Register

The DIY thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

03 Jan 2018 13:07

My mention of a mogul socket was if the OLD bulb was too large to fit into a regular socket. The mogul socket and bulb base are much larger than standard, and for high wattage bulbs.

I can't visualize how the shade attached to the old socket / lamp. If there's a real 'old time hardware store' in your area they might be able to help.

Jay
JayKosta

Re:

04 Jan 2018 22:06

JayKosta wrote:My mention of a mogul socket was if the OLD bulb was too large to fit into a regular socket. The mogul socket and bulb base are much larger than standard, and for high wattage bulbs.

I can't visualize how the shade attached to the old socket / lamp. If there's a real 'old time hardware store' in your area they might be able to help.

Jay
No worries, Jay, I got the new narrower socket to work with the piece of the wind chime I had sawed to size, everything is holding up well.

The only issue now is the lamp was stupidly designed for a pull-string socket, I'm worried the socket (plus shade) will come crashing down if you pull on the string too hard. It's hard to explain, I'll try to take some pics when I'm at work.

In the meantime I've been working on another project, this time it was a faulty patio motion sensor light. Didn't know whether it was the bulbs or the fixture itself that had failed, so I bought a new one, plus some bulbs, in case I couldn't fix the old one. As it turns out I was able to fix the old one (don't know what went wrong other than the sensor was not in its socket properly), so now I can go and return all the new stuff I had just bought.

Home repair projects - you gotta love 'em!
User avatar Tricycle Rider

04 Jan 2018 22:31

Glad everything is working out ok.
We're expecting it to be very cold tomorrow thru Sunday morning (near or below 0 all the time), but luckily we're not getting the heavy snow that's hitting the east coast. Just plan on 'hunkering down' inside for a few days and hope that all the utilities stay working. This is our 'weather guess' for the next couple of days -
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.09810&lon=-76.0567&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Jay
JayKosta

Re:

04 Jan 2018 22:56

JayKosta wrote:Glad everything is working out ok.
We're expecting it to be very cold tomorrow thru Sunday morning (near or below 0 all the time), but luckily we're not getting the heavy snow that's hitting the east coast. Just plan on 'hunkering down' inside for a few days and hope that all the utilities stay working. This is our 'weather guess' for the next couple of days -
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.09810&lon=-76.0567&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Jay
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, looks a bit chilly in your parts.

Here it's current drizzling, was thinking about taking the xmas lights off the house. But being it's just too wet and chilly for my taste (and being I don't wish to take a trip to the ER because I had inadvertently taken a wrong step off the ladder), I'll just put it off till the weather gets better.

Hope you guys will be staying warm and dry, hope your heating units hold up as well! (Not to mention your electricity, fixing public utility poles I'm afraid is a DIY none of us are equipped to do.)

05 Jan 2018 22:02

Hope Jay is staying warm and comfy, here are some piccys of the antique floor lamp I've been working on.

First pictures shows the clamp that I added a piece of wind chime to, from this angle the lampshade looks off-center. Doesn't matter, though, my clients have the lamp in such a place and at such a position that you wouldn't even notice it.

Second picture shows the lamp in its full glory - this DIY was a bit of a pain in the ****, but this is such a pretty lamp I thought it was worth the trouble and the effort. (Sorry the pic is sideways, apparently tiny pic won't let me rotate a picture.)

On to the next DIY - turns out the old motion sensor light I thought I had fixed was bad after all, the sensor was just all over the place and doing whatever it wanted. So I just decided to buy a new one, now I have to wait till it gets dark to see if I had hooked it up correctly. The suspense is just killing me!

19 Jan 2018 22:44

Not sure about this one, but it seemed like a bright idea at the time. Right...

Latest DIY was making a tilting fence stand upright again - not sure whether the cement foundation of a wooden fence post is coming loose because of all the rain, or if the wood post itself is beginning to rot. Either way I found some use for the branches I had just pruned off of other trees/bushes, here's the result.

There is some geometry and other stuff like leverage involved here, but mostly I'm just winging it till the fence either completely collapses, or until the weather gets to the point where the fence can withstand some more of a proper DIY.

As usual I will keep you ardent DIYers posted.

20 Jan 2018 13:43

Solid surface fences can take a real beating from wind, and if the posts are not deep & solid enough it's easy for them to loosen in wet ground. Re-doing the concrete base for the posts can be a lot of hard digging, and it's best to make sure none of the other posts around it are leaning ...

Jay
JayKosta

Previous

Return to General