Register

Major League Baseball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

03 Nov 2016 05:27

Holy mother of God, that was an epic for the ages, rightly won by the best team of the season. If the Cubs can break a 108 year drought there's hope for all of us who support teams that lose.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

03 Nov 2016 10:27

CUBBIES!!!!!!!!
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

03 Nov 2016 13:56

Yay Cubbies, the curse of the Billy Goat has at last been broken! (Don't really know all the details because I wasn't there, but apparently way back when a fan and his goat had been kicked out of a game, and thus began the curse. Sounds pretty funny, actually.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

03 Nov 2016 15:38

You guys are going to love this. Remember me complaining last year about how games last too darned long into the night here on the east coast, and should start an hour earlier? So, I'm watching the game last night, Cubs are up I think 6-2, it's time for me to go to bed, so I set my DVR to record, and add a full hour to the recording, to make sure I don't miss anything, and go to bed.

I wake up, eager to see who won, avoiding looking at the phone, or anything. I start the DVR, Indians tie the game, looks like extra innings, rain delay. And I wait, and fast forward. And low and behold, just as the players are back on the field and game's back starting up, the DVR recording ends!!! Even with adding extra time, I missed the whole blessed excitement of the end!

Ouch!
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re:

03 Nov 2016 16:25

Alpe d'Huez wrote:You guys are going to love this. Remember me complaining last year about how games last too darned long into the night here on the east coast, and should start an hour earlier? So, I'm watching the game last night, Cubs are up I think 6-2, it's time for me to go to bed, so I set my DVR to record, and add a full hour to the recording, to make sure I don't miss anything, and go to bed.

I wake up, eager to see who won, avoiding looking at the phone, or anything. I start the DVR, Indians tie the game, looks like extra innings, rain delay. And I wait, and fast forward. And low and behold, just as the players are back on the field and game's back starting up, the DVR recording ends!!! Even with adding extra time, I missed the whole blessed excitement of the end!

Ouch!

There are times when sleep is overrated.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

Re:

03 Nov 2016 17:11

Alpe d'Huez wrote:You guys are going to love this. Remember me complaining last year about how games last too darned long into the night here on the east coast, and should start an hour earlier? So, I'm watching the game last night, Cubs are up I think 6-2, it's time for me to go to bed, so I set my DVR to record, and add a full hour to the recording, to make sure I don't miss anything, and go to bed.

Ouch!
Oh wow, you had just reminded me that I had set my TV on record, and truth be told, after the game was tied in the 8th I couldn't bear to watch anymore. So I didn't.

So this morning when I found out the Cubs had won I was all happy that I had recorded the game, but egads! After reading your post I couldn't remember whether I had added enough time extension! So I was checking all furiously, turns out I had added three hours because baseball games can go on practically indefinitely, so luckily I've got the whole thing.

Whew, that was a close one!
User avatar Tricycle Rider

04 Nov 2016 12:15

You are a wiser man than I.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

04 Nov 2016 16:41

http://wgntv.com/on-air/live-streaming/

Parade live now, never seen anything like it. First estimates are 3m+ !!
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

04 Nov 2016 17:00

THE HEAVENS—Following a 8-7 victory over the Cleveland Indians that clinched the team’s first World Series title since 1908, sources confirmed Wednesday that millions of intoxicated Chicago Cubs fans are currently rioting across Heaven.
Moments after watching the game’s final out from above Earth, massive throngs of intoxicated Cubs fans—most of whom went their entire lives without ever seeing the team win a World Series—poured out all over the eternal city, where they reportedly continued drinking heavily as they cheered, hugged strangers, and loudly played golden harps in celebration of their long-awaited championship.
“Let’s go, Cubbies!” screamed Susan Leitch, who died of cardiac arrest in 1997 at the age of 70, before joining hundreds of fellow deceased Chicago fans as they repeatedly sang the chorus of “Go Cubs, Go!” “World Series champs! Finally!”
“Woo!” continued Leitch as she drunkenly stumbled over her feet and broke out in a fit of laughter.
According to reports, after one fan managed to affix a large “W” win flag to the top of the Pearly Gates, a large mob of Cubs fans began violently shaking the gateway as they chanted third baseman Kris Bryant’s name for nearly an hour. Sources confirmed that the gold-paved streets were quickly littered with empty beer cans, cigarettes, spilled food, and other refuse, while a number of inebriated fans were also seen urinating against the sapphire, emerald, and diamond–encrusted walls that protect the sacred realm.

http://www.theonion.com/article/millions-drunk-cubs-fans-rioting-heaven-following--54580
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

Previous

Return to General