Register

Major League Baseball

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

23 Sep 2015 17:17

"It ain't over till it's over"

I guess it's over.

A little factoid for you. Yogi Berra has more World Series rings than anyone in history, at 10. Add 3 more as a coach. To add to that, 21 times he went to the big dance as a player or manager. Astounding.

The great Babe Ruth went to less than half. Winning 4 with the Yankees, and 3 with the Red Sox, losing 3 more with the Bronx Bombers.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

29 Sep 2015 18:58

With the exception of a few years as a teen when it was available to me on tv and I was able watch, baseball has been a sport that I've only ever had a passing interest in, however after being on my netflix watch list for a while now I've just got round to seeing the documentary film 'The Battered Bastards of Baseball' and I recommend it to any who've not yet seen it.

For those that may not know the history, in the early 70's, Portland lost it's (AAA) baseball team the Portland Beavers to Spokane, and seeing an opportunity to indulge his love of baseball in steps actor Bing Russell (father of Kurt) who decided to set up an independent baseball club the Portland Mavericks, shunning the Major League farm system they held try outs and hired ex-major league players, those who failed to make the grade and maybe even some who had never really tried in the first place and together they managed to form one of the most successful teams on the field and also one of the most supported teams off it anywhere outside of the majors, some of antics, characters and players including Jim Boulton (author of Ball Four) was naturally not well received by corporate.

Even the end of the team is pure hollywood, I'm really not sure how well known the story of the Portland Mav's is but it was the first time I'd came across it and again if you've not seen it then it's worth the effort.
User avatar The Principal Sheep

Re:

30 Sep 2015 14:03

The Principal Sheep wrote:With the exception of a few years as a teen when it was available to me on tv and I was able watch, baseball has been a sport that I've only ever had a passing interest in, however after being on my netflix watch list for a while now I've just got round to seeing the documentary film 'The Battered Bastards of Baseball' and I recommend it to any who've not yet seen it.

For those that may not know the history, in the early 70's, Portland lost it's (AAA) baseball team the Portland Beavers to Spokane, and seeing an opportunity to indulge his love of baseball in steps actor Bing Russell (father of Kurt) who decided to set up an independent baseball club the Portland Mavericks, shunning the Major League farm system they held try outs and hired ex-major league players, those who failed to make the grade and maybe even some who had never really tried in the first place and together they managed to form one of the most successful teams on the field and also one of the most supported teams off it anywhere outside of the majors, some of antics, characters and players including Jim Boulton (author of Ball Four) was naturally not well received by corporate.

Even the end of the team is pure hollywood, I'm really not sure how well known the story of the Portland Mav's is but it was the first time I'd came across it and again if you've not seen it then it's worth the effort.

Agree, very good documentary..
User avatar Bustedknuckle

13 Oct 2015 23:59

The dream lives on! :cool: :D

GO CUBBIES!!

Bttf2 *taps side of nose knowingly*
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

14 Oct 2015 23:02

Go Cubs!
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

15 Oct 2015 16:35

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Go Cubs!

I'm all for the Cubs winning the World Series. But not this year.
I do not want to see a Blue Jays-Cubs match-up. The part of my heart that bleeds would be pulling for the Cubs.
User avatar the delgados

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2015 23:14

the delgados wrote:

I do not want to see a Blue Jays-Cubs match-up. The part of my heart that bleeds would be pulling for the Cubs.

No, it has to be this year.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

Re: Re:

17 Oct 2015 00:15

Amsterhammer wrote:
the delgados wrote:

No, it has to be this year.

Well, in the 1985 movie "Back to the Future" they go to Oct 21 2015, and in that movie the Cubs won the World Series. So you are correct. They have to win this year. Weird huh!

Besides, Cubs are overdue having not won since what, 1908?
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

17 Oct 2015 03:34

Go Cubs!

(For the love of all that is aero, get something done this year!)

Sincerely, a Mariner.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

21 Oct 2015 16:47

I have to admit the Mets have played just stellar. They look like a much better team than the NY fans (and media) gave them credit for all year.

The Royals were something yesterday. Very consistent bats. But if you watched both big HRs by Zobrist and Rios, there was simply way too much spin on Dickey's knuckleball. Despite some good late summer starts, he's just not the same pitcher he was a couple years ago.

Presuming KC takes care of Toronto and the Mets finish off the Cubs, the WS should be a real showcase of power hitting versus great pitching. Maybe even youth versus experience too.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

21 Oct 2015 19:23

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I have to admit the Mets have played just stellar. They look like a much better team than the NY fans (and media) gave them credit for all year.

That's because they weren't this good all season. They exploded after the All Star break with all their new signings all firing on all cylinders, while the Nats blew out their season during 10 days in August. The way they have played since their miracle transformation has indeed been stellar, but before that they were the same old Mets.

If, as looks sadly likely, they send the Cubs home, I will be supporting them in the WS since I've got nothing with KC.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

21 Oct 2015 21:23

As one who listens to NY media, believe me, up until the last week of the season there were plenty of people talking about how the Mets would fail. It must be all the years of misery, coupled with a majority of Yankee fans. That's all I can figure.

I do agree thought that once they got Cespedes, that completely changed everything. All of a sudden, everyone could hit.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re: Major League Baseball

22 Oct 2015 00:00

Geaux Goat!
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

28 Oct 2015 01:29

Way to go FOX Sports for their outage during game 1 of the World Series
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

28 Oct 2015 01:38

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Way to go FOX Sports for their outage during game 1 of the World Series

My stream went down, then came back as MLB International. First inside the park WS homer since 1929.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

28 Oct 2015 14:02

I'd be curious to know what percentage of baseball fans east of the Appalachians (or even Mississippi) stayed up until after 1am to watch the game? Why does MLB insist on having games late at night? Just because of "prime time"? Does prime time extend until long after most people go to bed? I know they didn't anticipate the outage, but games routinely go into extra innings. And if we go back just a few short years to St. Louis in 2011 some of those games were well over four hours as well. So why is MLB insistent on playing the games late at night. And while I'm at it, why is MLB so adverse to day games in the playoffs as well? People adjust, especially in the world of the DVR and live streaming. And with the series now stretching into November, what's the temperature going to be in New York late at night? I'm sure the players, and fans, just love that. It was plenty chilly last night here in CT. And few here in the Northeast will forget Halloween postponed, then canceled three years ago due to snow.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

28 Oct 2015 16:01

I am in the NY Metro area and I fell asleep twice during the extra innings. After the second time, the game was over and ESPN was busy pumping the NBA.
Nick C.

29 Oct 2015 11:49

Does this Royals team remind anyone else of the 2002 Angels, with their relentless at bats?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

31 Oct 2015 14:47

I have to wonder if with the first pitch last night Syndergard saved the Mets, or at least revived them. I imagine a lot of people over the age of about 40 will understand. And many old-school pitchers, along the likes of Nolan Ryan, Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, Roger Clemens, etc. probably looked at it with admiration.

But I'm not so sure such a strategy won't backfire. It may have threw the Royals off their game, but that won't last, will it?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

31 Oct 2015 19:11

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I have to wonder if with the first pitch last night Syndergard saved the Mets, or at least revived them. I imagine a lot of people over the age of about 40 will understand. And many old-school pitchers, along the likes of Nolan Ryan, Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, Roger Clemens, etc. probably looked at it with admiration.

But I'm not so sure such a strategy won't backfire. It may have threw the Royals off their game, but that won't last, will it?

I'm relatively new to my appreciation of baseball and honestly thought the pitch was a case of rookie nerves. But I'm probably wrong.
After watching the Jays lose in six agonizing games, I'm gonna say no--it won't last.
The Royals are relentless at the plate. They're not going to let one errant throw knock them off their game.
Kinda sad to see a former Jays prospect take the mound and throw to another former Jays prospect in game 3 of the World Series.
We gave up both prospects for RA. Sigh.
User avatar the delgados

PreviousNext

Return to General