrote:He is obviously making cakes.

Or swiftly takes/eats them. :D
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 20:09

Froome19 wrote:I have had 25 Exams in the past 2 weeks and next year there is more and the next and the next year as well.

Holy ****! :eek: How's that even possible?
Supposing you didn't have any exams on Weekends that's only ten days for 25 exams! You'd have to have at least two per day! [SIZE="3"]How do you even...?[/SIZE]
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 20:13

They're GCSEs, which are designed so that even idiots get A*, so I wouldn't be impressed if someone could sit two at once.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

19 Jun 2012 20:21

Hardly 'exams' then..?
DominicDecoco

19 Jun 2012 21:21

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:They're GCSEs, which are designed so that even idiots get A*, so I wouldn't be impressed if someone could sit two at once.

Precisely.
It isnt exactly over the 2 weeks though as I did in fact do a couple back in May.
Sad thing is I still have to do around another 30 of these stupid GCSE exams....

Though Waterloo the grade boundaries are based so that only the top students will get A*, so no idiots
Though I have got A* in all of the ones I have got back so far.
User avatar Froome19

19 Jun 2012 21:40

even A levels people usually get at least 1 day where they sit 2 maybe even 3 exams and thats miles harder than gcse's.

DominicDecoco wrote:Hardly 'exams' then..?

At the end of the day they dont really matter unless you really fail.

To put it in perspective, the first question of a language listening exam will be "what is the cats name" (in english) . The examiner will press the play on the tape at which point a native speaker will say in the target language -
tttttttthhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee -----------(long pause) caaaaaaaaaatssss ---------naaaaammmmmmeeeeee ------- iiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssss ------- fffffffeeeeeeeeeeeellllliiiiiixxxxxx.

The tape will then repeat the answer in case you misssed it the first time:cool:
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 01:20

airstream wrote:i'm a student, a future programmer

bah, dislike programming.
I had to do a couple programming units during my course and fair to say had a lot of headaches. I did enjoy it at times, especially advanced web development.

Froome19 wrote:snip

how old are you?

---------

Anyway I am..

a) a student; In two weeks I begin my final semester of University (just 3 units left) :cool: I am doing my bachelor degree of Information Technology and my Major is Networking. I should be finished in october (providing I passed the exams I just recently completed, which I am confident I did), at this point I hope to seek employement in the IT field.

b) currently working part time for a logistics company. We basically ship freight accross Australia via Trucks (I am in admin, therefore mainly provide quotes, booking and general office work. I also help out when there are IT related problems); mostly boats, caravans, trucks, cars. It is not a bad gig actually.
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 02:21

I am reading books in the art of male striping so in short i am studying to be a male strip dancer :D
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 06:50

Has anyone done the IB on here? If so can you pls explain the pros and cons.

In NSW we have a good program ( the HSC ) but some schools are offering IB ( including mine ) and therefore i am placed in a conundrum. Both of these are my courses before University.

The HSC is 10- 13 units. My strengths lie in humanities. If i do the HSC i can do ancient/ modern and probably even extension ( 5 units ). Then i can do high level english, business studies and possibly economics. I would also do geography. I could also consider PRS ( Philosophy and religious studies ), Legal studies and general maths, or skip them all.

If i do the IB i have to broaden my scope. You have to do 3 Standard level and 3 High level. However i would have to do maths and a language ( beginners' Italian )- which i might not be confident in.

My 3 high ones would be Geo, History and English ( probably ). I would at standard level probably do Italian ( which would be earlier than all of my other exams thanks to Europe ), Maths 9 which is apparently hard- even at Standard level ) and a science ( either Biography or sports science ). You then also have to do a compulsory course called ( TOK ) which is Theory of Knowledge- which looks at how knowledge has been accumulated.
The disadvantage of IB is also you have to do a lot of work out of school. However it is well recognised overseas, though the HSC is as well.

Thx.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 11:55

greenedge wrote:Has anyone done the IB on here? If so can you pls explain the pros and cons.

In NSW we have a good program ( the HSC ) but some schools are offering IB ( including mine ) and therefore i am placed in a conundrum. Both of these are my courses before University.

The HSC is 10- 13 units. My strengths lie in humanities. If i do the HSC i can do ancient/ modern and probably even extension ( 5 units ). Then i can do high level english, business studies and possibly economics. I would also do geography. I could also consider PRS ( Philosophy and religious studies ), Legal studies and general maths, or skip them all.

If i do the IB i have to broaden my scope. You have to do 3 Standard level and 3 High level. However i would have to do maths and a language ( beginners' Italian )- which i might not be confident in.

My 3 high ones would be Geo, History and English ( probably ). I would at standard level probably do Italian ( which would be earlier than all of my other exams thanks to Europe ), Maths 9 which is apparently hard- even at Standard level ) and a science ( either Biography or sports science ). You then also have to do a compulsory course called ( TOK ) which is Theory of Knowledge- which looks at how knowledge has been accumulated.
The disadvantage of IB is also you have to do a lot of work out of school. However it is well recognised overseas, though the HSC is as well.

Thx.

I am pretty sure IB is standard across all Schools in Australia. I think that many of the possibilities that IB brings can still be done through your classic HSC to University to Overseas progression so it depends on what you want to do. Many schools only offer it to their top couple of students anyway so it can be quite hard to get into. I am not 100% sure on this, as I am long gone from the High School education system, but good luck to you.

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:Anyway I am..

a) a student; In two weeks I begin my final semester of University (just 3 units left) :cool: I am doing my bachelor degree of Information Technology and my Major is Networking. I should be finished in october (providing I passed the exams I just recently completed, which I am confident I did), at this point I hope to seek employement in the IT field.

You shouldn't have much trouble with finding employment in IT Timmy, as it is one of the few growing industries in Australia.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 11:55

I do research into several topics including tropical dieases and doping...
patterson_hood

20 Jun 2012 12:05

Completed Science Degree, doing some other little courses this year, probably doing a Masters in Law. Hopefully continue to do something in Law after that, then go into Politics (preferably State), lose a lot of friends as a result of that, then get kicked out of Politics, retire with a fat pension paid for by the Government, be sent off to a nursing home and finally croak it!

That's the plan at least! ;)
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 12:08

auscyclefan94 wrote:I am pretty sure IB is standard across all Schools in Australia. I think that many of the possibilities that IB brings can still be done through your classic HSC to University to Overseas progression so it depends on what you want to do. Many schools only offer it to their top couple of students anyway so it can be quite hard to get into. I am not 100% sure on this, as I am long gone from the High School education system, but good luck to you.

You shouldn't have much trouble with finding employment in IT Timmy, as it is one of the few growing industries in Australia.

Mining:D
Thx ACF, for the wish. In Sydney or NSW only 13 secondary/ high schools do it ( i could not remember ). I am definitely not a top student but at our school they are encouraging the middle students to do it as as the average for our school ( IB result- 34, would translate into an ATAR of 92% ), which is quite sweet. You are right that the HSC is a good program and offers overseas options- thx.

ACF- do you live in Melbourne?
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 12:10

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:bah, dislike programming.
I had to do a couple programming units during my course and fair to say had a lot of headaches. I did enjoy it at times, especially advanced web development.

Lol. Programming. At least you can say you dislike it. I can only say that I'm barely able to turn on my pc.

how old are you?

Froomie is 15 yo :) And his little brother is on this forum too.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General