Register

ALI DEAD

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

ALI DEAD

04 Jun 2016 04:20

RIP You were the GREATEST. :(
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

04 Jun 2016 04:31

If you wanna go to heaven, you do it in seven.
User avatar Merckx index

04 Jun 2016 05:03

Sad news but Parkinsons is a slow painful decline. Terrible disease.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jun 2016 05:06

" Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?

No, I am not going ten thousand miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would put my prestige in jeopardy and could cause me to lose millions of dollars which should accrue to me as the champion.

But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is right here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality…

If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. But I either have to obey the laws of the land or the laws of Allah. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail. We’ve been in jail for four hundred years.”

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

04 Jun 2016 07:19

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
"The service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth."
"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you."
"The man who has no imagination has no wings."
"Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything."
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life"
"If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it."
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
"At home I am a nice guy: but I don't want the world to know. Humble people, I've found, don't get very far."
"Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong."
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right."
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

04 Jun 2016 07:20

"I am the greatest. I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest."
"I'm young; I'm handsome; I'm fast. I can't possibly be beat."
"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am."
"I'm the most recognised and loved man that ever lived"
"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologise."
"I've wrestled with alligators. I've tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning and throw thunder in jail. You know I'm bad. Just last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick. I'm so mean, I make medicine sick."

04 Jun 2016 07:21

"(Joe) Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wildlife."
"Frazier is so ugly that when he cries, the tears turn around and go down the back of his head."
"I always bring out the best in men I fight, but Joe Frazier, I'll tell the world right now, brings out the best in me. I'm gonna tell ya, that's one helluva man, and God bless him."
"I've seen George Foreman shadow boxing. And the shadow won."
"Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't!"
"That all you got George?" - Ali to Foreman during the Rumble in the Jungle.
"He's (Sonny Liston) too ugly to be the world champ. The world champ should be pretty like me!"
"Sonny Liston is nothing. The man can't talk. The man can't fight. The man needs talking lessons. The man needs boxing lessons. And since he's gonna fight me, he needs falling lessons."

04 Jun 2016 10:16

The worlds greatest, an inspiration to so many. RIP champ.
User avatar Pricey_sky

04 Jun 2016 10:24

Some say the greatest boxer, some say a great person, I don't necessarily agree but if there was one thing I wish aspiring boxers would learn from him it's not to out stay your welcome in the ring. RIP Ali.
User avatar The Principal Sheep

04 Jun 2016 10:45

User avatar sir fly

Re: ALI DEAD

04 Jun 2016 12:37

The Greatest. RIP.
User avatar Tonton

04 Jun 2016 14:28

He was one of my heroes growing up. I didn't understand what he stood for, but I viewed him as a man of passion, conviction, and personality of course. I think Amster's quote above really said it all.

When I was I believe in high school we had an exchange student visit from somewhere in Africa. One question we asked was who was the most popular, or well known person on the planet. Roland Reagan? What about Mikhail Gorbachev? You can guess who he said. Muhammad Ali. And that popularity lasted. I was pleasantly surprised when just a few years ago I saw a mural in New York, and one of the people painted on it was Muhammad Ali. I had also heard a minister speak on television about black youth today, and how even though Ali long ago retired from boxing, and almost as long ago lost his voice, he still remained an iconic figure.

George Foreman, who later became great friends with Ali, was asked about Ali's greatness. He said it's impossible to say if he actually was the greatest boxer ever, but that didn't matter, because Ali was bigger than boxing, and bigger than sports.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

04 Jun 2016 16:24

I grew up during the 70's when Ali was still the champ, but in his decline. I remember watching some of the last fights he fought, not realizing how great he really was because the fights that I saw were not so great. I was a kid, so I didn't really understand how he transcended boxing. Obviously as I got older and followed boxing very closely, I was able to re-watch the fights that everyone always talked about.

I remember when Tyson was at his best and all anyone would talk about was how he would end up being the greatest heavyweight in history when he was finally done, but we all know how that turned out. Anyway, even if Tyson never went to prison, never lost to Buster Douglas, didn't bite Evander's ear off and retired undefeated, he would never be mentioned in the same sentence as Ali in my opinion. Muhammad Ali fought some of the greatest heavyweight boxers in boxing history, and lost, only to come back better and win, time and time again. He had the heart of a champion. After winning, losing, and winning again against the competition he faced, he won the game of life and the sport of boxing. Tyson was a thug who beat up thugs... It was never even close.

Ali was the greatest heavyweight of all time. RIP Champ!
User avatar Irondan
Veteran

04 Jun 2016 18:02

May the 'Greatest' Rest in Peace.
Zypherov

04 Jun 2016 18:32

See ya champ, I'll think of you every time that I see a floating butterfly!
jmdirt

04 Jun 2016 23:08

Ali (or Cassius) was at his absolute best by mid sixties. A defining moment:

Ali was way more than a great boxer.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

05 Jun 2016 04:37

My childhood was large. Wallace and Ladmo in the morning. Lots of public service announcements some with Amanda Blake (Miss Kitty from gun smoke) and Jesse Owens. Jesse had a few public service announcements with Ali and my brother and I would jump up and start smaking the chit out of each other every time we saw Ali. His signature moves were in our heads and dreams. He could knock the phuck out of anybody.
Turns out he was right. Great man. Stood his ground about things, lost and regained everything.. Was a religious example to all.brought my bigot granddad to tears more than once as he delivered on some boisterous promise. He delivered.
His head was not 100% as 9-11 happened and passed but I never lost sight that he was a Muslim. He could have calmed the country if he had the words but he didn't. He is a great American and an example of what a person can represent through belief.
fatandfast

06 Jun 2016 08:35

While I absolutely despise boxing in all forms Ali was much more than a boxer, he took stands on important issues and did help inspire his people
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

06 Jun 2016 09:30

Nice to see that people are more respectful here, than Amsterhammer was in the Thatcher thread.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

06 Jun 2016 13:50

I think he was intelligent but some of those quotes posted aboe are pretty stupid and some are extreme narcisim of the type I would expect from someone like mourinho
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Next

Return to General