Register

Poll: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Should the Babes on Bikes thread have been removed?

Yes (I am a man)
20%
No (I am a man)
61%
No strong opinion, but I accept its removal (I am a man)
14%
Yes (I am a woman)
1%
No (I am a woman)
2%
No strong opinion, but I accept its removal (I am a woman)
2%

Total votes : 103

Poll: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

31 May 2016 17:04

There has been a lot of debate about this, both on the Modestly Clothed Women thread in this subforum as well as in a thread in the About the Forum section announcing the removal of the BoB thread. I'm very curious to see what the level of support for and against the removal of the thread is. I have provided distinct choices for men and women because of course they are likely to have different perspectives on this. I assume women are less supportive of the thread than men, but I don't know this for sure. While the debate can continue on the other threads, I would be very interested in particular in hearing the opinions of women, few of whom seem to have weighed in on the other threads.

Edit: All right, I followed the poll instructions exactly, the preview indicated the poll was up and people could vote, and now I find that there isn't a way to vote. Maybe a mod can fix this.
Last edited by Merckx index on 31 May 2016 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Merckx index

Re: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

31 May 2016 17:17

Merckx index wrote:There has been a lot of debate about this, both on the Modestly Clothed Women thread in this subforum as well as in a thread in the About the Forum section announcing the removal of the BoB thread. I'm very curious to see what the level of support for and against the removal of the thread is. I have provided distinct choices for men and women because of course they are likely to have different perspectives on this. I assume women are less supportive of the thread than men, but I don't know this for sure. While the debate can continue on the other threads, I would be very interested in particular in hearing the opinions of women, few of whom seem to have weighed in on the other threads.

Edit: All right, I followed the poll instructions exactly, the preview indicated the poll was up and people could vote, and now I find that there isn't a way to vote.

Probably all voting has been disabled because that's the way a good democracy works is to not let the people vote. (Sounds like our friends in the UK) :rolleyes:

No really probably voting has been disabled in the forums because all the Greg Fanboys got roasted over the LeMon poll. :eek:
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

31 May 2016 17:27

I voted 'no I am a man'.

There were no 'Vino' or 'Hell no, you expect me to approve of the killing of my baby?' options.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

31 May 2016 17:36

I voted yes (I'm a Man)...I don't think the poll is working.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

31 May 2016 17:39

I voted Yes (I am a man)

I'd be quite interested to see the results, so hopefully the poll can get fixed :)
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

31 May 2016 17:55

I had no problems with the thread when it was there, but appreciate, understand and respect the decision to remove it. That's slightly stronger than (c), but slightly weaker than (a).
So haven't voted.
sniper
Veteran

31 May 2016 18:11

I was slightly offended by the large amount of pictures implying that women don't know how to ride bikes. :p

In all serious-ness I voted the No Strong Opinion option (female)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

31 May 2016 18:52

I never visited the thread, so I won't contribute to the poll.
I assumed the thread title pretty much spoke for itself. Women are beautiful.
I get it; I see them every day. It seemed silly to come here to remind myself that women are beautiful.
Much better to profile the athletic achievements of everyone, regardless of gender.
But then again, it's just a forum for people to yak with one another.
I would have no problem with a men's thread of babes on bikes.
I'd pose for a photo, but I'm pretty sure no one would be interested in seeing it.
User avatar the delgados

31 May 2016 19:15

“Power is a lot like real estate, it's all about location, location, location. The closer you are to the source, the higher your property value.”

In this case Power is in the hands of the site owner. Our location is not looking like we will have much value.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

Re:

31 May 2016 19:50

Glenn_Wilson wrote:“Power is a lot like real estate, it's all about location, location, location. The closer you are to the source, the higher your property value.”

In this case Power is in the hands of the site owner. Our location is not looking like we will have much value.

As silly as this controversy seems, at least the power source has very good intentions.
I'm all for the closure if it leads to true equality--you know, things like equal pay and stuff like that-- but somehow I don't think that's gonna happen. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Meantime, men will continue to drool over women.
And women will drool over me. Uh, maybe not.
User avatar the delgados

31 May 2016 19:56

Forgive me if what I'm asking is already common knowledge, but why was the thread removed NOW after being allowed to exist peacefully for years?
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

Re:

31 May 2016 20:19

CheckMyPecs wrote:Forgive me if what I'm asking is already common knowledge, but why was the thread removed NOW after being allowed to exist peacefully for years?

As Scotty put it perfectly (I paraphrase) - An unnecessary, 'pc' response to a non existent problem. There is a post in 'About the forum'.
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

Re: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

31 May 2016 20:20

Glenn_Wilson wrote:
Merckx index wrote:There has been a lot of debate about this, both on the Modestly Clothed Women thread in this subforum as well as in a thread in the About the Forum section announcing the removal of the BoB thread. I'm very curious to see what the level of support for and against the removal of the thread is. I have provided distinct choices for men and women because of course they are likely to have different perspectives on this. I assume women are less supportive of the thread than men, but I don't know this for sure. While the debate can continue on the other threads, I would be very interested in particular in hearing the opinions of women, few of whom seem to have weighed in on the other threads.

Edit: All right, I followed the poll instructions exactly, the preview indicated the poll was up and people could vote, and now I find that there isn't a way to vote.

Probably all voting has been disabled because that's the way a good democracy works is to not let the people vote. (Sounds like our friends in the UK) :rolleyes:

That's weird. We've got a national UK referendum next month. There was also a referendum in Scotland, last year. That is on top of a general election last year plus elections for British people to stand in the European parliament, plus the usual round of local elections such as the one for the local council in my village (and every other) last month, and one for the county police commissioner.
User avatar kwikki

Re: Re:

31 May 2016 20:24

Amsterhammer wrote:
CheckMyPecs wrote:Forgive me if what I'm asking is already common knowledge, but why was the thread removed NOW after being allowed to exist peacefully for years?

As Scotty put it perfectly (I paraphrase) - An unnecessary, 'pc' response to a non existent problem. There is a post in 'About the forum'.

Cheers. What's the title of that post?
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

31 May 2016 20:42

CheckMyPecs wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:

Just the teensiest bit of detective work should identify the topic in question. ;)
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

31 May 2016 20:55

Amsterhammer wrote:
CheckMyPecs wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:

Just the teensiest bit of detective work should identify the topic in question. ;)

Now I see - when I read "BoB's gone, here's why", I assumed "BoB" was a user who was banned from the forum, but it's "Babes on Bikes". Ah, it's getting late here. :)
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

31 May 2016 20:57

No (man).
Slippery slope...what's next?

EDIT: Since they own the site, they get to make the calls.
jmdirt

31 May 2016 21:42

It's working now, you should be able to cast a vote.

Cheers
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

31 May 2016 21:46

Given that there's a male equivalent, no. Seems really wrong to ban one and not ban the other. Other than that, I would't really know.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

31 May 2016 21:51

Personally I had no big qualms about it but at the same time wasn't particularly involved in it; rarely clicking it.

Tbh, I can see both sides. I understand why Amster, Scotty and nowhereman may be upset and annoyed but I also see how it can be interpreted as objectification. I would've been fine with it to continue, but understand why it was taken off. So I voted c.
Brullnux

Next

Return to General