Register

Music! What are you listening to now?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Feb 2019 02:08

aphronesis
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 Feb 2019 02:18

the delgados wrote:

Libertine keeps on comin with the hits.
I adore this band. This record is amazing. Thanks for reminding me of its existence; it has been a long time since listening to it.

They were amazing live. Worth recalling how they transformed this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zYj5WS3vntA
aphronesis
Veteran

Re: Music! What are you listening to now?

09 Feb 2019 15:21

Never in a million years would I have thought to access the cycling news music archive, but I like.
Ladies and gents, the Wedding Present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoD8GS_iWcA
User avatar the delgados

09 Feb 2019 16:20

User avatar sir fly
Veteran

Re:

09 Feb 2019 17:09

I have seldom been as disappointed as I was when I found out that Kurt Vile is not an absolutely awesome stage name but actually just his actual name.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

09 Feb 2019 21:49

Yeah, it did take a slight revision of expectations.
aphronesis
Veteran

10 Feb 2019 04:37

jmdirt

13 Feb 2019 00:47

aphronesis
Veteran

15 Feb 2019 00:13

Veteran

15 Feb 2019 12:41

Aphronesis:

I know it is blasphemous to say, but aside from a handful of truly awesome music, I have never been a fan of Prince.
Until now, I never heard the song you posted, but I like. To this untrained ear, the track sort of reminded me of Dress Sexy by Bill Callahan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-9fGEgAcY&list=RDpI-9fGEgAcY&start_radio=1

LS:
re--Googoosh.
That track would be the perfect theme song for an Iranian crime fighting tv show starring, say, Chris Elliot.
User avatar the delgados

15 Feb 2019 14:44

I’ve also always been ambivalent about Prince on the whole : I can see and argue everything that people love in him, but not all of it engages me. But I heard that a few times recently and rembered how good that moment was.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

16 Feb 2019 02:55

aphronesis wrote:I’ve also always been ambivalent about Prince on the whole : I can see and argue everything that people love in him, but not all of it engages me. But I heard that a few times recently and rembered how good that moment was.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day. Topic was: Bands you hate but are supposed to love. Main criteria being critical (not commercial) acclaim, and disapproval of choices made by friends whose taste in music you otherwise respect.
I have always wanted to get this off my chest; I think it will be cathartic. Soul cleansing, if you will.
1) Beach Boys
2) David Bowie
3)Elvis Costello
4) The Clash
5) Prince

I feel much better. Thanks for indulging me.
User avatar the delgados

16 Feb 2019 21:31

the delgados wrote:
aphronesis wrote:I’ve also always been ambivalent about Prince on the whole : I can see and argue everything that people love in him, but not all of it engages me. But I heard that a few times recently and rembered how good that moment was.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day. Topic was: Bands you hate but are supposed to love. Main criteria being critical (not commercial) acclaim, and disapproval of choices made by friends whose taste in music you otherwise respect.
I have always wanted to get this off my chest; I think it will be cathartic. Soul cleansing, if you will.
1) Beach Boys
2) David Bowie
3)Elvis Costello
4) The Clash
5) Prince

I would totally agree on the Beach Boys, Elvis Costello, but also *gasp* to some degree, Neil Young.

I totally get that they are/were extremely talented musicians in their own right, and that I'm supposed to love them, but for some reason they just never quite hit the spot with me.

And on that note - I must also mention I like Tom Petty's earlier work, but as time went by I just didn't feel him anymore. This one I still like, though.

Tom Petty with Stevie Nicks - "Needles and Pins"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNU5ySctPz4
User avatar Tricycle Rider

16 Feb 2019 22:08

Tricycle Rider
Don't forget Bob *cough* Dylan and The Rolling *cough* Stones. I know, I know. Blasphemy. Sorry.

Rather than get too carried away and turn this into a Music We Are Not Listening To thread, I direct your attention to Solvent. Many people will add it to their quote Not Listening To collection, but I submit Solvent is a truly tremendous electronic music band.
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp1zL0HXCdQ&list=PLCC57DACB9D494223
User avatar the delgados

16 Feb 2019 22:28

the delgados wrote:Tricycle Rider
Don't forget Bob *cough* Dylan and The Rolling *cough* Stones. I know, I know. Blasphemy. Sorry.

Rather than get too carried away and turn this into a Music We Are Not Listening To thread, I direct your attention to Solvent. Many people will add it to their quote Not Listening To collection, but I submit Solvent is a truly tremendous electronic music band.
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp1zL0HXCdQ&list=PLCC57DACB9D494223
Dylan is a hit and miss with me, but ultimately, I think what we are asked to do, as people who appreciate music, is simply to respect the musicians who came before us because they had some kind of an input into what we may now call music. We don't necessarily have to love them. (Not loving all this autotune the kids are into these days, btw., but that's a bedtime story for another night.)

Will listen to your link shortly. (After the cat I'm currently babysitting is done rocking out to the early Tom Petty.)

16 Feb 2019 22:34

There is a ton of music from that era and before that is outstanding. Velvet Underground is one that immediately comes to mind. There are tons more in different genres that goes back decades that I love . Patsy Cline comes to mind. Some blues that dates back almost a century is stunningly beautiful.

The Solvent track I posted dates back to the early aughts. Which, as the kids would say, is a lifetime ago.
User avatar the delgados

16 Feb 2019 22:50

Very rave-like, if it had a bit more bass it would take me back to my days of dancing acid house.

I like it, nonetheless. (If only the old body could dance/move still so fast anymore!)

16 Feb 2019 22:59

the delgados wrote:

1) Beach Boys
2) David Bowie
3)Elvis Costello
4) The Clash
5) Prince

I prefer hard rock/metal. Black Sabbath was the first band to blow me away. (in the '70s). If you are a fan of rock, you are supposed to love the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, but I dislike the Beatles and can only tolerate some Zep.

I think I recommended this in the movie thread, but the Ginger Baker documentary: "Beware of Mr. Baker" is worth watching. You can stream it from several sources or try this YouTube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7h8CqYXEx0
jmdirt

16 Feb 2019 23:07

Sabbath is the only thing from that era I’d still put on.

In terms of that discussio, when Bowie died, I heard tributes for a week and was astonished at the range beyond the 15 or so AOR staples. Plus there was the Iggy Pop material. And it was interesting how many friends told me how much he had meant to their lives.

I think Neil Young is similarly important for his influence on so many different bands across genres.
aphronesis
Veteran

16 Feb 2019 23:29

The ones I'm supposed to love but really don't get are The Ramones, Rush, The Libertines (yes, really), and any Fleetwood Mac that doesn't have Peter Green in it.

The Beach Boys, Prince and Neil Young are all awesome, though I freely accept that the latter has made some tosh in his time. But when he's on it, he's incredible. Tonight's The Night / On The Beach era is just too good.
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General