Register

Anyone else thinks "The Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy is awful?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

11 May 2012 09:44

Saw the first one and thought "there's 3 hours of my life that I'm never going to get back". Didn't bother with the others.

Never saw Titanic but thought I was the only person in the world who hadn't - I'm pleased to know that I'm not.

Harry Potter films - not quite as bad as LOTR, but not far behind. I could only get through the first one of those as well.
Llewellyn

11 May 2012 09:45

I forgot the LotR movie trilogy also has:
- Aragorn decapitating a diplomat during parley
- The diplomat himself being ridiculous

The hell was that.

But what can you expect when you know Jackson initially intended Aragorn to duel Sauron.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

11 May 2012 10:03

One of my major complaints was the differences from the books. Don't care for that sort of thing at all.

Susan
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

11 May 2012 10:08

3 of the greatest movies ever made, along with 3 of the best books ever written. The fact the Jackson tried to take on the franchise and did it great was impressive. Millions of people were waiting to dissect every line of the movies. My only little complaint of the movies were, they never let the viewer see how powerful Gandolf really was, even in his limited form he arrived in Middle Earth in, during the books. The books spawned an industry, D&D, WoW, Ultima series...the list goes on.

I had waited for the movies for years, and finally the CGI was up to par with extreme detail that Tolkein wrote his books with.
mikeNphilly

11 May 2012 10:11

Read the books a long time ago and don't remember much but I do remember that often there were long passages where absolutely nothing was happening or going off into specific details that had little or nothing to do with the general plot. Also there were 5 pages long poems sometimes that I usually skipped. I didn't see all the movies because they were way too long.

What I liked most was the PlayStation2 game "The return of the King", I was never much into gaming but that is one of my favourites. You could choose between the main characters I believe and play through several different stages. You could learn all kinds of cool moves to kill orks which would get you extra points, you had to kill those giant elephants and those evil flying black things. I always chose Aragorn, he was the coolest.

The funniest things about Lord of the Rings were the parodies. There was a german one called "Lord of the Weed", where they constructed a whole plot about Bilbo being a drug dealer and so on and cut to all the scenes where they were smoking pipes (which was a lot apparently). Me and my friends were really into that, I could recite most of the dialogues by heart (it was only 20 minutes long). They were going to do a second one but I think it was never made ;(

Then of course the South Park episode where the kids find a p0rn video and go on a quest to return it to the store and B*tters turns into Gollum :D
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

11 May 2012 10:26

Susan Westemeyer wrote:One of my major complaints was the differences from the books. Don't care for that sort of thing at all.

Susan

I don't mind making sensible changes to adapt the story to what after all is a very different medium. But changes that betray the spirit of the original are a no no, and in that regard the worst one is when Frodo tells Sam to leave and Sam complies.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

12 May 2012 05:15

I didn't read the books, and am sort of in the middle on the films. They sure looked gorgeous, and the battle scenes were epic. But I found the stories uneven, straining at times, with convenient plot shifts at others. Liked the first one the most (though not the ending) and liked third one the least, yet it's the one that somehow won all the Oscars.

Not interested in the Hobbit, which my cousin read to me as a boy. I am really tired of 3D. And hearing about all the other technology they are pouring into it I fear will just be more of the worst parts of the trilogy.

As to Titanic, I kind of liked it. Again, it looked gorgeous and had a grand beauty to it, and I like that Cameron tried to be historically accurate. But the story was straight forward and didn't captivate me that much. Cameron's best film to me is The Abyss. Now that film was inventive, and very dramatic.

Harry Potter. I liked the 1st one okay, and 3rd one (Prisoner of Azerbaijan) a lot. Didn't like the 4th or 5th very much, and gave up after that.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

12 May 2012 05:38

I have read the bookes a few years ago(LOTR), and i still loved the films. yes there are plenty of plot holes and silly mistakes but i have learned to live with them.

I am also a big star wars fan( which i have also seen being criticized here)

both worlds are the creation of brilliant minds, George lucas even created an entire story that goes from thousands of years before the story of the movies to thousands of years after.

Llewellyn wrote:Saw the first one and thought "there's 3 hours of my life that I'm never going to get back". Didn't bother with the others.

Never saw Titanic but thought I was the only person in the world who hadn't - I'm pleased to know that I'm not.

Harry Potter films - not quite as bad as LOTR, but not far behind. I could only get through the first one of those as well.

i used to be and still sort of am a gigantic fan of the harry potter books, the movies are just god awful, but somethings on the book really annoyed me over time. After 7 books of harry being an underdog becomes boring, teach the kid some proper magic, and killing off voldemort with an expeliarmus is the weakest end to a saga i have ever seen.
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

12 May 2012 05:51

Parrulo wrote:I am also a big star wars fan( which i have also seen being criticized here)

both worlds are the creation of brilliant minds, George lucas even created an entire story that goes from thousands of years before the story of the movies to thousands of years after.

Brilliant? Are you kidding me. Lucas is a hack who got lucky...once. If you want to see the true level of Lucas' "brilliance" then watch the steaming piles that are the prequels.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

12 May 2012 06:36

BroDeal wrote:Brilliant? Are you kidding me. Lucas is a hack who got lucky...once. If you want to see the true level of Lucas' "brilliance" then watch the steaming piles that are the prequels.

What? American Graffiti is a masterpiece. He didn't just get lucky. He's good.

But I agree with you about the steaming piles of prequels.
User avatar MarkvW
Veteran

12 May 2012 06:54

meat puppet wrote:The book too. Dull christian eschatological mambo dressed in robes and pixie ears.

Have to agree, and over-written. Plus it became the stuff of black-shirts (fascist) revival in the 60's-70's in Europe. They just love a simplified world, absolute good vs. ultimate evil. Puerile and not nuanced.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

12 May 2012 07:11

MarkvW wrote:What? American Graffiti is a masterpiece. He didn't just get lucky. He's good.

But I agree with you about the steaming piles of prequels.

American Grafitti was released in 1973. Star Wars in 1977.

Got anything in the last 35 years?

The person who deserves credit for Lucas' early work is his first wife, who edited Star Wars and won an Academy Award for it. She is the one who kept the stupidity in check.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

12 May 2012 09:13

It's widely known that Lucas loves himself too much to judge his own ideas. I can only recommend the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequel trilogy, which not only are hilarious, but make a damn fine job of disecting the movies and Lucas himself.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

12 May 2012 12:08

Harry Potter ... the books changed so much throughout the series that it's difficult to compare them but overall I liked them all.

As for the movies I hated the first ones and gave up halfway through, then started watching them again from the 5th one on. My favourites would be 6 and both 7's, even though they changed a lot and added random stuff that was never in the movies. In 6 I thought the opening scene in the subway was pretty cool but I can see how that may p*ss off the purists. Same with that chase in the field around the Weasley's house (I think it was also in 6 or 7a), wasn't in the books but nice touch. Same with the dancing scene between Harry and Hermione in the tent in 7b. The ending of 7b could have maybe been more like the ending in the books but I didn't mind so much either.

Plus that was the first movie in 3D where I thought it was really well made and added to the experience. I remember when they are in Gringotts and you get the view from under the Invisibility Cloak, that was pretty cool!

Parrulo wrote:killing off voldemort with an expeliarmus is the weakest end to a saga i have ever seen.

Yes that was a bit odd but everything preceding that was pretty brilliant IMO (going out to die, parents coming back from the dead, being in "heaven"...) BTW do you have a theory on what the repulsing creature under the bench (in "heaven") was supposed to represent? I could never figure it out!

User avatar Christian
Veteran

12 May 2012 12:51

Christian wrote:Yes that was a bit odd but everything preceding that was pretty brilliant IMO (going out to die, parents coming back from the dead, being in "heaven"...) BTW do you have a theory on what the repulsing creature under the bench (in "heaven") was supposed to represent? I could never figure it out!

it wasn't heaven, it was the lymbo. J.K. Rownling said that horcruxe users while they still had active horcruxes around wouldn't go to hell/heaven but would just get stuck in lymbo until the horcruxe worked and got him back to life, so that creature was voldmort( or rather a piece of his soul) waiting to return to life.
User avatar Parrulo
Veteran

12 May 2012 13:01

Parrulo wrote:it wasn't heaven, it was the lymbo. J.K. Rownling said that horcruxe users while they still had active horcruxes around wouldn't go to hell/heaven but would just get stuck in lymbo until the horcruxe worked and got him back to life, so that creature was voldmort( or rather a piece of his soul) waiting to return to life.

Yeah I figured it wasn't heaven, I just called it that for lack of a better term! But this makes sense, thx for clearing that up for me

User avatar Christian
Veteran

12 May 2012 16:57

“A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The first bad penny dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy's eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.

'I would love you to do something for me,' I said.

'Anything! Anything!' the boy said rapturously.

'You won't like what I'm going to ask you to do,' I said.

'Anything, sir, anything!'

'Well,' I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?'

He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. 'What a dreadful thing to say to a child!' she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.”

Sir Alec Guinness, in 1997.
Echoes

12 May 2012 18:14

Ah, consensus. :cool:

My sister bought me the trilogy DVD set several years ago. I finally got around watching the first a couple of months ago. I thought it was terrible but I went ahead and started watching the second one because all I heard about was how good the movies were. I made it halfway through the second one and shut if off.

I thought they were the most boring and stupid movies vs their hype I have ever seen. The Godfather IMO is not far behind in terms of me not buying the hype. I haven't seen the other ones but I hear they are better.
"He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife." - Al Czervik
User avatar ChrisE

12 May 2012 18:27

Parrulo wrote:it wasn't heaven, it was the lymbo. J.K. Rownling said that horcruxe users while they still had active horcruxes around wouldn't go to hell/heaven but would just get stuck in lymbo until the horcruxe worked and got him back to life, so that creature was voldmort( or rather a piece of his soul) waiting to return to life.

So was there a god in that universe? As a child i read the first few books and don't remember one, but then, he had a godfather so
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

12 May 2012 23:56

As to Star Wars, like others I loved the 1st as a youth, and Empire Strikes Back was a very powerful film (thank you Leigh Brackett, Lawerence Kasdan and Irvin Kirshner), parts of Jedi as well (thanks again Kasdan, and Richard Marquand). But Lucas best films are American Graffiti and THX1138. The prequels were God awful bad. The last one most of all. Just cringe worthy bad. Lucas long ago went over to the dark side.

The only explanation I have heard that makes sense is that the real George Lucas was kidnapped sometime after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (3rd film) and an importer has taken his place, producing the prequels and Indiana Jones Crystal Skull.

This short film explains the theory very well.

;)
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General