Register

British politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

18 Apr 2018 05:16

I've always resented that whiney c**t for ruining Johnny Marr's beautiful guitar playing.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

18 Apr 2018 13:20

Hey, I thought the 80s were grim too, but couldn’t see finding solace in him.
aphronesis
Veteran

23 Apr 2018 16:16

This week's hot topic in British politics is the Windrush debacle.

Summed up here by off-camera news reporter, Jonathan Pie

https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPieReporter/videos/1537718273017727/
User avatar macbindle

26 Apr 2018 07:35

DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

26 Apr 2018 08:28

No sh1t.

It's hardly news. It's widely known that UKSF (Along with several other nations) are heavily involved in training Syrian opposition forces. They would be more heavily involved had parliament voted against wider action in 2013(?).

The name of the game is holding back Iranian and Russian influence in the area. Abject failure on both goals, and yes, it has almost certainly prolonged the civil war.
User avatar macbindle

26 Apr 2018 09:10

No sh1t. indeed. arming, and fermenting radical jihadism....
The operation was not disclosed to US congressional intelligence committees as required by US law, and "the involvement of MI6 enabled the CIA to evade the law by classifying the mission as a liaison operation"
Hersh noted that "many of those in Syria who ultimately received the weapons were jihadists", some affiliated with al-Qaeda. Indeed, it is believed that Qatar – which was the UK's key ally in overthrowing Gaddafi and was now repeating its role in Syria – was pouring weapons and cash into Nusra. The Telegraph reported on a Middle Eastern diplomat saying that Qatar is responsible for Nusra "having money and weapons and everything they need"..

Lord Ashdown, the former Liberal Democrat leader, later said this massive quantity of arms ended up going "almost exclusively to the more jihadist groups". Nusra and another hardline Islamist group, Ahrar al-Sham,

In Autumn 2013, Britain began a major refocus of its campaign to support the Syrian opposition, known to be dominated and driven by extremists and jihadists

It is not clear which militant groups British officials met, but a new coalition, the Islamic Front, emerged around this time, and included Jaish al-Islam and Ahrar al-Sham. The latter had regularly worked with Nusra and IS until January 2014. Ahrar al-Sham's co-founder, Abu Khalid al-Suri, was al-Qaeda’s representative in Syria before being killed in February 2014, and he was linked to the 2004 Madrid bombing through a series of money transfers and personal contacts.

etc
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

26 Apr 2018 09:42

Of course. I think we have all noticed that the Russians and the US (most overtly) are claiming to be doing the same job in Syria....eradicating IS.
User avatar macbindle

03 May 2018 19:26

Oh god. Did you have to?

I had, for a brief moment, forgotten about Brexit.
User avatar macbindle

03 May 2018 20:01

Just passing it along. Gearing up for the summer holidays and the state of the topic.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

09 May 2018 14:21

macbindle wrote:Of course. I think we have all noticed that the Russians and the US (most overtly) are claiming to be doing the same job in Syria....eradicating IS.

Yup, and making Syria safe for the butcher of Damascus..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re: British politics

27 May 2018 09:54

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-law-and-crime/article/2147925/former-british-minister-malcolm-rifkind-calls
Hong Kong’s role in a pan-Asia secret rendition programme run by US and British intelligence services should be scrutinised as part of a top-level inquiry, a former British cabinet member has said.

The call from former foreign secretary Malcolm Rifkind came as it emerged a prominent human rights barrister retained to pursue legal action against the Hong Kong government over an alleged role in the CIA and MI6-led rendition programme – which included cloak-and-dagger operations in Malaysia and Thailand – was no longer involved in the case.

The new probe became a possibility after Britain issued a full public apology earlier in May to Abdul Hakim Belhaj – an opponent of Libya’s then ruling regime led by the late dictator Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.

In 2004, Belhaj and his wife Fatima Boudchar – who was 4½ months pregnant at the time – were abducted in Kuala Lumpur following a tip-off from Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service (SIS or MI6) before being transferred to an alleged CIA black site in Thailand.

The couple were taken to Libya, where they were tortured and Belhaj was sentenced to death. The couple were subsequently released.

While the Belhaj ordeal has remained in the headlines, an almost identical case – also in 2004 – in which senior Hong Kong officials allegedly sanctioned an illegal detention and secret rendition on the say-so of US and British intelligence, has received scant coverage.

It involved the 12-day detention at Hong Kong International Airport of Libyan national Sami al-Saadi, his wife and their four young children, followed by their forced repatriation – also via Thailand – to the Tripoli torture cells of the Gaddafi regime.

Maybe the new CIA head can help out ...
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

29 May 2018 17:55

hard to tell is this should credit the 'british journalism' or one of its humble servants

https://twitter.com/gullyburrows/status/1001359805624274945/video/1
User avatar python
Veteran

29 May 2018 17:59

I think the elephant, it has great timing.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

31 May 2018 02:24

python wrote:hard to tell is this should credit the 'british journalism' or one of its humble servants

https://twitter.com/gullyburrows/status/1001359805624274945/video/1

Aha!
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

13 Jun 2018 06:18

Mrs May bumbling on ...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-tory-rebels-theresa-may-brussels-eu-uk-deal-commons-talks-a8396146.html
Rebel Conservatives have forced Theresa May into a climbdown, handing parliament greater control of Brexit if she fails to seal a deal.

After the prime minister was threatened with what could have been a damaging commons defeat, she promised key concessions in dramatic last minute talks with pro-EU rebels.

It is likely to mean her accepting a deadline by which she must secure a deal with Brussels, if she wants to stay in the driving seat for negotiations.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

13 Jun 2018 06:47

Brexit.

Who ever thought it would turn out to be so complicated?

:lol:
User avatar macbindle

14 Jun 2018 04:09

and the Battle for control of Brexit continues ... Corbyn's time to suffer.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/abour-mps-resign-brexit-jeremy-corbyn-eu-withdrawal-bill-a8397741.html
Jeremy Corbyn has suffered his biggest Brexit rebellion in the Commons as nearly 90 backbenchers defied his orders and six junior frontbenchers resigned from their roles.

It follows the Labour leader’s decision to instruct his MPs to abstain on a Lords amendment to the EU (Withdrawal) Bill that would have kept Britain in the European Economic Area (EEA) after Britain’s withdrawal from the EU.

In total, 74 Labour MPs voted for EEA membership while 15 voted with the government against the so-called Norway model – bringing the rebellion to 89.

On the Conservative benches three MPs defied Theresa May and voted for the EEA amendment, including the prominent pro-EU MPs Anna Soubry, Ken Clarke and Dominic Grieve.

User avatar Robert5091

15 Jun 2018 18:45

7500+ new members joined the SNP in the last 48 hours. Thank you Mr Bercow and Mrs May for the complete and utter contempt shown to the Scottish Parliament and the voice of the Scottish people.
User avatar ferryman

PreviousNext

Return to General