Register

Alpine Skiing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

29 Jan 2016 07:06

Mayomaniac wrote:And Ted is out with a torn ACL, this has to be one of the worst seasons that I've seen, probably the worst of the 21th century.

Absolutely agree. Could this, in fact, be just what Ted has been talking about all along? Regarding the alleged safety that the FIS was trying to convince everybody they were talking about when they changed lengths and sidecuts on Speed Skis? I get a feeling it was a move backwards, away from safety. And now it's coming back to bite the racers in their backsides, as they press the limits trying to find new ways to squeeze more speed out of the equipment they are using. Maybe this outbreak of serious injuries will motivate the rules makers to re-think their positions, and rules.
nowhereman

Re: Alpine Skiing

30 Jan 2016 15:32

So it looks like The norwegians didn't need much time to find the next Skier who can Win downhills after svindal's injury.
Btw, my highlight of the day were the commentators on Austrian tv. Kline wouldnt even have been in the top 5 if the top athlethes hadnt made so many mistakes but the orf thought that its impossible anyone could still beat him although kline's race was anything but Perfect. So Hans knauß the cocommentator already left the commentators room to analyze the the winning run of kline before kilde even started. And even during kilde's run the remaining commentator didn't believe that kilde could win, even at the Last split time when kilde was only 3 tenths behind although almost everyone gained 4 tenths on kline in the Last sector. And it wasnt even suprising that kilde won considering that he was 3rd in the training and the slope fits perfectly to his skiing style. :o
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

30 Jan 2016 17:58

Gigs_98 wrote:So it looks like The norwegians didn't need much time to find the next Skier who can Win downhills after svindal's injury.
Btw, my highlight of the day were the commentators on Austrian tv. Kline wouldnt even have been in the top 5 if the top athlethes hadnt made so many mistakes but the orf thought that its impossible anyone could still beat him although kline's race was anything but Perfect. So Hans knauß the cocommentator already left the commentators room to analyze the the winning run of kline before kilde even started. And even during kilde's run the remaining commentator didn't believe that kilde could win, even at the Last split time when kilde was only 3 tenths behind although almost everyone gained 4 tenths on kline in the Last sector. And it wasnt even suprising that kilde won considering that he was 3rd in the training and the slope fits perfectly to his skiing style. :o

Let's just say that there's a reason why I'm usually watching Alpine Skiing on Swiss tv. :D
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

30 Jan 2016 23:28

There's a right way, and a wrong way to attack a Downhill course. There are a variety of reasons why a racer might choose his particular strategy, just as there are a variety of reasons why that choice might spell absolute disaster on the journey from the start wand to the finish line. First let's review the wrong way.
Image Carlo Janka trying to cut down the gate as if he is in a slalom. I'd almost bet his eyes are closed at this moment too. :-)
Image Adrien Theaux bashing the gate like he's racing GS, except that the speeds are Downhill speeds. Adjust line, yes. knocking gates down in DH, to adjust line...No.
Image Kjetil Jansrud trying to pretend that the gate is not really there. This strategy didn't work for him. In fact he's lucky that he made it to the finish line at all
nowhereman

30 Jan 2016 23:48

Then there is the more correct way to approach the Downhill. These men got it right today. And Bostjan Kline almost took it all, on his first visit to the top ten. But Alexander Aamodt Kilde should not have been a surprise. not only did he practice well, he has already been on the podium for a Super G in Val Gardena this year. What was an unfortunate surprise was Hannes Reichelt blowing off course after having a great practice run earlier in the week. But it was good to see him back on course after his crash in Kitzbuhel last week.
Image Beat Feuz visits the podium for the second time in consecutive weeks
Image Slovenian Bostjan Kline almost took his first World Cup victory
Image Alexander Aamodt Kilde picked up the baton from a fallen Aksel Svindal and took the day from the 30th start position
Image The Garmisch podium. Kline waited 27 skiers 'til Kilde came down and snatched victory from him. But nobody on the podium looks unhappy. Tough day of racing. Showing that there might be "favorites" but it's all up to how well they execute their strategies, on course corrections , and all!
Last edited by nowhereman on 31 Jan 2016 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
nowhereman

31 Jan 2016 02:39

Slovenians crushing the winter sports scene again. 1-2-3 in the Sapporo ski jumping. Ana Drev 2nd in the women's GS in Maribor, Bostjan Kline 2nd in Garmisch DH. Juniors getting medals, para-athletes winning medals...All this with barely 2 million people population!!
BullsFan22

31 Jan 2016 05:08

And BTW, the women had a great contest in Maribor Lindsey Vonn failed at the GS discipline once again, as she DQ'd on her second run. But Lara Gut squandered a perfect opportunity to gain unanswered points against Lindsey, and retake the overall lead when she skied out of the course herself in the second run! But one great part of the day is that Viktoria Rebensberg seems to have her Giant Slalom Mojo going again, and she is now on a roll again, and Ana Drev of Slovenia is having a very good season herself. just as Tina Weirather is mounting the podium more often, of late. All in All a good day for the women in Maribor
Image Lindsey out again in GS
Image Ana Drev 2nd in Maribor, just as Countryman Bostjan Kline was getting a 2nd place in the men's DH in Garmisch
ImageViktoria Rebensberg captures another GS. Really starting to regain her champion form again
Image Maribor GS podium Drev (2nd) Rebensberg (1st) Weirather (3rd)
Sorry, I couldn't get an action shot of Tina Weirather anywhere, apologies
nowhereman

03 Feb 2016 18:34

I'm already looking forward to the speed races in south Korea. I just hope it will be an interesting slope and actually I'm also expecting that because tu last two olympic slopes were also completely new but really difficult and interesting
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

09 Feb 2016 06:40

Image Lara Sliced her way down the treacherously bumpy and slick Garmisch Super G course
Image Lindsey came down the course with a streak at stake and crossed the finish line .23 behind Lara
Image Then Victoria Rebensberg flew down the course and jumped into the slot between Lara and Lindsey to get 2nd place, only .1 behind Lara!
Image In the end, Lara broke Lindsey's streak of Super G wins, and moved to 87 points behind Lindsey in the race for the overall. And Victoria Rebensberg who is having a great year consolidated 3rd place overall, and is skiing great in the speed events
nowhereman

16 Feb 2016 05:39

Welcome back Mikaela! After being sidelined by an injury that threatened the rest of this season. She went home, worked hard and came back yesterday in Crans Montana, SUI. And she reminded the world who the Best Slalom Skier in the World is. Like she never left! And that smile is still Sunshine. All we need now is for Anna Fenninger to return, and start winning again! But I think we are going to have to wait til next season for that.
Image Back in the groove right out of the start gate! Go Mikaela!
Image Nastassia Noens flys into 2nd on the day
Image Marie Michele Gagnon came in third, Travis Ganong is happy!
Image She's Baaaaaaaack!! Welcome back to the Cup and the top step on the podium!
nowhereman

21 Feb 2016 17:34

Only one month to go before the season ends which means that the probably most exciting part of the season starts. Thats because a) the fight for the crystal globes starts and especially the overall world cups are still very open and b) this is the time of the season in which the dominators of the first half start to get tired so there are usually more skiers who can win races.
After a parallel event in Stockholm next Tuesday the men have 2 downhills, 3 super g's, 5 (!!!) giant slaloms, and 2 slaloms left while the ladies have only 1 downhill, 3 super g's, 2 giant slaloms, 2 slaloms and 2 super combines left.
Here is my attempt to predict the rest of the season:
MEN:
overall:

Although Kristoffersen is only less than 100 points behind Hirscher I think he is the very obvious underdog. Thats mainly because the remaining races clearly favor Hirscher. The Austrian is probably in the better gs shape and he can make points in super-g's so he has 8 (or rather 7 because I doubt that he will go to Kvitfjell) races which favor him, while Kristofferson has only 2 slaloms left and is almost 100 points behind. Nevertheless Hirscher was pretty bad in Japan, and if he doesnt find his shape again and Kristoffersen skis on like he has done in the rest of the season this could become very close.

downhill:
This could be very interesting. With Fill, Jansrud, Theaux, Paris and Fayed there are probably 5 athletes who will compete for the win in this discipline. Fill has a good advantage of 69 points on Theaux and 73 on Jansrud but especially the Norwegian is usually very strong in Kvitfjell, and the slope in St.Moritz should be good for him too. Fill is still my favorite because of his advantage but I give Jansrud almost equal chances.

super-g:
This discipline is even more interesting, especially because the leader is still Svindal and his advantage of 120 points could be enough to win this competition without competing in the last 4 events. What makes this discipline even more interesting is the fact that more than 15 athletes are within 100 points to the currently 2nd Andrew Weibrecht. Another interesting factor in this discipline might be Marcel Hirscher. He is currently on 8th place and has only 46 points disadvantage to Weibrecht. Moreover the super g in hinterstoder fits him perfectly (to be honest, IMO he is the favorite there) and he usually also is very good in the last super g of the season and if he wins next weekend I can imagine that he will also go to Kvitjell. Nevertheless the favorite is in my opinion Svindal because making 110 points in 3 races isnt even that easy. Besides Svindal I also give Weibrecht and Kilde a good chance.

giant slalom:
Hirscher is obviously the big favorite with over 100 points advantage, but with 5 races to go this is actually still very open as well. Muffat jeandet, Faivre, Kristoffersen, Pinturault and Neureuther are all within 80 points so they all have a chance. I can't really say who of them has the biggest chance to beat Hirscher but its definitely possible that one of them does.

slalom:
Kristoffersen

LADIES:
overall:

Believe it or not but Gut is my favorite. I think the two super combines and the giant slaloms favor her and 2 of the 3 super g' are on slopes which should fit her too. Moreover there is only one downhill left, which is (as well as the third super-g) on a slope on which Gut is usually good too. I know that Vonn has a great shape but I have the feeling that she doesnt have the best nerves this year. I know she has been in this situation very often while its Gut's first chance to win the overall world cup, which might be an advantage for Vonn, but I have the feeling that the fact that she just isnt as dominant as she was before Garmisch might be a bad sign for her.

downhill:
Vonn

Super g:
Vonn has an advantage of about 60 points on Gut, everyone else is too far behind. This could be interesting because, as I wrote it above, the next two Super-g's should fit Gut better than Vonn. On the other hand Vonn still has a monster shape in which she actually is the favorite on every slope of the world, so it will be extremely difficult to beat the American.

giant slalom:
I honestly hope that Brem can win this because she just deserves to win this competition after being in the top ten of every single gs since about 2 years. (Moreover she is the only female Austrian hope to win a globe so ofc I root for her :D ). However IMO the favorite is Rebensburg, because her shape gets better and better and with less than 40 points of disadvantage and 2 races to go that means that if she wins both races Brem can do whatever she wants, but the giant slalom globe will go to Germany.

Slalom:
Hansdotter is the big favorite with a 99 points advantage but if she skis out (which is always possible in a slalom) Zuzulova and Strachova are back in business. Moreover it could be crucial that the advantage is 99 points and not 101 because it means that that if Hansdotter gets 4th two times and Zuzulova wins both remaining slaloms she also wins the slalom globe by 1 point. Just to remind you, in 2014 Hirscher lost the giant slalom world cup to Ligety although he was 100 points in front, with only 2 races to go, so it isnt over yet.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

21 Feb 2016 21:38

Very happy for Fanchini.
Brullnux
Veteran

22 Feb 2016 05:34

Gigs_98 your prediction for the women's slalom is very interesting since you leave Mikaela completely out of the equation. Mikaela will not win the SL cup, but she could help make the whole situation very sticky in those last two SL's.
nowhereman

22 Feb 2016 05:54

Image Even though Lindsey clinched her record 8th Downhill title here in LaThuile, ITA. this weekend. She did not ski that confidently this week. and left Italy without a win, in her favorite Speed events. Today she took 3rd, edged out by Lara Gut.
Image Lara is not shrinking from the challenge, and came off of the weekend with a DH win and 2nd in todays Super G
Image Tina Weirather who has been skiing very well and consistently, finally ended on the top step of the podium with an excellent win in todays Super G
Image The podium that ended the weekend.
Oh, and yes it was nice to see Nadia Fanchini get the win in the weekends second Downhill, after being pushed down to third in the first DH.
nowhereman

Re:

22 Feb 2016 06:36

nowhereman wrote:Gigs_98 your prediction for the women's slalom is very interesting since you leave Mikaela completely out of the equation. Mikaela will not win the SL cup, but she could help make the whole situation very sticky in those last two SL's.

You are right I forgot about her and she will probably help hansdotter because its not that unlikely that she wins the last two slaloms so zuzulova can gain less points. Unfortunately that will rather make it less interesting
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

25 Feb 2016 05:20

Two racers in a class of their own! Ingemar Stenmark with Lindsey Vonn, at the Stockholm, Sweden City Event
nowhereman

27 Feb 2016 02:54

Rescheduled GS from Adelboden took place in Hinterstoder, Austria today, and the French are still on a roll!
Alexis Pinturault took the GS and kept Home Boy Marcel Hirscher off the top step of the podium once again.
But Marcel did redeem himself with a 2nd place finish between Frenchmen Alexis Pinturault and Thomas Fanara
who took 3rd place on the day. 4th on the day was young man, Henrik Kristoffersen of Norway, who is trying to
keep it close with Marcel Hirscher
Image Alexis Pinturault, silent flyer
Image Marcel Hirscher trying to pt another World Cup on his top shelf
Image Frenchman Thomas Fanara took 3rd on the day
Image Young Challenger Henrik Kristoffersen 4th and still in the hunt. Stretching it out!
nowhereman

27 Feb 2016 05:27

I’ve noticed that even when Lindsey is on the third step of the podium, as has been the case twice just on this page, she towers over the other women. Is she unusually tall (5' 10" according to Wiki) for a woman skier?

Is there in fact an optimum height for an elite skier? I would think that, on the one hand, taller and heavier means a little faster going downhill, but on the other hand, shorter and lighter means turning through gates a little faster. Most of Vonn's world titles have come in speed events (downhill and super G), and even the combined includes downhill. And only 6 of her 76 WC victories have come in the slalom or GS. All of this suggests that she is taller and heavier than average and tends to do better in speed events.
Merckx index

27 Feb 2016 13:06

Srsly WTF is wrong with this season. It seems as vonn is now injured too :(
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

27 Feb 2016 19:48

Also what's wrong with the super g's? Hirscher should never come 3rd in one. Ever.
Brullnux
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General