Register

Anyone else thinks "The Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy is awful?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

10 May 2012 12:47

No Feist TLR.. Will get to it hopefully? The inheritance trilogy was one of the 1st books I read on iPad though.
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964

10 May 2012 13:09

Game of thrones is epic stuff. Hope to read this soon.

Spider1964 wrote:No Feist TLR.. Will get to it hopefully? The inheritance trilogy was one of the 1st books I read on iPad though.

I unfortunately saw the first hour of eragon and was convinced it was the worst thing I had ever seen and turned it off. Not sure I could read the books after this experience :o

Feist books are my favorite to be honest. Loved them.
I recommend them :)
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

10 May 2012 13:32

LotR movie trilogy has:
- Elves straight out of Nuremberg in 1936
- Balding Elrond
- Skating Legolas
- Stupid Army of Ghosts
- Gimli the Comic Relief
- Ridiculous tactics (hey all cav form up and charge right at those humongous mûmakil)
- A winged balrog (I'm firmly in the no wings camp)
- Not nearly enough Sindarin
- Frodo telling Sam to **** off... AND SAM DOING IT
- Elves at Helm's Deep
- Retarded Spotlight Sauron
- Renaissance Italy armour
- Ruined Denethor
- Not nearly enough Old English
- Ridiculous Uruk-hai breeding
- Tiresome Treebeard

I could go on, I guess.

By the way, a few of these are actually very serious issues.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

10 May 2012 13:32

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:Game of thrones is epic stuff. Hope to read this soon.

I unfortunately saw the first hour of eragon and was convinced it was the worst thing I had ever seen and turned it off. Not sure I could read the books after this experience :o

Feist books are my favorite to be honest. Loved them.
I recommend them :)

Feist it is then. Recommendation appreciated.
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964

10 May 2012 13:40

Movies are ok.

Could never get into the book despite trying multiple times. Tolkienesque fantasy does nothing for me.
Ferminal
Veteran

10 May 2012 13:58

Even if the premise is stolen from Wagner, i love the dialogue, the way they speak and also the setting. it doesn't have the best twists and the plot is simple, but when mixed with the setting, the political situation and the dialogue it is very good.

it also doesn't really have larger than life charcters which is good. No character has the ability to control the plot on their own apart from the smallest ones, which is very nicely done and very impressive as it is a lot more difficult to write a book where various actors are dependent on eachother.

Lotr is cool and will forever be the king of its genre.

I think haters and fans should unite against the legitimate target of poor overrated fantasy books.

Im talking about that series of early learners books aimed at 5 year olds, that has sadly become the opiate of the masses over the last decade.

I preferred religion.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

silly me

10 May 2012 14:01

boomcie wrote:The whole story is super boring and makes no sense whatsoever most of the time. Absolute stinker.

Here I thought all the TROLLS were killed off by the end of movie #3, which came out in 2003 Fergodsake! Been lurking under a bridge for 9 years? Weak, very very weak.

Its easy to understand how a pubescent girl couldn't see the life and death struggle between good and evil and the eminent destruction of the world order in the original books. Couldn't get past the cute hobbitsies, and elves and wizards. The death of children, friends and comrads; children desperate to earn a father's love. These are dark things, and the battle of good and evil is violent. Not children's literature. More of a blood and guts Norse Saga.
User avatar rickshaw

10 May 2012 14:04

The Hitch wrote:Even if the premise is stolen from Wagner.

Lolqué[color="White"].........[/color]
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

10 May 2012 14:08

rickshaw wrote:Here I thought all the TROLLS were killed off by the end of movie #3, which came out in 2003 Fergodsake! Been lurking under a bridge for 9 years? Weak, very very weak.

Something tells me you are addressing me here. What's the prob?
Signed,

13th best mountainbiker of the World (2004)
18th best mountainbiker of the World (2005)
Cyclingnews Reader Polls
User avatar boomcie

10 May 2012 14:10

hrotha wrote:Lolqué[color="White"].........[/color]

I'm guessing he's referring to Der Ring des Nibelungen.
Signed,

Cyclingnews Reader Polls
User avatar boomcie

10 May 2012 14:42

The Hitch wrote:Im talking about that series of early learners books aimed at 5 year olds, that has sadly become the opiate of the masses over the last decade.

I preferred religion.

oh dear that was pathetic :o
User avatar Machu Picchu

10 May 2012 14:48

The Hitch wrote:Even if the premise is stolen from Wagner, i love the dialogue, the way they speak and also the setting. it doesn't have the best twists and the plot is simple, but when mixed with the setting, the political situation and the dialogue it is very good.

it also doesn't really have larger than life charcters which is good. No character has the ability to control the plot on their own apart from the smallest ones, which is very nicely done and very impressive as it is a lot more difficult to write a book where various actors are dependent on eachother.

Lotr is cool and will forever be the king of its genre.

I think haters and fans should unite against the legitimate target of poor overrated fantasy books.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Setting and context in the movies were excellent IMO.
RIP Craig, you'll be missed friend.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

10 May 2012 15:56

For the record, I also hated Titanic. Beautiful love story? The only thing I remember is sitting there at the end: oh look, someone is dying. And another. Oops, another one is drowning. And there goes somebody else........

All the rest of the movie bored me to pieces.

Susan
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

10 May 2012 16:14

Susan Westemeyer wrote:For the record, I also hated Titanic. Beautiful love story? The only thing I remember is sitting there at the end: oh look, someone is dying. And another. Oops, another one is drowning. And there goes somebody else........

Susan

I actually laughed out loud when the lead actress was laying, freezing on make-shift raft barely able to yell "Jack.... Jack...... Jack....":)

All in all, it was awful.
Scott SoCal

10 May 2012 18:11

I like the books. Initially I liked the movies, but over time I have become more and more disappointed with the films to the point that I do not care to watch them anymore. Visually they look great. Aside from the visuals, I think the films are at best a workman-like effort. Great scenes or great dialog make a good film, and it is amazing that throughout the zillion hour running time of the trilogy there is barely anything memorable. There are several cringeworthy moments, places where the dialog, even though it is sometimes taken directly from the books, does not work in film for a modern audience.

Peter Jackson is not a good director. He was not very experienced either. I get the feeling that he was overwhelmed with the size of the project. The best that he could do was move the story from point A to point B. His two writers are terrible. There are scenese that are handled hamhandedly. Others are overdone. Even little things have come to annoy me, like the overly loud sound of Denethor chewing while Faramir is riding out. There is no subtlety. The audience is treated as though it needs a point hammered home again and again.

All the flaws in LotR can be seen in King Kong, which was directed and written by the same people. While visually interesting, it was subpar story telling. There are scenes like the dinosaur chase that are overdone to the point of ridiculousness. Making it worse was the story is shopworn. Even if you have never seen the original King Kong or the remakes, you still know the story. It is ingrained in popular culture and pops up in parodies on shows like The Simpsons. The film trudges on to its predictable conclusion, and overall the film is not satisfying. It is interesting that after LotR, Jackson could have done any project. He could have created something new out of his imaginataion. Instead he chose an effects laden retelling of a tired tale. He might as well have remade It's a Wonderful Life.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

11 May 2012 08:42

Susan Westemeyer wrote:For the record, I also hated Titanic. Beautiful love story? The only thing I remember is sitting there at the end: oh look, someone is dying. And another. Oops, another one is drowning. And there goes somebody else........

Susan

Absolutely terrible movie indeed. No genuine emotion whatsoever and sub par straight-to-dvd scenario.

Still regret seeing it.
Signed,

Cyclingnews Reader Polls
User avatar boomcie

11 May 2012 09:12

I love it and i love fantasy films as i also love this "fantasy forum".
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

11 May 2012 09:17

Zam_Olyas wrote:I love it and i love fantasy films as i also love this "fantasy forum".

Well played. Nice jab.
Signed,

Cyclingnews Reader Polls
User avatar boomcie

11 May 2012 09:20

Never watched any of the LOTR movies. Never watched Titanic either. Or Braveheart. Can’t stand those “epic” movies. Prefer 80’s comedies with Chevy Chase in them :)
kanari

11 May 2012 09:32

LOTR, the film trilogy, is OK. The production seems to overshadow everything. When the production epic does not dominate, the films seem like an endless soap opera. The Gollum always whispering is so annoying and hard to understand. It is all best summed up as "The Days of Our Lives As the World Turns in Middle Earth." I do like some of the battle scenes and the acrobatics and sword play. But, the films ultimately are dragging.
User avatar lactictac

PreviousNext

Return to General