Register

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

16 Feb 2019 18:12

Wierer missed 8? Was she pissed?
Singer01

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

16 Feb 2019 20:44

Watched the sprint from Cogne. First and obvious, not all the top names were there. The top Norwegians and Swedes were missing, in both men and women's fields. This allowed some skiers that normally don't make the heats, to sneak in. The Swedish women's sprint team is VERY deep and talented. It seems that whoever they put on the start will at least make the semis. That bodes well for the upcoming world's, and if not by next week, for the future. Not sure if Nilsson will race in Seefeld. She is on the official Swedish roster, and is out skiing again, but how much did she lose in training and how much pain does she have (if she does)? Again, their team is deep and they may not need her (at all) to fight for gold in the individual sprint and team sprint.

The American women did (predictably well, if we are to be honest) today. It's a skate sprint on a fast course that doesn't have a significant climb and lot's of free skating is involved, something that people like Diggins thrive on. She was forunate, twice, as she was 4th in her quarterfinal heat and 3rd in the semi to advance as LL. Again, the field wasn't as strong. Sandra Ringwald is the first German to get on the podium in a long time. She skied well last week so her form looks like it's going up, but with a the bigger names on the start lines, I don't think she'll replicate today's result nor do I actually think she'll make the final in Seefeld, but it's a sprint and you never know. The Finnish women don't really have anyone that can fight for medals in the sprint events, certainly not on a consistent basis. The Russian women were 'ok' today, but I would be a bit concerned ahead of Seefeld. Granted, they are better classic skiers and I do put them as serious gold medal contenders in the team sprint should they be in shape. The Norwegian women were, as I said, missing those that made the world's team. I have the Swedes as favorites in both sprint events on the women's side.

The Men's side is, if this season's results (and really the previous season or two as well) are any indication, a battle between Pellegrino and Klaebo with Ustiugov, possibly one or two of the Frenchies like Chanavat, Gros, Jouve, another Norwegian or two and another Russian or two (Bolshunov and Retyvikh). Ustiugov fell today. Wasn't 100% clear if he simply stepped over Pellegrino's skis on one of the corners or Pellegrino impeded him, but he lost his chance at a win (I think) today with that fall. I know that was only the quarterfinal but he was looking strong. Though the Russians didn't have the greatest glide on their skis. De Fabiani was probably the biggest surprise. I know he's improved his sprinting and this was his home turf, at altitude, but still, to not only qualify in 7th but to finish second in a skate sprint is pretty impressive, IMO.

The course seems similar to the one they'll ski next week. The weather is supposed to be like it is in Cogne, so freeze overnight but up to 9, 10 degrees Celsius during the day. Will the snow stay hard? The sprints will be held midday, for TV purposes, (we all know that XC lags behind a number of winter sports at the moment), so the conditions may be on the soft side which will no doubt have an impact. Hopefully it's not a slush fest at any point of the championships.
BullsFan22

16 Feb 2019 21:48

Huge performance by Fillon-Maillet.
kingjr

17 Feb 2019 09:32

Hah, Frida Karlsson on her World Cup debut was pushing like insane early on, but paid the price with her youthful exuberance. Smart move to test her out before the world championships to gain some experience.
zarnack

17 Feb 2019 12:58

Bolshunov pulls a Johaug. Good grief.
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry

17 Feb 2019 14:36

It seemed like he was the only one really pushing for it. He needed those 100 points for the Overall battle, others looked like they tested their legs for the Worlds...
craig1985 wrote:And BTW, DenisMenchov, smile a bit.
User avatar DenisMenchov

21 Feb 2019 08:56

The sprint qualis begin in an hour or so. According to the official start list Nilsson will race: http://medias3.fis-ski.com/pdf/2019/CC/4340/2019CC4340QUA.pdf
User avatar meat puppet

21 Feb 2019 12:46

I had my dates mixed up, thought it was next week it started, excellent news. I have my doubts about Nillsson but she has been the class of the season so deserves a medal.
Norway should absolutely piss the overall medal table.
Singer01

21 Feb 2019 14:45

Sergey is dumb as a brick. Would have loved to see him rip Klaebo to shreds after the finish, but he wasnt even able to do that. Well I suppose, they'll have to ban him for the rest of the event, perhaps season.
kingjr

Re:

21 Feb 2019 14:54

kingjr wrote:Sergey is dumb as a brick. Would have loved to see him rip Klaebo to shreds after the finish, but he wasnt even able to do that. Well I suppose, they'll have to ban him for the rest of the event, perhaps season.

Not going to throw a pity party for Ustiugov, but Klaebo is not without blame.
BullsFan22

21 Feb 2019 14:55

Swedes tripped over each other and two medals to Norway... in Sweden's strongest discipline of the championship.
zarnack

Re:

21 Feb 2019 15:00

zarnack wrote:Swedes tripped over each other and two medals to Norway... in Sweden's strongest discipline of the championship.

Next up, the Klaebo/Iversen double?
kingjr

Re:

21 Feb 2019 15:04

kingjr wrote:Sergey is dumb as a brick. Would have loved to see him rip Klaebo to shreds after the finish, but he wasnt even able to do that. Well I suppose, they'll have to ban him for the rest of the event, perhaps season.

In semifinal 1 they were playing cat and mouse. But with skiers like Klaebo, Ustiugov, Pellegrino someone was going to lose out badly. They should have pushed and played for 3rd and 4th going through with lucky loser times. Missed opportunity.
zarnack

21 Feb 2019 15:13

I don't think they can ban him. He only pushed him, not hit Klaebo, yellow card and some fine in my opinion.
craig1985 wrote:And BTW, DenisMenchov, smile a bit.
User avatar DenisMenchov

21 Feb 2019 15:18

Well, okay, the individual sprints are done then.

What concerns team sprints, then I wonder, which 2 is Sweden going to pick? Damn, that's hard choice. And they absolutely have to win the team sprint to redeem themselves. However, the good news is that Nilsson isn't exactly in a bad shape, though not in her peak form either. So chances are she will participate in 4x5 relay and if Karlsson is any good (kind of top 10 performance material), Sweden would be formidable in the long relay.

Of course, it would be an equally hard choice for Norway to choose a partner for Kläbo for the men's team sprint. Assuming it is going to be Iversen, I assume he won't be put for the final leg, considering, what happened in Lahti!

The good news for Russia is that Ustiugov appears to be in good shape, so one would have to take him into serious consideration in the other disciplines. Except I guess he is unlikely to participate in 15 km, which would probably be between Niskanen and Bolshunov and maybe some Norwegian on his day.
zarnack

Re:

21 Feb 2019 15:21

DenisMenchov wrote:I don't think they can ban him. He only pushed him, not hit Klaebo, yellow card and some fine in my opinion.

anybody got a link?
Singer01

21 Feb 2019 15:21

The French men were a bit like the Swedish and Slovenian women today. Excellent skate sprinters, a course that's really good for them, two men in the final, including their strongest one (literally and figuratively) and they lose out. They have a chance in the relay and Manificat has a shot in the skiathlon and the of course the 50km skate, but this was a really good opportunity missed for them. Pity.

Pellegrino just didn't quite have it today, plus Klaebo skis were rockets, again.

Ustiugov, yeah, not the smartest race from him in the semis and I feel he had a real shot to beat Klaebo for gold today, but hopefully he cools off and prepares for the rest of the races, where he'll have plenty of chances to win medals, but today's result hurts, especially the way the semifinal transpired. He skied like Halfvarsson, worrying about others rather than focusing on his own race. Another pity. Good for Retivykh. He's been around for ages, even though he's only 27. Seems to always be there or there about's, making the semis, finals, capable of getting on the podium in both classic and skate, so finally he got to a championship final and got his first podium. That said, this was his second championship start. No Sochi, no Pyeongchang, no Val Di Fiemme, no Falun...only Lahti before this. Wonder who the Russians will put in the team sprint with Bolshunov. I would be shocked if he wasn't on the team. Probably wise to sit him out and rest him for the team sprint. He isn't going to fight for a medal (i don't think) in the skiathlon unless the pack really breaks apart in the classic portion with him and guys like Niskanen piling on the pressure.

Kind of worried about the weather. Snow there tonight and most of tomorrow, but should freeze and make for good conditions for Saturday and Sunday. After that it could be a slush fest. Temperatures of up to 12 degrees celsius expected next week. It's way too early in the season for that sort of weather, especially in the heart of the Alps.
BullsFan22

Re:

21 Feb 2019 15:38

zarnack wrote:Well, okay, the individual sprints are done then.

What concerns team sprints, then I wonder, which 2 is Sweden going to pick? Damn, that's hard choice. And they absolutely have to win the team sprint to redeem themselves. However, the good news is that Nilsson isn't exactly in a bad shape, though not in her peak form either. So chances are she will participate in 4x5 relay and if Karlsson is any good (kind of top 10 performance material), Sweden would be formidable in the long relay.

Of course, it would be an equally hard choice for Norway to choose a partner for Kläbo for the men's team sprint. Assuming it is going to be Iversen, I assume he won't be put for the final leg, considering, what happened in Lahti!

The good news for Russia is that Ustiugov appears to be in good shape, so one would have to take him into serious consideration in the other disciplines. Except I guess he is unlikely to participate in 15 km, which would probably be between Niskanen and Bolshunov and maybe some Norwegian on his day.

The Swedes I think will go with Nilsson. She is not at her best, that's true, but they need her experience and strength. I am assuming that Dahlqvist is the other choice, unless of course the reason for Ingemarsdotter not racing today was to rest her for the team sprint, but perhaps unlikely. What's interesting is that both Dahlqvist and Nilsson have good finishing ability, almost equal, so who do they put in as anchor?

The other women are better in skate, Falk (though she's hardly bad at classic, having finished 5th in Pyeongchang), Sundling definitely better in skate...The other options would be a 'universal' skier, but that's highly unlikely.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Swedish men today. I know that the sprints would give them more hope than distance races, but to see Thorn winning the qualification and Halfvarsson also figuring in, plus Svensson, who actually got the farthest today, it gives them hope for the team sprint. The distance races hinge on Halfvarsson, in my opinion.

Yes definitely no Ustiugov in the 15km classic. That would be a total waste of energy and a waste of a spot, IMHO. They'll have 4 strong guys that can challenge for medals. No reason to put him in his weakest discipline, an individual distance classic race. If his skis are working well in the skiathlon, he'll be one of the top favorites. There's no doubt about that. He's in good form, and as I said earlier, had a realistic shot of winning today but sometimes sprints are a lottery. Definitely the relay and 50km skate, and judging by the skiathlon, the team sprint with, likely, Bolshunov. Hopefully he channels the anger nicely and gets revenge in the next race(s).
BullsFan22

21 Feb 2019 15:48

Watched a slow mo of the Ustiugov Klaebo incident. I don't blame Ustiugov for reacting the way he did. Klaebo the coward is DEFINITELY not without blame, but we know that FIS doesn't have cojones to give wonderboy, or indeed any top Norwegian a yellow or a straight DQ for any infringement or unsportsmanlike maneuvers. I would have been pissed as well. And Skar, what was his problem with Ustiugov? Sticking up for wonderboy?
BullsFan22

21 Feb 2019 15:50

BullsFan22 wrote:Watched a slow mo of the Ustiugov Klaebo incident. I don't blame Ustiugov for reacting the way he did. Klaebo the coward is DEFINITELY not without blame, but we know that FIS doesn't have cojones to give wonderboy, or indeed any top Norwegian a yellow or a straight DQ for any infringement or unsportsmanlike maneuvers. I would have been pissed as well. And Skar, what was his problem with Ustiugov? Sticking up for wonderboy?
Um, isn't that the normal reaction for a teammate?
kingjr

PreviousNext

Return to General