Register

College Football

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

04 Dec 2017 13:52

Any burning opinions on Alabama being chosen over Ohio State in the playoffs?

I would actually prefer for those two teams to play each other and then call it a day. As things stand I don't have a horse in the race when it comes to the playoffs... maybe Georgia?

Meh, I don't really care who wins the national title, I think the whole playoff system is stupid and doesn't establish much of anything. But such is the game of college football - with so many teams and so few games I think it's ridiculous to try to determine who is the best team in the nation.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re:

04 Dec 2017 17:59

Tricycle Rider wrote:Any burning opinions on Alabama being chosen over Ohio State in the playoffs?

I would actually prefer for those two teams to play each other and then call it a day. As things stand I don't have a horse in the race when it comes to the playoffs... maybe Georgia?

Meh, I don't really care who wins the national title, I think the whole playoff system is stupid and doesn't establish much of anything. But such is the game of college football - with so many teams and so few games I think it's ridiculous to try to determine who is the best team in the nation.

I think Alabama was deserving of the playoff spot, as much as I hate to admit it. They had a better record against some quality opponents. OSU's loss to Iowa state was embarrassing for a playoff team, the CFP committee made the right choice.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

04 Dec 2017 21:05

Playoffs need to be 8 teams
5 conference champs, then three further chosen by the committee.

Would solve a whole lot of issues with the current format.
User avatar Catwhoorg

Re:

04 Dec 2017 21:07

Catwhoorg wrote:Playoffs need to be 8 teams

And then play three extra games at the end of the season? I don't know how that would work...
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

05 Dec 2017 00:08

Well, suppose we had that format this year. It would look like this, beginning with the conference winners:

Clemson
Georgia
Oklahoma
Ohio State
USC

Who would be the three at-large teams? Bama for sure, but who else? The losers of the conference championships were Miami, Auburn, TCU, Wisconsin, and Stanford. Wisconsin, with only one loss, would probably be next. Who gets the last spot? Miami finished with the fewest losses, two, but Auburn had those wins over Georgia and Bama.

Then there are the teams other than Alabama that didn’t make the conference championship that have a strong case. What about Penn State, which also lost just two games, to OSU and another ranked team, Michigan State, by a grand total of four points? How can you not take them? What about Washington, another two loss team, with both losses by a single score? And at this point, don’t you also have to consider UCF, which was undefeated?

It seems to me that you have at the least five teams with very strong arguments—Miami, Auburn, Penn State, Washington, and UCF—chasing that final spot. By the final BCS rankings, the three at-large teams would be Alabama and Wisconsin, followed by Auburn, but if I were a fan of any of those other four schools, I’d be upset if not outraged that a three loss team got in ahead of mine (for that matter, even Wisconsin is debatable; if PSU had played in the Big 10 championship, they would have been favored over the Badgers). Compared to the four team playoff, which this year left only one school complaining, and really, not all that much.

Moral of the story: No matter how much you expand a playoff, teams that don’t get in are going to complain. The only advantage of expansion is that eventually you get to the point where you can argue that even if a team was unfairly excluded, it almost certainly wasn’t going to win it all, anyway. Whether you could say that with strong certainty with an 8-team playoff is debatable. And of course, as Dan mentions, the extra game is a problem. They would probably have to reduce the length of the regular season schedule to allow for that.
Merckx index

Re: Re:

05 Dec 2017 10:36

Irondan wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:Any burning opinions on Alabama being chosen over Ohio State in the playoffs?

I think Alabama was deserving of the playoff spot, as much as I hate to admit it. They had a better record against some quality opponents. OSU's loss to Iowa state was embarrassing for a playoff team, the CFP committee made the right choice.
I was actually quite surprised that Alabama was selected. And the two ESPN college football pundits, Galloway & Palmer, had Ohio St. hands down in the 4th spot. I guess though if Bama goes on to win the national championship the committee will look like geniuses or fortune tellers.

The two things I learned from this is 1) conference championships don't mean as much as the committee says they do and 2) don't have a bad loss on your resume. And for the second straight year the Big-10 champion gets snubbed.

The focus seemed to be on OSU's two losses with the very bad loss to Iowa though they beat #2 Penn St., #17 Michigan St and #4 Wisconsin in the championship game. OTOH, Bama had the one loss to a very good Auburn team but only beat two ranked opponents with both outside the top 10 (#14 LSU & #19 Miss St). And Bama's non-conference schedule was not impressive with the likes of Fresno St., Colorado St. & Mercer. One must wonder if OSU had scheduled a team like "Mercer" instead of Oklahoma if a one loss Big-10 champion would have made a difference

We'll know in about a month if Bama was the right choice and if they go on to win the national title, then I guess the committee is something special.
Nomad

05 Dec 2017 13:51

Irondan wrote:

And then play three extra games at the end of the season? I don't know how that would work...

Quarter finals around Dec 15/16th
Semis Jan 1st
Final Jan 8th

Yes there will always be arguments about people on the edge who gets in and who doesn't, but 5 spots for conference champions makes those meaningful again.

(then this year I would have gone 'Bama, Wisconsin and Auburn, but then again I live in the heart of SEC country so am more familiar with what Auburn did this year than Penn State or Miami so maybe some regional bias)
User avatar Catwhoorg

05 Dec 2017 13:55

Nomad wrote:
Irondan wrote:

I was actually quite surprised that Alabama was selected. And the two ESPN college football pundits, Galloway & Palmer, had Ohio St. hands down in the 4th spot. I guess though if Bama goes on to win the national championship the committee will look like geniuses or fortune tellers.

The two things I learned from this is 1) conference championships don't mean as much as the committee says they do and 2) don't have a bad loss on your resume. And for the second straight year the Big-10 champion gets snubbed.

The focus seemed to be on OSU's two losses with the very bad loss to Iowa though they beat #2 Penn St., #17 Michigan St and #4 Wisconsin in the championship game. OTOH, Bama had the one loss to a very good Auburn team but only beat two ranked opponents with both outside the top 10 (#14 LSU & #19 Miss St). And Bama's non-conference schedule was not impressive with the likes of Fresno St., Colorado St. & Mercer. One must wonder if OSU had scheduled a team like "Mercer" instead of Oklahoma if a one loss Big-10 champion would have made a difference

We'll know in about a month if Bama was the right choice and if they go on to win the national title, then I guess the committee is something special.

As I've stated (too :) many times, IMO the number one criteria is overall record. Zero loss teams should be in, then one loss teams. As long as there are four zero or one loss teams a two loss team should not get in. Conference championship should only be a tie breaker between teams with the same record. I've also asserted that Div. I is Div. 1. If they aren't on equal footing then the NCAA needs to make a distinction (not the "committee"), and/or establish scheduling requirements.

Obviously I recognize that the AAC isn't nearly as tough as the SEC, but they are both Div.1 (the AFC West is still NFL). When BSU was in their glory years earlier in this century, they showed that a good team can win against anyone (at least for one game)...good is good.
jmdirt

05 Dec 2017 14:20

As a Wisconsin alumnus, there is no way that the Badgers should be anywhere near the playoff this year. Their best victory was over Northwestern and their road victories were over BYU (4-9), Nebraska (4-8), Illinois (2-10), Indiana (5-7), and Minnesota (5-7). Obviously the CFP is not perfect, but I like the 4-team system with the conference games as de facto play-in games. If there were an 8 team playoff, it should be the 5 conference winners, UCF, Penn St, and Auburn. Allowing a team like Wisconsin in under that format would reward teams that play easy schedules.
President Trump: "We are going to take a strong look at our country's libel laws ... You can't say things that are false, knowingly false, and be able to smile as money pours into your bank account."
djpbaltimore

06 Dec 2017 15:21

Willie Taggart to the Seminoles - no real surprise there. I mean, why stick around in Eugene? It certainly wouldn't be for the weather and the ample selection of Nike uniforms. Ha!

Have to feel a bit bad for the kids though, some of them moved here because of Taggart, and a couple of potential Oregon recruits have de-comitted already upon hearing the news that Taggart is going to Florida.

Don't really know much about the interim head coach, but it leaves the Ducks in a bit of a pickle in the upcoming Vegas Bowl. Such is college football, though, but personally I can't blame Taggart too much. I probably would have followed my dream job as well

16 Dec 2017 17:38

Bowl season is here, ya'll ready for 41 of them? :lol:

Here's a guide, the only game I may vaguely follow today is the Vegas Bowl. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21747907/ultimate-bowl-guide-all-41-games

Ducks will be playing the Boise State Smurfs (I actually really like Boise's blue AstroTurf, it certainly stands out), have no idea how to call it. The Ducks' star RB is sitting the game out because he doesn't want to get hurt before the NFL draft, can't really blame him. The Vegas Bowl certainly isn't one of the numerous Bowls I would just die to partake in.

16 Dec 2017 23:07

Think Boise State's QB is a bit trigger happy, and that's about all I've got to say about that. Well, so far.

01 Jan 2018 17:26

tonight going to be some nice games. not a great fan of Bama tbh :)
Riverside

Re: College Football

01 Jan 2018 22:21

I would like to see Clemson put the wood on Bama...I'm sick & tired of Saban.

Kudos to UCF for knocking off Auburn in the Peach! I think the committee botched this one leaving them out of playoffs! You gotta wonder if Scott Frost is having second thoughts now about leaving UCF.
Nomad

02 Jan 2018 23:47

Not a fan of either team in the final, but if asked I'd root for Georgia.

(Doesn't mean I think they'll actually win, btw., it just means I'll be rooting for them.)

03 Jan 2018 13:29

I'm with you...I'll be rooting for the Dawgs! It would be nice to see Kirby Smart get his first NC as a HC in just his 2nd yr with Georgia. And he should be familiar with NCs as he was Bama's DC for 7 seasons prior to taking the job at Georgia.

I was very surprised that Bama beat Clemson 24 - 6. This is #1 ranked Clemson & defending NC that got manhandled by Bama (Clemson was missing no starters, plenty of time to prepare, etc.). Unlike the exciting down to the wire game with Georgia & Oklahoma, this game was boring and completely dominated by Bama's defense. The selection of Bama with the at-large birth is starting to make the CFP committee look like geniuses. And if they go on to win yet another NC, then the committee must have a crystal ball somewhere. Lol.

Also...Rich Rodiquez fired at Arizona for allegations of sexual harassment! :( This makes both coaches at Arizona & ASU (Todd Graham) fired in the same season. Gotta be a first in Arizona.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/ua/2018/01/02/arizona-wildcats-weighing-whether-fire-football-coach-rich-rodriguez/998475001/
Nomad

03 Jan 2018 20:27

jmdirt

09 Jan 2018 09:01

Wow!...what an entertaining championship game! And what a move by Saban to change QBs at halftime going with the true freshmen Tua Tagovailoa from Hawaii. The kid is got an arm with that 41 yd game winning strike in OT. And Saban ties Bear Bryant's record for most NCAA football national championship wins by a coach with 6.

I don't know what to say about the CFP committee (I swear they must have a crystal ball somewhere). I remember Saban saying a few days before the committee made it's final selection that he believed his team was good enough and deserved to be in the playoffs...no kidding!

Interesting story about Tagovailoa, the #2 ranked dual-threat QB coming out of HS last year, and why he chose Bama over Southern Cal:

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/breaking-hawaiian-four-star-qb-explains-why-he-committed-to-alabama
Nomad

09 Jan 2018 13:43

In the middle of Q2 I told the crew who I was watching the game with that Hurts is a great athlete, but he will never be an NFL QB so if he has dreams of playing pro, he needs to be a RB next year. Not in my wildest dreams did I think that he would get yanked at halftime, but now he won't even play QB in college anymore. As hard as that had to be for him, he showed HUGE class supporting his young team mate!

The Tide kicker killed his chances of getting drafted. No team wants a kicker who misses two chip shots, and especially a game winner.

Tua...WOW! Talk about a young man steppin' up!

Entertaining game.
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General