Register

College Football

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

College Football

05 Sep 2012 05:20

Do you have to be alumni or student to be a fan of a particular team?

Where did you go and/or who's your team?

UCI here but no team. Grew up in west LA so my team is the Bruins (Keeping it UC anyway).

Between the kids and family its Montana Grizzlies, Colorado State Rams and Michigan State

During a Skype conversation there was this painted on the wall behind the post game party this weekend

Mountain Bikers 22 Roadies 17. F@(# Boulder

classic
User avatar Boeing

05 Sep 2012 05:31

Do you have to be alumni or student to be a fan of a particular team? No.

Where did you go and/or who's your team? Went to WSU. And if I must, my teams: Ducks, LSU, WSU :eek:, PLU.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

05 Sep 2012 16:59

Went to Syr, but will always be a Rutgers fan. Still praying they make it out of the Big East sometime in the near future before all their success under the Schiano era goes to zilch because of weak/irrelevant conference scheduling

On3m@n- Who's PLU :confused:
[SIZE="2"]El Rey[/SIZE]
User avatar nvpacchi

06 Sep 2012 01:33

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Where did you go and/or who's your team? Went to WSU. And if I must, my teams: Ducks, LSU, WSU :eek:, PLU.

Went to WSU, and yet your avatar is a Husky?! :confused:

Love college football, no particular favorite team. Mostly like west coast teams. Would like to see someone other than the SEC dominate for a change.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

06 Sep 2012 06:25

nvpacchi wrote:Went to Syr, but will always be a Rutgers fan. Still praying they make it out of the Big East sometime in the near future before all their success under the Schiano era goes to zilch because of weak/irrelevant conference scheduling

On3m@n- Who's PLU :confused:

... a small D-III school in Tacoma, WA

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Went to WSU, and yet your avatar is a Husky?! :confused:

For those who don't know as Alpe does, WSU (cougars) and UW (huskies) are cross-state rivals. Typically, Cougs don't like the Dawgs and vice versa. Grew up in Tacoma, so the Dawgs were my first love, which I lost when I went to WSU. But I don't hate the Dawgs, and can't even say I dislike them. It's just more in fun teasing Dawg friends. Lately I've borne the brunt of the teasing. But I like the Husky avatar cos it has that "doh" look, and I won't bore you with the rest. Just for a short time here's my cat avatar. It's not as good as BroDeal's though.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

06 Sep 2012 17:33

Nice new avatar. ;)
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

12 Sep 2012 01:44

Boeing wrote:Do you have to be alumni or student to be a fan of a particular team?

Where did you go and/or who's your team?

UCI here but no team. Grew up in west LA so my team is the Bruins (Keeping it UC anyway).

classic

I lived in Florida from Kindergarten through 4th grade and just ended up liking the Florida State Seminoles. Moved all over the world and liked many teams, but the one team that I call my favorite is the 'Noles. Gonna hand out some toahawk chops this year!!!! At the moment, I'm mixing work with school at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. (No sports lol):D
"Sorry did you say something? I couldn't hear you over my friend Ivan Basso laughing at Porte's new found climbing skills."
TheHog
User avatar JeffreyPerry

12 Sep 2012 02:25

i bet you didn't know college football is a communist plot to destroy 'merica.

perhaps it should come as no surprise that i am a cal bears fan.
User avatar gregod

12 Sep 2012 12:53

I'm a homer.

Go Trojans.

I think Barkley and Co might run the table this year. If they get bt Stanford:D
Scott SoCal

14 Sep 2012 02:37

Going to school at Georgia Tech. We had a tough loss against Virginia Tech the other week, but hopefully we can bounce back.
User avatar Fowsto Cope-E

29 Nov 2013 04:24

Ahhh... here it is. The college football thread. :)
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

29 Nov 2013 12:45

Bama and Auburn should be a wicked game. (One would think, anyway.)

Other than that we've got the Apple Cup (I'm a WA Husky), but nobody cares about that one.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

29 Nov 2013 17:31

Tricycle Rider wrote:Other than that we've got the Apple Cup (I'm a WA Husky), but nobody cares about that one.

Wat? The whole state of WA, which includes Oldman & other forumites, cares.
WSU @ UW
Cats rule, Dawgs drool. :cool:
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

29 Nov 2013 18:11

... compliments of WA National Guard.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

29 Nov 2013 20:13

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Wat? The whole state of WA, which includes Oldman & other forumites, cares.
WSU @ UW
Cats rule, Dawgs drool. :cool:
Oh, all right. I'll get my mascot out.

Woof-woof!

30 Nov 2013 00:05

Cute pooch. Good game. But a typical Halli-day with the INTs at wrong time. Props to UW OL and Bishop Sankey. I've known Bishop for years and saw him play in HS. He's tougher than he looks and is hard to bring down one-on-one. If defenders do get him one-on-one in the open they best hang on for dear life and wait for friends. And defenses can't give him running lanes or let him have the corner or he is gone. Something WSU did not do well in second half.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

30 Nov 2013 14:32

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Cute pooch. Good game. But a typical Halli-day with the INTs at wrong time. Props to UW OL and Bishop Sankey. I've known Bishop for years and saw him play in HS. He's tougher than he looks and is hard to bring down one-on-one. If defenders do get him one-on-one in the open they best hang on for dear life and wait for friends. And defenses can't give him running lanes or let him have the corner or he is gone. Something WSU did not do well in second half.
I only half-heartedly followed the score, when it was 20-17 in the fourth quarter I thought we were gonna lose.

Anyhoo, you'll get us next year in Pullman. While the Huskies are still a well funded football program we haven't been the same (Rose Bowl material) since we got deservedly sanctioned all those years ago. It wasn't too long ago that we had lost 15 games in a row, I thought that was funny.

Some big games today, reason why I think the Bama - Auburn game will be wicked is because after having watched the "Roll Tide/War Eagle" documentary I learned those two teams hate each other to the point of idiocy. I expect Bama to win, but it won't be pretty.

30 Nov 2013 15:42

Looking at the Pac-12, they have a total of 6 out of conference losses, and that includes Utah, Colorado and Cal. If I calculated right, the likely bowl eligible teams are 23-2 outside the Pac-12.

Sticking with the west coast and Pac-12 for a moment. Despite being a Ducks fan for the most part, after reading about them, I'm not surprised and somewhat glad they lost to Arizona State. Word was that the Sun Devils were prepared, and focused, while the Ducks were so cocky they had the attitude that the Rose Bowl was meaningless, it was national championship or nothing. Well, they got nothing. As you guys probably know there is a large financial split between BCS bowl games, and the other bowl games. This means much less money for the college. I'm hoping the Ducks lose the Civil War to Oregon State this year. At Autzen, that would really put a stamp on it. I also much prefer the program Mike Riley runs, over what's gone on at Oregon. I still like the Ducks, but there comes a time...

I still can't see Alabama losing. I really can't. Auburn and Missouri are both good, but Auburn is so good across the entire board, and probably the best coached team in the NCAA.

This entire Jameis Winston thing is a mess. What are your guys thoughts on it? I say unless he's charged, they all but have to give him the Heisman, then strip him later if he is convicted. But that doesn't mean the voters will. It looked like Johnny Manzeil had a shot at doubling up, but after a terrible game against LSU, he's out. Mariotta is out. Some are saying AJ McCarron may sneak in. Well, being a nice kid sure is a contrast to Winston, but despite being very good, McCarron isn't Heisman good. He's really not the best player on Alabama, actually (I say CJ Mosley). If he has a monster end to the season Andre Williams could sneak in. I'm surprised that Teddy Bridgewater isn't part of the discussion, but a weak schedule and lack of key wins hurts.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

30 Nov 2013 16:42

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
Sticking with the west coast and Pac-12 for a moment. Despite being a Ducks fan for the most part, after reading about them, I'm not surprised and somewhat glad they lost to Arizona State. Word was that the Sun Devils were prepared, and focused, while the Ducks were so cocky they had the attitude that the Rose Bowl was meaningless, it was national championship or nothing. Well, they got nothing. As you guys probably know there is a large financial split between BCS bowl games, and the other bowl games. This means much less money for the college. I'm hoping the Ducks lose the Civil War to Oregon State this year. At Autzen, that would really put a stamp on it. I also much prefer the program Mike Riley runs, over what's gone on at Oregon. I still like the Ducks, but there comes a time...
It's hard to explain, but being I live in Eugene I can safely say there is a sense of entitlement on the Ducks' part. They started printing out t-shirts that said "We Want Bama", yeah well, now they don't even get the Rose Bowl.

Some guy who lives not too far away from me always puts some kind of a home-made, Duck-oriented statue on the back of his flatbed pickup truck, this year he had a bronze Duck shaped like the Heisman trophy. Obviously he though Mariota would win (or was entitled to) the Heisman.

I think the Ducks need to be brought back down to earth, just because uncle Phil (Knight) had built them a state-of-the-art football complex doesn't mean they're entitled to the National Championship.

30 Nov 2013 17:46

Alpe d'Huez wrote:This entire Jameis Winston thing is a mess. What are your guys thoughts on it?

Some quick polls show Heisman voters may still give Jameis Winston the Heisman. There have not been any charges yet and innocent until proven guilty in a court of law is a valued principle, but the Heisman voting is not a court of law and his DNA was found in the accusing woman's underwear (link). That finding should say enough about his involvement with the accusing woman, and I think character should count when considering someone for the Heisman. Otherwise we would be putting the on-field accomplishments of an athlete above more important standards. I'd rather send a message and make Jameis Winston's off-field actions an example of what should not be tolerated. Plus it is not that big a deal if he does not win the Heisman, since it is just the Heisman and not jail time.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Next

Return to General