Register

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

17 Feb 2018 05:54

Cance > TheRest wrote:
Singer01 wrote:JTB SKI times seem back on track. Bodes well for mass start and both relays.

Yep, apart from the result, that's also what I noticed. When Johannes is back to his usual, outskiing Fourcade, I'm not so worried about Fourcade dominating the mass start.

I am still "worried" because it seems to me that JTB doesn't perform very well in mass starts. It seems to me that he lets Fourcade dictate the races too easily.
RattaKuningas

17 Feb 2018 09:58

Fourcade likes the MS because they tend to ramp the pace up as the race goes on, he shoots much slower in prone than in standing, so he can take his time in prone, catching himself back up while the pace is off, and then pressurise others with his fast standing and the pace he has left to burn.

Astrid has hit the wall and Haga has got a lot to do vs. Ebba now, it was a gamble putting Jacobsen in there off so little racing, Haga's now got about 30 seconds of deficit to make up.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

17 Feb 2018 10:46

very interesting relay.

...stina was too stretched. too much on the limit for too long to rely on her sprint...norway can consider themselves lucky as they i suspect counted on old muscle mama dropping stina long before the last 200 meters...

before the race, i was betting on the finns for a podium. not sure what went on, but one of the factors was a very smart leg selection by the russian coaching staff who, quite deliberately and unlike the typical logic, placed their weakest asset ...in the 4th leg. who could predict that team russia will lead after 3 leg ? i couldn't. ebba against sedova was a nail biter having haga in the background..kalla was a monstres and did exactly what she was supposed to.

generally, the lead teams imo juggled their assets very smartly and that's what made the race so interesting
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

17 Feb 2018 10:49

Libertine Seguros wrote:Fourcade likes the MS because they tend to ramp the pace up as the race goes on, he shoots much slower in prone than in standing, so he can take his time in prone, catching himself back up while the pace is off, and then pressurise others with his fast standing and the pace he has left to burn.

Astrid has hit the wall and Haga has got a lot to do vs. Ebba now, it was a gamble putting Jacobsen in there off so little racing, Haga's now got about 30 seconds of deficit to make up.

And Haga closed this 30s gap very nicely. To close 30s in 5 kilometers is just phenomenal.
RattaKuningas

17 Feb 2018 11:26

Weng not being in the relay team just wasn't understandable to me, but ofc they still won.
User avatar jsem94

17 Feb 2018 12:02

Wow, Bjorgen beat Nilsson in a 5k, must be almost embarrassing for Stina, momma Bjorgen, 10 years older beats the sprint champ! Exciting race, would not have expected it to be exciting, so pleasantly surprised:)
«Sky helped for the GC, so did BMC - a lot of teams tried but one rider isn't enough. Not against De Gendt. He's like 10 riders.»
Oude Geuze

17 Feb 2018 12:11

Happy Bjorgen beat Nilsson in the end- pet peeve when skiiers don't take their turn up front pulling. Not sure if I'd call it luck or just smart that Bjoergen pushed the pace so Nilsson would be too tired to use her sprint.
Gracey
Newly Registered Member

17 Feb 2018 12:15

TBF I don't think Stina was "doing a Northug", I don't think Marit wanted to let her have a turn on the front because it was only by dictating the pace that Marit could get rid of her. At the intermediate Stina skied up alongside a couple of times to say "I'm still here..."
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

17 Feb 2018 12:50

Björgen did exactly what she needed to. Constant hard pace and attack on the last hill, making the sprint very long. Tbh, I expected she could drop nilsson on the 2nd lap sprint wall, but turns out björgen just destroyed her end kick.

Re: Finns, I think the russians were simply better, especially nepreyeava and belorukova who laid the fpundations, and that is that. Well done to them!

And mäkäräinen will eventually end her career without personal Olympic medal.
User avatar meat puppet

17 Feb 2018 16:59

Any news on the teams for the men's relay? Are Norway going to throw in a can to make it interesting again?
Singer01

Re:

17 Feb 2018 17:03

Singer01 wrote:Any news on the teams for the men's relay? Are Norway going to throw in a can to make it interesting again?

Holund is out, Tønseth is in..
User avatar zapata

Re:

17 Feb 2018 18:32

Singer01 wrote:Any news on the teams for the men's relay? Are Norway going to throw in a can to make it interesting again?

1. Tønseth 2. Sundby 3. Krüeger 4. Klaebo

Hollund out the biggest surprise. Guess Tønseth´s experience in relays and the distance gave him the upper hand. Still a difficult choice.
Norbea

17 Feb 2018 18:47

Italy will have Rastelli early on instead of Nöckler, a bit of a surprise, but Rastelli did a great prologue in the sprint and on the climbs he was actually able to stay with Klaebo, but had really bad skis on the descents and faded in the sprint.
The squad will be Maicol Rastelli, Francesco De Fabiani, Giandomenico Salvadori and Federico Pellegrino, not a bad squad, but I fear that Salvadori will be the weakest link, if Klara was still active it would be a stronger team.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

17 Feb 2018 22:29

on clean white paper or on a dirty white snow, the norwegian team is the strongest. fact. even though they introduced toenseth out of the blue.

yet i expect some surprises. i think the french should not be underrated and if larkov manages to hang on in the 1st leg, his compatriots may even have a gold chance. the answer would come in how well chervotkin recovered from his illness. chervotkin a dark horse, against a known top shape krueger and hellner should be the relay's intrigue. i dont think team sweden has a chance at gold, but a podium is quite likely.

if klaebo gets 30-40 seconds advantage, he can run home with it in my opinion. if say only 20 seconds or equal, i think he's vulnerable to spitsov. BUT...big but, this is only a 10k distance where hanging on by a sprinter should work.

unless, of course, we have a situation similar to the ladies race where stina the sprinter was overtaxed by a top aerobic effort.

cant wait...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

17 Feb 2018 23:49

Now imagine the dream team of Legkov (Vylegzhanin, Bessmetnykh, Japarov), Bolshunov, Ustyugov and Spitsov. It would be an incredible race for gold. This way I think Norway takes it with ease. Russia second, and Sweden in third. I don't see Halfvarsson beating Spitsov.
craig1985 wrote:And BTW, DenisMenchov, smile a bit.
User avatar DenisMenchov

18 Feb 2018 07:02

Larkov and Bolshunov put russia to the drivers seat. Following polto was the key on leg one. Theirs to lose now.
User avatar meat puppet

Re:

18 Feb 2018 08:03

meat puppet wrote:Larkov and Bolshunov put russia to the drivers seat. Following polto was the key on leg one. Theirs to lose now.

yeah, polto seem in shape to take the 50km...still, i would not exclude him being an ethnic russian having a little plan coordinated with the russians

overall, it was one of the more exciting relays i've ever seen. i warned above about the french strength and they delivered (probably b/c they read my post :lol: ). klaebo and kruger gave the norwegians the gold, but i am starting to wonder, having seen their 3d leg weakness, if this would hold true, had the russian team not been beheaded. lets face, it 3 of 4 of their team members today are stil eligible to compete at the junior/u23 level. . whatever..coulda would is not my cup of tea. italy held well for a while, sweden shamed tanked, finland was where i expected them...
User avatar python
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 Feb 2018 08:14

python wrote:
meat puppet wrote:Larkov and Bolshunov put russia to the drivers seat. Following polto was the key on leg one. Theirs to lose now.

yeah, polto seem in shape to take the 50km...still, i would not exclude him being an ethnic russian having a little plan coordinated with the russians

overall, it was one of the more exciting relays i've ever seen. i warned above about the french strength and they delivered (probably b/c they read my post :lol: ). klaebo and kruger gave the norwegians the gold, but i am starting to wonder, having seen their 3d leg weakness, if this would hold true, had the russian team not been beheaded. lets face, it 3 of 4 of their team members today are stil eligible to compete at the junior/u23 level. . whatever..coulda would is not my cup of tea. italy held well for a while, sweden shamed tanked, finland was where i expected them...

Polto needs to be in shape, because Niskanen was 10 sec faster than him today, skiing alone for the whole time. I hope those 2 will make 50km tough race from the beginning.

Sweden was surprisingly bad, seems the Classic skis were horrible with no grip but no slide either. Rickardson lost 1m30s to Niskanen in 10km and that can't be only because of shape.

Too bad for Finns that Hakola got sick, but not sure that changed anything in terms of final rank.
bambino

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

18 Feb 2018 08:22

Well, as expected, Norway got their Gold medal gift. Closer than expected, though. Had Ustiugov been there things would have looked differenty.

The French guy n the 3rd leg is the man of the race. Incredible that he could match Krüger's pace.

The big question: Will Sweden ever return?
User avatar Bavarianrider

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

18 Feb 2018 09:07

Bavarianrider wrote:Well, as expected, Norway got their Gold medal gift. Closer than expected, though. Had Ustiugov been there things would have looked differenty.

The French guy n the 3rd leg is the man of the race. Incredible that he could match Krüger's pace.

The big question: Will Sweden ever return?

Exciting race. First Norse Olympic relay gold since 2002 truly felt as a gift. Swedes had horrible wax problems in the classical legs, but this is certainly the end of a good era for the Swedish men. Hosflot Klaebo an unique talent but also extremely arrogant. Like a boosted Northug in the tracks diminishing his competitiors instead of just beating them.
Discgear

PreviousNext

Return to General