Register

The DIY thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

03 Jan 2018 13:07

My mention of a mogul socket was if the OLD bulb was too large to fit into a regular socket. The mogul socket and bulb base are much larger than standard, and for high wattage bulbs.

I can't visualize how the shade attached to the old socket / lamp. If there's a real 'old time hardware store' in your area they might be able to help.

Jay
JayKosta

Re:

04 Jan 2018 22:06

JayKosta wrote:My mention of a mogul socket was if the OLD bulb was too large to fit into a regular socket. The mogul socket and bulb base are much larger than standard, and for high wattage bulbs.

I can't visualize how the shade attached to the old socket / lamp. If there's a real 'old time hardware store' in your area they might be able to help.

Jay
No worries, Jay, I got the new narrower socket to work with the piece of the wind chime I had sawed to size, everything is holding up well.

The only issue now is the lamp was stupidly designed for a pull-string socket, I'm worried the socket (plus shade) will come crashing down if you pull on the string too hard. It's hard to explain, I'll try to take some pics when I'm at work.

In the meantime I've been working on another project, this time it was a faulty patio motion sensor light. Didn't know whether it was the bulbs or the fixture itself that had failed, so I bought a new one, plus some bulbs, in case I couldn't fix the old one. As it turns out I was able to fix the old one (don't know what went wrong other than the sensor was not in its socket properly), so now I can go and return all the new stuff I had just bought.

Home repair projects - you gotta love 'em!
User avatar Tricycle Rider

04 Jan 2018 22:31

Glad everything is working out ok.
We're expecting it to be very cold tomorrow thru Sunday morning (near or below 0 all the time), but luckily we're not getting the heavy snow that's hitting the east coast. Just plan on 'hunkering down' inside for a few days and hope that all the utilities stay working. This is our 'weather guess' for the next couple of days -
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.09810&lon=-76.0567&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Jay
JayKosta

Re:

04 Jan 2018 22:56

JayKosta wrote:Glad everything is working out ok.
We're expecting it to be very cold tomorrow thru Sunday morning (near or below 0 all the time), but luckily we're not getting the heavy snow that's hitting the east coast. Just plan on 'hunkering down' inside for a few days and hope that all the utilities stay working. This is our 'weather guess' for the next couple of days -
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.09810&lon=-76.0567&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Jay
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, looks a bit chilly in your parts.

Here it's current drizzling, was thinking about taking the xmas lights off the house. But being it's just too wet and chilly for my taste (and being I don't wish to take a trip to the ER because I had inadvertently taken a wrong step off the ladder), I'll just put it off till the weather gets better.

Hope you guys will be staying warm and dry, hope your heating units hold up as well! (Not to mention your electricity, fixing public utility poles I'm afraid is a DIY none of us are equipped to do.)

05 Jan 2018 22:02

Hope Jay is staying warm and comfy, here are some piccys of the antique floor lamp I've been working on.

First pictures shows the clamp that I added a piece of wind chime to, from this angle the lampshade looks off-center. Doesn't matter, though, my clients have the lamp in such a place and at such a position that you wouldn't even notice it.

Second picture shows the lamp in its full glory - this DIY was a bit of a pain in the ****, but this is such a pretty lamp I thought it was worth the trouble and the effort. (Sorry the pic is sideways, apparently tiny pic won't let me rotate a picture.)

On to the next DIY - turns out the old motion sensor light I thought I had fixed was bad after all, the sensor was just all over the place and doing whatever it wanted. So I just decided to buy a new one, now I have to wait till it gets dark to see if I had hooked it up correctly. The suspense is just killing me!

19 Jan 2018 22:44

Not sure about this one, but it seemed like a bright idea at the time. Right...

Latest DIY was making a tilting fence stand upright again - not sure whether the cement foundation of a wooden fence post is coming loose because of all the rain, or if the wood post itself is beginning to rot. Either way I found some use for the branches I had just pruned off of other trees/bushes, here's the result.

There is some geometry and other stuff like leverage involved here, but mostly I'm just winging it till the fence either completely collapses, or until the weather gets to the point where the fence can withstand some more of a proper DIY.

As usual I will keep you ardent DIYers posted.

20 Jan 2018 13:43

Solid surface fences can take a real beating from wind, and if the posts are not deep & solid enough it's easy for them to loosen in wet ground. Re-doing the concrete base for the posts can be a lot of hard digging, and it's best to make sure none of the other posts around it are leaning ...

Jay
JayKosta

16 Feb 2018 18:59

This may sound dumb to some but I found in the last few years of my life that not everyone washes their own car. I still do.. Every week I wash cars and motorcycles as part of my weekend routine.
I have found that Turtle Wax , Wax and Dry spray is amazing.Its about 3-4 bucks. you spray it on before you dry the car and you get an equivalent finish to a paste wax outcome.The paint shines and water beads up fantastic.. the reason I am so happy with it is an unseen consequence.. the tiny mist of spray that gets on the windows and drying rag leaves behind an invisible film that has rain flying off .without the use of the windshield wipers.. I have used RainX and I like it so.so..it is expensive and it doesn't seem to last all that long..
When I am done drying and before I store the damp cloth I wipe down my motorcycle helmet including the face shield.. same effect.. any light to moderate rain beads up and blows off the helmet, it improves visibility by 100s of %..

I have found very few things costing @3-4 dollars other than milkshakes and beer that give me the value and satisfaction of this mystery Turtle Wax spray..
Unchained

Re:

17 Feb 2018 11:52

Unchained wrote:This may sound dumb to some but I found in the last few years of my life that not everyone washes their own car. I still do.. Every week I wash cars and motorcycles as part of my weekend routine.
I have found that Turtle Wax , Wax and Dry spray is amazing.Its about 3-4 bucks. you spray it on before you dry the car and you get an equivalent finish to a paste wax outcome.The paint shines and water beads up fantastic.. the reason I am so happy with it is an unseen consequence.. the tiny mist of spray that gets on the windows and drying rag leaves behind an invisible film that has rain flying off .without the use of the windshield wipers.. I have used RainX and I like it so.so..it is expensive and it doesn't seem to last all that long..
When I am done drying and before I store the damp cloth I wipe down my motorcycle helmet including the face shield.. same effect.. any light to moderate rain beads up and blows off the helmet, it improves visibility by 100s of %..

I have found very few things costing @3-4 dollars other than milkshakes and beer that give me the value and satisfaction of this mystery Turtle Wax spray..

Great closing statement! :lol:
jmdirt

21 Feb 2018 22:52

Right, so while the boys are busying themselves with polishing their cars here's another DIY you can do all on your own without ever having to bother those fine Urgent Care peoples. We're talking about fishing out those splinters!

This one happened to be steel (that was a DIY on a stationary bike I am not ready to talk about yet)... Image

Just grab some cotton balls, some Isopropyl Alcohol, some tweezers and some picks, and go to town! (If it's merely superficial, that is. Nobody around here wishes for you to lose a limb due to a poorly performed DIY if it is deeper I'm sure.)

27 Feb 2018 15:08

LOL what strange place is this.....................just got out my pritt stick and went round gluing down

loose wallpaper....................what a trooper!

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

28 Feb 2018 21:34

Okay, so my latest DIY can't really be considered a DIY because being it's cross-stitch the DIY-ing is implied. However, the tricky part about this is figuring out where the last person had left off and where I need to begin.

Thankfully this person (a very dear elderly client of mine) isn't dead yet, but I can definitely see why he gave up on it. Now if only I can make sense of his notes and stuff...

There is a bicycle in that whole mess of things (there's enough thread here to knit a whole goddamn sweater!), so if I stitch nothing else I want to get that bike done.

Stay tuned, about ten years from now I might get this thing finished.

Re:

01 Mar 2018 15:12

Tricycle Rider wrote:... Stay tuned, about ten years from now I might get this thing finished.

-----------------
Oh my!

Jay
JayKosta

Re: Re:

05 Mar 2018 13:05

JayKosta wrote:Oh my!

Jay
Yep, so far I've only managed to stare at the thing and wonder where to start. I'm trying to come up with some kind of a strategy - lol!

My client cross-stitched one panel, so there are only 27 more to go. And some of the thread colors are so similar... I can see if someone had no tv, no books, no internet, and no other hobbies how this could get done. But being this is the 21st century with its modern distractions this is a pastime that only the most die-hard of cross-stitchers would enjoy. (I am clearly not one of those people.)

Re: Re:

05 Mar 2018 13:17

Tricycle Rider wrote:... this is a pastime that only the most die-hard of cross-stitchers would enjoy. (I am clearly not one of those people.)

---------------
And that's OK!
"neither me" - Jay
JayKosta

29 Apr 2018 17:56

Right, now that it's springtime there's a load of DIYs to tackle... besides gardening and fixing up my bikes for the season I also had to fix a broken reclining chair. (Yep, after a long winter of hibernating my **** really did get that fat.)

After consulting some youtube vids it didn't take too long to identify the problem, the problem was finding out the name of the replacement part. (I always hate it when I don't know what things are called.) Turns out it was the torque reinforcement tube that was broken, apparently Amazon has replacements, so I ordered one.

I think it's the right size, will keep you all posted once it arrives and I attempt to install it.
Last edited by Tricycle Rider on 01 May 2018 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

01 May 2018 14:05

Update on the reclining chair DIY (cause I know you guys are just dying for it)...

The stupid replacement tube won't arrive till probably Monday - I know it's the right length, but am a bit worried as to whether the holes for the bolts are in the right place, the item description wasn't very good. The suspense is just killing me!

In the meantime I'm holding the chair together with a piece of wood and a couple of fat wood screws, managed to stab myself a few times with a screwdriver because they were really hard to get to.

It's mostly the dog who actually monopolizes the recliner, his 30 pounds haven't broken the fix yet, so he's still able to comfortably recline.

PS - The duct tape on the wood serves no purpose, it's there merely for decoration.

02 May 2018 11:03

Some recliners have a removable back which might make it easier to work on. Mine has latches on both sides of the back on the left and right - they're covered by a flap of fabric. After the latches are opened, the back can be pulled straight up. Reverse to reinstall.

Jay
JayKosta

Re:

02 May 2018 14:22

JayKosta wrote:Some recliners have a removable back which might make it easier to work on. Mine has latches on both sides of the back on the left and right - they're covered by a flap of fabric. After the latches are opened, the back can be pulled straight up. Reverse to reinstall.

Jay
I see what you're saying, thanks for the tip, Jay!

For this particular fix what I really should have done is remove the whole recliner mechanism and take it apart, but seeing as I was too lazy for that I just flipped the chair upside down and chose to stab myself instead.

On a side note - one can actually purchase and replace a whole recliner mechanism for about $200 and not have to deal with any kind of DIY, but where is the fun in that?

02 May 2018 20:28

My not-yet-attempted recliner project is to make arm covers to hide the worn and frayed 'piping' on the top front of both arms. I can usually re-sew a button without too much blood loss, but that's the peak of my sewing skill level ...

Jay
JayKosta

PreviousNext

Return to General