Register

legalising drugs , why not?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2015 15:11

TheGreenMonkey wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
TheGreenMonkey wrote:Drugs blur the mind and make it harder to serve God so they are wrong. We need to keep our minds clean to do what He wants.

Best troll of the month!

I'll bite: I assume that you are against ALL drugs therefore you take nothing that does not come naturally from the earth.

This thread is about legalizing illegal drugs, to assume I was talking about something else is about as stupid as calling me a troll.

Yes, the thread is about legalizing drugs, but your reason for not legalizing them is so that you won't blur your mind, therefore you can't consume anything that blurs your mind if you want to serve your god. The argument could be made that god created things like marijuana. Really your post wan't a troll? Come on!
jmdirt

14 Jun 2015 15:23

jmdirt wrote:
TheGreenMonkey wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
TheGreenMonkey wrote:Drugs blur the mind and make it harder to serve God so they are wrong. We need to keep our minds clean to do what He wants.

Best troll of the month!

I'll bite: I assume that you are against ALL drugs therefore you take nothing that does not come naturally from the earth.

This thread is about legalizing illegal drugs, to assume I was talking about something else is about as stupid as calling me a troll.

Yes, the thread is about legalizing drugs, but your reason for not legalizing them is so that you won't blur your mind, therefore you can't consume anything that blurs your mind if you want to serve your god. The argument could be made that god created things like marijuana. Really your post wan't a troll? Come on!

People take drugs, including overuse of alcohol, to change their state of mind, remove inhibition and the like. People who take these drugs do things they would not do if they were sober. Drugs are taken to indulge lusts, to make sinning easier.

I am not against taking other drugs such as painkillers, in fact I have a sore foot at the moment and I am taking mild painkillers. I also take blood pressure medication.
It is true that some strong painkillers do effect mental capacity but the motive for taking them is completely different and I am not against them being used for that purpose.
Legal drugs can also be addictive, but that is also different again.

I do not troll in my posts, I am just explaining my religious beliefs.
TheGreenMonkey

14 Jun 2015 19:18

Just out of curiosity , Green monkey , have you ever been high?
Most people " myself included " I know have mostly had a positive experience.
If some one takes something and thinks he can Fly and jumps from a ten story building then he/she's a idiot. Take off from the ground.
I mean look how many politicians have been busted or admitted taking drugs. Even the pope. I have seen the t shirt :)
I'm not advocating that drug taking should be compulsory but .....there's some good stuff out there :D
ray j willings

14 Jun 2015 22:44

TheGreenMonkey wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
TheGreenMonkey wrote:
jmdirt wrote:

Best troll of the month!

People take drugs, including overuse of alcohol, to change their state of mind, remove inhibition and the like. People who take these drugs do things they would not do if they were sober. Drugs are taken to indulge lusts, to make sinning easier.

I am not against taking other drugs such as painkillers, in fact I have a sore foot at the moment and I am taking mild painkillers. I also take blood pressure medication.
It is true that some strong painkillers do effect mental capacity but the motive for taking them is completely different and I am not against them being used for that purpose.
Legal drugs can also be addictive, but that is also different again.

I do not troll in my posts, I am just explaining my religious beliefs.

My 70 year old mother was on a legal, prescribed, rotating load of meds for ~20 years to help her 'live more comfortably'. Some of them were messing with her endocrine system so they added more meds to counter the other meds., but that required other meds, etc... She was so messed up that she could barely function (semi-bed ridden) let a lone have a clear mind. A family member who has smoked/vaporized marijuana daily since the mid 80s tried for years to get my mom to try that instead of her chemical cocktail. My mother was way too conservative to even consider it. Finally, they convinced her to read some things and speak to a holistic doc. My mom was still worried about the legality/morality of using it. She decided that food made with oil was OK to try since she felt her quality of life was so poor. Fast forward...she was so amazed at how well the edibles worked for her that she did more research and spoke with experts to find the best oils for her use. She now only takes two meds, daily (down from a dozen+/-), uses edibles as needed, and is functional again. She is thrilled to have her life back, and we are thrilled to have our mom back. Its not about sinning for her, its about living.

Legalized marijuana will happen in my state just before the next ice age, but even if it happens in my lifetime I don't know that I will become a user (yes, I sinned with it as a teen). Faced with a situation like my mom's though, I will certainly explore that option.

I apologize for assuming that your post was a troll!

EDIT: my typing gets worse by the day! :confused:
jmdirt

14 Jun 2015 23:43

jmdirt, medical marijuana is a different case than just using it for pleasure and if it works as a medical treatment then it seems reasonable to use it.

Ray, no I have never been high or even drunk.
TheGreenMonkey

Re:

14 Jun 2015 23:57

[quote="TheGreenMonkey"]jmdirt, medical marijuana is a different case than just using it for pleasure and if it works as a medical treatment then it seems reasonable to use it.

The majority of my stance, after seeing what it has done for my mom, is legalizing marijuana products for medicinal use on a national level. Honestly though, I don't have an issue with legalizing marijuana for recreational use.
jmdirt

15 Jun 2015 01:55

I honestly can't understand why you would do drugs. The same way some people don't understand tattoos, I guess. And above all, I don't know why this should be considered a priority debate. That artcicle about Portugal seems a bit deceiving, or does not tell the whole story. Will try to elaborate a bit tomorrow.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

15 Jun 2015 07:12

@TheGreenMonkey @BigMac - But the topic is not about whether it's right or wrong to take drugs, but whether they should be illegal.

Also, some have picked up on the tax implication, but this is really a side-issue or fringe-benefit. Incidentally, if you're concerned about tax on street drugs then you should be equally concerned about tax on fast-food, fizzy drinks and similar, which are certainly worse for you than, say, magic mushrooms.
User avatar cellardoor

15 Jun 2015 08:10

...................so a consideration might be 'how bad are drugs for ones health?'...............USA

bans drugs...............accepts firearms....................right!

+ OP just states drugs which is pretty stooopid...........more drugs are legal than illegal.........

but illegal drugs are not consistently detrimental to health / civic order

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Re:

15 Jun 2015 09:12

TheGreenMonkey wrote:jmdirt, medical marijuana is a different case than just using it for pleasure and if it works as a medical treatment then it seems reasonable to use it.

Ray, no I have never been high or even drunk.

You're not missing much fella.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

15 Jun 2015 09:15

BigMac wrote:I honestly can't understand why you would do drugs. The same way some people don't understand tattoos, I guess. And above all, I don't know why this should be considered a priority debate. That artcicle about Portugal seems a bit deceiving, or does not tell the whole story. Will try to elaborate a bit tomorrow.

You would have to admit this BigMac. We have huge problems with obesity in the UK and the States.
In the UK every weekend in every town there are thousands rolling around the street off their faces on cheap Booze " binge drinking" causing endless issues and putting our ambulance and police resources to the test.
A&E's are stretched to there limit on Friday and Saturday night full of drunks,,,not drug addicts.

The death toll for people taking E for example does not even average to 10 deaths a year for the last few years. Yet when someone does die It make the news headline and all the papers.
There are over 33,000 deaths a year in the UK from drinking. Not one makes the headlines or newspapers.

so what's worse drink or drugs?

We are led down a false path by the media, puppet politicians and a lot of people making a lot of money from the way things are.
The media and the politicians are setting the moral standards for most people and those standards are about profit not the benefit of our society = 33.000 deaths a year from Alcohol less than 10 a year from taking a E.
and 20 people a year die from falling out of their bed

Should we stop sleeping in beds ,Its more dangerous than taking a E......

I'm not advocating that we all get high every day, my only vice right now is a glass of JD the weekend.
But the system is Fu$$ed up and its all in the name of profits IMO
ray j willings

Re:

15 Jun 2015 09:23

BigMac wrote:I honestly can't understand why you would do drugs. The same way some people don't understand tattoos, I guess. And above all, I don't know why this should be considered a priority debate.

You see BigMac, that's exactly what I told you a few months ago in PM. Since the fall of the USSR and the discovery of the horrors of it, the "Left" gave up the defence of the working class, a better wealth distribution etc, if they ever did defend that and fell back on other issues that are meaningless of the whole population and that the labouring classes are radically opposed to: drug legalisation, gay marriage, etc. Stuff for "Fortunate Sons" on university campuses. They are not social but liberal.

Good to read that from you. You still have common sense but don't fear ostracism. By the way, I don't understand tatoo but won't hate Rui for that. :p
Echoes

Re: legalising drugs , why not?

15 Jun 2015 18:37

What happened when Portugal decriminalized drugs - The Economist (well-known left-wing demagoguery)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=21&v=Y7LKfLxVtzE
User avatar Christian
Veteran

Re: legalising drugs , why not?

15 Jun 2015 20:51

Economist = Rothschild = ultraliberal.

Portugal = Austerity.

Case closed.
Echoes

20 Apr 2017 15:59

Since its 4/20 today:

Can we all agree that anyone using the rhetoric "pot its a gateway drug" should be ignored. Dropped the canned blah-blah and show us some data. Since there isn't any, maybe they can use the data on beer being a gateway drug.
jmdirt

20 Apr 2017 16:25

I think there are some studies that correlate a drop in domestic (crap) beer spending relative to marijuana accessibility. That's probably one place to start. Dutch tourism stats not applicable.

Hard drug usage is a sociological phenom that most aren't equipped to take on, but there are some well known anthropological studies of alcohol usage in "premodern" non expansive societies.
aphronesis
Veteran

20 Apr 2017 16:48

Blaze away with your hippy lettuce. Not my problem.

Legalize it make money of the hippy lettuce.

Same laws about driving under the influence of "crap" beer should apply to the stoners. Can't go to work stoned etc. same with can't show up to work drunk. YMMV.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

20 Apr 2017 17:01

Oh and forgot to say happy 4/20 to all you stoners. Hope y'all don't cause to much pollution and garbage /waste at the festivities. Surprised at how the stoners can be such polluters.
Veteran

20 Apr 2017 17:02

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/30/obama-says-marijuana-should-be-treated-like-cigarettes-or-alcohol/

I don't smoke, but grew up with lots of people who do. Know professionals who "unwind" with it. Many people shouldn't be driving in any condition; let alone with phones. Infrastructure and habit keep them alive.

I figure job condition is discetionary to the occupation.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

20 Apr 2017 17:14

aphronesis wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/30/obama-says-marijuana-should-be-treated-like-cigarettes-or-alcohol/

I don't smoke, but grew up with lots of people who do. Know professionals who "unwind" with it. Many people shouldn't be driving in any condition; let alone with phones. Infrastructure and habit keep them alive.

I figure job condition is discetionary to the occupation.

same here.

I don't buy the gate way argument either.

Phones are the death of us all.
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General