Register

The DIY thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

05 Jul 2018 21:37

JayKosta wrote:
I also seem to have a "can't throw away" problem with large plastic coffee cans - they are just the right size to store stuff - their only drawback is that they aren't transparent. E.g, 2 quart bottles of motor oil fit snugly in a Folgers can, along with a few paper towels, and it doesn't tip over riding on the floor of the rear seat.

Jay
I'm having a bit of trouble picturing this - why would you be doing this to begin with?
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re: Re:

06 Jul 2018 11:58

Tricycle Rider wrote:... I'm having a bit of trouble picturing this - why would you be doing this to begin with?

---------------------------
- about the oil in the backseat ...
Old car (2001 Honda, 150k miles) that burns a little oil, so I always carry some with me. And NO I don't carry a whole bunch, just 1 coffee can with 2 bottles in it. Having it on the rear passenger floor is more stable than having it in the trunk.

Jay
JayKosta

06 Jul 2018 23:19

I've had one of these for about 15 years and its really handy:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-22-ft-Reach-MPX-Aluminum-Multi-Position-Ladder-with-375-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IAA-Duty-Rating-GLA-MPX22/300330222?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-207043384-_-300330222-_-N

I have a little rubber wedge to level the legs side to side, but it makes me a bit nervous if I'm above about six feet. I Googled but can't find a photo (probably because so many people died using them!).

I also have a standard 5' A-frame ladder for smaller stuff.
jmdirt

07 Jul 2018 15:31

JayKosta wrote:---------------------------
- about the oil in the backseat ...
Old car (2001 Honda, 150k miles) that burns a little oil, so I always carry some with me. And NO I don't carry a whole bunch, just 1 coffee can with 2 bottles in it. Having it on the rear passenger floor is more stable than having it in the trunk.

Jay
Ach sooooo, I thought you were hauling some used motor oil around because you just couldn't part with it... not even I'm that cheap. lol!

My '67 Bug leaks a bit of oil, I carry some extra around in the original bottle it came in. And I also put it on the floor behind the seat, if the bottle leaks it'll do the least damage there. (The inside of the car already smells like gas because the gas tank is in the front under the hood, a little spilled oil behind the seat won't bother me too much.)

Re:

07 Jul 2018 16:48

jmdirt wrote:
I have a little rubber wedge to level the legs side to side, but it makes me a bit nervous if I'm above about six feet. I Googled but can't find a photo (probably because so many people died using them!).
I'd be very interested in some kind of a "shoe" that would even out my pull-down attic ladder, the floor is uneven, which makes one of the ladder legs shorter. (Thereby making the whole damn ladder wobbly.)

I don't want to drill into the wooden ladder because the wood might split - any tips, jmdirt, or other fellow DIYers?

07 Jul 2018 18:36

Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
I'd be very interested in some kind of a "shoe" that would even out my pull-down attic ladder, the floor is uneven, which makes one of the ladder legs shorter. (Thereby making the whole damn ladder wobbly.)

I don't want to drill into the wooden ladder because the wood might split - any tips, jmdirt, or other fellow DIYers?

Maybe one of the rubber door stop wedges would work?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Door-Stop/Rubber/N-5yc1vZ1z0xd7bZ1z114to

You could even glue it on one you find the correct amount of correction.
jmdirt

07 Jul 2018 20:47

About the motor oil in the coffee can - the oil is in the original plastic bottles, not 'decanted' into the coffee can. The 2 oil bottles are a nice snug fit in the can, so they are held securely and don't tip over or roll around.

For the attic pull down ladder, maybe try a gun shop to get a 'rubber slip-on buttstock recoil pad' - explain about the ladder and they'll know what I mean. Or ... can a little be cut off the other leg?

And about those multi-fold ladders, yes they are very handy - I have one that extends to 17 feet and like it. Only consideration is that they a a little heavier than a similar 'regular' ladder - mine will just fit in the back seat if I position it 'just right'.

Jay
JayKosta

07 Jul 2018 21:46

unlike mostly the success stories, this is about a diy FAILURE...my failure.

thought of posting this later after getting my head together, but got some time now and here it goes...

we have 2 printers. one a monochrome, high-speed laser used almost exclusively by ms python for her business and an inkjet el cheapo used by me occasionally and by our kids. not that we are cut off the laser speedo, but that's the layof the land here.

long story short, i needed yesterday to print the amazon return label to find out to my irritation that the ink jet was out of a yellow ink. the display said 'replace the Y cartridge'. it was not the 1st occasion like this, but it was the 1st time i had no spare Y cartridges. what the fork, i thought, and decided to engage the laser for a one-page B&W job.
turns out, it was also out of a toner (sure ms python neglected it) but she is in switzerland now and i had no way of getting the help nor did i find the spare toner.

aha, i thought, there must be a work around to print B&W even if a Y cart was out. turns out, it was a plain stupidity gravely underestimating the corporate drive to force sales a user does not need....

i still tried. google suggested all sorts of things. from resetting the cart chip by a special gadget i dont have, to fiddling with the printer settings to physically swapping the chips on the cartridges...nothing worked. the stupid (or perhaps smart ?) epson loaded with 3 good cartridges out of 4, including the full black ink cart, refused and refused....

i was mad at the creepy business practice, at myself, at ms python...

long story short, i recalled i can print at a local library a block away. i did that. then, i ordered more cartridges from amazon. and finally i decided (for the 1st time) to order the toner for the wife's laser printer too...

i failed at diy, but thankfully amazon made my pain very short lived :redface:
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

07 Jul 2018 22:39

+1 for using the library printer!

Jay
JayKosta

08 Jul 2018 02:47

I hate that about color printers, if one cartridge reaches a set number of prints, its game over. I tried the resetting trick, but it only gave me a few more prints. Most of the time the cartridges reach their set number with plenty of ink to print. :mad:

My DIY advice is don't buy the little reset thing.
jmdirt

08 Jul 2018 02:55

python wrote:she is in switzerland now

Must be very popular with the Swiss, after that recent WC game :)

Whenever I have a problem with anything computer related (e.g., if laptop in the shop) I go to a local Fed Ex store. You can get on the internet there, plus print anything, from the computers, or from a printer/photocopy machine that accepts flash drives. Just be careful to choose B&W if that's what you want, coz the default setting is the more expensive color, I'm sure that's just a bug they don't know about.
Merckx index

08 Jul 2018 15:15

jmdirt wrote:
Maybe one of the rubber door stop wedges would work?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Door-Stop/Rubber/N-5yc1vZ1z0xd7bZ1z114to

You could even glue it on one you find the correct amount of correction.
I kinda like the looks of that "Oatmeal Door Jammer"... it's rather hard to explain, but I just really don't want to cut or drill into the wood. Because then I might as well just replace the whole damn ladder if the wood splits.
-----------
Printers are a bitch, btw., it's not the printer itself that costs that much, it's the ink you will end up spending most of your money on. Not sure there is a way around it.

08 Jul 2018 16:52

Trike my experience is to use a carefully cut and crafted metal studs to imitate the wooden parts.. you have to look at the inside and outside dimensions and see if you can sneak a piece of something to reenforce the long struts.. you can also buy two long pieces of steel and sandwich them using standard hardware or threaded rod w cap nuts anywhere your hands or clothes could rub against the exposed end of the the bolt or threaded rod... you could probably get by for @$10-20 bucks..
I have already called the FBI because you are going up to your attic so often.. what's up there?
Plus what is stopping you from just putting an additional rung at the bottom..2x6 or 2x8.. to make the bottom even.. you wouldn't want to step on it but it would be stable and level..
Large plastic coffee cans..used for dog poop bag storage..
Hasler postage machines!!! They start giving you a low ink warning @30-40 days after you replace the @$65 dollar toner cartridge!! Ripoff!!!
Unchained

08 Jul 2018 20:32

HD / Lowes probably has rubber 'booties' that go on the top of extension ladders to prevent scratching the wall. One of those might work, just fill it with spacers cut from the 'free' paint stirring paddles.

Jay
JayKosta

09 Jul 2018 08:24

@jmdirt
useful information. thanx. i kinda considered the chip re-setter and now will hold back.

@m e
yeah, the shops like fedex and kinko's do all the computer services. for a price of course. it is an exceptional situation for me as i typically have a readily available alternative in-house - from several laptops to 2 printers to using my phone as a modem in case my cable wi-fi stutters...incidentally, i learned only after THAT incident, that amazon can send you an electronic code that one can display on a phone to a UPS code reader. The label will be printed by the shop.

@everyone using/shopping for inkjet carts
prior to that incident i was regularly ordering the re-manufactured carts from inkjet.co. at $4-5/cart it seemed a great deal compared to the generic sets. and they worked more or less after exhausting me with a barrage of messages like 're-install', replace with original' etc...this time i ordered from amazon...the deal seamed unreal -$12.99 for a set of 12 (4x3). that's 1/4 the price of what i considered a great deal. moreover, the pack arrived in 24 hours and when i inserted a Y there was NO the stupid barrage of warnings !!!

and most importantly, they were packaged so (hermetically sealed) that i dont see them drying as the inkjet.com were.

here it is. enjoy
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=MIROO+Remanufactured+126
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 12:12

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I'll figure something out about the ladder. It's a very minor fix, in the meantime I have a much more urgent DIY to tend to. Buckle up - I get to replace a phone mount jack! Here's the story...

The internet has been cutting out at my place for days now, yesterday was just the last straw because, while I was trying to watch several riveting episodes of Scott & Bailey on Roku just as they were in the middle of an interrogation the internet cut out. So fully pissed off I call the internet/phone company...

I'm on the phone for almost half an hour, after running some tests customer service on the other end determines I need to have a phone tech come over to look at my phone lines. If the phone/DSL lines are bum on the outside of the house Centurylink will pay, if it's on the inside I'll have to pay for the astonishingly low price of only $85+ to fix whatever the problem is. I think you fine folk know me by now...

I checked out some DIY vids, after some investigating it turns out my ancient phone/DSL jack is bum, so now I'll have to replace it. I'll be going to Home Depot later today to pick one up, providing I hook the wires up correctly it'll cost me something like only $5. (The other $80 I would have spent on the phone tech I can just spend on printer ink. :razz: )

Now I just need to cancel that appointment with the phone tech, will keep you all posted on how my latest DIY goes.

10 Jul 2018 21:40

Ta-daa!

Okay, that replacing a phone jack jive was one of my more pain-in-the-arse DIYs, just because the colors of the phone cables I found in the wall weren't what I expected. I expected to find a red, green, yellow, and black, instead I found a mess of oranges and blues, and half-oranges and half-blues... it's best to not even think about it.

Thankfully I did find a webpage (from a presumably knowledgeable electrician/phone cable person), it steered me toward the right direction.

So now that I'm all (hopefully reliably) hooked up to the internet/DSL & phone connection) - what do I do with this mess of phone cables I will more than likely never need? (Excuse the mess, btw., I just don't really care what kind of a mess is going on under my bed at this particular stage of my being.)

12 Jul 2018 03:33

If it WORKS, then just put some electrical tape over all the others and CALL IT DONE!

Jay
JayKosta

Re:

12 Jul 2018 14:25

JayKosta wrote:If it WORKS, then just put some electrical tape over all the others and CALL IT DONE!

Jay
I'm happy to report that it does work - I had to use the orange and half orange, and blue and half blue with the red, green, yellow, and black cables that came in the phone jack, my place's wiring is bizarre. (Apparently these types of cables are for commercial type of buildings, can't figure out why a residential home would have commercial wiring.) The NID box looks fairly new (had to figure out how to pry it open, but it's nothing some bicycle tools can't accomplish), but the rest of the house's wiring is probably at least 30 - 40 years old...

Ah well, I'm happy to have saved $80, I would have hated having a tech guy come over and charge me at least $85 to install a $5 part. That's just unacceptable in my frugal world.

PreviousNext

Return to General