Log in:  

Register

Poll: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Should the Babes on Bikes thread have been removed?

Yes (I am a man)
21
21%
No (I am a man)
62
61%
No strong opinion, but I accept its removal (I am a man)
14
14%
Yes (I am a woman)
1
1%
No (I am a woman)
2
2%
No strong opinion, but I accept its removal (I am a woman)
2
2%
 
Total votes : 102

14 Jun 2016 19:14

Shocking how far some take this PC stuff.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,921
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

20 Jun 2016 14:56

jesus flippin christ.

in Belgium people wanted to organize a Miss Belgium for kids between 6 and 10.
http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20160420_02247525
you gotta be pullin my **** leg.

thank the Lord for prohibiting this sharade
http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20160620_02347230
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,157
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

Re:

20 Jun 2016 22:23

Glenn_Wilson wrote:Shocking how far some take this PC stuff.


I'm confused. Girls On bikes is gone but Podium Girls survives? Mixed messages. Maybe I should not mention it before every thread is looked at under the PC microscope.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,187
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

21 Jun 2016 10:27

movingtarget wrote:I'm confused. Girls On bikes is gone but Podium Girls survives? Mixed messages. Maybe I should not mention it before every thread is looked at under the PC microscope.


Getting rid of a thread on a cycling forum concerned with a practice that is commonplace in cycling is a bit awkward, but as far as I'm concerned I'd welcome it if they get rid of podium girls from cycling all together. It's just as silly and vulgar as the BoB thread was........
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,278
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

21 Jun 2016 12:22

I have at least somewhat re-birthed the BoB gallery on Pinterest. I'm hoping to track Nowhereman down, so he can post them there in the future. Meanwhile, here it is, mostly culled with some of the best from here in recent times, plus a few others I had sitting around.

https://www.pinterest.com/phil8277/babes-on-bikes/
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,849
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re: Re:

21 Jun 2016 12:44

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:
movingtarget wrote:I'm confused. Girls On bikes is gone but Podium Girls survives? Mixed messages. Maybe I should not mention it before every thread is looked at under the PC microscope.


Getting rid of a thread on a cycling forum concerned with a practice that is commonplace in cycling is a bit awkward, but as far as I'm concerned I'd welcome it if they get rid of podium girls from cycling all together. It's just as silly and vulgar as the BoB thread was........


Probably should get rid of miniskirts, form fitting tops and bikinis too. No place in society for silly vulgarity. Life is serious business, or should be.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,740
Joined: 08 Nov 2012 16:47
Location: Southern California

21 Jun 2016 13:00

nice strawman.

good job, Alpe. (seriously)
sniper
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,157
Joined: 15 Oct 2010 23:36

Re: Re:

21 Jun 2016 14:20

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:
movingtarget wrote:I'm confused. Girls On bikes is gone but Podium Girls survives? Mixed messages. Maybe I should not mention it before every thread is looked at under the PC microscope.


Getting rid of a thread on a cycling forum concerned with a practice that is commonplace in cycling is a bit awkward, but as far as I'm concerned I'd welcome it if they get rid of podium girls from cycling all together. It's just as silly and vulgar as the BoB thread was........


Edit by mod

Fine work, Alpe, thank you!
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,921
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 08:29
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Re:

21 Jun 2016 14:37

Amsterhammer wrote:
Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Getting rid of a thread on a cycling forum concerned with a practice that is commonplace in cycling is a bit awkward, but as far as I'm concerned I'd welcome it if they get rid of podium girls from cycling all together. It's just as silly and vulgar as the BoB thread was........


You really need to get a life.


Hmmm interesting point, I didn't look at it from that perspective yet! However I don't really see the connection between me having a life and my opinion on the BoB thread; care to elaborate? :D
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,278
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

21 Jun 2016 14:51

Interesting thread. Based on the survey results, we cannot reject the null hypothesis of no gender differences in opinions on the BoB removal at the 5% level.

Future research should thus maintain as a working assumption that males and females have similar views on the appropriateness of posting pictures of hot girls on discussion boards.
User avatar SeriousSam
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,994
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 00:06
Location: Now here

Re: Re:

21 Jun 2016 14:56

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:
Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Getting rid of a thread on a cycling forum concerned with a practice that is commonplace in cycling is a bit awkward, but as far as I'm concerned I'd welcome it if they get rid of podium girls from cycling all together. It's just as silly and vulgar as the BoB thread was........


You really need to get a life.


Hmmm interesting point, I didn't look at it from that perspective yet! However I don't really see the connection between me having a life and my opinion on the BoB thread; care to elaborate? :D

I've been told much the same many times.

My latest "massage therapist" told me that she is going to need extra coin because she is working on her MBA. I told her that is tough because I'm currently utilizing more than one "therapist" (cant afford to tip) - her reply to me was "get a life". Times are tough.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,921
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

21 Jun 2016 14:59

Maarten's life may be a fascinating subject, but it's not the topic of the thread, so let's discuss Babes on Bikes shall we?
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 10,198
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Procrastination nation

21 Jun 2016 15:00

@SeriousSam
Lol, that is so faulty dude. Just because you cannot conclude with 95% certainty that the genders differ, does not mean one should assume the opposite. Better to keep an open mind to what the truth is a la Schrödinger's cat.

I haven't done the calculating myself, but if you lowered the certainty to 50%, I'm quite sure you would be able to reject it, so it makes more sense, if one has to make an assumption, that the assumption is that there are gender differences.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!




Amsterhammer wrote:A glorious day, enjoy the fires of hell, Maggie!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,392
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

29 Jun 2016 06:10

I have not been on cyclingnews in a while and just came back specifically to look for the BoB thread. How disappointing to find it has been deleted. The morons are winning, sadly.
User avatar Ninety5rpm
Member
 
Posts: 1,888
Joined: 18 Mar 2009 01:08
Location: The World

Re:

29 Jun 2016 19:25

Ninety5rpm wrote:I have not been on cyclingnews in a while and just came back specifically to look for the BoB thread. How disappointing to find it has been deleted. The morons are winning, sadly.


they usually do
User avatar patricknd
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,132
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 18:51
Location: houston texas

Re: Poll: Should the Babes on Bike thread have been removed?

29 Jun 2016 23:12

I could never understand why the BoB thread was taken away in the first place - I was thoroughly shocked when I went to show it to a friend (who likes both bikes and girls) and found it was gone. Is it because the powers that be at this forum want to protect other adult people from the "moral decline" of modern society or was it because of the personal prejudices of a few? Were there complaints from forum members who could have just as easily exercised their choice to not open the thread? I think it would be generally accepted that normal adults could view this material, which at its very worst is the softest of porn, without turning into rapists and pedophiles. :confused:
sienna
Member
 
Posts: 618
Joined: 25 Jul 2010 01:41
Location: australia

Re: Re:

29 Jun 2016 23:31

ray j willings wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:
ray j willings wrote:Personally I find the BOB a bit odd and a bit of a cheap way to get titillated . Its not my cup of tea at all . If I want to get turned on in that way I look at porn.


If you think that BoB was ever intended to be a porn substitute, well, I think you have a problem.


No you have the problem. Looking at girls on bikes " BABES" its a bit weird . Its not honest. Your not being Honest . What is it about these attractive girls on bikes that gets you off " is it the pedals :D "

This thread is outdated and pathetic and should have been banned just the same way podium girls should be banned.
It was all about aesthetics (the girls AND the bikes) and the juxtaposition of the two in a single pic. You were the one who mentioned titillation.
sienna
Member
 
Posts: 618
Joined: 25 Jul 2010 01:41
Location: australia

02 Jul 2016 15:49

My wife looked and never was offended, we debated this several times and it is still the best thread in this forum. Just more PC nanny. Why cannot people self censor. If you don't like it don't look.
The clinic is by far the most offensive part of this forum. It breeds incivility and lends to wild, sometimes slanderous discussions. If there is a social thermometer, the clinic is way more offensive than pictures of women on bikes. Then there is the nature of it? why are so many women posing for these pictures if they are so mysoginist? Seriously many women want to be seen as sexually attractive and invest a lot in that view. It may be a sign of deteriorating morals or maybe a sign of liberation from prudish controls put upon women often by puritanical people who despise their sexuality? There is also the international character of the forum. Mostly anglo saxon I am guessing but I know we north americans tend to see scantily clad or nude people only in a sexual context, where our Euro brethren seem much more accepting of this. Just look at the issue of breast feeding. I get that some pictures were certainly stretching the guidelines but oddly enough this was one forum pretty much devoid of actual pornography.
User avatar Master50
Member
 
Posts: 1,163
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:52
Location: Vancouver Island

Re:

05 Jul 2016 20:17

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I have at least somewhat re-birthed the BoB gallery on Pinterest. I'm hoping to track Nowhereman down, so he can post them there in the future. Meanwhile, here it is, mostly culled with some of the best from here in recent times, plus a few others I had sitting around.

https://www.pinterest.com/phil8277/babes-on-bikes/

Well, we are back. Sorta :)
nowhereman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,434
Joined: 24 May 2010 01:42

Re:

05 Jul 2016 21:08

Netserk wrote:@SeriousSam
Lol, that is so faulty dude. Just because you cannot conclude with 95% certainty that the genders differ, does not mean one should assume the opposite. Better to keep an open mind to what the truth is a la Schrödinger's cat.

I haven't done the calculating myself, but if you lowered the certainty to 50%, I'm quite sure you would be able to reject it, so it makes more sense, if one has to make an assumption, that the assumption is that there are gender differences.


It was a joke. The poll contains close to no information about the beliefs of females, and thus close to no information about the difference in beliefs between males and females.

You'd be surprised how often this type of reasoning makes it into published empirical papers though: A failure to reject a hypothesis is taken to be evidence the hypothesis is true, disregarding whether there was sufficient data to have a good chance to detect it if it were false.

I haven't done the calculating myself, but if you lowered the certainty to 50%,

If you're talking about p-values you're surely joking too!

I have no doubt there is in fact a gender difference, based on information that isn't this poll.
User avatar SeriousSam
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,994
Joined: 31 Aug 2012 00:06
Location: Now here

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jagartrott, RedheadDane and 4 guests

Back to top