Log in:  

Register

Really? No Baseball Thread?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

21 Jun 2015 17:45

Amsterhammer wrote:No one has pitched consecutive scoreless complete games since 1944. The feat has only been done five times, the other three were before 1944.


Ofc, if we ignore Don, Fernando and Orel :rolleyes:

But hey, dismiss that as CT, and believe in your pre-1945 stats (that includes "in general things")

For all the others;

Drysdale 1968:
9.0 2 0 0 3 7
9.0 5 0 0 2 6
9.0 5 0 0 0 8
9.0 6 0 0 2 6
9.0 6 0 0 2 7
9.0 3 0 0 0 8
= 6 consecutive CG shutouts

Valenzuela 1981:
9.0 5 0 0 0 10
9.0 7 0 0 3 11
9.0 7 0 0 4 7
= 3 consecutive CG shutouts

Hershiser 1988:
9.0 4 0 0 1 8
9.0 7 0 0 3 8
9.0 6 0 0 2 8
9.0 4 0 0 0 5
9.0 5 0 0 2 2
= 5 consecutive CG shutouts
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,378
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 12:35
Location: Germany

21 Jun 2015 18:06

#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,924
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 08:29
Location: Amsterdam

21 Jun 2015 18:13

Then write "allowing 1 hit or fewer in consecutive CG shutouts", and not "consecutive scoreless complete games". Don´t use your politics thread tactics (twisting words into a different meaning; that is miss-leading readers*) even in a Baseball forum.

* Here it is harmless. In politic forums it is character assasination.
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,378
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 12:35
Location: Germany

21 Jun 2015 18:15

I can understand that sometimes a batter might freeze when the ball is coming at him and take the pitch. But to me, Tabata was looking that pitch in and all of a sudden dropped his elbow into the trajectory of the ball. Definitely a gray area in the rules, but I would also say no HBP. The sound wasn't on for the game, so I didn't understand what the whole chocolate syrup thing was during the celebration.

EDIT, the stat record was clarified.
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,261
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

21 Jun 2015 18:56

Not only did the guy not make effort to get out of the way, it looked to me like he leaned into the damn thing. I understand wanting to avoid being on the wrong end of history and watching yourself on highlight reels for years to come as the last out in a perfect game, but c'mon, man.
Do your best to break up the perfect game with a hit. Don't be all bush league about it.
p.s. djpbaltimore: I'm assuming you're an Orioles fan.
Today the Orioles tallied 7 runs against the Jays in front of a full house in the 2nd inning. Pretty much everyone thought the game was over, until the jays scored 6 in the bottom half of the inning, and have added 3 more. What a game.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,263
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

21 Jun 2015 19:06

No game is out of reach with the way the Jays are swinging the bats. It also helps that most of the Oriole's pitchers are pretty mediocre. I would watch it on TV, but there are so many good futbol matches on this afternoon.
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,261
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

22 Jun 2015 14:03

#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,924
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 08:29
Location: Amsterdam

Re:

22 Jun 2015 14:42

Amsterhammer wrote:https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/C68321B0D01224171287409496064_38a2d4e5c3f.4.1.6370279056239855230.mp4?versionId=GT5VCK_YKz.R.Rh0oHCR4bAhaPvg1nni

All the evidence needed.

I had not seen it like that before. I only watched that live during the ESPN feed that switched over during the 9th inning. Having seen this now I agree with you Tabata looks like he dips his arm down and not away to get hit by the pitch. That could have started a brawl.

I still think these guys need to take the armor off. Even if Patrick makes fun of me again!
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,307
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

23 Sep 2015 13:39

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Genius.

RIP Yogi Berra, truly one of a kind.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,924
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 08:29
Location: Amsterdam

Re:

23 Sep 2015 14:13

Amsterhammer wrote:"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Genius.

RIP Yogi Berra, truly one of a kind.


Amster, make sure you go to Yogi's funeral, 'cause if you don't, he might not go to yours.

It really does get late out there early.
Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,741
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

Re: Re:

23 Sep 2015 14:16

Merckx index wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Genius.

RIP Yogi Berra, truly one of a kind.


Amster, make sure you go to Yogi's funeral, 'cause if you don't, he might not go to yours.

It really does get late out there early.


When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,924
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 08:29
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Re:

23 Sep 2015 14:22

Merckx index wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Genius.

RIP Yogi Berra, truly one of a kind.


Amster, make sure you go to Yogi's funeral, 'cause if you don't, he might not go to yours.

It really does get late out there early.

"Déjà vu all over again"

Yogi RIP
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,307
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

23 Sep 2015 16:55

ITS BETTER TO BE DEAD THAN NOT LIVING!

RIP Yogi!
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,056
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

23 Sep 2015 17:17

"It ain't over till it's over"

I guess it's over.

A little factoid for you. Yogi Berra has more World Series rings than anyone in history, at 10. Add 3 more as a coach. To add to that, 21 times he went to the big dance as a player or manager. Astounding.

The great Babe Ruth went to less than half. Winning 4 with the Yankees, and 3 with the Red Sox, losing 3 more with the Bronx Bombers.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,159
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

29 Sep 2015 18:58

With the exception of a few years as a teen when it was available to me on tv and I was able watch, baseball has been a sport that I've only ever had a passing interest in, however after being on my netflix watch list for a while now I've just got round to seeing the documentary film 'The Battered Bastards of Baseball' and I recommend it to any who've not yet seen it.

For those that may not know the history, in the early 70's, Portland lost it's (AAA) baseball team the Portland Beavers to Spokane, and seeing an opportunity to indulge his love of baseball in steps actor Bing Russell (father of Kurt) who decided to set up an independent baseball club the Portland Mavericks, shunning the Major League farm system they held try outs and hired ex-major league players, those who failed to make the grade and maybe even some who had never really tried in the first place and together they managed to form one of the most successful teams on the field and also one of the most supported teams off it anywhere outside of the majors, some of antics, characters and players including Jim Boulton (author of Ball Four) was naturally not well received by corporate.

Even the end of the team is pure hollywood, I'm really not sure how well known the story of the Portland Mav's is but it was the first time I'd came across it and again if you've not seen it then it's worth the effort.
User avatar The Principal Sheep
Member
 
Posts: 633
Joined: 02 Apr 2013 09:10

Re:

30 Sep 2015 14:03

The Principal Sheep wrote:With the exception of a few years as a teen when it was available to me on tv and I was able watch, baseball has been a sport that I've only ever had a passing interest in, however after being on my netflix watch list for a while now I've just got round to seeing the documentary film 'The Battered Bastards of Baseball' and I recommend it to any who've not yet seen it.

For those that may not know the history, in the early 70's, Portland lost it's (AAA) baseball team the Portland Beavers to Spokane, and seeing an opportunity to indulge his love of baseball in steps actor Bing Russell (father of Kurt) who decided to set up an independent baseball club the Portland Mavericks, shunning the Major League farm system they held try outs and hired ex-major league players, those who failed to make the grade and maybe even some who had never really tried in the first place and together they managed to form one of the most successful teams on the field and also one of the most supported teams off it anywhere outside of the majors, some of antics, characters and players including Jim Boulton (author of Ball Four) was naturally not well received by corporate.

Even the end of the team is pure hollywood, I'm really not sure how well known the story of the Portland Mav's is but it was the first time I'd came across it and again if you've not seen it then it's worth the effort.


Agree, very good documentary..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,007
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

13 Oct 2015 23:59

The dream lives on! :cool: :D

GO CUBBIES!!

Bttf2 *taps side of nose knowingly*
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,924
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 08:29
Location: Amsterdam

14 Oct 2015 23:02

Go Cubs!
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,159
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

15 Oct 2015 16:35

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Go Cubs!


I'm all for the Cubs winning the World Series. But not this year.
I do not want to see a Blue Jays-Cubs match-up. The part of my heart that bleeds would be pulling for the Cubs.
User avatar the delgados
Member
 
Posts: 1,263
Joined: 02 May 2009 02:38
Location: Toronto

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2015 23:14

the delgados wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:Go Cubs!


I'm all for the Cubs winning the World Series. But not this year.
I do not want to see a Blue Jays-Cubs match-up. The part of my heart that bleeds would be pulling for the Cubs.


No, it has to be this year.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,924
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 08:29
Location: Amsterdam

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Back to top