Register

Jubilee

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Jubilee

03 Jun 2012 19:27

I want to congratulate the British for putting on a fantastic and unforgettable show on the Thames for the Queen's Jubilee. I've never seen anything like it. As for both the Queen and Prince Phillip to remain standing for one and a half hours in the cold as they did at their age, chapeau.
User avatar pugdog

03 Jun 2012 22:21

Looked kind of like a bunch of boats floating down the river in the rain. But I agree with you about the old girl standing up and waving for that long.
User avatar pedaling squares

04 Jun 2012 09:58

And we get an extra day off work tomorrow!! Beer is going in the fridge right now! :D
jamiephillips

04 Jun 2012 10:48

I saw this funny comment " they are a family of unemployed immigrants living on benefits"..which cause a fair bit of exchanges lol
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

04 Jun 2012 11:23

Have done my best to avoid anything to do with these sickening celebrations.
User avatar Caruut

04 Jun 2012 17:50

Oh... that Jubilee! :rolleyes: I was wondering what one of the people on another forum meant when she mentioned The Jubilee... :p

Congrats to Lizzie! :D

[SIZE="1"]Yeah... I totally just called the Queen of GB 'Lizzie'!:cool:[/SIZE]
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

04 Jun 2012 17:57

I hope she outlives chuckie
User avatar Boeing

04 Jun 2012 19:55

Caruut wrote:Have done my best to avoid anything to do with these sickening celebrations.

Lighten up dear.

If it makes you feel any better, the royal family pay 8x the tax they receive back, so they're subsidising the rest of us, even before the usual boring chicken and egg argument about tourism.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

04 Jun 2012 20:46

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Lighten up dear.

If it makes you feel any better, the royal family pay 8x the tax they receive back, so they're subsidising the rest of us, even before the usual boring chicken and egg argument about tourism.

^o^ nice bit of flag waving there troll
User avatar Machu Picchu

04 Jun 2012 20:49

Machu Picchu wrote:^o^ nice bit of flag waving there troll

Lots of bitter people on this thread.

I personally pay far more in the communal pot than I take out, but I tend to assume these boards are populated by students relying on the munificence of tax payers like Her Majesty and myself.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

04 Jun 2012 21:01

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Lots of bitter people on this thread.

I personally pay far more in the communal pot than I take out, but I tend to assume these boards are populated by students relying on the munificence of tax payers like Her Majesty and myself.

I wouldn't say your bitter (well, maybe about students) just misinformed, 0/2 so far in this thread ;)
User avatar Machu Picchu

04 Jun 2012 21:04

Machu Picchu wrote:I wouldn't say your bitter (well, maybe about students) just misinformed, 0/2 so far in this thread ;)

I will admit, after double checking the crown estates revenues, and the civil list, I significantly understated the contribution, but one should never overstate ones case.

As for students, it would be rude not to be bitter about people having the time of their lives and generally not realising it at the time.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

04 Jun 2012 21:45

Been a bloody good show the whole thing and I take my hat off to the Queen, never cease to be impressed by her.

Anybody, or system which keeps away from more politicians, more powerful politicians and endless sleaze ridden campaigns is fine by me.
Gubby Allen

05 Jun 2012 07:31

I don't oppose to the royal family on a purely monetary grounds, though. Even if that's true, if they're contributing more in tax than we give them, then why the hell are we giving them anything anyway? Where did you get this figure from anyway? Never heard it brandished by a royal apologist before. I just don't agree with the idea that anyone is in any way above anyone else. At least politicians can be got rid of - once Charles gets into power he's going to make the assorted crooks of Westminster look like saints.
User avatar Caruut

05 Jun 2012 15:25

Caruut wrote:I don't oppose to the royal family on a purely monetary grounds, though. Even if that's true, if they're contributing more in tax than we give them, then why the hell are we giving them anything anyway? Where did you get this figure from anyway? Never heard it brandished by a royal apologist before. I just don't agree with the idea that anyone is in any way above anyone else. At least politicians can be got rid of - once Charles gets into power he's going to make the assorted crooks of Westminster look like saints.

What on earth has Charles done to merit such criticism? The crooks of Westminister have amply demonstrated that they deserve the monicker 'crooks', but I don't see where Prince Charles comes even close.
User avatar pugdog

05 Jun 2012 19:37

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Lots of bitter people on this thread.

I'd venture a guess that English Bob is your alltime favorite movie character ;)
[SIZE="2"]El Rey[/SIZE]
User avatar nvpacchi

05 Jun 2012 21:00

Caruut wrote:I don't oppose to the royal family on a purely monetary grounds, though. Even if that's true, if they're contributing more in tax than we give them, then why the hell are we giving them anything anyway? Where did you get this figure from anyway? Never heard it brandished by a royal apologist before. I just don't agree with the idea that anyone is in any way above anyone else. At least politicians can be got rid of - once Charles gets into power he's going to make the assorted crooks of Westminster look like saints.

Whilst you were worrying on their behalf, the downtrodden of this country have had a wonderful time along with everyone else.

Purely as an aside, when someone pays a 100% tax and gets a tiny rebate, you are not giving them a penny, although I quite understand why mentally stunted marxists (not you) will be very upset at the idea that they are.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

05 Jun 2012 23:45

pugdog wrote:What on earth has Charles done to merit such criticism? The crooks of Westminister have amply demonstrated that they deserve the monicker 'crooks', but I don't see where Prince Charles comes even close.

He's not a crook, he's just an ignorant, self-important fool. While Elizabeth II is commendable for her neutrality and desire to stay out of politics, Charles is the opposite of what a good figurehead monarch (or monarch to be) should behave like. He is all too keen to stick his nose in and project his opinion onto the nation, and has been known to try and get the government to change legislation. That is completely unacceptable to me - if the head of government is going to interfere, I want to be able to vote them out.
User avatar Caruut

Return to General