Register

Snooker

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Snooker

01 May 2012 14:41

Well, I actually never watched it, but Eurosport broadcasts it and I'm quite bored, so I started to watch it. I actually pretty like it, it's nice to follow and sometimes it's very technical.

Fans here?
User avatar l.Harm

01 May 2012 15:13

Love it.

13th best mountainbiker of the World (2004)
18th best mountainbiker of the World (2005)
Cyclingnews Reader Polls
User avatar boomcie

01 May 2012 20:43

Like it too! Pretty awesome when Ronnie goes clean-table-crazy! :D
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

01 May 2012 22:46

boomcie wrote:Love it.

same

i hope trump takes the worlds this year after losing on the final last year to higgins. higgins is good but just too boring and defensive for my taste.

roonie or hendry taking it would also make me a happy man
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

01 May 2012 22:53

Parrulo wrote:same

i hope trump takes the worlds this year after losing on the final last year to higgins. higgins is good but just too boring and defensive for my taste.

roonie or hendry taking it would also make me a happy man

Trump already lost :o

Had a 11-8 lead but lost 13-12.
User avatar l.Harm

02 May 2012 01:11

I dont really follow it, but maybe after cycling or winter sports when it comes on I'll just sit there and watch, it's more entertaining then I thought.

I watched Ronnie a couple times, he is my favorite (lol at the video where he beats that guy with his opposite hand).

But of course, I'm just a lover of sport in general.
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

02 May 2012 01:14

l.Harm wrote:Trump already lost :o

Had a 11-8 lead but lost 13-12.

seriously. . . .

how did he manage to lose that, i couldn't watch the last session but never thought he would lose with such a comfortable lead. :o
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

02 May 2012 02:14

It´s pretty boring, because the players are too good. Whoever played the game knows how difficult it is. It´s fun to play, at the same time you despair.

This pro players play (the most difficult game i ever tried myself) in perfection. Hats off!

The best ever was Hendry who retired tonight. In the same dominating class like Carl Lewis, Eddy Merckx, Jerry Rice, Babe Ruth, and other greats...
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

02 May 2012 04:36

Sounds like the dominance you see in billiards in the US. Frequently one player goes on a tear and runs the table, often from start to finish. That's how good guys are.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

02 May 2012 09:31

Started a thread about snooker a while ago, but didn't get many responses (http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=7031&highlight=Snooker).

Hopefully this one will be more successful. It's such a fascinating sport, a lot of tactics, skill, nerves involved .... Haven't been watching lately but I saw that it's been on Eurosport again.

I would love to try and play it some day, just for fun. There is a bar here that has a snooker table but haven't gotten around to it yet...
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

02 May 2012 10:24

I'd love to try and play it too!:D But given my "skills" at playing pool I don't think it would go well for me...

[SIZE="1"]Played with my cousin's son a while ago... I was really at potting the white ball! :p[/SIZE]
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

02 May 2012 12:27

Stephen Hendry "the legend" has ended his career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BD_g0PJG-0g#!

great player, always enjoyed watching him play
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

02 May 2012 14:59

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Sounds like the dominance you see in billiards in the US. Frequently one player goes on a tear and runs the table, often from start to finish. That's how good guys are.

I think you talk about Pool here? Snooker is a different level. It´s maybe like going from Kid-Carts to Indy 500. I run the table sometimes at 9-Ball, but do fail more often than not at snooker. Even a straight pot on this 3 1/2 meter long table is a difficult task.

Since i know the snooker game from my own experience, i sometimes wonder how QB´s can miss easy targets (i´ve no problem to hit receivers in strides, but lack arm strength). Snooker players have real true accuracy. It´s just unbelivebale.

RedheadDane wrote:I'd love to try and play it too!:D But given my "skills" at playing pool I don't think it would go well for me...

[SIZE="1"]Played with my cousin's son a while ago... I was really at potting the white ball! :p[/SIZE]

As described above, if you can´t hit balls at a good rate (lets say 7/8 of 10 pot tries) in pool, you´ll be desperate at a snooker table. It looks sooo easy at TV, you´ll get shocked trying yourself.
Veteran

02 May 2012 15:36

yes pool is a kids game compared to snooker, i play pool myself almost every day and i can pretty often clean an entire table without much of a problem but in snooker. . . . . :o

the table is just too big and the balls and holes too small :p
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

02 May 2012 16:17

I've never played snooker, here we had a pool table. I heard a snooker table is longer so harder to pot the ball. Would like to play it in the near future.
User avatar l.Harm

02 May 2012 16:29

Parrulo wrote:yes pool is a kids game compared to snooker, i play pool myself almost every day and i can pretty often clean an entire table without much of a problem but in snooker. . . . . :o

the table is just too big and the balls and holes too small :p

Not bad. I only sometimes clear the table in pool. There´s always a missed pot, the white ball going the wrong place, or just nerves. Anyway, i win a good chunk of my games for money or free drinks. Snooker, i didn´t play a long time. I just fear missing too much and then fall into depressions. ;)

l.Harm wrote:I've never played snooker, here we had a pool table. I heard a snooker table is longer so harder to pot the ball. Would like to play it in the near future.

The biggest problem in snooker is the thiny holes. There is just no room for even small mistakes, especially on the long pots.
Veteran

02 May 2012 17:59

well i don't usually play for money, i usually play with my friends and at the end split the bill so i am under no pressure while playing :p
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

02 May 2012 18:18

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:As described above, if you can´t hit balls at a good rate (lets say 7/8 of 10 pot tries) in pool, you´ll be desperate at a snooker table. It looks sooo easy at TV, you´ll get shocked trying yourself.

I'm afraid my rather... unconventional... way of holding the cue didn't exactly help either. No expert, but I don't think you're suppose to just let it stick weirdly out to the side. :rolleyes:

Parrulo wrote:the table is just too big and the balls and holes too small :p

Yeah... among other things the size of the table would be an issue to me. At 160 cm I'm not even sure I'd be able to reach anything!

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:The biggest problem in snooker is the thiny holes. There is just no room for even small mistakes, especially on the long pots.

But it does look cool when the ball starts dancing around the whole like crazy. :cool:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

02 May 2012 19:10

Parrulo wrote:well i don't usually play for money, i usually play with my friends and at the end split the bill so i am under no pressure while playing :p

Yes pressure is big time too in billards. I am the master of missing the black ball (on normal pool) or the 9-Ball. I always choke under pressure. The same happened to me in my baseball and soccer league play times.

RedheadDane wrote:I'm afraid my rather... unconventional... way of holding the cue didn't exactly help either. No expert, but I don't think you're suppose to just let it stick weirdly out to the side. :rolleyes:

Yeah... among other things the size of the table would be an issue to me. At 160 cm I'm not even sure I'd be able to reach anything!

But it does look cool when the ball starts dancing around the whole like crazy. :cool:

Perfect technique/talent is essential in billards. When i played snooker regulary, i didn´t even try to meet opponents if i didn´t had my "A-Game" in 2 hr. practises before matches.

Anyway, some players had real bad techniques and still performed high class. That must be true talent then. Like this one (Alex Higgins):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6u1uSjEyyU

If you are 1,60, i guess you´re still young. Perfect time to start snooker. I started at age of 16, simply b/c snooker was unknown before in germany.

You can reach all balls with the Rest/Extension/Spider.

No it´s not cool when the ball dances and don´t go in, unless it happens to the opponent. ;)
Veteran

02 May 2012 19:23

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:If you are 1,60, i guess you´re still young. Perfect time to start snooker. I started at age of 16, simply b/c snooker was unknown before in germany.

You can reach all balls with the Rest/Extension/Spider.

No it´s not cool when the ball dances and don´t go in, unless it happens to the opponent. ;)

I'm 24... stopped growing a while ago... And I don't think I'd know how to use those.

It's funny to watch! And sometimes they dance about and go in. Whipe the feet as the main Danish commentator tends to say!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Next

Return to General