Register

F1 2014

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

21 Mar 2014 02:25

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:Didn´t know Irvine talked so bad about Mansell. I mean Irvine. A 2nd tier racer who accomplished next to nothing.
Mansell OTOH was great before his F1 title in the superior Williams car.
He had inconceivable bad luck. Tires exploding in the last round, emty fuel in last round, late crashes and what else.... He certainly deserved a championship for all the things that happened before.

Andretti flopping in F1 is true. OTOH, some made it (Villeneuve, Montoya to some extend). Still, the talent level might be less in the US. OTOH, what´s it worth to have the best drivers in the F1, if the cars and No1-contracts only decide championships? Nothing!

I prefer true metal, and true racing...

It was in his book years back. I remember he had a regular column in The Sun newspaper while he was a driver and he wasn't pulling punches in it either.

The only thing that was anyway reminiscent of the past was a bit of the Montoya and Schumacher battles for a period. Neither of them would yield an inch and Austria one year springs to mind.
User avatar gooner

30 Aug 2014 20:11

Anyone seen the movie "Rush" by the great Ron Howard?
One of the best movies I saw this year. Rate it 9/10...
And it showed me why I once loved the F-1, and why I completely stopped to even follow it on newspapers.
The safety-first-and-above-all-approach killed everything*, literally everything.
Back in the days, drivers decided... and they earned their pay with every inch of their body...

* Race tracks got cut by half, overtaking stopped completely, and else we talked about before...
I don´t favour deaths on racetracks, but the safety approach got out of hand: No more long enough straights, each racetrack looking like the other, computers help the driver in everything... basically it´s like starting and landing a 747. In between it´s machine control, and nitpicker behind a screen deciding the outcomes.

If the younger guys wanna know what real F-1 meant, they should watch this movie...
Daniel Brühl was just awesome. It´s like you watch the real Niki Lauda. And even better off are those who watch it in german language. Perfect accent imitation by Brühl.
I watched many auto racing movies. The most were complete crap (the movie "LeMans" for example was somewhat good, "Driven" OTOH was a disaster, may the worst of all). But "Rush" one is above them all. Even Lauda himself was impressed. Strongly recommended.
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

09 Sep 2014 09:15

gooner wrote:I was a huge fan of it throughout the 90s. There was some great characters even outside of the obvious ones with guys like Berger and Alesi. I agree with Foxxy, no one cared in Europe for the Indy and I followed all the races for a couple of years specifically because of Mansell going over there to ride for Paul Newman's team. They had some drivers back then as well, Bobby Rahal, Al Unser Jnr, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mansell's teammate Mario Andretti. Michael Andretti switched over to F1 at the time to be Senna's teammate and he flopped hugely. Those were the days.

I remember Eddie Irvine saying Mansell and Hill won second rate titles on the back of technological superiority over others. I still respect Hill for his win when he was at Jordan but as the years went on with rule changes, I got completely fed up and I don't see the drivers of today with the same charisma as the ones of the previous eras.

Remember when Alesi was at Benetton and forgot to pit (Australia I think) despite the team holding out boards telling him to, and then running out of fuel the next lap?
TheSpud

29 Sep 2014 23:43

Strongly recommended. True open wheel racing at its best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1klmtsWQA

And here from the audience view, going to climax:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_HL2l4v2M
Veteran

03 Nov 2014 00:09

Didnt make it to watch NFL today, and there was no good movie on TV, so I decided to watch*... F1 :eek:
What a great race that was... not. Boring from start to finish. It annoyed me sooo much I looked for better racing, turned to youtube... watching Indy 500 of this year. Wow, wow, wow... the final 8 laps were more thrilling than 10 years of F1. Thanks Indy, you saved my day. That was true racing. :)

* Big mistake that wont happen again. For sure... What a farce.
Veteran

03 Nov 2014 13:09

Was actually a very good race with lots of overtaking throughout the midfield. Of course we only need to look at the viewing figures to see Germans only enjoy watching sport they win without being challenged.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

18 Nov 2014 08:21

I thought i would bump this up for the final race. I cannot wait im so nervous as a Hamilton fan he deserves it imo he as had the most unreliability and is still ahead has 10 wins to 5.

Scenario's are

Rosberg wins, Hamilton must be 2nd.

Rosberg 2nd, Hamilton no lower than 6th

I hope Hamilton plays it safe the car is so much faster than the rest they should dail the engine down and get to the finish. So annoying the double points for this race, Hamilton could be champion with 5th place instead which is alot more margin for error.
Froome is the man get prepared for this in the next few years he is the best GT rider for long time.
User avatar TANK91

18 Nov 2014 19:07

TANK91 wrote:I thought i would bump this up for the final race. I cannot wait im so nervous as a Hamilton fan he deserves it imo he as had the most unreliability and is still ahead has 10 wins to 5.

Scenario's are

I hope Hamilton plays it safe the car is so much faster than the rest they should dail the engine down and get to the finish. So annoying the double points for this race, Hamilton could be champion with 5th place instead which is alot more margin for error.

man,at least we have something in common,Im a Lewis fan too :D
will be nervous too on sunday,fingers crossed:)

good old days :)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

18 Nov 2014 22:58

Can't wait for Sundays race. I just hope this double points nonsense does not ruin it. If Nico wins it outright and Lewis finishes worse than 5th then fair enough but not just because of the double points.

I will be happy for Lewis to just cruise round in 2nd and take the title, no need to get in a battle with Rosberg, go Lewis!!!
User avatar Pricey_sky

18 Nov 2014 23:11

TANK91 wrote:I thought i would bump this up for the final race. I cannot wait im so nervous as a Hamilton fan he deserves it imo he as had the most unreliability and is still ahead has 10 wins to 5.

Scenario's are

I think the double points issue is a bit of a red herring. If Hamilton finishes the race he wont be lower than second as those Mercedes cars are a country mile ahead of anything else on the track in perfromance terms. The only issue is reliability and if Hamilton fails to finish then Roseberg would take the championship with a win regardless of the scoring system.
Swifty's Cakes

18 Nov 2014 23:26

ILovecycling wrote:man,at least we have something in common,Im a Lewis fan too :D
will be nervous too on sunday,fingers crossed:)

good old days :)

Yes he is my fav sportsman in all sports, i watch every f1 race, practise the lot. When Hamilton crashes i turn off haha. I just pray he gets the deserved 2nd title. This will make him a legend really winning two WC in two diff cars.
Froome is the man get prepared for this in the next few years he is the best GT rider for long time.
User avatar TANK91

18 Nov 2014 23:29

Swifty's Cakes wrote:I think the double points issue is a bit of a red herring. If Hamilton finishes the race he wont be lower than second as those Mercedes cars are a country mile ahead of anything else on the track in perfromance terms. The only issue is reliability and if Hamilton fails to finish then Roseberg would take the championship with a win regardless of the scoring system.

I agree they have an advantage but Hamilton has no margin for error, he could have been 5th and cruised completely with 2nd he knows he can not make mistakes. Ros is lucky to be in with a shot anyway, Spa was disgraceful. Perez wrecked Sutil's race in USA and got a drive through and and a 7 place grid drop, Ros got nothing for Spa.
User avatar TANK91

21 Nov 2014 12:47

Check this out folks,watch Button's reaction lol. Ros of all people thinks Hamilton needs to race clean lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8EzqjKg4lM&feature=youtu.be
User avatar TANK91

24 Nov 2014 04:06

A little disappointing that reliability ruined Rosberg's race but let's face it, Lewis had his measure there and is a deserved world champion. 11 wins v 5 wins does not lie and the best man won.

Credit to Rosberg for his very classy reaction, his attitude in defeat really impressed me.

Looking forward to another tough battle next season and hopefully Hamilton becomes a triple world champion! with Mercedes holding all the aces when it comes to engine power it will take a massive effort from the other teams to catch up.
User avatar Pricey_sky

25 Nov 2014 12:28

Pricey_sky wrote:A little disappointing that reliability ruined Rosberg's race but let's face it, Lewis had his measure there and is a deserved world champion. 11 wins v 5 wins does not lie and the best man won.

Credit to Rosberg for his very classy reaction, his attitude in defeat really impressed me.

Looking forward to another tough battle next season and hopefully Hamilton becomes a triple world champion! with Mercedes holding all the aces when it comes to engine power it will take a massive effort from the other teams to catch up.

Thats true,right from the start.
Congrats Lewis!:)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

29 Nov 2014 16:18

Pricey_sky wrote:Lewis had his measure there and is a deserved world champion. 11 wins v 5 wins does not lie and the best car(s) won.

Corrected for you. ;)
I guess you agree with it since only 2 teams collected wins in a 19-race-season. Even worse; 16 of those 19 races were won by one team.
Conclusion: It basically was a 2-men-championship. That means there was a 50% chance for either Hamilton or Rosberg to be crowned in the end. The mere act of stepping into the F-1-Mercedes assured that.
I am sure a Boeing-747-Pilot would also have made it to either being the champ or runner-up (if he would have been put into one of the two F-1-Mercedes-cars)... Nothing special.
Veteran

29 Nov 2014 16:37

For comparison, had a quick look at the other major open wheel auto racing competition:

IndyCarSeries 2014:

Indeed the best driver won there: Will Power (with 3 GP wins).
Some stats; 11 (!!) different drivers won in the 18-Race-Season.
7 different teams won a race...

Actually it was a full blown competition (like it should be) where talent actually mattered...
Veteran

29 Nov 2014 22:15

F1 cars are the most technologically advanced, fastest, most beautiful cars in racing...and the racing is as boring as watching two flies f*&k.
[SIZE="3"]Not sure I even care anymore...[/SIZE]
User avatar ChewbaccaD
Veteran

29 Nov 2014 22:42

ChewbaccaD wrote:F1 cars are the most technologically advanced, fastest, most beautiful cars in racing...

I agree, but the last one...
I think the new designs of the Indy cars have something "sexy"... I don´t know what, but I like them very much, may because it´s no more true open wheel since that mega accident in LV a couple of years ago.

ChewbaccaD wrote:... and the racing is as boring as watching two flies f*&k.

Agree 100%... or how about that: As boring as watching a 747 landing in an airport covered by fog. :D
Veteran

30 Nov 2014 22:11

Indy's arent bad, Nascar either, those fights after the race,and commentators are best in the world :D,racing is worse last couple of years tho...

duhh, why is foxxxy banned,thats ridiculous:o
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General