Register

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

17 Mar 2017 19:46

Laukkanen first ever wc win in biathlon sprint. Kinda surprising.
User avatar meat puppet

18 Mar 2017 18:31

i was impressed by the laukkanen win today (and yesterday) and particularly by her humble gesture dedicated to the untimely departure of a finnish coach. nice to see finland perform and grieve as a TEAM ! if it took 29 years for laukkanen to burst into the ranks, no one should feel snarky...

in quebec, i was very pleased by stina and hanna yesterday. also, as always, good to see harvey overpowering the norges in the sprint. he also was very solid today. i heard him promising the nrk interviewer a hard chase after klaebo tomorrow.

i thank the xc gods for allowing parma and bess to interfere into the red parade...that said, i am not sure klaebo will be able to stay away in a pursuit tomorrow. the talent is on his side, but the experience is on the chasers.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

18 Mar 2017 18:43

That was some of the smoothest, easiest classic skiing I've seen. Bessmertnykh skied very economically, he had the energy to ski 50, not 15 today. I was very surprised he didn't try to bust it open on the final lap when he took over the lead. He also could have taken Dyrhaug at the line, but surprisingly skied behind him to the line. That was strange. He could have won this race but didn't look like he was trying. Just my observation.
BullsFan22

18 Mar 2017 19:05

Bessmertnykh hardly ever looks like he's trying ;-)
kingjr

18 Mar 2017 19:06

it was a mass start...wasn't it ?

bess started in a literal mess of human bodies something like 12-13 sec behind in 58th or 59th out of 70+..wasn't he ?

provided we understand it's not cycling but xc skiing, it takes a LOT of extra energy to not only catch up, but to go around the mess of struggling bodies where the width of the course is only 3 tracks.. doesn't it ?

what bess showed was perfectly within his exceptional classic potential, but given the energy waste, i'd be very surprised if his marginal classic advantage over everyone (except sundby) could deliver more today. the very lead he took with 3 km to go was a statement of his limit to control the pace to his comfort (by definition) fearing an uncontrolled acceleration. he actually was 100% right b/c only sundby could squeeze a higher pace at that point.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

20 Mar 2017 06:26

meat puppet wrote:Laukkanen first ever wc win in biathlon sprint. Kinda surprising.

Koukalova has two small globes. Nice. At the end she was the only one to put up decent fight against Dahlmeier, at both world cup and world champs (where she was better there surely in two maybe even three out of six races races despite how comments here looked like).
Kokoso

20 Mar 2017 09:33

By the end of there careers which Johannes, Boe or Klaeboe will have been more successful?
Singer01

Re:

20 Mar 2017 11:11

Singer01 wrote:By the end of there careers which Johannes, Boe or Klaeboe will have been more successful?

That doesn't matter much, they are both boe anyway :)
Kokoso

23 Mar 2017 22:40

The great one extended her streak to nine-straight wins in World Cup distance races (anything longer than a sprint)! http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/bjorgen-bests-weng-finalize-unbeaten-streak-bjornsen-fifth-day-quebec/

“It has been an incredible season for me after Christmas,” Bjørgen, who had a child in December 2015 and took last season off, told reporters on Sunday. “I won every long distance and four golds in the World Championships so this has been incredible and to win today also.”

“I knew that it would be a sprint in the end with Heidi and to have her behind me is a very good feeling,” Bjørgen said. “I’m 10 years older and to be there is a good feeling to take with me into the Olympic [year next season].”
Pazuzu

Re:

24 Mar 2017 00:36

Pazuzu wrote:The great one extended her streak to nine-straight wins in World Cup distance races (anything longer than a sprint)! http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/bjorgen-bests-weng-finalize-unbeaten-streak-bjornsen-fifth-day-quebec/

“It has been an incredible season for me after Christmas,” Bjørgen, who had a child in December 2015 and took last season off, told reporters on Sunday. “I won every long distance and four golds in the World Championships so this has been incredible and to win today also.”

“I knew that it would be a sprint in the end with Heidi and to have her behind me is a very good feeling,” Bjørgen said. “I’m 10 years older and to be there is a good feeling to take with me into the Olympic [year next season].”

I really hope that Bjoergen retires after the Olympics next season. Women's racing has been such a borefest with the top few skiers breaking away and everyone else has no shot whatsoever. Either that or I hope that Kowalczyk can somehow get back to something like her best and she contends for the top spot again. Sure, that would mean a 37 year old and a 34 year old going while the youngsters are schooled, but at least there will be a non-Norwegian to challenge for wins in distance races. The sprints are 'slightly' more 'open' but not that much more variety there either.
BullsFan22

Previous

Return to General