Register

legalising drugs , why not?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re:

20 Apr 2017 19:23

jmdirt wrote:Since its 4/20 today:

Can we all agree that anyone using the rhetoric "pot its a gateway drug" should be ignored. Dropped the canned blah-blah and show us some data. Since there isn't any, maybe they can use the data on beer being a gateway drug.

I think it can be a gateway drug, but not for the reasons usually given. Nowadays to buy weed you have to go to a drug dealer. More often than not he will sell other drugs apart from weed. To smoke it, some people end up spending more time with people who take coke and maybe even heroin, and eventually do so themselves. In other words, it can be a gateway drug because of who you have to frequent and associate with to buy it.

Make it legal and this doesn't happen anymore, as it is available in pharmacies and whatever.

Anyway, I see blutto is legally permitted to post high now :p
Brullnux

20 Apr 2017 21:02

As I noted in another thread, the real hurdle that still needs to be cleared is allowing medical marijuana in every state. Right now, just 28 states have it legal. We're talking cancer patients, people with AIDS, glaucoma, chronic pain, tumors, etc. It's almost exclusively "red" states that forbid this still for some stupid reason.

While only a couple years old, Colorado's laws have shown almost no negative issues with use. In the first year they raised about $90m in taxes, which included some $400k in fines, as the sellers, shops and suppliers have been watched pretty closely by regulators. By the numbers, the state budget is about $28b, so $90m is a small amount. But it about equaled the total of refunded tax dollars to residents. So, depending on who you talk to, the overall thought is the law has been fairly successful, and not problematic.

When I lived in Oregon I think I had a chance to vote in such an issue a couple times. Every time I voted against it, simply because I didn't think the bills were written strictly enough, it looks like Colorado, and now some other states (including OR), are making it work it seems. I can't recall if I got to vote on it for medicinal use. If I did, I am sure I voted yes.

Hard drugs are another story. But this brings up an interesting point again, about people using them do deal with other issues, eg. pain. People going from painkillers, to illegally obtained painkillers, to heroin.

https://overdose.trendct.org/
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re: Re:

21 Apr 2017 12:51

Brullnux wrote:

Can we all agree that anyone using the rhetoric "pot its a gateway drug" should be ignored. Dropped the canned blah-blah and show us some data. Since there isn't any, maybe they can use the data on beer being a gateway drug.

I think it can be a gateway drug, but not for the reasons usually given. Nowadays to buy weed you have to go to a drug dealer. More often than not he will sell other drugs apart from weed. To smoke it, some people end up spending more time with people who take coke and maybe even heroin, and eventually do so themselves. In other words, it can be a gateway drug because of who you have to frequent and associate with to buy it.

Make it legal and this doesn't happen anymore, as it is available in pharmacies and whatever.

I agree that there is potential that kids could be exposed to other drugs in that scenario, but when I was a teen there was always another kid whose dad (or other family) grew several plants. Oregon and Washington are so close to here that a lot of the pot is from dispensaries.

I'm not sure that I would use it, but I should have it as an medical option (read the story I typed above about my mom). From a recreational standpoint, I don't see it pushing Patron or beer out of the top spots for me, but I should be able to make that decision for myself. Is it any worse for people/families/society than booze and/or pharma?
jmdirt

21 Apr 2017 15:02

jmdirt wrote:
Brullnux wrote:

I agree that there is potential that kids could be exposed to other drugs in that scenario, but when I was a teen there was always another kid whose dad (or other family) grew several plants. Oregon and Washington are so close to here that a lot of the pot is from dispensaries.

I'm not sure that I would use it, but I should have it as an medical option (read the story I typed above about my mom). From a recreational standpoint, I don't see it pushing Patron or beer out of the top spots for me, but I should be able to make that decision for myself. Is it any worse for people/families/society than booze and/or pharma?

growers need to blaze up. Cause that's what stoners do.

Drinkers need to get drunk cause that's what drinkers do.

All the same to me.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

21 Apr 2017 19:02

I agree.

Taking some every day isn't good for you, but then again no drug every day is. But I don't think every now and then can do much harm, not to an adult anyway.
Brullnux

21 Apr 2017 19:25

Brullnux wrote:

A lot of this is down to the individual anyway. In high school a friend passed by some older guys' place in order to buy some pot on a way to a party. In the living room were two scene fixtures, a couple of 20 somethings turning green and encrusting themselves into the furniture on the nod from smack. I had an immediate visceral reaction and thought "no thanks". A few years later another friend (a year younger) from that group overdosed. No one could pull him back: not me, not his girlfriend. A few people from that time in Seattle/SF still get high on pot occassionaly, but most have careers and/or families with no time for that.
aphronesis

22 Apr 2017 02:27

Interestingly, after I posted the above I rode home to find two cops on the sidewalk staring at my brownstone. The guy who lived on the floor above mine (a programmer/telecommuter) had gone "missing" from work. Five hours later and the civil servants have all left the building.As I and others thought possible, he apparently drank and smoked (cigarettes) himself to death. He was 38 but walked like an infirm 70 year old. I've never known marijuana to impact anyone that way. People will do what they do, criminalizing pot is a false issue
aphronesis

Previous

Return to General