Register

College Football

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

03 Dec 2016 14:18

Good win by UW so they are definitely in. Now await Clemson game. A win gets them in but depending how they play, we'll see who earns the right to play Alabama.
User avatar veganrob

03 Dec 2016 15:35

That was a thorough dismantling of Colorado by UW....

They showed that they belong in the playoff, but to go up against what could arguably be the best college football team in history is a little tough to wrap my head around.

Anyway, go Huskies!
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

03 Dec 2016 15:48

Irondan wrote:That was a thorough dismantling of Colorado by UW....

They showed that they belong in the playoff, but to go up against what could arguably be the best college football team in history is a little tough to wrap my head around.

Anyway, go Huskies!

....but they didn't look too dominant against USC did they ?....very confusicalistic ain't it ?...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re: Re:

03 Dec 2016 16:48

blutto wrote:

Anyway, go Huskies!

....but they didn't look too dominant against USC did they ?....very confusicalistic ain't it ?...

Cheers

No, they played terrible on the road against USC. That doesn't matter though as USC is almost a top 10 team anyway, losing to them on the road is not as bad as losing against a team like Oregon.

Don't be a Huskyhater... :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

03 Dec 2016 17:02

No worries, guys, no matter how the Pac-12 serves up the offense we will never be able to beat the other peoples' defense. (Especially those Bama people, yo.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

03 Dec 2016 17:25

Irondan wrote:
blutto wrote:

Anyway, go Huskies!

Cheers

No, they played terrible on the road against USC. That doesn't matter though as USC is almost a top 10 team anyway, losing to them on the road is not as bad as losing against a team like Oregon.

Don't be a Huskyhater... :D

...not a Huskyhater, after all, Huskies "gave" us the gift of Warren Moon....and gawd was he magic in the CFL style of play...

....was just sayin' eh....saw the game last night and Washington did real good but that USC defense was quite dominant ( or the Washington O-line is suspect )....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

03 Dec 2016 17:42

UW can't beat Bama? BS. Go Dawgs!

It is extrememly unlikely Petersen would leave UW for the UO job. Petersen says he left Boise because after his final season at Boise (8-5) he felt he needed to get out of his comfort zone (revitalize focus). He was interviewed for the USC job, but he said it was not a good fit. IMO, the SC AD's philosophy is win at almost all cost, which clashes with Petersen's philosophy, which sets a high standard for player's character. I just don't see Petersen jumping from the Husky program he built to go to the UO.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: College Football

03 Dec 2016 17:57

For a bit there it looked as if last night's game was going to be close and potentially a spoiler for UW, but they turned up the heat and it was a surprise to see them beating CU the way they did. It's been a while since either team was ranked this high, particularly CU, so even with this loss, they've had a good season and they'll get another shot in a quality bowl, I am certain of that.

If UW doesn't get into the playoffs now and a team like UM does, well that would just be another joke by the NCAAF and the playoff/BCS committee.

What do you all think? Bama, Clemson, OSU, UW?
BullsFan22

03 Dec 2016 18:06

BullsFan22 wrote:For a bit there it looked as if last night's game was going to be close and potentially a spoiler for UW, but they turned up the heat and it was a surprise to see them beating CU the way they did. It's been a while since either team was ranked this high, particularly CU, so even with this loss, they've had a good season and they'll get another shot in a quality bowl, I am certain of that.

If UW doesn't get into the playoffs now and a team like UM does, well that would just be another joke by the NCAAF and the playoff/BCS committee.

I would never assume anything is set in stone in college football until it's set in stone, but it would be very difficult for them to explain any other teams than what you have listed unless Clemson loses to VT today. If Clemson loses Michigan is in, along with Bama, OSU, and UW.

UW has a chance to beat Bama of course, but they'll have to play the game of their lives. I'm looking forward to it... :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

03 Dec 2016 18:17

on3m@n@rmy wrote:UW can't beat Bama? BS. Go Dawgs!

It is extrememly unlikely Petersen would leave UW for the UO job. Petersen says he left Boise because after his final season at Boise (8-5) he felt he needed to get out of his comfort zone (revitalize focus). He was interviewed for the USC job, but he said it was not a good fit. IMO, the SC AD's philosophy is win at almost all cost, which clashes with Petersen's philosophy, which sets a high standard for player's character. I just don't see Petersen jumping from the Husky program he built to go to the UO.

I haven't heard that Peterson was being considered for the UO job, of course there's no reason why he wouldn't. If he left for any team it would be a bummer but if he went to UO, that would be treasonous... :D

He's in a great situation at UW, one that can't really get any better at UO IMO, unless they throw insane amounts of money at him at which UW would surely match and/or beat....
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

03 Dec 2016 19:39

Irondan wrote:

I haven't heard that Peterson was being considered for the UO job, of course there's no reason why he wouldn't. If he left for any team it would be a bummer but if he went to UO, that would be treasonous... :D

He's in a great situation at UW, one that can't really get any better at UO IMO, unless they throw insane amounts of money at him at which UW would surely match and/or beat....

There's nothing official, but some speculation he might be someone UO would consider. I don't think dollar signs would lure him away, and as you say, UW could match. But I believe there would be more to it than $$$. The ADs, the freedom to do it his way, which he has at the UW. That was very evident after he replaced Sark, remember, when Peterson sacked serveral of Sarks former players for character issues. I'm not sure the UO would be quite as supportive of the HC, depending on the player. The program might ask the HC to compromise his personnel preferences. I get the feeling UO would not be a good fit for Peterson, at least not now. I wonder what UO fans think of their current AD. That could shed some light on it. But I love Peterson as HC at UW, and I think the school's staff and fans do also. I can't see anyone prying him away from that which he has been allowed to create. Crap, just listen to the UW player interviews. Those interviews are a reflection of the HC. Class, class, class. And I'm a WSU fan.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

03 Dec 2016 20:00

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
Irondan wrote:

There's nothing official, but some speculation he might be someone UO would consider. I don't think dollar signs would lure him away, and as you say, UW could match. But I believe there would be more to it than $$$. The ADs, the freedom to do it his way, which he has at the UW. That was very evident after he replaced Sark, remember, when Peterson sacked serveral of Sarks former players for character issues. I'm not sure the UO would be quite as supportive of the HC, depending on the player. The program might ask the HC to compromise his personnel preferences. I get the feeling UO would not be a good fit for Peterson, at least not now. I wonder what UO fans think of their current AD. That could shed some light on it. But I love Peterson as HC at UW, and I think the school's staff and fans do also. I can't see anyone prying him away from that which he has been allowed to create. Crap, just listen to the UW player interviews. Those interviews are a reflection of the HC. Class, class, class. And I'm a WSU fan.

I remember that, most famously Marcus Peters who's been a leader in the NFL in interceptions for the past two years. That kid was highly skilled and talented but Peterson booted him all the same where as most other programs in the country would have played him.

I agree with your assessment, it would be a bad fit at OU. He's still on the rise here at the UW with lots of potential to have continued success and credit is deserved for turning around sad sack Sarks mediocre program back into a Don James like juggernaut. A couple more seasons like the one that the Huskies are having and Peterson would be ordained as a Saint by the Husky faithful... :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

03 Dec 2016 22:58

BullsFan22 wrote:For a bit there it looked as if last night's game was going to be close and potentially a spoiler for UW, but they turned up the heat and it was a surprise to see them beating CU the way they did. It's been a while since either team was ranked this high, particularly CU, so even with this loss, they've had a good season and they'll get another shot in a quality bowl, I am certain of that.

I wasn't so surprised after Liufau went down very early in the 1st quarter with the ankle injury. He was never the same and arguably maybe shouldn't have played since he wasn't effective with his dual-threat capibility. It looked good down only 14-7 at halftime, but you can't give a team like UW a short field with consecutive turnovers including that dreaded pick-6 in the 3rd quarter. The momentum shifted dramatically early in the 3rd quarter with the turnovers by Liufau, as the defense seemed to give up.

With this loss, I am less optimistic for a Rose Bowl berth. The committee might end up dropping #8 CU a few spots down while moving up #11 USC in the final BCS polls...thereby USC would be Rose Bowl bound against the Big-10 champion. In that scenario, CU is probably going to the Alamo Bowl against Oklahoma St. or West Virginia (still impressive, IMO).

I still think this is one of the greatest improvements in D-1 college football history. Going from 1-8 in conference play last year to 8-1 and South Division Champions speaks volumes of the job MacIntyre has done this year. Heck, this is a program that won only TWO conference games the preceding three years! If you follow Pac-12 football, CU was the "laughing stock" of the conference. Attendance at games was dismal, and not many in the Denver-Boulder area cared about Buff football.

Futhermore, MacIntyre is doing it with 2 & 3 star recruits, unlike the Bama's, Ohio St.'s, Clemson's, etc, that drown with the 4 & 5 stars. I credit AD Rick George for staying with MacIntyre for another year when fans were screaming for him to be fired after last year. If this was the University of Texas, he would have been gone after last year...glad it's not.
Last edited by Nomad on 04 Dec 2016 09:16, edited 2 times in total.
Nomad

04 Dec 2016 05:00

Ach, the Badgers... I was really rooting for them...

Re:

04 Dec 2016 06:33

Tricycle Rider wrote:Ach, the Badgers... I was really rooting for them...

Great game nonetheless...Penn St. coming back from a 21 point deficit.

Will the committee shock the football world and rank Penn St. ahead of Washington? Does it really matter? The fourth seed has to play numeral uno Bama.

And Bama - are you kidding me? 54-16 rout over #15 Florida! Granted this isn't the Gators of old, but c'mon...shut-out in the 2nd half and *0* total yards rushing. I think the 2016 National Champion has already been declared. This year it seems like all Bama has to do is just show up. And I can't fiqure why Saban always appears disgruntled & incredulous...your team could probably beat the Cleveland Browns. Lol. :)
Nomad

05 Dec 2016 20:34

I would so much rather just play in the Rose Bowl and have a chance of winning at least some kind of a "bowl" than play Bama in the playoffs and come away with nothing...

Oi, Huskies, we're gonna get spanked!

05 Dec 2016 20:57

Nomad wrote:

Will the committee shock the football world and rank Penn St. ahead of Washington? Does it really matter? The fourth seed has to play numeral uno Bama.

And Bama - are you kidding me? 54-16 rout over #15 Florida! Granted this isn't the Gators of old, but c'mon...shut-out in the 2nd half and *0* total yards rushing. I think the 2016 National Champion has already been declared. This year it seems like all Bama has to do is just show up. And I can't fiqure why Saban always appears disgruntled & incredulous...your team could probably beat the Cleveland Browns. Lol. :)

People like to think that a great college team could compete with a bad pro team, but that's just not possible. The pro game is so much faster and more physical than the college game. Those kids on Bama would get creamed....
That doesn't take away the fact that Bama is one of the best college football teams ever! I'm rooting for UW, but I don't think they'll give UA much trouble unfortunately.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

05 Dec 2016 21:01

Tricycle Rider wrote:I would so much rather just play in the Rose Bowl and have a chance of winning at least some kind of a "bowl" than play Bama in the playoffs and come away with nothing...

I think the Rose Bowl would be a much better option than whatever Bowl they're playing in. The Rose Bowl has the history, crowd, media and attention of all the west coast. The Pac12 champion should always play in the Rose Bowl, preferably against the Big10 champs...
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

05 Dec 2016 21:34

Irondan wrote:
Nomad wrote:

People like to think that a great college team could compete with a bad pro team, but that's just not possible. The pro game is so much faster and more physical than the college game. Those kids on Bama would get creamed....
That doesn't take away the fact that Bama is one of the best college football teams ever! I'm rooting for UW, but I don't think they'll give UA much trouble unfortunately.

I know that...it was a sarcastic joke to emphasize the utter dominance that Alabama has this year. No question, the best ever teams in the history of the NCAA would get hammered by the worst teams in the NFL. Interestingly though, the entire Bama starting defense is projected to be drafted at one point or another, and three of their LBs/DEs are projected to be high first-round draft picks.

I do think Saban needs to lighten-up a little bit. His halftime interviews crack me up. For example, his team could be ahead by 25-30 pts, and he'll say things like "we're just not playing that well...we're making too many mistakes" and "we need to concentrate better, this is a good team we're are playing"....and so on and so forth.

However, to his credit he's created another dynasty at Bama. When all is said and done, he'll supplant the legendary Bear Bryant as the most successful coach in Alabama history.
Last edited by Nomad on 05 Dec 2016 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Nomad

05 Dec 2016 22:03

Irondan wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:I would so much rather just play in the Rose Bowl and have a chance of winning at least some kind of a "bowl" than play Bama in the playoffs and come away with nothing...

I think the Rose Bowl would be a much better option than whatever Bowl they're playing in. The Rose Bowl has the history, crowd, media and attention of all the west coast. The Pac12 champion should always play in the Rose Bowl, preferably against the Big10 champs...
I don't think we're playing for any kind of Bowl right now, what we do get is the chance to lose to Bama!

Would agree I love the Rose Bowl, still have the sweatshirt from it the last time we had won it. (Might have been sometime back in 90s, or something like that.)

PreviousNext

Return to General