Register

College Football

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

05 Dec 2016 22:15

Apologies, apparently we get to play Bama for something called the Peach Bowl. (The **** is that??)

Either way we'll lose, so there's that. (And we apologize for our lack of size, and speed, and defense ahead of time.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re:

05 Dec 2016 22:23

Tricycle Rider wrote:Apologies, apparently we get to play Bama for something called the Peach Bowl. (The **** is that??)

Either way we'll lose, so there's that. (And we apologize for our lack of size, and speed, and defense ahead of time.)

Up until the BCS and FBS, the "Peach" bowl was considered a non new years day bowl. It was always a step down from the major bowls and now the huskies are going to play in a playoff game against arguably the greatest college football team ever. Alabama has at least (15) five star and many more four star recruits on their squad and like a post above mentions, the entire defense will most likely be drafted into the NFL... That's insane!! :surprised:

I'm not complaining about being in the playoff, I just think that they made a mess of the bowls with the playoff system.

Go Huskies!
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Re:

06 Dec 2016 11:18

Irondan wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:Apologies, apparently we get to play Bama for something called the Peach Bowl. (The **** is that??)

Up until the BCS and FBS, the "Peach" bowl was considered a non new years day bowl. It was always a step down from the major bowls and now the huskies are going to play in a playoff game against arguably the greatest college football team ever. Alabama has at least (15) five star and many more four star recruits on their squad and like a post above mentions, the entire defense will most likely be drafted into the NFL... That's insane!! :surprised:

I'm not complaining about being in the playoff, I just think that they made a mess of the bowls with the playoff system.

Go Huskies!

Great insight...and weren't the original four New Year's Bowl games the Rose, Orange, Sugar & Fiesta that were always tied into the various conference champions? Then with the CFP format, they added the Peach (Atlanta) & the Cotton (Dallas) to round out the "New Year's Six," with a yearly rotation for the two semi-final playoff games. For example, next year the Rose & Sugar will host the semi-final games.

But what's screwed-up is the final CFP rankings and selections to the New Year's Six bowl games. CU with a final #10 ranking is snubbed out of a New Year's Six while #15 "Western" Michigan goes to the Cotton vs Wisconsin. Plain ridiculous. And not to make any excuses for CU, as they got creamed against a very well prepared & coached team in UW, but taking W.Michigan from the weak MAC conference over the Buffs? Really? And when you factor in W.Michigan's strength of schedule at a pathetic #85 vs CU's #9, it's even more ridiculous. IMO, the Buffs should be playing Wisconsin in the Cotton and let W.Michigan go to the Alamo Bowl.

You're right on...the Huskies are going to play arguably the greatest college football team ever, at the very least one of the greatest defenses ever. They're #1 in total defense and held Florida to "0" net rushing yards in the SEC Championship game (insane). Wow, does Petersen have his work cut out in developing some kind of effective game plan to keep it close. If he goes with a predominant passing attack he's going to have to figure a way to keep the pressure off of his young QB; Jake Browning. I think Petersen is one of the best coaches out there. He wins and like CU's MacIntyre, he doesn’t get the 4 & 5 star recruits that some of the top programs are getting. And as you pointed out to the number of 5 star recruits that Saban gets each year...it's beyond crazy. The NCAA should implement some kind of 5 star "recruiting cap" for each school. Enough is enough:

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/7/16/12205368/alabama-s-nothing-but-five-stars-defense
Nomad

Re: Re:

06 Dec 2016 12:04

Nomad wrote:
Irondan wrote:

Go Huskies!

Great insight...and weren't the original four New Year's Bowl games the Rose, Orange, Sugar & Fiesta that were always tied into the various conference champions? Then with the CFP format, they added the Peach (Atlanta) & the Cotton (Dallas) to round out the "New Year's Six," with a yearly rotation for the two semi-final playoff games. For example, next year the Rose & Sugar will host the semi-final games.

But what's screwed-up is the final CFP rankings and selections to the New Year's Six bowl games. CU with a final #10 ranking is snubbed out of a New Year's Six while #15 "Western" Michigan goes to the Cotton vs Wisconsin. Plain ridiculous. And not to make any excuses for CU, as they got creamed against a very well prepared & coached team in UW, but taking W.Michigan from the weak MAC conference over the Buffs? Really? And when you factor in W.Michigan's strength of schedule at a pathetic #85 vs CU's #9, it's even more ridiculous. IMO, the Buffs should be playing Wisconsin in the Cotton and let W.Michigan go to the Alamo Bowl.

You're right on...the Huskies are going to play arguably the greatest college football team ever, at the very least one of the greatest defenses ever. They're #1 in total defense and held Florida to "0" net rushing yards in the SEC Championship game (insane). Wow, does Petersen have his work cut out in developing some kind of effective game plan to keep it close. If he goes with a predominant passing attack he's going to have to figure a way to keep the pressure off of his young QB; Jake Browning. I think Petersen is one of the best coaches out there. He wins and like CU's MacIntyre, he doesn’t get the 4 & 5 star recruits that some of the top programs are getting. And as you pointed out to the number of 5 star recruits that Saban gets each year...it's beyond crazy. The NCAA should implement some kind of 5 star "recruiting cap" for each school. Enough is enough:

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2016/7/16/12205368/alabama-s-nothing-but-five-stars-defense

....I believe the original four included the Cotton Bowl and not the Fiesta Bowl ( at least as far back as I remember ).....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

31 Dec 2016 16:05

Wow! What a wild Orange Bowl finish. Best in a long time.

Wolverines Peppers should feel like a heel he chose not to play to guarantee he would not get injured before the draft. If his act becomes the norm what will that turn bowl games into? Now if players were paid and payments were made after the bowl games then payment could be withheld by schools if players dodged bowl games. Just a thought.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

31 Dec 2016 16:07

As for today, go Dawgs!
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

31 Dec 2016 18:36

Well, here goes nothing... especially my understanding of the point spread. (It's been explained to me numerous times, think I sort of get it this time.)

According to the paper Alabama is favored by 13.5 points (only 13.5??), so I put my money (a whole 50 cents in a betting game I'm playing with one of my clients) on them as I think they will easily be able to humiliate my alma mater.

For me this is the only Bowl that matters - we get to play the best team in the country, hopefully we'll come out of it not overly maimed.

So yeah,

Go Huskies, and Happy New Year, ya'll!

Re: College Football

01 Jan 2017 04:25

No surprises in Bama's dominating win over UW, though it looked interesting with the Huskies' first strike on their first offensive series. The name of the game for Bama this year has been DEFENSE; one of the best in the history of the college game. They held the Huskies to just 44 yds rushing and forced 3 turnovers; one a pick-six by Anderson. Browning was pressured & rattled in practically every passing situation by Bama's monstrous front seven...can't imagine why. Lol. On the offensive side, Bama also dominated with 269 rushing yds. Even though their passing game was off as true freshman Jalen Hurts appeared uncomfortable in most passing situations preferring to scramble and run, they don't need to throw the ball much with their running attack and that stellar defense.

In the other game...did Ohio St. neglect to prepare for Clemson or what? Urban Meyer shut-out! Unbelievable. Was this the same team that beat Michigan in that great Big-10 showdown a month ago? I don’t know if Clemson is that good or Ohio St. was that bad. Boring game either way.

So, here we have it: a rematch of last year's championship game, and #1 vs #2...again (who needs a playoff when you can just match-up the final BCS #1 vs #2 and get the same result). One thing is certain; Sweeney better figure out pretty quickly how to establish some kind of run game, and find a way to get pass protection for Watson against that crushing Bama defense...or it's going to be a very, very long night in Tampa next week.

Roll Tide...as they say.
Nomad

02 Jan 2017 21:31

Nomad wrote:In the other game...did Ohio St. neglect to prepare for Clemson or what? Urban Meyer shut-out! Unbelievable. Was this the same team that beat Michigan in that great Big-10 showdown a month ago? I don’t know if Clemson is that good or Ohio St. was that bad. Boring game either way.
I didn't really watch the game, but judging by the score (and this is something I expected to happen in the Bama-Washington game) - yo Buckeyes, WTF?!

Don't have a horse in the race as far as the final is concerned, but, just because Bama has been so dominant this year I'll be rooting for Clemson.

(As far as the Rose Bowl today, I'm rooting for USC.)

03 Jan 2017 03:55

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Nomad wrote:In the other game...did Ohio St. neglect to prepare for Clemson or what? Urban Meyer shut-out! Unbelievable. Was this the same team that beat Michigan in that great Big-10 showdown a month ago? I don’t know if Clemson is that good or Ohio St. was that bad. Boring game either way.
I didn't really watch the game, but judging by the score (and this is something I expected to happen in the Bama-Washington game) - yo Buckeyes, WTF?!

Don't have a horse in the race as far as the final is concerned, but, just because Bama has been so dominant this year I'll be rooting for Clemson.

I think most of the nation outside the State of Alabama will be rooting for Clemson. And who knows...Clemson might have a shot at this; their defense is pretty good as they shut out Ohio St., and they have a big, talented front four that could give Bama's OL some trouble. As I mentioned previously, if Swinney can figure a way to keep pressure of DeShaun Watson (a projected late 1st/early 2nd rd draft pick), he's very dangerous with his pass/run option ability.

Also, Bama's OC Lane Kiffin was let go by Saban and won't coach in the championship game (must have rubbed Saban the wrong way when he took the HC job at Florida Atlantic. Lol). That can only help Clemson, and maybe Clemson can be inspired by Western Michigan. Who would have thought that the little guys from the MAC conference would play powerhouse Big-10 Wisconsin so tough in the Cotton Bowl. They were in it and gave themselves a chance to win...impressive from a school that can't recruit on the same level as the power conference schools.
Last edited by Nomad on 05 Jan 2017 12:15, edited 2 times in total.
Nomad

03 Jan 2017 15:45

Nomad wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:

I think most of the nation outside the State of Alabama will be rooting for Clemson. And who knows...Clemson might have a shot at this; their defense is pretty good as they shut out Ohio St., and they have a big, talented front four that could give Bama's OL some trouble. As I mentioned previously, if Sweeney can figure a way to keep pressure of DeShaun Watson (a projected early 2nd rd draft pick), he's very dangerous with his pass/run option ability.

Also, Bama's OC Lane Kiffin was let go by Saban and won't coach in the championship game (must have rubbed Saban the wrong way when he took the HC job at Florida Atlantic. Lol). That can only help Clemson, and maybe Clemson can be inspired by Western Michigan. Who would have thought that the little guys from the MAC conference would play powerhouse Big-10 Wisconsin so tough in the Cotton Bowl. They were in it and gave themselves a chance to win...impressive from a school that can't recruit on the same level as the power conference schools.

LOL for sure. Either it miffed Saban, or Saban did him the favor of letting him get an early start on the new job. More likely Saban was upset showing his colors.

What a wild Rose Bowl finish.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

04 Jan 2017 02:08

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
Nomad wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:

I think most of the nation outside the State of Alabama will be rooting for Clemson. And who knows...Clemson might have a shot at this; their defense is pretty good as they shut out Ohio St., and they have a big, talented front four that could give Bama's OL some trouble. As I mentioned previously, if Sweeney can figure a way to keep pressure of DeShaun Watson (a projected early 2nd rd draft pick), he's very dangerous with his pass/run option ability.

LOL for sure. Either it miffed Saban, or Saban did him the favor of letting him get an early start on the new job. More likely Saban was upset showing his colors.

What a wild Rose Bowl finish.

This is too funny...no wonder Kiffin took the Florida Atlantic job. Saban at his finest:

https://youtu.be/KJiccHB4cZo

Agree on that Rose Bowl game, college football at it's best! What can you say about USC; down two TDs late in the fourth, find a way to tie the game, and off a Penn St. turnover kick the winning FG as time expires. And just think the QB for USC, who broke Rose Bowl records for total offense and passing TDs, is only a Freshman.
Nomad

09 Jan 2017 23:21

My Monopoly money is on the Tide, but I'm hoping Clemson will somehow be able to pull it off.

Come on, Clemson, do something spectacular tonight!

10 Jan 2017 01:19

Clemson for me. NDO
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

10 Jan 2017 12:56

Tricycle Rider wrote:My Monopoly money is on the Tide, but I'm hoping Clemson will somehow be able to pull it off.

Come on, Clemson, do something spectacular tonight!

They sure did something SPECTACULAR by shocking the college football world and dismantling one of the best defenses in the history of the college game! This will be talked about for years...kudos to Swinney for orchestrating an offense that was able to move the ball on Bama.

What an exciting fourth quarter and the last two mins were unbelievable: Hurts scores the go ahead TD, and their kickoff team blows the coverage giving Clemson great field position at the 35 or so. Then Watson shows great poise chewing-up big yardage with nice passes. With just a minute or so used, Watson already has them in FG range. Then Watson's gutsy roll-out option play call and nice TD pass at the goal line as time runs out. The Bama DBs looked terrible on that drive (and for the most part...the whole game).

Bottom line: Bama's "great" defense choked big time. I imagine the State of Alabama must be crying in their beer right now :( And Saban runs the table this season only to lose in the one that counts.
Nomad

10 Jan 2017 17:33

Great game. Really exciting, and huge props to Clemson.

I don't know how much they choked, as they were outplayed at the end, it's that simple. They weren't quite as great as everyone kept saying they were. Watson, the receivers, and really their entire offense, showed a lot of grit and poise on the 4th quarter, and especially that last drive, huge credit there.

As to the no-call on the pick play, let's be very clear here, this happens all the time in football The play was just off the line of scrimmage, not down field, and the wide out (Scott) never touched the safety (Brown) who was set to cover the slot/flanker (Renfro), he only touched his dedicated defender (Humphrey), and didn't initiate the contact other than running at Humphrey, in fact, his eyes were not on Humphrey, but back towards Watson. There is no possible way the officials are going to call this, especially that close to the line of scrimmage. Alabama should have been better prepared for it, and very quickly shifted the OLB and far side safety to cover a potential slant from Scott as soon as Watson started to roll out, this would have allowed Brown to move out quicker to cover the the outside, where Renfro was headed.

Even if the refs had called offensive PI, and Clemson hadn't scored on the next play, or just kicked a FG to send it to OT, they had the Tide going backwards at that point and likely would have won the game anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/01/10/yes-clemson-ran-a-pick-play-to-beat-alabama-but-it-was-a-legal-play/?utm_term=.2da768724d2a
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

23 Jan 2017 21:16

Reporting live from Eugene, OR -

Not only has the new Ducks strengthening/weight room coach been suspended from his job for a month without pay (because, allegedly, three players ended up in the hospital due to over-training), now the new co-co something assistant coordinator has been fired due to a DUI he managed to collect over the weekend.

This is not a good start for the new Ducks football coaching staff, not a good start at all.

27 Jan 2017 05:15

movingtarget
Veteran

29 Jun 2017 21:23

This is crazy! Its not really football but since they were football players, I'll post it here:
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19760676/university-rochester-football-player-kidnapped-tortured-40-hours
jmdirt

Re:

30 Jun 2017 08:22

jmdirt wrote:This is crazy! Its not really football but since they were football players, I'll post it here:
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19760676/university-rochester-football-player-kidnapped-tortured-40-hours

Crazy sums it up pretty well.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General