Log in:  

Register

Snooker

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

01 May 2016 16:30

In a way, this eighth frame is sort of the deciding one of the match. If Ding wins it he's still in with a good chance. If he loses he's screwed almost for sure.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

Re:

01 May 2016 16:34

Maxiton wrote:Thought Ding was going to cry when he potted the blue in that last frame. Selby has a good head game, too. Instead of trying to snooker him when Ding then missed the pink, he was "magnanimous" and ceded the frame (rather than risk actually contending for the snookers he needed and maybe losing anyway).

Yes, I was wondering if Selby will return at the table. Normally he'd do that, but this time he chose to concede. It's a gent's gesture at the surface, but there's certainly a mind game hidden underneath.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,559
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re: Re:

01 May 2016 16:37

sir fly wrote:
Maxiton wrote:Thought Ding was going to cry when he potted the blue in that last frame. Selby has a good head game, too. Instead of trying to snooker him when Ding then missed the pink, he was "magnanimous" and ceded the frame (rather than risk actually contending for the snookers he needed and maybe losing anyway).

Yes, I was wondering if Selby will return at the table. Normally he'd do that, but this time he chose to concede. It's a gent's gesture at the surface, but there's certainly a mind game hidden underneath.


And Selby's taps on the table are pretty patronizing, too, almost like he's encouraging the efforts of a junior.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

01 May 2016 16:38

I hope things turn around for him and Ding is soon the one tapping the table for his opponent.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

01 May 2016 16:43

I hope the working people of China get infected by mysterious virus Tuesday morning.
A billion is the target of this final.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,559
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

01 May 2016 16:45

Whew! Thank God. The game is still on.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

01 May 2016 16:48

Selby should feel some effects of his semis this evening.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,559
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re:

01 May 2016 16:50

sir fly wrote:Selby should feel some effects of his semis this evening.


Let's hope so. I want to see a contest.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

01 May 2016 17:51

The Jester from Leicester winning the WC and Leicester City winning the BPL within the same week. Would be sick. But I'm still rooting for Ding. I can intellectually appreciate Selby's style, but I just don't enjoy watching it.
User avatar jsem94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,205
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 18:24
Location: Örebro, Sweden

01 May 2016 18:26

27.5% of China's national TV viewing audience watched the final Ding-McManus session

While the 18.5m viewers that stayed up beyond midnight to witness Dennis Taylor sink the final black against Steve Davis remains a record audience for BBC2, around 30m were watching Ding overcome McManus during the middle of the night in China to become the country's first finalist at the Crucible Theatre.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

Re:

01 May 2016 18:32

jsem94 wrote:The Jester from Leicester winning the WC and Leicester City winning the BPL within the same week. Would be sick. But I'm still rooting for Ding. I can intellectually appreciate Selby's style, but I just don't enjoy watching it.


I run hot and cold on him. On the one hand I admire his combativeness and focus, but on the other he reminds me of an overly-aggressive, overbearing guy I used to work with. Not his fault, I suppose. :p

Edit: One thing I noticed about him last night, though, is a kind of brooding quality, which indicates to me that he has some depth. I saw it again just now after he lost that last frame.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

02 May 2016 15:08

Ding looking better now.
But Selby is the best back runner (if it comes to that), and Ding has shown huge mental fragility, so the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,559
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re:

02 May 2016 15:16

sir fly wrote:Ding looking better now.
But Selby is the best back runner (if it comes to that), and Ding has shown huge mental fragility, so the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match.


Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match"?
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

Re: Re:

02 May 2016 15:23

Maxiton wrote:
sir fly wrote:Ding looking better now.
But Selby is the best back runner (if it comes to that), and Ding has shown huge mental fragility, so the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match.


Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match"?

If Ding comes close to winning the whole thing, he'll certainly get nervous, start making mistakes, just like he did at the beginning of the match, and just like we've seen with many players - the fear of success. It happens when their estimate of the prize is higher than their self esteem.
The significance of the title is affecting Ding enormously.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,559
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re: Re:

02 May 2016 15:29

sir fly wrote:
Maxiton wrote:
sir fly wrote:Ding looking better now.
But Selby is the best back runner (if it comes to that), and Ding has shown huge mental fragility, so the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match.


Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match"?

If Ding comes close to winning the whole thing, he'll certainly get nervous, start making mistakes, just like he did at the beginning of the match, and just like we've seen with many players - the fear of success. It happens when their estimate of the prize is higher than their self esteem.
The significance of the title is affecting Ding enormously.


Now I understand. Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it's up to each competitor to solve that conundrum if they face it, and win, or not solve it and lose.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

Re: Re:

02 May 2016 15:41

Maxiton wrote:
sir fly wrote:
Maxiton wrote:
sir fly wrote:Ding looking better now.
But Selby is the best back runner (if it comes to that), and Ding has shown huge mental fragility, so the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match.


Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the fear of success is inevitable having seen how he's started the match"?

If Ding comes close to winning the whole thing, he'll certainly get nervous, start making mistakes, just like he did at the beginning of the match, and just like we've seen with many players - the fear of success. It happens when their estimate of the prize is higher than their self esteem.
The significance of the title is affecting Ding enormously.


Now I understand. Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it's up to each competitor to solve that conundrum if they face it, and win, or not solve it and lose.

One fact playing into Ding's hands is the match is so long allowing him to get accustomed. The way he's spending the time between the sessions is vital for his mindset.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,559
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

02 May 2016 15:52

Ding is done. Selby has got to be like 90% to win from here.
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,184
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 00:06
Location: Now here

Re:

02 May 2016 16:07

SeriousSam wrote:Ding is done. Selby has got to be like 90% to win from here.


Tempting to think that, but it might be overstating it. We saw what Ding is capable of in the first session against McManus, when he ran five straight frames in succession with McManus barely up off his chair. Not to mention seven centuries in the match.

A few mistakes from Selby, a kick or two, and Ding coming into form - things could turn around yet. He's only three frames back.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

02 May 2016 16:51

Ding had a chance to come to just one behind before the final session, but just wasn't collected enough.
I'll try to look optimistically at the coming session and say that Ding needs less frames to catch Selby than Selby needs to win the title.
User avatar sir fly
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,559
Joined: 24 Feb 2014 16:04
Location: 011

Re:

02 May 2016 17:37

sir fly wrote:Ding had a chance to come to just one behind before the final session, but just wasn't collected enough.
I'll try to look optimistically at the coming session and say that Ding needs less frames to catch Selby than Selby needs to win the title.


That is a good way to look at it. I have to admit, though, unless something changes Ding's prospects aren't good. By my reckoning he's had several lucky opportunities in every frame he's lost, and failed to capitalize. And the score reflects it. The final outcome will likely reflect it, too.
2016: Year of the Red Fire Monkey
User avatar Maxiton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,833
Joined: 14 May 2010 15:24
Location: Northern California

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Back to top