Register

Chess! Do you play?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

18 Feb 2013 11:28

the asian wrote:A good knowledge of openings is a must if you play at a competitive level. Especially in games which have time controls.

Oh I know them and how to counter them..It doesn't make sense why I don't use them, but I don't enjoy playing competitively and so attempt to tone down the competitiveness.
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19

18 Feb 2013 23:03

Eshnar wrote:Are there chess players in here?
Are you a professional?
Amateur?
Do you play only once per year?
This is the thread for you :)
We could also play against each other online! Or make a CN tournament :D

PS
I'm an amateur, lately I started studying some theory (never did before) but overall I suck. :p

A little. Just learned the rules cca 3 years ago, but I like it. My level is about level 4. playing Chess Titans in Windows Vista. Id like to try a game with you somewhere on web.
User avatar plooton

13 Aug 2016 16:21

I'll probably lose, but I wouldn't mind having a game against Esh or someone else :p PS:Esh, where's Parlulzo?
Last edited by Netserk on 13 Aug 2016 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

13 Aug 2016 16:23

I have my good days and my bad days, but I'm a reasonably good player.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

13 Aug 2016 16:23

Nets' been training since 2013, now he's ready and thought it was time to necro the thread. :p

edit: don't play him via computer, he probably hacked everything. :D
''The battle between Démare and Bouhanni for being France's best sprinter is decided: it's Coquard.'' - BBB
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

13 Aug 2016 17:54

Whilst I do apreciate the thinking behind chess, I've never gotten further than the rules and how to play the first 3 turns basically. We always played card games at home if we were playing games.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

13 Aug 2016 21:57

I play chess. Doesn't suit me too well due to my poor attention span.

Has anyone ever played "Go" and can compare the 2?
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

13 Aug 2016 23:36

The Hitch wrote:I play chess. Doesn't suit me too well due to my poor attention span.

Has anyone ever played "Go" and can compare the 2?

I played it a bit but never put any effort to really understand it, so I can't really compare, beside saying that it's completely different :p
Netserk wrote:I'll probably lose, but I wouldn't mind having a game against Esh or someone else :p PS:Esh, where's Parlulzo?

In the OP three years ago I said I was an amateur, and I still am :o I play on the ICC if you want... I also had an account on chess.com but haven't used it in years.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

14 Aug 2016 07:27

I have just signed up on lichess.org. I think it's way more fun to play against someone you 'know' than the computer or a random internet dude, so if you're up for it, it'd be fun ;)

Do you think our lazy Portuguese friend play?
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

14 Aug 2016 12:17

Netserk wrote:I have just signed up on lichess.org. I think it's way more fun to play against someone you 'know' than the computer or a random internet dude, so if you're up for it, it'd be fun ;)

Do you think our lazy Portuguese friend play?

next week ;)
No clue about Parrulo. He's been busy in real life lately iirc.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

15 Aug 2016 12:44

Used to play years ago, on a team, then hadn't in ages, started playing again online lichess, all 10 or 5 minute games, managed to get my ranking up to over 1900 briefly but dropped back a bit now around 1700.
del1962
Veteran

11 Nov 2016 12:11

...thought it is time to resuscitate this thread.

today starts a world championship match between a norwegian and a russian, carlsen vs karjakin.

they will play 12 games. most predict that carlsen should win w/o much effort since his rating is much higher.

both are 26, both were prodigies with kajakin becoming the youngest ever grand master at the age of 12 and 7 months... fisher for instance got his gm at 15. there are some curious details, both technical and political, that may interfere.

on the technical level, carlsen leads their personal score 5:1 in full-length games (with 15 or 16 draws). he also is considered irresistible when the position acquires clarity rendering itself to his superior analytical machinery. otoh, i believe karjakin leads magnus in their rapid chess score. he is also considered slightly superior (by some) when the game is still complex and full of options and uncertainties. as always at their level, the home preparation in terms of surprise openings will play a huge role. in that regard, thier support staff will be important. that's where the political dimension may play out.

if i am not mistaken, kasparov (who hates everything putin) is the member of the carlsen staff. on the other hand, per reuters, serhey was born in the part of ukraine (the crimea) that become russia 2 yo and he reportedly was very enthusiastic about the fact. also and incomprehensibly, b/c of the us sanctions, the current president of fide (a russian) could NOT be present in nyc at the opening.

i need to do more reading on who else is the member of each team.

i understand, one can follow the match live, i plan to, including a visit to the seaport district

http://nyc2016.fide.com/
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

11 Nov 2016 13:17

11 draws, one win for one of them.

I really hope I'm wrong.
kingjr

Re:

11 Nov 2016 16:40

kingjr wrote:11 draws, one win for one of them.

I really hope I'm wrong.
the absolute majority of the professionals predict carlsen will not take all 12 games to win...while i love chess and played competitively one time, i simply dont have the base to predict on my own analysis.

here's the most excellent, balanced and well referenced analysis, prediction and some history. well worth the read. the author's injection of the history parallels is just fascinating.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/speelman-how-will-karjakin-fare-against-carlsen
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

11 Nov 2016 19:57

A 'Trumpowsky' by Carlsen. How very topical :D
kingjr

11 Nov 2016 23:30

...1st game ended about 20 minutes ago. a draw. carlsen was white. was aggressive from the get-go. the commentary i saw called his position sharper thrugh the middle of the game. at some point he was also considerably ahead on the clock. but karjakin was defending stubbornly. i followed live only last 10 or so moves. it was clearly a psychological war. such a clearly drawn position would produce a hand shake as an official draw well before it did. the players were waiting for WHO will offer a draw or who will indicate it by repeating the moves 3 times. when carlsen indicated he'd agree to a repetition draw the russian declined forcing carlsen to offer an explicit draw.

a draw with blacks and forcing carlsen to offer a draw is a good start for karjakin. tomorrow he plays white. one of only 6 attacking possibilities. he is very likely to produce a surprise opening prepared at home with the help of supercomputers and his team analysts. magnus, historically, has often been slow getting up to speed in terms of getting his best game. if he defends well tomorrow, i say he's a clear fave.
User avatar python
Veteran

12 Nov 2016 21:56

2 draws down, 9 to go
kingjr

13 Nov 2016 11:03

the 2nd game was not exciting at all, as both stuck to safe lines avoiding risk and uncertainty. while carlsen playing black was understandably trying to equalize the position before taking over the initiative, i was surprised
why karjakin did not resort to any sharp swerves from the book earlier. carlsen never stepped on a home prepped mine, b/c....there was none. perhaps karjakin will use one later, but for now he wasted one of his 6 best opportunities. today they are off to resume on monday...

i did try to follow the game with several portals, but found the following one superior.
https://chess24.com/en/wcc2016
2 young grand masters provide both the live as-they-play commentary and a post-game detailed analysis. and it is free. another good live commentary is by polgar. she's even funny sometimes.

---
here's susan polgar for a variety..
https://chessdailynews.com/karjakin-carlsen-gm-2-live-commentary/
User avatar python
Veteran

14 Nov 2016 21:51

they are on a 3d game as i type...looks like the most tense game so far.

2:45 into the game, 25 moves made and karjakin is already taking about 20 min to make his 25 th move (black). he may get into a time trouble if he does not move soon. he is under pressure...

the position is theoretically equal with the initiative is strongly in the hands of carlsen. the portal i follow (chess24.com) leans towards carlsen advantage, but no clear path seen to a win. while i was typing they made 4 moves...
User avatar python
Veteran

14 Nov 2016 22:17

This kind of position is Carlsen's bread and butter. I think he's gonna win.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General