Log in:  

Register

Crazy MMA Fight

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Crazy MMA Fight

14 Aug 2012 16:23

JP Joubert suffered a fractured skull in an MMA fight, then...came back to knock out his opponent. I'm not an MMA guy for the most part, but this is astounding. Link to article.

Image
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,219
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

14 Aug 2012 17:18

Good fight.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,174
Joined: 30 Sep 2011 10:17
Location: Rubber Plantation.

14 Aug 2012 18:03

Good Lord! This bs should be outlawed. The guy wins the fight because he didn't have enough grey matter to do damage to? Whatever...effing bs Neanderthal stupidity.
User avatar Jeremiah
Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: 19 May 2012 04:42
Location: Undisclosed

14 Aug 2012 18:35

Jeremiah wrote:Good Lord! This bs should be outlawed. The guy wins the fight because he didn't have enough grey matter to do damage to? Whatever...effing bs Neanderthal stupidity.


Most athletes qualify as jocks and are none-too-bright. Of course, exceptions exist. But this is an open-fighting sport, a mixture of the martial arts and can be devastating. Because the man pulled through a serious injury and continnued and won, he is to be credited, not mocked. How many of us cyclists, our friends, the semi and pros we watch, how many crash but just wany to get up and ride on? Are they who persevere to be berated? I don't know the fx/ed fighter here but he is one hell of an athlete. I go to perhaps Dr. Hawking or Joseph Campbell for brain power, not to MMA. MMA? Expect bashing, blood and shudders.
User avatar lactictac
Junior Member
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 23 Feb 2012 17:31

14 Aug 2012 21:41

A good athlete? More likely he was on enough 'roids to power thru any damage, such as he suffered. I apologize, knowing that comment belongs in the Clinic, but it needs to be noted.

Body damage can be a funny thing - sometimes people can do strange things - continuing to function in spite of damage. Personally - I don't think this is as much laudable for the fighter as I think it condemns the ref and the ring-side doc. The fight shoulda been stopped. I don't care who won in the end.

BTW, I like watching the fights. Generally speaking, imo, and backed up by stats, boxing is safer than football and basketball. MMA, is a different story, but is a ton of fun to watch (how about that Rhonda Rousey!?). But they have some big issues to deal with. But, since they are so entertainment oriented - like pro wrestling - they may never deal with them.
User avatar hiero2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,659
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 19:03
Location: In Descartes' reality

15 Aug 2012 07:16

lactictac wrote:Most athletes qualify as jocks and are none-too-bright. Of course, exceptions exist. But this is an open-fighting sport, a mixture of the martial arts and can be devastating. Because the man pulled through a serious injury and continnued and won, he is to be credited, not mocked. How many of us cyclists, our friends, the semi and pros we watch, how many crash but just wany to get up and ride on? Are they who persevere to be berated? I don't know the fx/ed fighter here but he is one hell of an athlete. I go to perhaps Dr. Hawking or Joseph Campbell for brain power, not to MMA. MMA? Expect bashing, blood and shudders.


Human cockfighting. Period.
User avatar Jeremiah
Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: 19 May 2012 04:42
Location: Undisclosed

15 Aug 2012 08:14

I didn't realise cocks chose to fight.
Ferminal
Veteran
 
Posts: 17,004
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

15 Aug 2012 15:51

When the UFC got started it was little more than human **** fighting (if voluntary). But I think they've since done a pretty good job of cleaning the sport up, with many more realistic rules in place, and actual trained athletes competing. It still has a bit to go as a sport, but I think that has mostly to do with what Hiero2 said about the ref and ringside doc in this case not paying close enough attention.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,219
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

15 Aug 2012 17:55

MMA athletes make a choice to fight and are not pit dogs or roosters.

And steroids? OK, this is way off topic. And presumptive. However, if you, I … if anyone of us took steroids, could we then go into the cage with one of these fighters and win? No! These guys have talent, specifics skills, general training and much experience too. We all of us would not win … or worse.

Obviously some posters here dislike MMA and combative sports in general. Don’t watch and maybe don’t participate in MMA discussions. I know people who view cycling as a boring bike ride among gay twinkies. Presumptively wrong, and don’t watch cycling if it offends. And maybe curb your participation in cycling cites.
User avatar lactictac
Junior Member
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 23 Feb 2012 17:31

22 Aug 2012 03:04

hiero2 wrote:
BTW, I like watching the fights. Generally speaking, imo, and backed up by stats, boxing is safer than football and basketball.


Lol, what? What's the worst that can happen to a basketball player, twisted ankle?
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude
Member
 
Posts: 738
Joined: 11 Oct 2010 17:12

22 Aug 2012 19:34

Alpe d'Huez wrote:When the UFC got started it was little more than human **** fighting (if voluntary). But I think they've since done a pretty good job of cleaning the sport up, with many more realistic rules in place, and actual trained athletes competing. It still has a bit to go as a sport, but I think that has mostly to do with what Hiero2 said about the ref and ringside doc in this case not paying close enough attention.


Have you seen the first 5-10 episodes? There were some truly epic battles - back before weight divisions were implemented, and striking zones. Massive sumo-sized guys who can't get up, being hammered in the nether region by smaller but more nimble guy stands out from memory. Entertainment like a car crash that makes you cringe but you can't look away.

There's a travesty of a match where one fighter pinned the other to the cage wall by lacing their fingers through the links and holding on in each round. Ridiculous. Really reinforces why they have some of the rules they do. And makes the UCI "rulebook" look ridiculous by comparison with its lack of reason and rhyme.

Great to see Joe Rogan evolve from the enthusiastic kid to who you see now - a very stable sport from the presenter perspective, and the quality of match reporting, interviews and pre-match analysis is solid.

omg. I sound like a fan :D
the big ring
Member
 
Posts: 1,758
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 15:39

22 Aug 2012 20:02

lactictac wrote:MMA athletes make a choice to fight and are not pit dogs or roosters.

And steroids? OK, this is way off topic. And presumptive. However, if you, I … if anyone of us took steroids, could we then go into the cage with one of these fighters and win? No! These guys have talent, specifics skills, general training and much experience too. We all of us would not win … or worse.

Obviously some posters here dislike MMA and combative sports in general. Don’t watch and maybe don’t participate in MMA discussions. I know people who view cycling as a boring bike ride among gay twinkies. Presumptively wrong, and don’t watch cycling if it offends. And maybe curb your participation in cycling cites.


Dude, I'm a wrestler. MMA is bs in which disturbed people participate. Not a sport.
User avatar Jeremiah
Member
 
Posts: 480
Joined: 19 May 2012 04:42
Location: Undisclosed

22 Aug 2012 20:42

gooner wrote:This is the video of the fight. Watch from 10 mins onwards when the fight starts. He got caught by some elbows in the first round. If you closely at the end of the 1st round in his corner and at the end of the fight when he is interviewed you can actually see the dent in his head where the fractured skull is.


Image
User avatar FitSsikS
Member
 
Posts: 362
Joined: 22 Jan 2011 19:11
Location: 'Taranna', The Great White North

24 Aug 2012 14:55

lactictac wrote:MMA athletes make a choice to fight and are not pit dogs or roosters.

And steroids? OK, this is way off topic. And presumptive. However, if you, I … if anyone of us took steroids, could we then go into the cage with one of these fighters and win? No! These guys have talent, specifics skills, general training and much experience too. We all of us would not win … or worse.

Obviously some posters here dislike MMA and combative sports in general. Don’t watch and maybe don’t participate in MMA discussions. I know people who view cycling as a boring bike ride among gay twinkies. Presumptively wrong, and don’t watch cycling if it offends. And maybe curb your participation in cycling cites.


The mods may have to end up moving the thread. I happen to enjoy watching combative sports - and I once enjoyed participating in them. Over many years, I studied TaeKwonDo, various Japanese styles, and played some judo. I didn't have a lot of talent or skill, but eventually I was awarded a brown belt in a Taekwondo school that used brown belts instead of red. Cycling was my love, tho, so I never bothered to try for anything better.

Yes, these guys have talent and skills. That doesn't make using steroids right. That doesn't mean they don't use. I do not belittle their achievements, but I also recognize that some performances are "enhanced". As you said, your point in that paragraph was off-topic. I don't see your point in including it.

Especially seeing the post-fight photos that have been posted, this fight should have been stopped.
User avatar hiero2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,659
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 19:03
Location: In Descartes' reality

02 Sep 2012 11:13

Jeremiah wrote:Dude, I'm a wrestler. MMA is bs in which disturbed people participate. Not a sport.


It may not be a sport in your eyes, however if they want to slug it out in the ring I'm happy to watch.
Bushranger
New Member
 
Posts: 47
Joined: 25 Aug 2012 10:08
Location: NSW Australia


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Back to top