Register

Chess! Do you play?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

30 Nov 2016 21:57

...some exciting stuff is happening as i type. they have just finished the 2 rapid games of the 4.

in both games magnus had held a a tangible advantage. he was ahead both positionally and time wise.
in the rapid game 2 he was at one point 11 minutes ahead (mind you, out of a total 50 mins). yet karjakin coolly played the incremental rule (10 sec per move) to achieve a final time score almost equal or basically equal where carlsen - as expected - had not expected karjakin to find a draw. \

we now have the rapid game 3...of a total 4 before the blitz. what i have gleaned it is still a theoretical draw. means nothing a short time commitment can produce ANYTHING...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

30 Dec 2016 20:51

sorry for boosting the thread as i think no more than 5 or so members read it...

...i thought it is news worthy that TODAY in doha karjakin became a world blitz chess champion winning over magnus , who defeated serhey in the classic title match in nyc this nov.. serhey won their personal game as well as the overall tournament, though they accumulated the same total points. the karjakin win over carlsen was achieved via his opponent's blunder. but that's what the blitz is - a 3minute fury of thoughts and mistakes.

interestingly, carlsen confirmed his exceptional class by placing 3d in the rapid and 2nd in the blitz. also curious is that karjakin has now added a blitz world champion title to his 2012 world rapid title while being the #2 in the classic chess. a collection of the world titles only second to that of magnus. i feel karjakin is like putin, his boss, a slow and a deliberate steam roller.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

30 Dec 2016 21:08

Was funny to see Carlsen rage about Wojtaszek, forgetting that he was equally lucky when Jobava blundered both the win and the draw against him.
kingjr

Previous

Return to General