Register

Chess! Do you play?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

27 Nov 2018 15:44

Eshnar wrote:
Red Rick wrote:But then again maybe right now I'm that ignorant fool who whines when nothing interesting happens in the first 200km of Milano Sanremo

No, today was really really bad. Never thought I would see Carlsen offer a draw in that situation. Everybody was quite shocked.

Former champion Vladimir Kramnik's words about Carlsen's draw offer in game 12:

"Let me tell the first word which comes to my mind: It’s a shame…He’s just better without any risk. How can you offer a draw? This is out of the question for me. He can offer a draw any time — in 10-15 minutes. It’s just absurd — something is wrong with Magnus. I have a feeling he cannot withhold the pressure. He’s a great chess player but this is not the way you play a World Championship. You have to fight, especially in such positions. It’s frankly showing such a weakness.

"I can understand if he would be one point ahead, and maybe offer a draw in this position, but maybe not. It’s just absurd. I’m completely shocked."

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-championship-2018-game-12
shalgo

Re:

27 Nov 2018 15:46

Red Rick wrote:Is Carlsen really that much of a favorite in faster games?

Yes, he is. As mentioned in the link below, Carlsen's rating is only 12 points better than Caruana's at classical time controls, while it is 91 points better in rapid and 172 points better in blitz.

https://issuu.com/newinchess/docs/newinchess-2018_8_the_blitz_whisper?e=7589593/66037159
shalgo

27 Nov 2018 16:06

when applied to fast chess, not everyone considers the elo rating as accurate as in the classic chess...

the inventor of the rating himself warned fide that he was against the use of his system in fast chess. he was not listened to.

as in any intellectual endeavor, a person can improve considerably via lots of practice. but, as karpov once noted, there are great grand masters that just were not meant for fast chess.

i dont know whether caruana falls under the karpov spell...i do know than magnus definately does NOT and has proven himself being a very fast and nimble player. holding or having held both fast titles to boot .
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

28 Nov 2018 16:12

True to form, Carlsen wins the first rapid game after Caruana misses a key move (37...Ra2+) in the rook endgame. There are still three more games in the rapid mini-match, however.
shalgo

28 Nov 2018 17:08

Two rapid wins in a row for Carlsen. He will now retain the world championship if he can get even one draw out of the next two games.
shalgo

Re:

28 Nov 2018 17:09

shalgo wrote:Two rapid wins in a row for Carlsen. He will now retain the world championship if he can get even one draw out of the next two games.

That would be 0 wins out of 15 if Caruana doesn't win the next game?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

28 Nov 2018 18:23

Red Rick wrote:
shalgo wrote:Two rapid wins in a row for Carlsen. He will now retain the world championship if he can get even one draw out of the next two games.

That would be 0 wins out of 15 if Caruana doesn't win the next game?

Yes; Carlsen won the third rapid game, thus ending the match without a victory for Caruana.

Caruana is not the first player to go an entire world championship match without winning a game; Kasparov didn't win any in his match with Kramnik in 2000, for example.
shalgo

28 Nov 2018 18:30

Carlsen might test positive for smoking Caruana
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

28 Nov 2018 21:20

Red Rick wrote:Carlsen might test positive for smoking Caruana

Clinc talk! Admin! Admin! :D

Hail the king! - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2018/nov/28/magnus-carlsen-v-fabiano-caruana-world-chess-championship-tie-breakers-live
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Occam's razor - the best a man can get!
User avatar Robert5091

03 Dec 2018 11:11

Some are saying the reason Carlsen offered the draw from an advantageous position was because he wanted to get to the rapid games asap as he know he had the edge in that.
del1962
Veteran

Previous

Return to General