Log in:  

Register

Alpine Skiing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

28 Feb 2016 10:42

Brullnux wrote:Also what's wrong with the super g's? Hirscher should never come 3rd in one. Ever.

I actually only partly agree here.
Hirscher was 7th in the Pyeongchang Super-G and without a mistake in the lower section he probably also would have come 3rd. However the Super-G in Hinterstoder was indeed very technical although the course setter made it as fast as possible, but on this slope you just can't make it less technical.
Nevertheless I think he deserved that 3rd place because no matter if this was a super-g or not the way he skied the steepest part of the slope was just unrivaled.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,087
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

28 Feb 2016 10:45

Why not just have one at Saalbach?
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,801
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

28 Feb 2016 11:26

Brullnux wrote:Why not just have one at Saalbach?

Because this guy owns the skiing area in Hinterstoder and if he wants a race somewhere, he gets it.
Image
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,087
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Alpine Skiing

28 Feb 2016 12:45

Gigs_98 wrote:Srsly WTF is wrong with this season. It seems as vonn is now injured too :(


Is she going to win another Oscar tonight?
Max Rockatansky
Member
 
Posts: 879
Joined: 16 Jun 2015 11:59

Re: Alpine Skiing

28 Feb 2016 13:16

Max Rockatansky wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Srsly WTF is wrong with this season. It seems as vonn is now injured too :(


Is she going to win another Oscar tonight?

Now I think that as well :o
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,087
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

01 Mar 2016 05:35

I hate to say this but it didn't really matter who won the Super Combined in Andorra this weekend. What became the paramount question this weekend was: Was the race for the Womens World Cup over? Despite people insinuating that Lindsey was acting on Saturday when she was carted off the mountain, after a crash in a Sprint Super G held in snowy weather. Lindsey suffered a broken bone. Well, She gave new mening to the saying "...Break a Leg!" Because got back on the mountain the next day to compete for the Super Combined. A Super G run and a Slalom. On Saturday in the Super G, Lara Gut, skiing after the course hold to remove Lindsey from the hill, did not capitalize on Vonns DQ, gaining only a handful of points. And then on Sunday, after Vonn took the Super G run, Gut skied out of the slalom run, and lost more points to Lindsey who hung on in the slalom run to salvage a handful of points. Some of you out there might really dislike Lindsey, but she is one helluva competitor. One exceptional Athlete!
Image On a broken leg she took the Super G portion of the combined
Image Skating for every 10th of a second she could find in the slalom
Image Lara Gut rues the moment after her SL DQ
Image Oh, BTW, the Winners: Wendy Holdener 2nd, Marie Michele Gagnon 1st, Anne Sophie Barthet 3rd. Who said we didn't care about them?! :D
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

Re: Alpine Skiing

01 Mar 2016 06:58

About the acting. Im pretty sure her leg really hurt but the point is that because of her crash the other top skiers didnt have a chance because the snow fall became stronger. Said differently, while she fell because of a technical mistake everyone else didnt have a chance although they were probably skiing well, so the person who profitet most from lindseys crash was lindsey.
Moreover I was annoyed that suddenly everyone was acting as if lindsey's combined was a completely outstanding effort. If her leg would hurt that bad she wouldnt have been that good, so her pain just didnt influence her which means that this race wasnt any more impressive than every other race of her this year. Its like with reichelts Kitz win 2014 when he won with a herniated disk. He was better than that anywhere else in that season so why should I think that it affected his race.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,087
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Alpine Skiing

01 Mar 2016 18:22

Gigs_98 wrote:About the acting. Im pretty sure her leg really hurt but the point is that because of her crash the other top skiers didnt have a chance because the snow fall became stronger. Said differently, while she fell because of a technical mistake everyone else didnt have a chance although they were probably skiing well, so the person who profitet most from lindseys crash was lindsey.
Moreover I was annoyed that suddenly everyone was acting as if lindsey's combined was a completely outstanding effort. If her leg would hurt that bad she wouldnt have been that good, so her pain just didnt influence her which means that this race wasnt any more impressive than every other race of her this year. Its like with reichelts Kitz win 2014 when he won with a herniated disk. He was better than that anywhere else in that season so why should I think that it affected his race.

I must say, you obviously think those comments should be taken seriously. And that's the interesting part of it. Because besides your comments being absolutely ridiculous, they undermine the credibility of anything you say. I'm sorry t say this to you, because I realize you owe it to yourself to be offended by comments like that, but remember, it is just my opinion.
I mean, you fall just short of saying that her fall and subsequent injury, which forced a somewhat lengthy evacuation from the hill, was the reason none of the following skiers skied fast after her fall, and it was her fault!! But, that in the end it was a self serving fall, that benefitted only Lindsey. Then you try to trivialize her efforts on the subsequent day, in the Super Combined, by likening them to (yet another )Austrian Hannes Reichelt and his extraordinary performance in Kitzbuhel. Give it a break, please. At the very least, both of those performances were remarkable. If you haven't competed with broken bones, your comments should spew forth with a bit of restraint. I have competed in ski races with broken bones (though they were only ribs, not leg bones, but that was tough enough. One race I came in 2nd, in terrible pain, so please, don't even try to talk down to me about this point) Now, I want to be perfectly clear to you, so you don't get all huffy about how I don't like Austrians. My favorite woman racers are Anna Fenninger, Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Schiffrin, Eva Marie Brem, Tina Weirather, and Cornelia Huetter. So you can see that Austrians are among my favorites. And though I've had issues with Marcel Hirscher in the past, I have grown to appreciate and admire his presence in the World Cup, and the Championship quality he brings to the hill. But do you understand what the word "outstanding" really means? You don't think that ski racing in two distinctly different events, back to back, in one day WITH A BROKEN LEG is outstanding?! You don't think that winning one of the runs, with a broken leg is extraordinary? Then there is nothing anybody can say to you that will phase that kind of stance.
At first I thought to just ignore your remarkable comments. But in the end, I felt those comments did not deserve the respect of silence, because that silence would have been like agreement with those comments. And those were ridiculous comments, period.
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

Re: Alpine Skiing

01 Mar 2016 21:56

Okay first of all I have to admit that especially the second part of my post was written very badly, I know that and I apologize for it.
Generally I still stick by my opinion that Lindsey kind of profited from her own crash, because I'm just 100% sure the rest of the top group would have been better if they had started earlier. However I know that it was still written anything but kindly and the post also was only written as an explanation why I was mad after her crash (please don't forget, at that point the latest news was still that she doesnt have any big injuries. I didnt know what horrible consequences her crash had at the point I wrote the "acting comment")

The second part of my comment was definitely written worse. As an explanation, I wrote it at 8:00 am while I was sitting in the bus, with my mobile phone which wants to correct every single word I write in English into a German one, which makes it pretty difficult to write. Thats why I tried to keep the text short and didnt want to give any long explanations. Besides that English is just not my native language so it sometimes gets difficult to write exactly what I mean.
Now about the post itself. What I wanted to say is that I'm generally annoyed whenever someone says someones performance is an absolute miracle (I hope thats a better word than outstanding) and a performance noone has ever seen before, because these comments are usually nonsense (Ofc it isnt a coincidence that I wrote that exactly after Vonn was in such a situation, I would lie otherwise and I'm trying to be honest). I hear comments like that a few times a year in different sports and although these performances are usually indeed outstanding (I hope thats a better use for the word) they aren't such once in a century miracles people claim they are. Once again don't forget that my comment was only meant as an explanation for a comment I wrote in a situation in which I've already heard all day long how great Vonn's super fast comeback was while the latest news still said that she didnt even have any big injuries. Now I know that Vonn's combined was probably really painful but that isnt really what my post was about anyway. There are two different aspects after a crash. The pain and the influence on the performance and I talked about the latter. People didnt say "Vonn's performance was impressive because she did it while her leg hurt" they said "it is impressive to be that fast although she was injured". I'm pretty sure her injury is a handicap but it can't be that huge otherwise she wouldnt have been the fastest in the super-g. Even you said that you got 2nd with a broken rib which was probably a very good result for you. I don't want to know how bad it hurt because I'm sure this race was very painful for you and I don't want to mistrust any of your comment about your broken rib, but you still came in 2nd. Hannes Reichelt's win in Kitzbühel was also incredible considering that he didnt even know if he can start because his back hurt so bad, but still his skiing was as good as nowhere else in the season. I hope you understand what I mean.

I know I probably just shouldnt have written this comment especially its second half and some of the things I wrote are simply false, so I want to apologize for that. But I stick by some of my statements because I just think they are right and thats nothing I could simply change because I want to.

ps: Please stop with all the statements about Austrians. I don't judge you because you like or dislike some skiers and my comments have a absolutely 0 to do with you liking Austrians or not. Besides that it would be kind of stupid to accuse you of disliking Austrians while saying that I dislike Vonn ;)
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,087
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Alpine Skiing

02 Mar 2016 05:27

Gigs_98 wrote:Okay first of all I have to admit that especially the second part of my post was written very badly, I know that and I apologize for it.
Generally I still stick by my opinion that Lindsey kind of profited from her own crash, because I'm just 100% sure the rest of the top group would have been better if they had started earlier. However I know that it was still written anything but kindly and the post also was only written as an explanation why I was mad after her crash (please don't forget, at that point the latest news was still that she doesnt have any big injuries. I didnt know what horrible consequences her crash had at the point I wrote the "acting comment")

The second part of my comment was definitely written worse. As an explanation, I wrote it at 8:00 am while I was sitting in the bus, with my mobile phone which wants to correct every single word I write in English into a German one, which makes it pretty difficult to write. Thats why I tried to keep the text short and didnt want to give any long explanations. Besides that English is just not my native language so it sometimes gets difficult to write exactly what I mean.
Now about the post itself. What I wanted to say is that I'm generally annoyed whenever someone says someones performance is an absolute miracle (I hope thats a better word than outstanding) and a performance noone has ever seen before, because these comments are usually nonsense (Ofc it isnt a coincidence that I wrote that exactly after Vonn was in such a situation, I would lie otherwise and I'm trying to be honest). I hear comments like that a few times a year in different sports and although these performances are usually indeed outstanding (I hope thats a better use for the word) they aren't such once in a century miracles people claim they are. Once again don't forget that my comment was only meant as an explanation for a comment I wrote in a situation in which I've already heard all day long how great Vonn's super fast comeback was while the latest news still said that she didnt even have any big injuries. Now I know that Vonn's combined was probably really painful but that isnt really what my post was about anyway. There are two different aspects after a crash. The pain and the influence on the performance and I talked about the latter. People didnt say "Vonn's performance was impressive because she did it while her leg hurt" they said "it is impressive to be that fast although she was injured". I'm pretty sure her injury is a handicap but it can't be that huge otherwise she wouldnt have been the fastest in the super-g. Even you said that you got 2nd with a broken rib which was probably a very good result for you. I don't want to know how bad it hurt because I'm sure this race was very painful for you and I don't want to mistrust any of your comment about your broken rib, but you still came in 2nd. Hannes Reichelt's win in Kitzbühel was also incredible considering that he didnt even know if he can start because his back hurt so bad, but still his skiing was as good as nowhere else in the season. I hope you understand what I mean.

I know I probably just shouldnt have written this comment especially its second half and some of the things I wrote are simply false, so I want to apologize for that. But I stick by some of my statements because I just think they are right and thats nothing I could simply change because I want to.

ps: Please stop with all the statements about Austrians. I don't judge you because you like or dislike some skiers and my comments have a absolutely 0 to do with you liking Austrians or not. Besides that it would be kind of stupid to accuse you of disliking Austrians while saying that I dislike Vonn ;)

Peace, All is Good. I just want to admire excellence. "Dislike" is so unneccesary, and such a waste of our good energy. :)
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

02 Mar 2016 06:06

Sorry for the delay but I was very busy this weekend. Sunday I got broadsided while riding my bicycle, by a car driven by an 83 year old woman, who was staring at the rider ahead of me, and forgot to stop at the red light! S-Works RIP!
Anyway, I finally caught up with the GS in Hinterstoder, and it was great. All of the guys are stepping up their games. Especially France's Alexis Pinturault. Who took his third GS in a row. But he had to do it after Marcel Hirscher threw down the Gauntlet that Henrik Kristoffersen, smooth as he was, fell behind by just over a 10th of a second. Then Alexis took off last, with just over half a second margin to play with, and play with it he did, expanding it to over a second, as he crossed the finish line. Great race, Great Pictures from Agence Zoom
Image Afterburners ON
Image Marcel laying it down.....FAST
Image At 21 Henriks GS skiing is getting better and better
Image The Podium. Marcel 2nd, Alexis 1st, Henrik 3rd
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

03 Mar 2016 00:48

Vonn's season is finished. I guess this just about hands the overall WC to Gut. She has a huge lead over Rebensburg. In fact, I guess Lindsey, even missing the last eight races, has a good chance to finish second.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/lindsey-vonn-ends-early-because-left-knee-injury-132607374.html
Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,150
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

03 Mar 2016 02:54

Statement today by Lindsey Vonn, on facebook.
Today I am making the difficult decision to end my season and leave the World Cup circuit due to an injury I suffered last Saturday. Because I am currently leading the Overall World Cup standings, this is one of the toughest decisions of my career.
When I crashed on Saturday in Andorra, I fractured my tibial plateau. The traditional X-rays that were taken that afternoon showed a hairline fracture, but the tibial plateau appeared to be stable and did not pose significant risk to competing. So I raced on Sunday. After the Super Combined on Sunday, I went to Barcelona where more precise MRI and CT equipment was available and scans were performed on Tuesday morning. Those images showed that there was not just 1 hairline fracture, but in fact 3. And the fractures are not hairline, but instead they are significant enough that they are not sufficiently stable to permit me to safely continue skiing. Further damage any of the fragments could result in a serious surgery that would risk my future in ski racing. With the World Championships in St. Moritz next year and the Winter Olympics in South Korea the following year, I cannot take that risk.
So I have made the decision to end my season. I am very proud of what I have been able to accomplish this year: 9 World Cup victories, breaking the World Cup downhill win record, breaking the World Cup Super G podium record, and winning the most World Cup discipline titles--20--of any skier, male or female. While I am confident that I'm making the right decision, it still doesn't make this decision any easier. Thanks to everyone who supported me and stood by me through it all. Best of luck to all the World Cup competitors. I'll see you again next year. Xo LV

She's only human, an extraordinary human, but a human nonetheless. I wish her the best.
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

06 Mar 2016 17:33

2 Giant Slaloms for the men and a slalom in Kranjska Gora this weeked:

Friday 04.03.16
Pinturault makes it 4 in a row. Schoerghofer 2nd, and Hirscher comes from 7th in first run to take 3rd. Hirscher basically wraps up GS globe, despite Alexis' late season surge.

Saturday 05.03.16
Hirscher wraps up GS globe and basically the overall globe too. Pinturault doesn't make it 5 in a row, as Hirscher beats him by half a second. Kristofferson third by over 1.5 seconds.

Sunday 06.03.16
Hirscher wins the slalom, but the young viking takes second (0.81 down) and the globe. Stefano Gross takes third, 1.11 down. Nereuther crahes. Hirscher effectively wins the overall globe, unless Kristofferson wins the next 4 of the enxt 6 races and Marcel crashes every time, or alexis wins all of the next 6.

For the women in Jansa, only a slalom: the GS is tomorrow.

Sunday 06.03.16
Shiffrin destroys the field. Hansdotter takes the globe, despite a mediocre 10th place.
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,801
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

07 Mar 2016 03:43

Mikaela Shiffrin has skied.......The Queen is Back! Long live he Queen!
Image
Mikaela wasn't really the spoiler today, she was just doing what Mikaela does.
But Wendy Holdener did ski a bit better than Veronica Velez Zuzulova to take second place
and thus end the race for the women's slalom cup.
Image
Zuzulova missed keeping the race for the slalom crown alive,
Image
even though Frida Hansdotter skied tentatively into 10th place and backed into the Title.
Image
This is the REAL Queen of Slalom. Mikaela Shiffrin. She beat 2nd place Holdener by 2.35 seconds and she topped the Title holder by 4.10 seconds
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

07 Mar 2016 04:12

Austria's Marcel Hirscher had a Monster weekend, at just the right moment.
After slumping off just a bit lately, he pulled it ALL together, in Kranjka Gora. He broke two streaking racers,
took the GS title, and just about locked the overall. And his main rivals didn't even ski bad.
He just skied faster than them in both GS and in slalom.
Image
Today he bested streaking 21 year old slalom specialist Henrik Kristoffersen, who finished 2nd.
And in the end, he just about clinched the World Cup Overall
Image
Yesterday Marcel stopped Alexis Pinturault's 4 race, GS winning streak, with Alexis in 2nd place.
And in the process he clinched the GS World Cup
Image
All in all, a great weekend for Marcel
Image
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

08 Mar 2016 06:30

Austria's Eva Marie Brem smoked the first run of the Giant Slalom in Jasna, But of the final top ten
only one of the racers were slower in the 2nd run on a quickly deteriorating course. But she hung
in there for her 3rd GS win.
Image
Viktoria Rebensberg came from a very poor 1st run where she stood 12th. But then she flew down the
course to put up the fastest 2nd run, which put her in first place until Eva Marie came down to take the win
Image
Viktoria now stands in two very deserved places: 2nd in the GS standings (52 points out of first) , and 3rd in the Overall standings
(Soon to pass Lindsey Vonn). If her year had been a bit more consistent, earlier on, she would really be in the
thick of a very close battle for the overall title.
Image Frederica Brignone of Italy rounded off the podium with 2 consistent runs
Image
They were just about powder skiing in Jasna today! :D
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

08 Mar 2016 06:35

Meanwhile, my girl Anna is working on her Comeback! I'm pulling for her!
Image
Good Luck, Anna
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

18 Mar 2016 03:55

Tina Weirather was on today, and took the final Super G of the season.
She laid down a time that demanded the other girls to step up and take
the Super G title from her.
Image
Lara Gut then jumped into the tricky course in St Moritz and skiied it a bit
conservatively but came in right behind Tina.
Image
And finally one of my favorite women of this season, Conny Huetter
came down the course and took third place.
Image
And so, Switzerland's Lara Gut took her second Super G title
Image
Final Super G standings:
1.Lara Gut
2.Tina Weirather
3.Lindsey Vonn
4.Cornelia Huetter
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

Re: Alpine Skiing

20 Mar 2016 13:11

It's over, the season is over again :cry:
At least the last day was probably one of the most exciting ones of the season. The men's slalom was extremely close and although I hoped for Yule its great to see mhyrer winning again.
Then the women's race was even more thrilling with one hell of a fight for the gs world cup. Basically it was already clear that rebensburg will win after her run because there is just nobody else who could make such a run even if she does everything as good as she can but after gut and baud had a great run as well and it became clear that brem at least needed a good run I got very nervous. And it seems as if brem was nervous too because she just didnt ski as smooth as she normally does but she got the necessary 4th place by 4 hundreds and won the world cup.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,087
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Back to top