Register

British politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

31 Jan 2018 18:14

It's also immigration which props up the very institutions (like the National Health Service) which the nationalists accuse immigration of threatening.

We have an ageing and unhealthy demographic, with a ticking timebomb of soaring health and social care demand and lower tax receipts. Immigrants, by their very nature tend to be young, healthy and fertile...and working and paying tax.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re: Re:

31 Jan 2018 19:51

macbindle wrote:
aphronesis wrote:
rhubroma wrote:
macbindle wrote:I suppose that depends on what you mean by 'financialization'.

As you probably know, the big deregulation of the financial industry took place in the 80's. The New Labour years were a funny mix of sometimes contradictory ideology from pumping money into poorer families with the aim of alleviating child poverty, to pushing the Private Finance Initiatives for funding capital building projects, and introducing faux-market conditions into state education and the national health service.

Well Glass- Steagall for one thing. Then there's this.

https://books.google.it/books?id=DmII6oY5b5gC&pg=PA245&lpg=PA245&dq=clinton%27s+financial+liberation+with&source=bl&ots=E5tPb8NTUX&sig=7hGDGPtpzF_5q-cxUFfHklLp3Lo&hl=it&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju_NnHsoLZAhWGuBQKHQKVCQ0Q6AEITjAF#v=onepage&q=clinton's%20financial%20liberation%20with&f=false

new book on the subject

https://www.amazon.com/Capital-Time-Neoliberal-Currencies-Financial/dp/1503603903

at macb, bored with your “humorous” posts posing as politics before you got to the cafe as you inevitably were going to.

Not everything (in fact nothing) I post is about you. Aphronesis. I'm afraid your apparent obsession with me is unreciprocal. Soz.

I'll leave it to you to research my reference to Il Cavaliere and 'bunga bunga.

I frankly had no illusions that it was, just pivoting off the word “bored” while passing on a reference to someone I appreciate and respect. But you’ve got some traction now in the US beyond “Trump is orange” so it’s all cool.

But do me a favor and don’t confuse being aware of what and how people say with “obsession”; it’s just memory.
aphronesis
Veteran

05 Feb 2018 07:23

That leaked report was almost certainly leaked by those in the driving seat of government. Theresa May is at the wheel. She has been told to drive down a given road, but she, and all of her sane colleagues sat beside her in the front, know that road leads to the top of a cliff.

In the back seat are a row of gargoyles screaming at her that she isn't driving fast enough and that the road leads to the land of milk and honey. The gargoyles only got to be in the car because they've convinced some of the electorate that all other roads lead to foreign interests especially those of light brown people who wear grubby cheap sportswear and drive Amazon vans.

Theresa May is, meanwhile, desperately looking for a slight left turn that will give the appearance of going straight on but will lead to only half-way down the cliff. The gargoyles are screaming for full-cliff. Each of the gargoyles has the intention of trying to climb over into the front seat once the car has plunged over the cliff and smashed into the beach below. They know that the car will be smashed into smithereens and Theresa will have exited via the windscreen, but the driving seat will be intact and maybe quite comfy....and that is all that counts.

That's all you need to know about British politics for the foreseeable future.
User avatar macbindle

06 Feb 2018 18:03

User avatar macbindle

Re:

07 Feb 2018 15:17

macbindle wrote:That leaked report was almost certainly leaked by those in the driving seat of government. Theresa May is at the wheel. She has been told to drive down a given road, but she, and all of her sane colleagues sat beside her in the front, know that road leads to the top of a cliff.

In the back seat are a row of gargoyles screaming at her that she isn't driving fast enough and that the road leads to the land of milk and honey. The gargoyles only got to be in the car because they've convinced some of the electorate that all other roads lead to foreign interests especially those of light brown people who wear grubby cheap sportswear and drive Amazon vans.

Theresa May is, meanwhile, desperately looking for a slight left turn that will give the appearance of going straight on but will lead to only half-way down the cliff. The gargoyles are screaming for full-cliff. Each of the gargoyles has the intention of trying to climb over into the front seat once the car has plunged over the cliff and smashed into the beach below. They know that the car will be smashed into smithereens and Theresa will have exited via the windscreen, but the driving seat will be intact and maybe quite comfy....and that is all that counts.

That's all you need to know about British politics for the foreseeable future.

I believe I know that story

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/dark-money-trumpocalypse-now/
aphronesis
Veteran

07 Feb 2018 15:45

Yep. Trump is deregulating. The Brexit mantra is that we will be free of regulations imposed upon us by those Europeans. Never mind that we Brits have been at the forefront of the creation of those regulations (We are quite good at it) nor that anybody on the Brexit side has ever explained what it is about those EU regulations that are so bad.

You know the story.

Interestingly, today, the PM refused to deny the possibility of US companies bidding for UK healthcare contracts (You know the stuff that should be provided from within the state system).

Yesterday, the Health Secretary chided Trump for his comments on the NHS, despite running a programme that looks increasingly like a setup for privatisation.

Trumps foreign though, and foreign is bad.
User avatar macbindle

07 Feb 2018 20:00

I agree with most of what you've said but the last bit is a complete non-sequitur.
Brullnux
Veteran

07 Feb 2018 20:25

It's not a non-sequitur, but I'll admit it is a bit abstruse.

What I am getting at is the hypocrisy of Jeremy Hunt in criticising Trumps view of nationalised healthcare, when Hunt is actively engaged in an ideologically driven destruction of our nationalised health care system.

Jeremy Hunt thought he could score a few popularity points by invoking nationalistic fervour against foreign Trump, despite tacitly agreeing with Trump's ideology.

Just thinking about Hunt's face has made me do a little sick in my mouth.
User avatar macbindle

11 Feb 2018 14:28

User avatar macbindle

11 Feb 2018 19:03

So mac, how do you see UK changing?
aphronesis
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 19:28

I really can't foresee, beyond continuation of political stasis nay utterly meaningless politics, hidebound and predated upon by populist opportunists such as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg exploiting the indolent and politically illiterate Brit. At least until the sh1t really hits the fan next year when we go on our collective lemming run.

In so many ways we need to move beyond the culture of monarchy, the vestigial memories of imperial glory, the superiority/inferiority complex, but that isn't going go happen anytime soon when it's seared into us. Imagine living in a country whose vision of itself revolves around events of 73 years ago.

Long term? It's all going to be about demographics...

Not a very coherent answer, I'm afraid. More of a collection of frustrations.
User avatar macbindle

11 Feb 2018 19:43

Well, for some, we do live in that past. That can’t be the sole narrative though.
aphronesis
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 19:53

Indeed not, but it is the one that is winning. Regression marketed as progression.
User avatar macbindle

Re:

12 Feb 2018 06:57

macbindle wrote:Indeed not, but it is the one that is winning. Regression marketed as progression.

"Make UK great again!" :)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

12 Feb 2018 07:19

Exactly....complete with pompous music and images of Spitfires flying over the White Cliffs protecting us from swarthy Romanian asparagus-pickers
User avatar macbindle

13 Feb 2018 09:18

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42666274
...there are around 97,000 properties in England and Wales held by overseas firms, as of January 2018.

the British Virgin Islands, BBC analysis has found, ... which has a population of just 30,600 ... is the official home of companies that own 23,000 properties - more than any other country.

Tax havens? Nah ... :D

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

15 Feb 2018 16:11

aphronesis wrote:https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/opinion/britain-transportation-privatization.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Hmmm....yes. Deep irony in there.
It's the same story in large parts of the UK energy sector. Not so far away from me we have a huge white elephant nuclear power plant being constructed by French and Chinese state power companies. The British used to lead the world on nuclear power :rolleyes:
User avatar macbindle

24 Feb 2018 07:05

Nationalized bank makes profit!
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43166560
RBS reports first profit in 10 years
At the height of the crisis, in October 2008, the Treasury had to step in to bail RBS out for £45bn.

After nine years when accumulated losses totalled £58bn pounds - today a symbolic profit for RBS.

People should have been hung from lamp posts for 2008s crash - instead UK tax payers get stiffed. Sad!

User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to General