Log in:  

Register

Snooker

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

28 Apr 2017 21:37

And now Ding made it 12-12 with two brilliant consecutive centuries to finish the 3rd session. Gonna be an absolute thriller tomorrow.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,212
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

28 Apr 2017 21:44

Yes, after the match with Fu I thought there was no way the third session with Ding will end 12 each. But, Ding learnt a lot from the last year's final it appears, and Selby looked nervous during this evening's session.
From the other side looks like Higgins' closer to the final.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

28 Apr 2017 22:59

Ding please... or The Hawk.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

29 Apr 2017 17:11

Selby communicating a lot with his balcony support during the final session.
I'm sorry, but he can't watch the semis, he's playing it.
Should concentrate on himself, it's just a couple of frames left.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

29 Apr 2017 18:11

The Simon Gerrans of snooker seems unstoppable. :)
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

Re:

29 Apr 2017 18:31

Squire wrote:The Simon Gerrans of snooker seems unstoppable. :)

Yes, I get the analogy... But Selby's an exceptional break builder, as well. Just take a look at his closing frames of the match with Fu.

If there's a match player equal to Selby, it's Higgins.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

29 Apr 2017 19:13

Terrible final imo. Moving on.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

Re:

29 Apr 2017 19:22

Dazed and Confused wrote:Terrible final imo. Moving on.

You'll miss history in shaping.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re: Re:

29 Apr 2017 19:39

sir fly wrote:
Squire wrote:The Simon Gerrans of snooker seems unstoppable. :)

Yes, I get the analogy... But Selby's an exceptional break builder, as well. Just take a look at his closing frames of the match with Fu.

If there's a match player equal to Selby, it's Higgins.

It was said rather jokingly. He is obviously one of the greats. And the final could be intense if Higgins brings it. Although I prefer watching O'Sullivan glide around the table playing silky smooth snooker, a proper battle could be good entertainment too.

Maybe Froome would've been a better comparison. It's not pretty, but it's deadly effective and gets the job done. But just like I'm hoping my man Valverde will finally get his Worlds title at some point, I believe Ding deserves a WC win.
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

Re: Re:

29 Apr 2017 22:05

Squire wrote:
sir fly wrote:
Squire wrote:The Simon Gerrans of snooker seems unstoppable. :)

Yes, I get the analogy... But Selby's an exceptional break builder, as well. Just take a look at his closing frames of the match with Fu.

If there's a match player equal to Selby, it's Higgins.

It was said rather jokingly. He is obviously one of the greats. And the final could be intense if Higgins brings it. Although I prefer watching O'Sullivan glide around the table playing silky smooth snooker, a proper battle could be good entertainment too.

Maybe Froome would've been a better comparison. It's not pretty, but it's deadly effective and gets the job done. But just like I'm hoping my man Valverde will finally get his Worlds title at some point, I believe Ding deserves a WC win.

Off course he does.
His mindset is better and better and the skill never was in question. It's just Selby's prime.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

30 Apr 2017 10:38

Damnit, so close for Ding. One long hard-fought frame after another that could go both ways really. But tbh that 26th frame was kind of a game decider, when Ding potted a great long red and then was on a (difficult) green that unluckily touched both jaws of the middle pocket. Selby took the frame, 14-12, and from there on you'd never really had the feeling Ding could turn the table.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,212
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

Re:

30 Apr 2017 13:05

Flamin wrote:Damnit, so close for Ding. One long hard-fought frame after another that could go both ways really. But tbh that 26th frame was kind of a game decider, when Ding potted a great long red and then was on a (difficult) green that unluckily touched both jaws of the middle pocket. Selby took the frame, 14-12, and from there on you'd never really had the feeling Ding could turn the table.

These snooker tables are pretty huge, tbf.
kingjr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,498
Joined: 09 Sep 2012 18:53
Location: Germany

30 Apr 2017 16:24

The final couldn't started better.
Till the mid-session looked like the most fans expected, but afterwards turned to even more exciting side - 6:2 for Higgins.
Should be epic.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

01 May 2017 10:20

Selby being Selby. Even if you lead the final 10-7, he'll make you feel like you've just lost. :lol:
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

01 May 2017 17:01

Selby turned the match around and leads now 13:11.
It was the catch 22 in the afternoon's session. Should Higgins have won that frame, would've been a different score.

Now Higgins should show the match playing excellence.
11 frames more to play...
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

01 May 2017 20:51

I'm tempted to say that this is getting interesting, but it's Mark Selby we're talking about. He's eventually going to win. :(
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

01 May 2017 22:17

Higgins just couldn't bounce back. Maybe was impatient a bit during his last shot, but can't say that shot cost him the title.
Selby becoming one of the game's all-time greats.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re:

01 May 2017 22:31

sir fly wrote:Higgins just couldn't bounce back. Maybe was impatient a bit during his last shot, but can't say that shot cost him the title.
Selby becoming one of the game's all-time greats.

It was great for the match that Higgins managed to mount a mini comeback, and probably good for his mindset going into next season. But Selby was just tougher, as expected.

Speaking of all-time greats, Selby deserves to be in any discussion that doesn't include Hendry, O'Sullivan, Davis and Higgins (John, that is).
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

02 May 2017 12:10

Not a very high-quality final. Higgins positioning when potting was very poor much throughout much of the Selby revival. Had enough chances to finish it off, but just was not up to it. Ding or O'Sullivan would've beaten this Selby.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,124
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: King Boonen and 4 guests

Back to top