Register

Major League Baseball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

07 Mar 2012 02:54

I am creating this new thread, and locking the old threads, so we follow one thread for all baseball.

:cool:
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

21 Apr 2012 22:32

White Sox pitcher Phil Humber throws a perfect game against the Mariners
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

21 Apr 2012 23:20

Pretty incredible. He had never even pitched into the 9th inning before, let alone a complete game.

User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

22 Apr 2012 05:10

I'll agree with incredible, even if Mariners suck.
Attitude is everything. What you think is in actions, actions result in habits, habits develop character, and character develops your future.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

22 Apr 2012 05:15

Where is Phil Niekro nowadays? ;)
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

22 Apr 2012 13:54

Having been following it too closely last couple years, but as always (in the early part of season at least) GO JAYS GO!
Fetisoff

22 Apr 2012 14:13

3 strikes and you are out.

The 1st strike was the MLB-Strike 1994/95.
The 2nd was ARod signing for 100 Mio $, but stadiums have to be paid by citizens. That´s absurd.
Strike 3 was all the doping issues breaking free in around 2004. But at that time i was only watching a little bit. Basically i was a hardcore fan until ARod. Then i gave it up more & more.

Like cycling and football, the 80´s were the greaties. After that it became more and more greed & money. It´s not a sport anymore.

What a shame for this once the greatest game of the world.
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

23 Apr 2012 02:02

Finally the nationals are doing well. Strasburg is a beast, and with jordan zimmerman, gio gonzalez, and ross detwiler they have a really good pitching rotation.
Swede1

01 Oct 2013 13:48

The 2013 MLB playoffs are upon us. I hope there are some fans out there.

In the [color="Navy"]NL[/color] we have:

Cincinnati at Pittsburgh in one wildcard game. This is the first time in many years the Pirates have been. Home field helps, but the Reds are probably a better team. Winner takes on St. Louis.

The other series has the LA Dodgers taking on Atlanta, who somewhat backed into the playoffs. Dodgers have maybe the most solid team in MLB, position for position.

In the [color="DarkRed"]AL[/color] we have:

Tampa Bay at Cleveland in the single game wild card. The Indians won a lot of games late against easy competition, but TB is hot as well. Winner goes to Boston.

The other series is Detroit and Oakland. Im a big A's fan, but their schedule was fairly weak late, and if Verlander pitches like he's capable...

As to predictions, the NL seems like an LA-St.Louis showdown, and I like the Dodgers. Though I'd love to see the Pirates beat the Reds and win some games.

The AL is more intriguing. If Tampa gets past the Indians, they are a well run club with playoff experience, and a good rotation. This could give Boston some fits. Detroit and Oakland alone should be fun to watch.

Overall I think Boston is the team to beat, if Clay Buckholz pitches like he's capable, the Redsox pitching is very solid, with consistent hitters, and will be hard to stop.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

01 Oct 2013 19:21

I don't pay much attention to baseball, but will root for the Indians being I lived in Cleveland for several years many moons ago. (I went to a couple of games at the old Cleveland stadium, the peanut gallery bleachers in the outfield were a blast.)

Otherwise I'm a Mariners fan, being I also lived in Seattle for quite a few years.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

11 Oct 2013 19:30

We're down to four teams.

I have to like the RedSox over the Tigers, though the way Verlander pitched last night, no one will hit him.

The consensus is the Dodgers over the Cardinals, but the way St. Louis is playing, and especially pitching, I am not writing them off.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

11 Oct 2013 19:55

Alpe d'Huez wrote:We're down to four teams.

I have to like the RedSox over the Tigers, though the way Verlander pitched last night, no one will hit him.

The consensus is the Dodgers over the Cardinals, but the way St. Louis is playing, and especially pitching, I am not writing them off.

Verlander was simply awesome from what I saw while mainly watching the Giants lose again. Agree with your view of who the 'favorites' are, but I'll be contrary and pick the Tigers and Cards to go through.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

12 Oct 2013 18:20

I'm sure the Tigers would love to get revenge on the Cardinals from a few years ago when Leyland didn't pitch Kenny Rogers, saving him, figuring Verlander would get them home. And Verlander, then a rookie, buckled under pressure.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

12 Oct 2013 22:57

Holy ****, that ninth inning by Rosenthal was unbelievable!! Couldn't have been more than maybe 12 pitches to strike out three. I don't think any of the batters touched the ball - one of them was 101 mph.

But watching a team trying to grind out a 1-0 is not really what the neutral fan wants to see, though it has a certain charm for soccer fans, who regularly go through the stress of desperately hanging on to the slimmest of leads.

Something like a 10-8 would be more fun, though.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

13 Oct 2013 20:32

Detroit and Boston tonite. Last night was classic and this series promises to be great.

GO TIGERS
User avatar veganrob

14 Oct 2013 17:01

We, last nights game 2 of the ALCS was something!
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

27 Oct 2013 08:54

can't believe no one is talking about the World Series…. no Sox or Card fans?

okay, a plea from me: if anybody is watching it in europe, where? i've had ESPN America forever and they stopped broadcasting this past summer :(

ta!
[SIZE="2"]______________
sempre con noi[/SIZE]
User avatar thirteen

27 Oct 2013 13:46

thirteen wrote:can't believe no one is talking about the World Series…. no Sox or Card fans?

okay, a plea from me: if anybody is watching it in europe, where? i've had ESPN America forever and they stopped broadcasting this past summer :(

ta!

Hey there, baseball buddy!:) The way last night finished was really something! No WS game has previously ever been decided on an 'obstruction' call by an umpire. I think the decision was correct.

Ok, here is where/how you can find links to baseball streams.

First, you need to install Streamtorrent, it's quick and easy, I've used it for years.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/Stream-Torrent.shtml

Then, go here -

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forums/22-MLB-Baseball

When you follow the link at the top of this forum page that says 'streaming', you'll get a page like this, which shows today's links -

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/86150-Streaming-MLB-Today-Sunday-October-27

I usually select the link with the highest 'k' rate, which usually means the best picture. However, I've been watching recent games on the C-sports link because I've found that stream to be the most reliable, as well as without all those damn commercials. Expect a stream to take about 3 minutes to load and buffer.

Didn't we wind up texting during last year's WS? :confused:
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

27 Oct 2013 16:34

That was some ending! I want the Sox, but after hearing the explanation of the rule, I think it was the right call. The only question is when Middlebrooks lifted his legs he was moving them out of the baseline, or moving them in the way of Craig who was inside the line, but that's what the umps saw as a rule violation, as he did block the path.

What a crappy way to lose a game though.

I said entering the playoffs that the RedSox chances rested a lot on the arm of Clay Buckholz. He was looking like a Cy Young winner early in the season before getting hurt. After returning in September, he was hot/cold. How he pitches tonight will go a long way to determining this series. Sox lose tonight, Im not sure they can dig their way out of a 3-1 hole, though they would have Lester in Game 5, and Lackey & Peavy in 6, 7 at Fenway, and both pitch better at home.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

27 Oct 2013 17:05

Amsterhammer wrote:Hey there, baseball buddy!:) The way last night finished was really something! No WS game has previously ever been decided on an 'obstruction' call by an umpire. I think the decision was correct.

Ok, here is where/how you can find links to baseball streams.

First, you need to install Streamtorrent, it's quick and easy, I've used it for years.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/Stream-Torrent.shtml

alas, only for Windows :(
Didn't we wind up texting during last year's WS? :confused:

we did and it's killing me that we're not this time around!

i've been travelling too much and barely got here from the states before i was off to the UK, then back here, and go back to the states just in time to miss the whole series… trying desperately to get back on track whichever time zone i'm in and it sucks… i want to watch this!

if i had only thought ahead, i would have worked my trip to leave from Amsterdam and caught the last game with you :D
[SIZE="2"]______________
sempre con noi[/SIZE]
User avatar thirteen

Next

Return to General