Log in:  

Register

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

10 Mar 2018 22:29

Mayomaniac wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:Disgusting commentary from ZDF. Why can't they find some competent people that know the sport a little better and that don't have to make stupid politically motivating comments. Goodness me.

ZDF has to be some of the worst pro NATO propaganda when it comes to XC Skiing/Biathlon, there's a reason why I prefer Swiss TV.
Really happy for Cologna, he finally won a 50km race.



Unfortunately I can't get SRF. How do you get it if you are outside of Switzerland? And specifically about ZDF, I haven't heard of the guy commentating on today's race. Must be new, or I just haven't watched too many races on ZDF. It's as if he has specific, strict orders...In some ways I was glad they only showed 20 minutes of the race. Thankfully there is Youtube...
BullsFan22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,068
Joined: 22 Jun 2010 21:19

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

10 Mar 2018 22:46

BullsFan22 wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:Disgusting commentary from ZDF. Why can't they find some competent people that know the sport a little better and that don't have to make stupid politically motivating comments. Goodness me.

ZDF has to be some of the worst pro NATO propaganda when it comes to XC Skiing/Biathlon, there's a reason why I prefer Swiss TV.
Really happy for Cologna, he finally won a 50km race.



Unfortunately I can't get SRF. How do you get it if you are outside of Switzerland? And specifically about ZDF, I haven't heard of the guy commentating on today's race. Must be new, or I just haven't watched too many races on ZDF. It's as if he has specific, strict orders...In some ways I was glad they only showed 20 minutes of the race. Thankfully there is Youtube...

I'm from South Tyrol, so we get Swiss TV, not only the German, but also the Italian one, LA1 - RSI, no idea on how to get Swiss TV in Germany, but years ago the mentioned the fact that a ton of Germans watched the Tour on Swiss TV and boosted their ratings, but maybe you only get it in SouthWest Germany
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,414
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

11 Mar 2018 09:55

Who has had the better season now, Klaebo or Cologna?
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,108
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

11 Mar 2018 10:22

if i could reduce my impressions of the 50k to soundbites, it would be something like this (not necessarily in the same order)

-why krogh is allowed to embarrass himself and northug isn't ?
-klaebo a distance genius too ? not yet
-vyleg isn't done yet... would likely win if it was a classic ?
-the french team work was for nothing
-sundby, get bigger shoes, or longer legs, will you !
- watch out for spitsov, a true distance talent imo.
-chervotkin not the smartest tactic...
-cologna a genius or just reversed his usual bad luck in kollen
-h0lund like harvey, talk too much
-danny richardsson my hero, yes, for being the 11th
.......
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,871
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re:

11 Mar 2018 11:27

Singer01 wrote:Who has had the better season now, Klaebo or Cologna?


Cologna has won Tour de Ski, Olympic Gold and Holmenkollen 50 all in one season. It's a no-contest really. Sheer number of wins is a lot higher for Klaebo, but those that are worth the most belong to Cologna.
User avatar Põhja Konn
Member
 
Posts: 467
Joined: 01 Sep 2012 17:09

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

11 Mar 2018 11:54

Am I the only one who thinks that a 50km race should be worth way more than 100 Points? I mean you get the same Points for a **** sprint in Dresden as for a 50m victory that's simply so wrong on so many Levels.
User avatar Bavarianrider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,080
Joined: 07 Apr 2011 18:14
Location: Bavaria

11 Mar 2018 12:05

WOW! :eek: What a race! :surprised:
User avatar ToreBear
Member
 
Posts: 1,714
Joined: 08 Aug 2012 23:08
Location: Norway

Re: Re:

11 Mar 2018 12:07

Põhja Konn wrote:
Singer01 wrote:Who has had the better season now, Klaebo or Cologna?


Cologna has won Tour de Ski, Olympic Gold and Holmenkollen 50 all in one season. It's a no-contest really. Sheer number of wins is a lot higher for Klaebo, but those that are worth the most belong to Cologna.


And two of those Klaebo wins at the Olympics were team efforts.
BullsFan22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,068
Joined: 22 Jun 2010 21:19

Re:

11 Mar 2018 19:20

ToreBear wrote:WOW! :eek: What a race! :surprised:


that was really fascinating to see how Bjoergen kept cool and perfectly managed her efforts to close the gap just in time
User avatar search
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,041
Joined: 29 Aug 2009 10:43

Re: Re:

12 Mar 2018 14:35

search wrote:
ToreBear wrote:WOW! :eek: What a race! :surprised:


that was really fascinating to see how Bjoergen kept cool and perfectly managed her efforts to close the gap just in time


Yep. She even held back in areas like steep climbs to save her energy. I guess that's one of the many benefits of living down the street.
User avatar ToreBear
Member
 
Posts: 1,714
Joined: 08 Aug 2012 23:08
Location: Norway

15 Mar 2018 20:48

When JTB comes out of the second shoot in 1st place I never expected him to lose, especially to the surprise winner.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,108
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

17 Mar 2018 16:46

Sasha Bolshunov won his first WC race today! Next year WCh with him and Sergey will be fantastic.
Rider
Junior Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 03 Jan 2016 00:21

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

18 Mar 2018 08:50

Oh well, once again it was proofen that mass start races simply don't work in Falun.
User avatar Bavarianrider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,080
Joined: 07 Apr 2011 18:14
Location: Bavaria

18 Mar 2018 14:49

Well, classic on yesterday was good one.
Rider
Junior Member
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 03 Jan 2016 00:21

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

18 Mar 2018 21:57

Bolshounov had an incredible season. :surprised: :surprised:
User avatar Bavarianrider
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,080
Joined: 07 Apr 2011 18:14
Location: Bavaria

19 Mar 2018 15:47

The Russians have been insanely strong at the end of the season, probably fueled with extra motivation to make every race count this year.

It’s not nice watching them ski however, technique-wise it’s a mess. Chervotkin and Spitsov in particular, but also Bolshunov.
It seems they lack some core strength and stability, anyone have insight into their methods/philosophy? Compared to Cologna (my personal benchmark), but also the Swedish and Norwegians in general it’s night and day. I can’t help but think they’re leaving a lot on the table?
«Sky helped for the GC, so did BMC - a lot of teams tried but one rider isn't enough. Not against De Gendt. He's like 10 riders.»
Oude Geuze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 199
Joined: 03 Apr 2016 21:16

24 Mar 2018 16:58

the legend strikes again. no words to describe martin, never saw a guy so mentally strong like him.
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re:

24 Mar 2018 18:49

portugal11 wrote:the legend strikes again. no words to describe martin, never saw a guy so mentally strong like him.

JTB needs to look to him and see what he can do to emulate that mentality, as he clearly has the ski speed to surpass him. And everyone else needs to step it up and put some pressure on the pair of them.
Womens overall couldn't be any better set up, only 5 points seperate Makarainen and Kuzmina. Womens world cup is so much more fun than the mens.
Singer01
Member
 
Posts: 1,108
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 19:04

07 Apr 2018 09:40

If anyone is interested, the Norwegian XC championship is running 30k and 50k in freestyle with individual starts.

I don't think NRK has any geo restrictions, so there should be a stream available:
https://www.nrk.no/sport/sendeplan/

Live timing:
https://data.fis-ski.com/
The race is in Alta.

Bjørgen is retiring, so it's her last race.
User avatar ToreBear
Member
 
Posts: 1,714
Joined: 08 Aug 2012 23:08
Location: Norway

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

09 Apr 2018 19:23

OEB retires, Emil Hegle Svendsen retires, Bjorgen retired. Wow.
Max Rockatansky
Member
 
Posts: 1,066
Joined: 16 Jun 2015 11:59

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests

Back to top