Register

The one and only official job/school thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

20 Jun 2012 12:28

I see, almost feel bad picking on him at times now :p

@acf yes I'm pretty confident in getting a job, will probably start with a help desk type job for 6 months tho as a lot of businesses like some experience .

@greenedge
He lives in Melbourne. His part time job is being my foot stool, he got so used to being my foot stool on the forum he thought he may as well make it a reality.
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 12:52

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:I see, almost feel bad picking on him at times now :p

Yeah lol I know. His bro is 12 years old which makes me a little scared because will he cry when someone is mean to him?
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 16:58

Froome19 wrote:Precisely.
It isnt exactly over the 2 weeks though as I did in fact do a couple back in May.
Sad thing is I still have to do around another 30 of these stupid GCSE exams....

Though Waterloo the grade boundaries are based so that only the top students will get A*, so no idiots
Though I have got A* in all of the ones I have got back so far.

Have you done maths yet? I think 90% of the country could get an A* if they learnt the basics
Climeon

20 Jun 2012 19:31

LaFlorecita wrote:

Froomie is 15 yo :) And his little brother is on this forum too.

Nope I am not 15 years old anymore :p
Climeon wrote:Have you done maths yet? I think 90% of the country could get an A* if they learnt the basics

Not yet, I dont know what Examboard you did but ours give us these stupid questions which are more English than Maths so it is more than just learning the basics:(
User avatar Froome19

20 Jun 2012 20:13

If i'd get paid for every minute I wasted on this forum i'd be filthy rich:D
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

20 Jun 2012 20:46

Red Rick wrote:If i'd get paid for every minute I wasted on this forum i'd be filthy rich:D

Imagine how rich i would be :cool:
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 20:47

LaFlorecita wrote:Yeah lol I know. His bro is 12 years old which makes me a little scared because will he cry when someone is mean to him?

In hindsight, i may have been a little hard on the lad.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 21:14

Working on a double major in biology and environmental studies at a liberal arts college in the midwest with hopes of becoming a professor some day. I do bio and chem research during the summer, like right now I am writing while waiting for a sample to run in our NMR machine.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

20 Jun 2012 21:39

I'm a cultural mediator working with refugees and asylum seekers (mostrly coming from western Africa). It's a good job and I just got a pay raise :D
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

20 Jun 2012 21:53

SafeBet wrote:I'm a cultural mediator working with refugees and asylum seekers (mostrly coming from western Africa). It's a good job and I just got a pay raise :D

Impressive! That sounds like a great job.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

20 Jun 2012 22:13

It is.
Only complain is that they force me to work a lot on computer stuff which takes time from actually staying with the guys. But it has to be done, I guess.

Best part is when I'm asked to go with them to public events, dinners, african parties and dances, you get the idea :D
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

21 Jun 2012 06:52

The Hitch wrote:Imagine how rich i would be :cool:

You could at least buy a cycling team:D
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

21 Jun 2012 19:55

The Hitch wrote:I feel your pain. My secondary school (ages 11 - 16 with 17-18 optional, in this country) was the worst experience of my life.

It was a catholic nutjob school

Only boys of course. No coed. 7 years of only boys. :rolleyes:

Crappy uniforms of shirts ties and blazers to be warn in hot or cold. Shoes polished and all that.

NO SPORT.

NO RUNNING in playground allowed, not even playing football with a stone which was punishable by detention, no talking in groups of larger than 5.

No mobile phones. Having a mobile phone punished not by detention but by suspension from school for a week:rolleyes:

No visiting shops after school. Teachers posted to shops in the area to make sure no one went in. Detention if caught.

Everyone had to use the assigned train station. Years 1-3 one train station. Years 3-5 another. Teachers posted to train stations to make sure no one is using wrong station.

School lunch mandatory even if it sucked. Moreover to get to lunch 1 had to wait in a long line that got 10 minutes shorter every year. Lines were arranged based on year and then alphabetical order (surname)

No outside food allowed. If school lunch sucked, or if it run out which it sometimes did, you just had to make it through the day hungry. Tough.

If it rained, which it often does in this country we had to sit in class but got punished by detention if we tried to do our homework:rolleyes:

The school did not have the money to buy space for playground cos instead it spent thousands on its own small church and its own hymn books.

If I dig out my old rule book will probably remind myself of a lot more of these idiotic ideas.

Everytime i vistied a foreign country i felt it had robbed me of my childhood. Feel the same way right now. Hate it as much as when i left nearly 4 years ago.

Damn dude, where did you grow up?!
User avatar Walkman

21 Jun 2012 20:07

Yeah just wtf Hitch... that's like a catholic school here, but then 60 years ago. Even our catholic schools allow basically everything nowadays
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

21 Jun 2012 23:34

1 subject done, 5 to go!!!!

really wasn't expecting to pass this one so it came out of nowhere!!!! i was seeing my life going backwards because of this one but now i may manage to be on vacations in 2 weeks! yuppi :cool:
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

21 Jun 2012 23:54

Parrulo wrote:1 subject done, 5 to go!!!!

really wasn't expecting to pass this one so it came out of nowhere!!!! i was seeing my life going backwards because of this one but now i may manage to be on vacations in 2 weeks! yuppi :cool:

congrats man.

Nothing beats passing a unit you see no hope for.
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

22 Jun 2012 00:09

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:congrats man.

Nothing beats passing a unit you see no hope for.

yup, it would have been my fault tho if i didn't pass this one.

the unit evaluation method is simple, 4 testes from 0 to 100 and over those 4 tests the sum of your results must be higher then 190 which would equal 9.5 in the 0 to 20 scale usually used.

i thought "well this is pretty easy" so didn't study for the first one and got 24 out of 100. i thought i could recover easily from that on the second test and was a bit too confident so ended up getting 36 out of 100 :o the subject get's exponentially harder over each test so i had to really study like a mad man for the third one where i got 75 out of 100.

needing only 55 i got pretty cocky once again, started studying the day before the final test and almost wanted to kill myself when i realized that i didn't knew a thing with just 1 day to go. Desperation mode was officially activated with just a little over 18 hours to go for the test, no more sleep and lot's of coffees and cigarettes later i arrive at the test and am presented with a mighty hard test (seems like most people failed miserably by looking at the grades :() but lucky me managed to get a supa dupa cool 61 :p
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

22 Jun 2012 00:25

Walkman wrote:Damn dude, where did you grow up?!

21st century London. It was a school with a strong Catholic tradition - set up by some saint or something, and for this reason Tony Blair when he wanted to show he was with the Catholicism (his wife is Catholic, he was a protestant) chose to send his kids there and then half the kids in london wanted to go there and it was 10-1 to get in.

Not on ability though, the main criteria was to prove you knew the Catholic prayers and get signed documents from priests that you go to church every day :rolleyes:

So yeah it was a bit extreme for these reasons.

User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

22 Jun 2012 07:26

The Hitch wrote:In hindsight, i may have been a little hard on the lad.

Yes, yes you were!
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

22 Jun 2012 14:59

The Hitch wrote:21st century London. It was a school with a strong Catholic tradition - set up by some saint or something, and for this reason Tony Blair when he wanted to show he was with the Catholicism (his wife is Catholic, he was a protestant) chose to send his kids there and then half the kids in london wanted to go there and it was 10-1 to get in.

Not on ability though, the main criteria was to prove you knew the Catholic prayers and get signed documents from priests that you go to church every day :rolleyes:

So yeah it was a bit extreme for these reasons.

London Oratory School?
User avatar Froome19

PreviousNext

Return to General