Register

The DIY thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

01 Apr 2017 15:24

JayKosta wrote:It looks like all those washers UNDER the cork might prevent the cork from being compressed tightly against the broken fender flange. I'd would just only enough washers under the cork to compensate for the missing section of the fender - so the surface is flat across.

The way I'd do it is sand the fender flange on both sides of the broken section so that epoxy has a good bonding surface. Get a flat metal 'mending plate' about 1 inch wide & 3 inches long with a hole in the center to accept the bolt. Place 1 washer on top of the female threaded clip (to make the surface flat across). The surface needs to be flat across so when you tighten the bolt, the mending plate presses down evenly on both sides and so the plate is not bent into a V shape by the bolt pulling the center section lower than the sides.
Then use JB-Weld epoxy to attach the mending plate on both ends so it spans across the break, and use 1 serrated 'lock washer' under the bolt head.

Jay
I see what you're saying. Here's what I did, and I don't know why this didn't occur to me before (sometimes I'm a bit slow)...

I took a piccy of the other flange (or is it flare? Have to look everything up on the interwebs), the one that is still in one piece. The diameter of the washers is small enough to where the cork presses down on the broken "flange", though. And the reason there are so many washers under the cork is so they mimic the width of the broken part that used to sit under the broken "flange".

User avatar Tricycle Rider

03 Apr 2017 19:39

Have a question for you gardeners out there - are Lily of the Valleys poisonous to wild frogs? (By "wild" frogs I mean ones that are not held in captivity in some kind of a tank, they just kinda roam around in the wild world out there.)

Reason I'm asking is because I have a hanging basket I just re-planted my Lily of the Valleys into, this particular hanging basket tiny little frogs sometimes climb into in the summer because it's the Hilton hotel of all frog hotels. (It has a water receptacle at the bottom, so it serves as kinda like a pool the frogs like to rest in when it gets hot and dry.)

Don't know if frogs actually eat Lily of the Valleys (I know this plant is toxic to other wildlife that does), so that's why I'm asking. :)

26 Apr 2017 20:19

Back by popular demand in this thread - it's gardening time!

Right, bought some gorgeous tomato plants that were on sale recently (two Early Girls and one cherry tomato)... the tomato bed has been prepped with basic plant soil and some peet moss, and this year I'll try a new fertilizer. So yeah...

My tomatoes will never be as big, delicious, and succulent looking as krebs', but hey, I'm still trying.

29 Apr 2017 19:22

A bit inspired, the potatoes went into the ground today.....
Parsley too.
Good luck TR.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

01 May 2017 19:56

Dazed and Confused wrote:A bit inspired, the potatoes went into the ground today.....
Parsley too.
Good luck TR.
That's awesome, DC, one of these days I'd like to be able to grow my own potatoes as well. What kind of sun do they need? (They're cheap to buy in the store, but there's nothing as rewarding as being able to grow your own food! :))

In the meantime, till I'm able to grown my own potatoes, I've bought these gladiolus bulbs that were on sale - have had very poor results trying to grow them in the local soil (plus added other types of soil) in the past, so will try to grow them in pots instead. It's supposed to be easy... we shall see.

01 May 2017 22:00

Right, so sometimes a haircut with your latest dog clippers doesn't go quite right - may I demonstrate...

But that's a'ight, dog, we'll fix it. Once the hair grows back we'll fix it. (Tried them on my own hair today, think I've almost got the hang of them now.)

02 May 2017 13:24

Get a 'comb' that snaps over the clippers - the largest I've found is 1 inch (25mm).
You'll probably need to go to a specialty 'beauty supply' shop, and take the clippers with you, or at least the make and model number.

Jay
JayKosta

Re:

03 May 2017 14:54

JayKosta wrote:Get a 'comb' that snaps over the clippers - the largest I've found is 1 inch (25mm).
You'll probably need to go to a specialty 'beauty supply' shop, and take the clippers with you, or at least the make and model number.

Jay
Hi ya, Jay, the clippers did come with several guide combs of various lengths, but I've just always had this moronic inability of operating the clippers correctly.

Ah well, the dog is still a jolly fat little fella, he's completely unaware of how badly his hair looks right now. Thankfully his hair will grow back, but in the meantime...

I have a lawnmower to fix, evidently the self-propeller belt is broken. Have never had to replace it before, so have to do a lot of research on how to do it.

03 May 2017 19:39

Ta-daa!

Okay, as I mentioned in my prior post I had a lawnmower drive belt to fix, turns out it wasn't broken, it was merely off its tracks. (And thank goodness for that, if I had had to replace it it would have been a much more daunting task seeing as I've never done this before.) Anyhoo, I just had to remove the belt guide and put the belt back in its place - as usual, thank goodness for youtube DIY vids!

Kinda feel like I should have lubed something while I was in there, just for shits and giggles, but that can wait till next time.

So anyhoo, there's my completed DIY project for today. :)

03 May 2017 20:07

We had a bad thunderstorm around here on Monday night, and a lot of trees got blown down - luckily we didn't have any trouble.
Anyway, while mowing today there was noise of many chainsaws and I got to thinking of the 2 most important rules when doing serious 'tree work' -
1) Never 'sneek-up' on anyone running a chainsaw, or any other heavy tools. Always approach them from a position and distance where they will see you.
2) Never wrap a rope or chain around any part of your body - wear heavy gloves and hold it tightly, but NEVER wrap.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

Re:

03 May 2017 22:53

JayKosta wrote:We had a bad thunderstorm around here on Monday night, and a lot of trees got blown down - luckily we didn't have any trouble.
Anyway, while mowing today there was noise of many chainsaws and I got to thinking of the 2 most important rules when doing serious 'tree work' -
1) Never 'sneek-up' on anyone running a chainsaw, or any other heavy tools. Always approach them from a position and distance where they will see you.
2) Never wrap a rope or chain around any part of your body - wear heavy gloves and hold it tightly, but NEVER wrap.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Nope, you most definitely won't want to mess with Ash! (Sorry, first thing that came to mind when you mentioned chainsaws.)

But seriously, both are very prudent pieces of advice that I hadn't thought of... I have a very restless, busybody neighbor who likes to work with all kinds of heavy machinery on his lawn and backyard, so I'll have to keep your advice in mind the next time he breaks out the chainsaw.

PS - Glad you and yours are okay after that thunderstorm!

04 May 2017 15:32

You know it's time to replace those cheap lawn sprinkler heads when something like this happens...

(I like a nice mud beauty mask thingy as much as any gal, but this is most definitely NOT what I had in mind! So off to Home Depot then...)

17 May 2017 20:45

Don't know how much demand there is for this DIY seeing as I don't know if we have any kayakers amongst us, but here's some freestanding kayak racks you can fashion yourself in case you don't want to pay $70 for those "specialized" racks I found on the interwebs.

Just buy a couple of camping chairs ($10 each), get a hold of some scissors for the fabric you don't need, and a hacksaw (which you hopefully already have in your artillery of tools) for some tubes you won't need.

Ta-daa! (The basic principle and purpose is the same, but I saved $50 on this DIY project.)

EDIT: Just took another looky, whoa - they actually want almost $130 for a couple of these! https://www.storeyourboard.com/free-standing-kayak-storage-portable-kayak-rack/

30 May 2017 21:59

Need some help with this DIY, it has to do with tree branch cutting. (Paging Jay Kosta.)

Due to the ice storm we had last winter some branches in the backyard way up high had broken, but they don't want to quite come off. Here's a piccy...

Seeing as I don't want to pay big money to hire someone to do it for me, how do I cut them all the way up there? Or, should I even bother? Will they dry up enough and eventually fall off all on their own? (It's some kind of a fir tree, unfortunately this is as best as I can describe it.)

30 May 2017 22:58

Really high branches are best done by an insured pro.

I do use a 'pole saw' that reaches up about 10 feet and has a large 'pruner blade' and a saw blade. It works fine for branches up to about 15 feet but not more. They are somewhat annoying to use because my head & neck is twisted upwards to see, and rope for the pruner gets jammed, and the saw dust always seems to blow in my face. Plus there's a danger of whatever you're cutting to fall and hit me. I've seen powered versions advertised, but don't have any experience with them.
If a ladder can safely be used to reach the branches, that's a possibility, but you need something secure to hold onto while cutting, and need to make sure that whatever falls doesn't hit the ladder or you.

If you can't DIY, and having the branches fall would do expensive damage, then hire a pro to handle it.
I've had some high branch hang for years, and then during a storm just fall when they've finally gotten dried and brittle.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

Re:

30 May 2017 23:30

JayKosta wrote:Really high branches are best done by an insured pro.

I do use a 'pole saw' that reaches up about 10 feet and has a large 'pruner blade' and a saw blade. It works fine for branches up to about 15 feet but not more. They are somewhat annoying to use because my head & neck is twisted upwards to see, and rope for the pruner gets jammed, and the saw dust always seems to blow in my face. Plus there's a danger of whatever you're cutting to fall and hit me. I've seen powered versions advertised, but don't have any experience with them.
If a ladder can safely be used to reach the branches, that's a possibility, but you need something secure to hold onto while cutting, and need to make sure that whatever falls doesn't hit the ladder or you.

If you can't DIY, and having the branches fall would do expensive damage, then hire a pro to handle it.
I've had some high branch hang for years, and then during a storm just fall when they've finally gotten dried and brittle.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Thank you for bringing me back to my senses, Jay, it wouldn't have been a very clever idea to try and climb that tree on my own. (Essentially, I know how/where to cut the branches, but I just don't have the proper equipment to do it.)

The branches aren't disturbing anything crucial, so I'll just have to wait till they wither and die on their own. (Still feel like climbing up there and cutting them, though.)

01 Jun 2017 16:26

Update on the tree branch cutting (cause I know you guys are just dying for it)...

I just couldn't let it go, while the broken branches weren't going to hurt anything they were an eyesore. (Don't mind the rope, my dad likes to climb it for exercise. And if I had any fitness level at all I'd also be able to climb it.)

I already had one of those 14ft. Fiskars tree pruners, being I had never used it in the past it's a minor miracle I had found the detachable saw the pruner came with.

The result:

The casualties: (I cut as high up as I safely could, it was actually remarkably hard work because the branches were bending and moving while sawing from the ground, and the pole was bending as well. But at least the branches didn't fall on my head, they were surprisingly heavy.)

Now I'll let the branches dry, and I'll just let my dad cut them up into firewood. (I've had my cardio for the day.)

01 Jun 2017 20:11

I understand the DIY 'urge' and am glad it went ok with those branches - they look like about the limit with a pole saw.
Another gotcha that I forgot (and am glad didn't happen) is that the partially cut branch can twist onto the blade and prevent it from moving.

Jay
JayKosta

Re:

03 Jun 2017 13:59

JayKosta wrote:I understand the DIY 'urge' and am glad it went ok with those branches - they look like about the limit with a pole saw.
Another gotcha that I forgot (and am glad didn't happen) is that the partially cut branch can twist onto the blade and prevent it from moving.

Jay
It would be great if I could get the numerous local squirrels to chew through the rest of the branch stumps, or maybe train a beaver to climb up there and gnaw them off. Alas...

It's funny to watch the squirrels climb dad's rope though, at first they'll only climb halfway up, then come back down, halfway up, and on and on it goes. But then they finally make it all the way up, I always feel like cheering for them because it's so cute.

Anyhoo, next DIY is changing the car oil again, I just don't feel like dealing with that mess right now. But I don't feel like paying someone to do it either, so changing the oil myself I must .

05 Jun 2017 20:01

Not sure if I've posted about this DIY before (at my advancing age my memory is failing me and am too lazy to check), but this has to do with car tire pressure.

Upon checking today I learned I was almost 10psi under on all of my car tires, so for checking the pressure and blowing the tires back up to the car manufacturer's specifications I just used one these Slimeball tire gauges and tire inflators. Image

Had to borrow my dad's Subaru cigarette lighter to operate the inflator because the ole '67 Bug doesn't come with such luxuries, but so far the inflator has served me well.

And now my drive should be more comfortable as well as more economical, so I think it's a good thing for everyone to keep an eye on their car tire pressure. (I'm sure we all already do this with our bike tires. :) )

PreviousNext

Return to General