Register

Alpine Skiing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Alpine Skiing

20 Jan 2018 22:10

I know this thread isn't very crowded nowadays, but man, I just have to write somewhere how amazed I was by todays downhill in Kitzbühel. And a freakin German won, what on earth was going on today :lol:
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

20 Jan 2018 22:38

I watched it as well. Very surprised that Dressel won. Also Mayer skied dangerously and took huge risks, almost crashing on the traverse.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

Re: Alpine Skiing

21 Jan 2018 03:58

Agreed, that was a pleasure to watch, great stuff. The Olympic downhill will probably seem pedestrian by comparison.
Sciatic

21 Jan 2018 11:53

Well, Kitzbühel and Wengen are the skiing version of the RVV and Paris-Roubaix, classics. The only thing that comes close is the GS in Adelboden, those races are like the Monuments.
t's just a shame that both Men's and Women's overall WC aren't close at all, a competitive fight would be better for the sport.
Last weekend Shiffrin was training in Toblach and a friend of mine ran into her in a local gym.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re:

21 Jan 2018 12:05

Mayomaniac wrote:Well, Kitzbühel and Wengen are the skiing version of the RVV and Paris-Roubaix, classics. The only thing that comes close is the GS in Adelboden, those races are like the Monuments.
t's just a shame that both Men's and Women's overall WC aren't close at all, a competitive fight would be better for the sport.
Last weekend Shiffrin was training in Toblach and a friend of mine ran into her in a local gym.

The men's overall WC is anything but decided. Kristoffersen leads todays slalom in Kitzbühel and will probably make up 40 points on Hirscher. One gate straddle by Hirscher in the 3 remaining Slaloms and suddenly the WC is completely open.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re: Re:

21 Jan 2018 12:43

Gigs_98 wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:Well, Kitzbühel and Wengen are the skiing version of the RVV and Paris-Roubaix, classics. The only thing that comes close is the GS in Adelboden, those races are like the Monuments.

The men's overall WC is anything but decided. Kristoffersen leads todays slalom in Kitzbühel and will probably make up 40 points on Hirscher. One gate straddle by Hirscher in the 3 remaining Slaloms and suddenly the WC is completely open.

Maybe if he's able to gain time today, but this season he hasnt been as great in the Slaloms as he used to be, pobably because he put on a few kgs and focussed more n the GS to be able to fight for the overall WC. When it comes to the Slalom he hasn't been as catlike as he used to be and Hirscher always seems to have luck on his side.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

21 Jan 2018 12:54

deleted due to wrong location
Last edited by python on 21 Jan 2018 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

21 Jan 2018 13:32

python wrote:what happened to klaebo btwn km 11.9 and 13.9 :Question:

from leading poltoranin by .3 sec at 11.9 he dropped almost 20 seconds in just 2 km :rolleyes: i did not hear any comments about him falling. therefore, poltoranin must have just put on his jets as klaebo may have been fading...

anyway, glad to see the spor'st most elegant classic skier relegating klaebo. also quite happy for halfvarsson finding his legs finally.

nor to forget, congrats to parmakoski on her 1st word cup win (hope i my memory did not let me down...). it was time !

Wrong skiing thread ;)
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

21 Jan 2018 22:30

Mayomaniac wrote:Well, Kitzbühel and Wengen are the skiing version of the RVV and Paris-Roubaix, classics.

That's my opinion too. I don't watch Alpine Skiing that much these times because I don't have too much time usually but watched Kitzbühel yesterday for example.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

28 Jan 2018 09:56

A glimmer of hope from Ligety!
Ferminal
Veteran

Re:

28 Jan 2018 18:37

Ferminal wrote:A glimmer of hope from Ligety!

Hirscher will surely be afraid of him looking at the olympics. I don't know how the slope will be but I expect it to be a lot easier than Garmisch, probably comparable to Beaver Creek. I know Hirscher won by 1.5 seconds today, but in 2015 when Ligety surprisingly won the WC in Beaver Creek Hirscher won the Garmisch GS by 3 seconds.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Previous

Return to General