Register

share your local police stories...

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

30 Apr 2016 00:08

A normal Friday in Edinburgh a good few years ago. Finished work and was walking back the half mile to the train station as per usual. As per usual stopped at the newsagents next to the station to pick up the evening paper. Then all hell breaks loose as I came out. Before I knew anything I was manhandled against a wall and told to spread. Saw cops running across the road towards me and the giant in combats who was doing the manhandling and also from both sides. Totally confused and now surrounded on all sides. Rush hour and this was all happening beside a packed bus stop.

Then comes the good bit, the giant informs me there's just been an armed robbery at a nearby Post Office and I fit the description!! WTF, I'm now thinking they think I may be armed! The shakes started!. What you got in your pockets, where have you just been etc..stutter splutter by me. A good run down followed by a nice WPC informing everyone it's not me as my clothing doesn't fit the description! They then just left as fast as they appeared without an apology or anything, leaving me and a rather bemused bus stop queue staring at each other. Not surprisingly I was in such a state of shock I got on the wrong train and to cap off a great day had to call Mrs F to come and collect me (and you won't be surprised to hear she found it extremely amusing!!).
User avatar ferryman

30 Apr 2016 05:20

Don't have too many bad stories to tell about the cops, but let's talk about the TSAs now...

As a normal athlete I do not want to eat all the food the airlines give me the minute they serve it. So...

I had saved the banana that KLM had given me while on my way from Europe, so what comes next when I land in the US? Some prick TSA telling me I can't bring fruit from Europe, he then hand-searched my backpack even though it had already gone through the x-ray, and then he threatened me by saying he could have me arrested and that there would be a fine.

Being I was too tired from the 9-hour flight I was being really nice and complied saying I understood why we can't bring fruit from out-of-country, so he just left it at that. But man...

I remember when flying used to be fun!
Last edited by Tricycle Rider on 04 May 2016 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

03 May 2016 18:05

User avatar JackRabbitSlims

04 May 2016 02:35

NYPD accepts New Zealand 'running man' challenge

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11633446
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

Re:

04 May 2016 16:43

Cute!
More time dancing means less time killing homeless people.
Keep it up!
User avatar the delgados

05 May 2016 16:10

All comedy and richness of layers notwithstanding, police intervention at public schools is not a disappearing problem.

"But poor Danesiah Neal, an eighth grader at the Christa McAuliffe Middle School, just outside of Houston, may have had the most traumatic lunch lady experience ever. That’s because she tried to pay for some chicken tenders at her school cafeteria with a $2 bill—a legit but not-very-familiar form of US currency—and seriously had the cops called on her. Cops who apparently also didn’t recognize the bill and decided to question Daesiah.

“I went to the lunch line, and they said my $2 bill was fake,” the eighth-grader told KTRK-TV. “They gave it to the police. Then they sent me to the police office. A police officer said I could be in big trouble.”

The student claimed she got the bill as change from a purchase at a convenience store. A team of Houston detectives took the $2 bill to a nearby bank, which said, yup, it’s legit."

Maybe Cruz could start printing Texas money again.

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/school-calls-cops-on-student-who-paid-for-chicken-tenders-with-two-dollar-bill
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

05 May 2016 16:44

aphronesis wrote:All comedy and richness of layers notwithstanding, police intervention at public schools is not a disappearing problem.

"But poor Danesiah Neal, an eighth grader at the Christa McAuliffe Middle School, just outside of Houston, may have had the most traumatic lunch lady experience ever. That’s because she tried to pay for some chicken tenders at her school cafeteria with a $2 bill—a legit but not-very-familiar form of US currency—and seriously had the cops called on her. Cops who apparently also didn’t recognize the bill and decided to question Daesiah.

“I went to the lunch line, and they said my $2 bill was fake,” the eighth-grader told KTRK-TV. “They gave it to the police. Then they sent me to the police office. A police officer said I could be in big trouble.”

The student claimed she got the bill as change from a purchase at a convenience store. A team of Houston detectives took the $2 bill to a nearby bank, which said, yup, it’s legit."

Maybe Cruz could start printing Texas money again.

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/school-calls-cops-on-student-who-paid-for-chicken-tenders-with-two-dollar-bill

Makes me want to get a stack of $2 bills to see what kind of mischief I can get into. :D

It's ridiculous that people don't know what legal tender looks like. :rolleyes:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

05 May 2016 16:50

Sacagawea coins are also fun. Go easy out there.
aphronesis
Veteran

31 May 2016 09:54

Me: Hey I found these car papers in the gutter here in the street
Copper: so what?
Me: Uhm, could you put this in the lost and found basket?
Copper: Alright
Me: Cya
Copper: Hold on
Me: Hm?
Copper: You have no lights on your bike, that's a ticket
Me: *Puts hand in pockets, takes out detachable lights* *shows him*
Copper: They're not on your bike, I'll write you a ticket
Me: Hold on, lights are only obligated when it's dark our past 18 o'clock. And It's neither
Copper: You just made this up kid
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Long story short: I visited my neigbour (copper same station) and he told me to got to the commissionner, there they told me I was al good and the Copper in question would be punished (most likely by retaking his exam)
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

08 Jun 2016 22:00

I realize you guys aren't very keen on cops, but once in awhile you find a kind and compassionate one.

Here in Eugene a cop saved a pup from getting the crap kicked out of it by some drug user, and now the cop is willing to adopt the pup. (The pup may need special care.)

Don't know if this link will work on your end, but I've been following the story somewhat closely.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/34450649-75/earl-the-badly-abused-dog-finds-forever-home-with-police-officer-who-saved-him.html.csp

Re:

09 Jun 2016 04:03

Tricycle Rider wrote:Don't have too many bad stories to tell about the cops, but let's talk about the TSAs now...

As a normal athlete I do not want to eat all the food the airlines give me the minute they serve it. So...

I had saved the banana that KLM had given me while on my way from Europe, so what comes next when I land in the US? Some prick TSA telling me I can't bring fruit from Europe, he then hand-searched my backpack even though it had already gone through the x-ray, and then he threatened me by saying he could have me arrested and that there would be a fine.

Being I was too tired from the 9-hour flight I was being really nice and complied saying I understood why we can't bring fruit from out-of-country, so he just left it at that. But man...

I remember when flying used to be fun!

'abuse of power'?

try this one...

several years ago, on the last night out with my US mates, they gave me a gold zippo lighter as a parting gift (I smoked back then). I put it (still new in it's packet) in my check-in baggage, along with my other lighter (bic). I wasn't going to risk it in carry-on.
I get to the UK to find my bag with the locks cut off, fully rummaged through, and a note from US customs quoting a law about not having "pressurized butane lighters" in your check-in baggage, and that one had been confiscated.
No worries, thinks I... at least the zippo will still be there, after all it had no lighter fluid in it nor was it pressurized...
You guessed it, the zippo's gone, but the actual pressurized butane lighter is still there. Both were in the same pocket, and they're hardly mistakable as to which is which...
punts
User avatar Archibald

Re:

09 Jun 2016 17:54

Tricycle Rider wrote:I realize you guys aren't very keen on cops, but once in awhile you find a kind and compassionate one.

Here in Eugene a cop saved a pup from getting the crap kicked out of it by some drug user, and now the cop is willing to adopt the pup. (The pup may need special care.)

Don't know if this link will work on your end, but I've been following the story somewhat closely.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/34450649-75/earl-the-badly-abused-dog-finds-forever-home-with-police-officer-who-saved-him.html.csp

Hey TR.
Please don't get me wrong; there are many instances where basic human decency and kindness transcends the uniform the cop is wearing.
That said, there are way way too many instances in which people feel the state sponsored uniform allows them to commit heinous crimes with impunity.
User avatar the delgados

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2016 19:19

the delgados wrote:
Hey TR.
Please don't get me wrong; there are many instances where basic human decency and kindness transcends the uniform the cop is wearing.
That said, there are way way too many instances in which people feel the state sponsored uniform allows them to commit heinous crimes with impunity.
I can't argue that and I agree. I think too often cops forget they are sworn officers of the law/court. But I think most of the time you only hear about the bad ones in the news because it makes for a juicier story, the positive stories can be hard to come by.

So, just trying to say that not all of them are bad, that's all.

10 Aug 2016 17:03

aphronesis
Veteran

Re: share your local police stories...

11 Aug 2016 02:56

Many police overstep the mark but it would be pretty **** without them. :Neutral:
sienna

15 Aug 2016 08:20

I am British so I don;t have any stories like that. :razz:

My favourite Police story - my Brother was driving down the Motorway at 70, guy in an audi tries to undertake him, can't 'cos the lane is full, before my brother can pull across to let him past he starts tailgating him, honking, flashing his lights.. finally finds a place to pull across, guy roars past at about 80 and gives him the finger. so my brother finds his blue light covered in dust under his seat, slaps it on the roof and chases the guy down and arrests him, calls in and they are
'ummm what's your number?'
'I'm the Chief Constable'

First arrest he has made in about twenty years.

Also a Friend was at a set of lights at a T-Junction, lights go green and some dickhead, on his Mobile 'Phone, in a 4*4 roars up on his outside and then immediately turns left, without looking up from his 'phone... into his garage. Friend's options are to go under his wheels or go with him, so he turns with him and ends up pinned against the dickhead's garage wall! Dickhead looks up from his 'phone for the first time, to see a strange angry man in Lycra in his garage shouting obscenities at him, assumes he is a psycho and calls the police while refusing to open his car door or windows...

Luckily for my friend the car BEHIND them at the junction was an unmarked police car and had seen the whole thing - they pull up about 3 minutes later,, apologise for taking so long to intervene, they had had to stop laughing first.
deValtos;Ironically he's not the yo yo at all, everyone else is.
PatrickLeeds

15 Aug 2016 11:16

Well, let's see.

When I was in high school I cooked/managed an SF restaurant. One weekend night a waitress who wanted to date me told two of the cooks that she had some drugs. So we close the place and drive out to the Oakland hills. They're all smoking and sniffing while I'm looking at the bay and some cops pull up. Knock on my window and say "what's that smell?"

"Clove cigarettes?"

"Nice one; out of the car"

My fry cook has holes in his pants, so everything he's holding falls on the ground. The waitress threw her stuff under a seat in the car--and it's found immediately.

The police separate and question us individually. After awhile they keep comimg back to me and saying "everyone says it yours." I tell them they're full of ****, no one's a punk and everybody knows I don't do drugs. Finally they say "doesn't matter: your car, your drugs."

Pick me up, slam me on the cruiser hood and cuff me. The waitress starts sobbing and confesses, but now they still have to take me in and " unarrest" me.

I can go on with dozens of stories. Countless border crossings. Are there police who are nice people? Yes? Do things happen when I'm a well dressed 30/40 ish, highly educated white man with glasses? No.

But many forget who they are the second the job imposes.
aphronesis
Veteran

Previous

Return to General